Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: mauser muzzleloader 45

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
mauser muzzleloader 45
      #92954 - 30/12/07 11:46 AM

Edited by CptCurl (18/01/10 02:22 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: mauser muzzleloader 45 [Re: dale]
      #92964 - 30/12/07 12:11 PM

I have wondered if this had been done. Very Cool.
Looks like the top photo shows there is still a floorplate attached - would be a great place to store patches, bullets etc.
Perhaps a cased takedown version with the option of muzzleloader barrel and centerfire barrel along with their respective bolts could be built up...

Best Regards,
Huvius

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
Re: mauser muzzleloader 45 [Re: Huvius]
      #92971 - 30/12/07 01:19 PM

Huvius,

That's a great idea about the compartment trap. We'll have to do something about it.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #92989 - 31/12/07 12:39 AM

Does this modern rifle that loads from the muzzle allow you to hunt in the primitive weapons hunts?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #93000 - 31/12/07 03:10 AM

A local gunsmith converts M98 Mausers to muzzleloaders by using shotshell battery cup primers instead of percussion caps. The recess for the battery cup is cut into the breech plug, made of stainless steel and removeable with a special wrench through the action with the bolt removed. The battery cup is loaded into the breech plug by means of a slot milled in the right side of the receiver ring, just above the wood, using a small magnet to guide it into the recess.

He built a similar muzzleloader for me, using a Remington style action he built himself, in caliber .577. I use 550 grain lead bullets, which have pre-engraved rifling. This is achieved by means of a die, made from the cut-off portion of the original rifle barrel, through which the sized and lubricated bullets are forced. A 130 grain charge of black powder or Pyrodex makes a pretty effective load.

The Mauser bolt remains unaltered, except for the handle, which is modified to allow a low scope mounting. Tennessee hunting laws allow this and other "straight line" muzzle loaders to be used during muzzle loading season, which precedes the regular gun season and follows the archery season, which has recently been expanded to allow the use of crossbows.

With our present deer overpopulation, I would not be surprised to see fully automatic weapons permitted next. The list of permissable calibers has been expanded this year to include "any center fire caliber", presumably .22 Hornet, as well.

This year's deer "harvest" in my county alone numbers over 4,000, and the season still has another week to run. About twelve deer that I am aware of have been taken on my property so far this year, primarily does, but with a decent buck or two. I recently discovered the carcass of a spike buck, devoured by coyotes and vultures, lying in one of my fields near a road, whence it was presumably shot and left lying.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4366

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com