Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Is the Remington 700 safari KS SS a good Rifle?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
gator
.224 member

Reged: 03/12/07
Loc: Florida
Is the Remington 700 safari KS SS a good Rifle?
      #90630 - 05/12/07 11:28 AM

I'm looking at getting a Remington # 26157, 700 safari KS SS 375 H&H
(If I can find one)

Basically what I'm looking for is a 375 stainless synthetic.

All-round gun, Occational Africa trips and North American game annually, Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear.
I have a 460 custom I use on dangerous game.

The only thing I've found was someone didn't like it because the bolt doesn't lock with the safety.

My friends have been pressing me to just get rid of the H&H and just get a 416.
My only issue with this is that I have thousands of rounds of 375 and zero 416.

Is then any known problems with this gun?

Would you go with the 416 if it was your choice? or a different 375?

[image]http://www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/cs/700_safari[1].jpg[/image]

Edited by gator (05/12/07 11:31 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Is the Remington 700 safari KS SS a good Rifle? [Re: gator]
      #90631 - 05/12/07 11:35 AM

From a practical viewpoint, I don't think there is anything "wrong" with the Remington 700 KS SS, but I think there are better choices. Might I politely suggest you try finding a Winchester Model 70 Stainless Classic Synthetic in .375 H & H. I've yet to see one that wouldn't shoot factory ammo into groups of one inch and smaller at 100 yards.

gator
.224 member

Re: Is the Remington 700 safari KS SS a good Rifle? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #90634 - 05/12/07 12:16 PM

Maybe this is a dumb question, but wouldn't the heavy barrel on the remington from their custom shop be as good or better than the model 70?

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/custom_shop/700/model_700_safari.asp

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #90636 - 05/12/07 12:20 PM

Quote:

Is then any known problems with this gun?

Would you go with the 416 if it was your choice? or a different 375?

[image]http://www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/cs/700_safari[1].jpg[/image]

You question will cause all types of indesgestion on this site--WE have beaten this topic to death on numerous blogs...

The 375 is typically more user friendly,,ie; recoil, trajectory, all around gun...

With the .416, whether Rigby, Remington, Taylor, or whatever--has considerably more knock down and it is noticeable when hunting the big stuff...

As to Remingtons, some hate them, some love them... I have used them most of my life and have literally shot thousands of rounds through them without so much as a hickup.. apparently others can't same the same..I have taken a custom shop .416 Remington to Africa on three hunts--worked great.. I have other much more expensive bolts, but I have never had a problem with it..fits me great..therefore I shoot good with it and am confident as well plus if it gets lost or damaged I won't have a stroke like I would if a 6 or $8,000. custom was in its place.

If you plan to use it more for dangerous game I would suggest a controlled feed rifle--if you wait a few months you will be able to get the NEW AND IMMPROVED Winchester model 70--If this does happen I plan to buy a few just for the actions if nothing else..

I have a similar predicament as I am going back in May of '08--I plan to take my double W/R 470 and one other gun... As I will be hunting dangerous game and need to shoot bait animals as well.. I have been kicking around taking a .375 this time instead of my .416 simply because it is a bit flatter shooting and if I have a longish shot at a croc.. might be to my advantage to have the .375..

Good Luck

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

gator
.224 member

Re: Is the Remington 700 safari KS SS a good Rifle? [Re: Ripp]
      #90641 - 05/12/07 12:31 PM

Is there an ETA for the NEW winchester? and is it going to be any better than the classic they had out?

Ripp
.577 member

#90642 - 05/12/07 12:34 PM

Rumor has it at mid 2008--but you know how that goes--I would not plan having one to shoot for 2008--could happen --but you know what they say--hope for the best, prepare for the worst..

Kimber also just come out with their new model.. might be worth a look..on the spendy side--probably about double what you will pay for the new Winchesters..but if time is of the essence.. that is also worth money..

Ripp

--------------------

gator
.224 member

#90644 - 05/12/07 12:47 PM

I looked at the Kimber 8400 Caprivi. It's about the same price as the remington with some extras.
Kimber was about 3000, the remington about 2400, and the model 70 about 1200.
Kimber only had the wood stock though.

worst case is I have my sako 375 for moose in 2008.

by the way, go can get real close to a croc if you have some chicken, the older and more stinky the better.

Ripp
.577 member

#90648 - 05/12/07 01:01 PM

Not sure what they have planned for bait for the croc.. I am hunting lion as my primary animal..

The PH said they want me to shoot a hippo the first day or so I am there for bait for it.. which if it is in a shallow pan I would love to whack with my double..

Also have buffalo and croc on quota..

Ripp

--------------------

gator
.224 member

#90654 - 05/12/07 01:37 PM

You'll have a good time. Be carefull in the tall grass, I popped a lone female out about 12 foot away one time.

gator
.224 member

#90660 - 05/12/07 01:52 PM

Back to the question ... SS KS 375 Remington, any other opinions?

This is their heavy barrel stainless from thier custom shop.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #90663 - 05/12/07 01:58 PM

Quote:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but wouldn't the heavy barrel on the remington from their custom shop be as good or better than the model 70?

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/custom_shop/700/model_700_safari.asp

Their Model 70 Classic Stainless has a fairly heavy barrel contour, and in my hands at least, balances and points very well. Recoil isn't too bad either after replacing the factory recoil pad with a decelerator.

By the way, I'm not brand loyal to any one manufacturer. I own, like, and use Remingtons, Winchesters, and Rugers. They all have their merits IMHO.

mlg
.275 member

Reged: 19/03/05
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Is the Remington 700 safari KS SS a good Rifle? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #90683 - 05/12/07 08:38 PM

If I was in the market for a new 375 H&H factory rifle I would be giving the Sako 85 serious consideration. This would make n excellent quality lightweight 375.

However I have gone the 375 Ruger way and I am waiting for my rifle to arrive (Hawkeye African).

Whilst I have never owned a Remington there are a couple of things on that rifle that worry me for a big caliber rifle - namely the soldered on bolt handle and probably more importantly that silly little extractor. The extractor is fixable by fitting a Sako type extractor but then why not just buy the Sako?

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #90690 - 06/12/07 12:50 AM

IMHO, you should really consider a controlled round feed action. You suggest that it is to be an all-round or back-up gun and that you might use it for bears. A .375 could also be reasonably called on for dangerous game work too if your .460 fails and for those reasons alone I think rifles of .375 and up should really have controlled feeding.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #90696 - 06/12/07 01:55 AM

Has anybody ever heard of or read about or seen a problem with a SAKO AIII/AV extractor?

All information I have ever found has indicated it is every bit as reliable as the Mauser 98. This has been my experience also.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Is the Remington 700 safari KS SS a good Rifle? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #90712 - 06/12/07 06:43 AM

I just had my gunsmith put a Sako extractor on my .416 Remington custom shop-have not even picked it up yet--hopefully it will be done soon..

Gator,

As to your heavy barreled custom shop 700--stainless--that is what I currently have--only in blued version in .416--love it as I mentioned in my earlier post..for all the reasons given in that post--it shoots Barnes solid and Swift A Frames to the same point of impact and one inch groups to boot...can't ask for more than that..

For Alaska I think stainless is the way to go--I just don't like it for Africa--Maybe I am wrong, but hate all the glare coming off when you are working that close to dangerous game..

Ripp

--------------------

Yogi000
.333 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: New York, USA
      #90727 - 06/12/07 07:41 AM

Quote from gator---

"My friends have been pressing me to just get rid of the H&H and just get a 416."

suggestion --- get new friends, and go with the 375 H&H that you want! hahaha

But seriously, I own several Remington 700's and they are well made and whatever I aim at goes down, dead. I have read from some people who say they have had different experiences, but I do not know any personally. Certainly the Kimber and Sako are terrfic guns too and I would try to shoot one of these other make/models. It just seems to me that the fit of the gun to you matters so much! If you like the 700's and the others are NOT better in the fit and feel department then go with the 700... Although, at thsi juncture, I feel I have owned too many 700's and am interested in trying a Kimber myself.

The .375 is a terrific round. and as you said freom the first post you have a custoom.460 you use on dangerosu game so the .375 is an ideal gun to support the .460 on any mission in the world.

9.3x57
.450 member

#90729 - 06/12/07 08:35 AM

Quote:

For Alaska I think stainless is the way to go--I just don't like it for Africa--Maybe I am wrong, but hate all the glare coming off when you are working that close to dangerous game..

I'm not sure stainless left alone is a great choice anywhere. It is quite easy to demonstrate the visibility of a gun in the woods or in the open, and I am pretty certain game can more easily pick up the silhouette of a stainless gun than the finish of a dull, darkish one.

I suspect that movement is more of a problem for a hunter than the mere color of his rifle, but though movement certainly attracts the eye, I believe the light color of a stainless gun is easily picked out against a darker background by game. It is very easy for me to see. Combined with movement, it screams alot louder than does a dull, darker or more background-colored/tinted rifle.

I find stainless guns particularly ugly anyway so I don't mind fixing the problem, which fortunately is easily fixed...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

gator
.224 member

#90740 - 06/12/07 10:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I find stainless guns particularly ugly anyway so I don't mind fixing the problem, which fortunately is easily fixed...

What did you do? Paint them with heat paint?

9.3x57
.450 member

#90746 - 06/12/07 12:23 PM

Quote:

What did you do? Paint them with heat paint?

No.

Prep shiney slick stainless surfaces by sanding with 100 grit sandpaper and then degrease with acetone.

Then apply oil-base "Machine" or "Tractor" paint {brush on, available at most hardware stores} mixed 50/50 by volume with talc {not corn starch} baby powder to dull it and toughen it. Some batches require a bit of paint thinner. Camo by daubing with wads of crumpled paper towel.

For olive drab, mix a very small spot of black to a can of yellow.

Wears like iron and doesn't wash off when gun solvents get on it like barbeque black does.

A guy can see a bare stainless rifle from a thousand yards in my big hayfield. Easy to lose one of these camo'd jobs in even mowed grass at 20!

I wonder how many doubles will get this treatment???

--------------------

gator
.224 member

#90834 - 07/12/07 01:42 PM

Looks good.

Ripp
.577 member

#90840 - 07/12/07 02:07 PM

visited with a guy on here last night who stated Serengetti also did it for you if you wish..

Ripp

--------------------

escard
.300 member

Reged: 24/01/07
Loc: austria-europe
      #90857 - 07/12/07 05:54 PM

for some years I had a (wooden) Rem.700-safari (wooden) chambered for the .416 RemMag in regular use. Overall it was a fine rifle, though it had a very slow barrel with a rather sloppy chambering and mediocre accuracy.
As I changed the barrel with a lothar-walther barrel I could gain instantly 100 fps more with same loading data as before but combined with superb accuracy.....
The change of the barrel was not expensive and should be thinked of if you get hands on a Rem.700-safari....also, had a three-position-safety-cocking-piece that secures the bolt instead of the trigger (as found normally on the 700 Rem).

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #91919 - 18/12/07 01:57 PM

browning makes one.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Is the Remington 700 safari KS SS a good Rifle? [Re: bonanza]
      #91970 - 18/12/07 11:17 PM

Quote:

browning makes one.

I have two friends that have used them on several trips to Africa--and they shoot very well--not my choice but each to their own

Ripp

--------------------

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
      #91973 - 19/12/07 12:13 AM

Over the years I have owned a lot of 375 H&Hs. In Rem 700 I have had two of the light barrel classics, the heavy barrel rifles that looked like Rem 700 Varmint BDLs but with open sights and also the later Safari style both in 375 and a 416 rem when they were first introduced.

Also had Push Feed M70s of 1970s and 1980s vintage and also the later CRF models in both blue/wood and stainless.

In the different areas this is how I have found them.

For feeding/cycling:

1) Rem 700s
2) M70 push feed
3) The M70 CRFs. The later CRFs were not good and this was due to a magazine box change which was aimed at accomodating the 416 Rem.

For for accuracy:

1) M70 stainless CRF
2) Rem 700s....but after bedding the heavy barrel Rem 700s were better than the stainless M70s
3) M70 blue/wood CRF
4) M70 Pus Feeds

The M70 blue/wood are often eratic because of how Winchester attach the barrel recoil lug. The M70 stainless does not have a barrel recoil lug. The Rem 700 does not use a barrel lug on either wood or synthetic stocks.

I have also had a Wby Stainless Mark V when they were introduced and that was very good on all counts and with the plus of a much longer magazine than either M70 or Rem 700. But somehow Wby Mark V and 375 H&h just don't go together, all seems wrong

Overall I think the M70 stainless CRF is the best provided is does not have the setup done for the 416 Rem. It is easy to pick a rifle that is this way.

The right M70 stainless gives top accuracy, even out of the box, feeds very reliably and being an M70 and CRF it just all seems right for a 375 H&H. The only negative with the M70s is you can't get the full range of scope mounts as the whole spacing is different on the rear receiver ring. Rem 700s of course take evry mount known to man.

Note The problem M70 stainless rifles have the magazine box crimped in at the back. In other words the rear of the magazine is narrower and this is done by a crimping type of deal. It is very visible when the floor plate is opened.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7360

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com