Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: ..some barrels are bursting badly.......

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
escard
.300 member

Reged: 24/01/07
Loc: austria-europe
..some barrels are bursting badly.......
      #89985 - 28/11/07 06:40 PM

...laboratory test shows rifles, making a shot on a bullet, that is situated some inches deep in the barrel before shooting......

http://www.testfakta.se/Article.aspx?a=16350

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: ..some barrels are bursting badly....... [Re: escard]
      #90056 - 29/11/07 12:46 PM

That is very interesting footage. For anybody that understands the language was there any follow up to suggest why the American rifles shattered and the others did not.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: ..some barrels are bursting badly....... [Re: Bramble]
      #90066 - 29/11/07 02:06 PM

You have to watch these real close especially in the area of the sight, but the only one I can see that didn't rupture was the Blaser.

Now hasn't Blaser been taking a bunch of heat for doing just this---Rupturing? You can see it's fore end bounce but doesn't appear to rupture..

I'm a bit skeptical about these tests anybody know the source. What lab would hang a sheet of white paper up behind a work bench then clamp the barrel in a bench vise to do scientific test of a barrel.

Still very interesting

--------------------
DD, Ret.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: ..some barrels are bursting badly....... [Re: DoubleD]
      #90076 - 29/11/07 06:20 PM

the testing was done by the swedish armys material division.

peter

jaguarxk120
.224 member

Reged: 29/11/07
Loc: Michigan, USA
Re: ..some barrels are bursting badly....... [Re: peter]
      #90110 - 30/11/07 04:53 AM

I think it was a setup to show the blowup of the Browning and Remington barrels. Please note in each case where the barrel held together, the rifle recoiled backward on firing. The Browing and Remington were held VERY solidly and no movement of the rifle. The barrel is a just like a water hose and will expand and contract as required. Upon instant of firing both bullets moving down the bore contacted a second obstruction, vise jaws. Barrel could not expand to allow passage of two bullets and came apart! Was a setup!! TF

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: ..some barrels are bursting badly....... [Re: DoubleD]
      #90123 - 30/11/07 08:49 AM

Quote:

You have to watch these real close especially in the area of the sight, but the only one I can see that didn't rupture was the Blaser.

Now hasn't Blaser been taking a bunch of heat for doing just this---Rupturing? You can see it's fore end bounce but doesn't appear to rupture..

I'm a bit skeptical about these tests anybody know the source. What lab would hang a sheet of white paper up behind a work bench then clamp the barrel in a bench vise to do scientific test of a barrel.

Still very interesting

You must not have watched the VERY CLOSELY, because the Blazer ruptured as well!

They all ruptured, but the ones who made the least amount of shrapnel were all rifles which are fitted with cold hammer forged barrels. The steel in the American are mostly soft chromoly, and button rifled. The hammering of the cold hammer forged barrels makes them extremely strong! However they burst as well, but were simply not as dangerous as the button rifled soft steel of the Remington and Browing. The Browning is not an American made rifle if I'm not mistaken, but are contracted from Japan like most of the Weatherbys

Blazer's problem was not the barrels bursting, but the straight pull bolt letting go!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Bramble
.375 member

Re: ..some barrels are bursting badly....... [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #90153 - 30/11/07 02:17 PM

What reason would the Swedish army have for "setting up" Browning and Remington" ?

As I saw it the lack of reciol was due to all the energy being vented when the barrels shattered and destroyed the forends.
Nobody is trying to piss down your back just because they are American rifles or even Jap made american rifles. I thought it was informative as I have never seen tests like those although we often speak of pressure and bore obstruction dangers.
I have never liked hammer forged barrels, however if that is the critical factor in the manner in which they respond to gross overpressure then I might be sold on them for critical applications when one may not have time for a good check routine between rounds.

Food for thought as I saw it not an inditment of US products.

Edited by Bramble (01/12/07 10:26 AM)

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: ..some barrels are bursting badly....... [Re: Bramble]
      #90268 - 01/12/07 12:53 PM

Quote:

Nobody is trying to piss down your back just because they are American rifles or even Jap made american rifles. I thought it was informative as I have never seen tests like those although we often speak of pressure and bore obstruction dangers.

I never thought you did piss down anyone's back, American or other wise!

All I was saying was the only difference, I can see, that is common to all those with the least damage were COLD HAMMER FORGED barrels, and the ones that burst very badly were chormoly, and button rifled.

My point is the hammering process over a positive mandrel aligns the stress together making the steel very strong,and stiff,compressing the steel into a very tight mass, while the mild steel unduely miss-aligns the stress by the button being dragged thourgh the bore,and if not stress relieved,in some way, is more prone to ill effects by sudden high pressure changes, because it leaves weak spots. This test is a fine example of that fact, no matter who did the test, or where the rifles were made!

Personally I think it was a great test, and simply agrees with the opinion I've had for many years!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #90275 - 01/12/07 01:55 PM

Great insight!!

What kind of barrel process did Winchester use in their Mdl 70?

What does Ruger use in their bolts?

How about Kimber bolts??

AR-15's??

Fascinating!!

Who uses cold hammer forged barrels besides Sako,and Mauser?

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: ..some barrels are bursting badly....... [Re: hoppdoc]
      #90303 - 01/12/07 09:38 PM

steyr is known for there coldhammer barrels.

peter

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: ..some barrels are bursting badly....... [Re: peter]
      #90365 - 03/12/07 12:20 AM

The later Win M70's used hammer forged barrels.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #90391 - 03/12/07 05:26 AM

Mac- I thought it interesting as well. It is common knowledge that some barrels burst while being buttoned. This used to be common with the 1137 and annealed 4140 blanks used on some comercial muzzleloaders. Hall Sharon once told me of this. This fact shows the tremendous stress put upon a black when it's being buttoned.
: That said, the most accurate Bench Rest barrels today, are button rifled. It seems the best 1,000 yard match barrels are cut rifled, and the most accurate commercial hunting rifles have hammer forged barrels.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Bramble
.375 member

Re: ..some barrels are bursting badly....... [Re: DarylS]
      #90411 - 03/12/07 09:23 AM

Dougaboy

Mine was actually a response to JagXK120's comment that was directly above yours. He seemed to think that the Sweedish army were setting up the American rifle industry.

Regards

escard
.300 member

Reged: 24/01/07
Loc: austria-europe
dugaboy1 - you are absolutely right.... [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #90862 - 07/12/07 06:15 PM

the problem in the two US-rifles was the barrel-weakness, not the bolt-system.....
ALL of the tested rifles bursted in the area where the first bullet was driven into the lands, but the two US-products would have put very high damage to the shooter too due to the grenade-effect....
The US-ones didnīt move as much as the others only because the overpressure had a REALLY BIG opening to exit the test-rifle...
Although I have a R-93 too since many years, I think the safest of all the tested rifles could well be the new steyr (because the stock is not built very ergonomically, and the flic-flac-safety-bolt-gimmick doesnīt fit my needings well - sorry....)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3407

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com