Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: is it forbidden?...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Rockfish
.224 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Sneads Ferry, NC, USA...
is it forbidden?...
      #9268 - 17/02/04 07:04 PM

I've been lurking about for several days now doing searches , reading up etc... the one thing I've not seen anything posted about has been the T/C Encore... it is a single shot, and is available in a few of what I've seen classified as big bore calibers here... I've also gotten the feeling there are some ill feelings about the 45-70... just curious, any insight would be appreciated...

--------------------
375 H&H... one world, one caliber...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: is it forbidden?... [Re: Rockfish]
      #9279 - 17/02/04 10:12 PM

Rockfish

Welcome to the forums.

If no one has brought up the T/C before its because no one has brought it up. If you want to raise a thread on it please do.

As for the .45/70 most people are just a little tired because many of us are also members of AccurateReloading and the topic of the .45/70 has been brought up ad naseum on whether it is suitable for dangerous African game - eg buffalo, rhino and elephant. As with most cartridges there is no doubt it can kill all three, in fact a gentleman shot a buffalo in Matetsi in Zimbabwe with one when I was there and also tested it out on adead elephant's skull for penetration. But whether it is a "good" or even adequate choice is what the endless debates have been on.

No doubt it is a fine short range calibre when its limitations are taken into account and certainly within its range will kill medium game all day.

Personally that's all I'm going to say. Never used it and if I hunt cape buffalo again or one day elephant I will use something a little more surer.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Holmes
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/03
Loc: Wyoming, USA
      #9308 - 18/02/04 06:12 AM

Greetings Rockfish,

This forum welcomes you, the T/C Encore, and the 45-70 cartridge.

The 45-70 as a DG cartridge has indeed been a source of heated debate on other forums. Quite honestly, the debate strikes me as rather silly. Kind of like entering the Indy 500 with a '73 Ford LTD

The 45-70 is a wonderful and historic cartridge that certainly enjoys a faithful following today. I love to attend the BRCR comps. What these guys do with their rifles is quite amazing.

Often, a successful and popular cartridge begins to take on a reputation that borders on the magical. The 45-70 is not the only load to have experienced this. And, as one would expect, the magic does not exist and what we are left with are the facts... and a damn fine cartridge.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy yourself here.

Rockfish
.224 member

Re: is it forbidden?... [Re: Holmes]
      #9338 - 18/02/04 10:38 AM

I can understand the contention amongst the numbers about the 45-70 being considered a DG round... my thoughts on the matter are, it depends on who's doing the loading... at any rate I'll still feel at home here with the 375 H&H barrel... sure do love that round...

--------------------

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #9340 - 18/02/04 10:42 AM

I own and shoot several 45-70's and have whacked all kinds of small critters up to a 300# black bear and a 225# pig. That said, contrary to what people mistakenly think, the old 45-70-500 was not a good bison killer. Yes they died eventually, but after they had run off for miles. Back then, bison were shot not only for hides but to eradicate the food source of plains Amerinds and thereby pacify them. Everything under the sun was used and the only thing the 45-70 had going for it was that it was a military cartridge. Everybody had one. The round is good for up to 200 yds if you practice and shoot a lot (500-700 rds/wk.) If you don't shoot that much, definitely under 100 yds. I don't hunt with a T/C of any caliber because they never fit my hand. I do hunt and shoot my +P 44's,45's, & 475 Linebaugh. I've burnt up thousands of rounds a month when I was searching for the "truth" in my younger days. Anyways, so much for my blathering.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Hobie
.224 member

Reged: 15/01/04
Loc: Staunton, VA, USA
      #9384 - 18/02/04 02:24 PM

I have 2 Contenders and 21 different barrels but there are only 2 chamberings (other than 12 ga. or 20 ga.) I'd get in an Encore and that is 6.5x55 and .375 H&H. Everything else is really covered by the Contender. Heck, I'm pondering chucking them all for a really good flintlock rifle.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Hobie
"Duty is the rent we pay for life." The Queen Mother
116th Infantry Regiment "The Stonewall Brigade"

DaveJames
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Tidewater,Virginia
Re: is it forbidden?... [Re: Hobie]
      #9403 - 18/02/04 05:57 PM

Heck I love TC's, just can't keep any, if you can find a copy of the African Sporting Gazette vol-9 issue-3 look on page-130 picture-5,, don't know what caliber the Encore is but its a nice looking buff to me

--------------------
"I am always willing to learn,but not always willing to be taught."
Sir Winston Churchill

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: is it forbidden?... [Re: DaveJames]
      #9421 - 18/02/04 07:04 PM

For the ignorant. What is the difference between an Encore and a Contender?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Rockfish
.224 member

Re: is it forbidden?... [Re: mickey]
      #9451 - 19/02/04 03:58 AM

the Encore has a much heavier frame design that will allow the use of high pressure rounds... 7MM Mag,300 Mag, 338, 375 H&H plus the custom shops are building barrels for the RUM's also...

Hobie... sounds like you have quite the collection there... I sold out all the contenders years back... just started into the Encore the last 4 years... I've got 22 hornet, 22-250, 243, 280AI, 375H&H, 45-70, 45X209, and a 20ga slugger... I'm thinking I've got it pretty well covered there... now all I gotta do is get out and do more shooting... by the way my family is from the Shenandoah Valley...

--------------------

Hobie
.224 member

Reged: 15/01/04
Loc: Staunton, VA, USA
      #9938 - 24/02/04 12:57 AM

Rockfish,

If they're like most families here they came through Lancaster! My family was originally through MA and NY and only came here in 1965! I'm what they call a DAMN Yankee! One that came and stayed.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Hobie
"Duty is the rent we pay for life." The Queen Mother
116th Infantry Regiment "The Stonewall Brigade"

KWK
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/04
Loc: Illinois
      #11669 - 16/03/04 06:02 PM

I can't comment on the Encore, but my Contender Carbine is nothing to boast about. The finish is so-so, parts work loose, etc., but it is a joy to carry and the lines are, to my eye, quite nice (except for that etching on the frame).

The Encore, like the new Contender, dispenses with the set trigger mechanism of the original Contender. This allows the hammer to be lowered and reset at will. I recall a transfer bar is used to prevent firing when the hammer is down. My old model has a clunky safety on the hammer itself. The set trigger can be made to give a one pound pull. I think 3 lb is typical for a reworked trigger on the newer models.

I doubt anyone here will berate you for choosing an Encore so long as you use a classic chambering. Any of the better known shops which make barrels for the T/C's will do this for you: SSK, Bellm, Bullberry, and Virgin Valley.

Reamer makers such as JGS have all the oldies available.

Siskiyous6
.275 member

Reged: 21/11/04
Loc: Del Norte COunty, CA
Re: is it forbidden?... [Re: KWK]
      #21134 - 22/11/04 06:29 PM

Mike Bellm is not taking custom work at this time, and it looks as if Virgin Valley is out of business now.

I really am enjoying fine tuning my T/C. there are so few guns a hobbiest can actually tune anymore. I am saving up to have Dave White turn my 35Rem Carbine into a 358/444 (ALPO, BELLM, SDJ ??) even though the 35 already gets pretty lively when the hammer hits the pin.

I have two left handed kids, the T/C has been a great trainer.

--------------------
Pass it on!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4975

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com