Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: mauser stocks?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
gathumper
.224 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: South GA
mauser stocks?
      #97951 - 29/02/08 01:28 PM

Does anyone know of a stock making company that makes wood stocks for 98 mausers? And the stock doesn't have a high comb, but one that is meant more for iron sights? Boyd has a walnut stock, but it isn't quite what I'm looking for.

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CowboyCS
.333 member

Reged: 05/10/07
Loc: Kansas u.S.A.
Re: mauser stocks? [Re: gathumper]
      #97958 - 29/02/08 02:05 PM

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/ They might have what you are looking for but they have loosey service, they are almost impossible to get ahold of on the phone, but if you are patient you will eventually get the stock you want.

C

--------------------
The Bill of Rights- Void were prohibited by law
Stolzer & Son's Gunsmithing

Charles
.275 member

Reged: 13/12/07
Loc: Texas
      #97959 - 29/02/08 02:25 PM

Check out Great American Gunstock company

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: mauser stocks? [Re: Charles]
      #97962 - 29/02/08 02:51 PM

Try www.wenig.com & call them. Fred Wenig used to run the Fajen factory before Midway bought the company. Fred & other staff run the plant & do stocks with custom specs if requred. Also try Great American Gunstock Company - they have just recovered from a fire & I have found them reasonable to deal with. Good luck & Please post pics after completing your project.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #97987 - 01/03/08 12:40 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know of a stock making company that makes wood stocks for 98 mausers? And the stock doesn't have a high comb, but one that is meant more for iron sights? Boyd has a walnut stock, but it isn't quite what I'm looking for.

This link here will provide you with british style mauser stock...

=23&cHash=8555324e55]http://www.kilic-feintechnik.de/index.ph...Hash=8555324e55

They have provided me with stocks to my magnummauser .416 Rigby, .300 H&H and .333 Jeffery.
They all have 44mm drop from the centerline of the bore to the heel....just like the originals. It works perfect for shooting ironsights like I do.

Edited by rigbymauser (01/03/08 12:45 AM)

gathumper
.224 member

Re: mauser stocks? [Re: rigbymauser]
      #98009 - 01/03/08 05:59 AM

I get to have my first rifle built in a few months and was trying to figure things out. The gunsmiths service is going to be about $1000 with the finished rifle but the stock maker he uses charges $1850($2850 all together) for the stock...I was hoping the entire thing could be built for around $1200. So needless to say I can't afford a custom stock. Thanks for the replies.

how do I post a picture?

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

Edited by gathumper (01/03/08 06:09 AM)

dirtyjim
.224 member

Reged: 23/02/08
Loc: texas
      #98037 - 01/03/08 02:00 PM

i've used great american gunstocks for several mauser stocks. they have several styles with the right amount of drop for open sights. they recently had a fire & were selling alot of their stock ay discounted prices & i think they are still offering discounts on the gift certificates, $100 gift certificate is $80 right now. check out their bargain section too sometimes they have some great deals in there.

this is a freischutz classic from their bargain section, i also have rifles in the works with two of their other stocks.

gathumper
.224 member

Re: mauser stocks? [Re: dirtyjim]
      #98058 - 02/03/08 12:41 AM

Thanks,

I really like the oberndorf and at a reasonable price...I don't know much about stock makers, but $1850 sounded crazy. But like I said I don't know, that maybe the going rate.

I wonder if the action-side panels can be filed/sanded down?

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

dirtyjim
.224 member

Reged: 23/02/08
Loc: texas
      #98071 - 02/03/08 03:03 AM

gathumper, the side plates can be rasped off, they also make a european stock without the side plates that has a pancake type cheekpeice instead of a shadowline type.the main differences between the oberndorf & the freischutz is the oberndorf is a slimmer stock, the sideplates are much more pronounced & the butt is wider on the freischutz. the oberndorf will be cut for a neidner buttplate unless you ask them to leave more wood in that area for a wider buttplate. i also have a oberndorf classic & a british express rifle classic stock from them. both were bought from their bargain section & the only flaws were a couple of small knot holes & a couple of very small drying checks.
the freischutz classic above cost me $125 shipped & the other two stocks i've got from them were only $140 shipped. give them a call & talk to them about what you want they are more than happy to work with you.
they will require more inletting than most semi-inlet stocks so don't expect it to drop right in, i would say they are about 70% inletted.

$1850 is not crazy, it all depends on the blank used. i have a freind who makes stocks & most of the blanks he uses average around $400 but he has had more than a few where the blank was $1000+. it all depends on what the customer wants & what he can afford

gathumper
.224 member

Re: mauser stocks? [Re: dirtyjim]
      #98078 - 02/03/08 05:10 AM

Thanks,

I want a slimmer stock with the schnabel forend...I do like the cheek piece better on the british, but I can look past that. I hate to say I'm copying someone else's rifle, but I think ozhunter's 9.3x62 is a beautiful rifle. Something along those lines is what I'm looking for. Mine will be a 338-06 and have a rear peep sight.

--------------------
Isn't that a daisy?

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5128

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com