Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ruger Compact Magnums

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Ruger Compact Magnums
      #88220 - 04/11/07 12:18 PM

Ruger has apparently come out with 2 new short cartidges as a result of the .375 Ruger--they are in .338 and .300 caliber --titled-338 RCM and .300 RCM -Ruger Compact Magnums... interesting article in Guns & Ammo...

Apparently they are achieving 2750 fps for the .338 out of a 20" barrel--should make an awesome Alaskan Moose/bear gun..The article does state that the .338 does NOT have high pressures..

Coincidently, Terry Wieland just wrote a less than flattering article on the .375 Ruger ... His concern was with the high pressures needed to achieve the velocity out of the cartridge--which by the way,on his chronograph was about 100 plus fps slower than the claimed velocity..no real suprise there..also the lower weight of the rifles caused considerably recoil for caliber of this size

Terry warned those planning on taking this to Africa or Alaska after animals that bite back..to be careful on the loads --as with the high pressures.. could cause a problem, more so in Africa with the heat..other concerns was the "gritty" feel of the action and the "too" small safety on the rifle itself for a dangerous game rifle..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Ruger Compact Magnums [Re: Ripp]
      #88225 - 04/11/07 02:47 PM

As a fan of Ruger rifles, the thing that concerns me is that they appear to be marching down the same trail as Win/USRAC with the spinning out of proprietary and redundant calibers that have little hope of ever becoming truly popular. This hints and smacks of trouble with the bottom line in the gun division as they grasp at straws, trying to create a market among folks who already own many guns.

I've seen the new Hawkeye rifles and in my opinion they are cobs, with a cheap-looking, beadblasted metal finish and a just-as-bad-as-the-M77MKII trigger.

I am a fan of the Ruger M77MKII because they are inexpensive and every gun is a fun project approaching the thrill of yesteryear's sporterizing of cheap milsurps. They are easy to work on which is good since every one I have gets its barrel freefloated, action epoxy-bedded and I rework the triggers. Metal finish is usually pretty good and I like the wood stock design. Once the kitchen table work is completed they shoot pretty well, too. And I like the calibers they came in, particularly the 6.5x55 of which I have 3 and the 7x57. Rugers are normally dead reliable, too, with excellent feed/function reliability, something it seems is not guaranteed in many guns costing far more.

The ballistics of the new rounds are good, but new cartridges to produce old ballistics seems ridiculous to me.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

KM4
.224 member

Reged: 23/11/07
Loc: Outback Qld, Australia
Re: Ruger Compact Magnums [Re: 9.3x57]
      #89573 - 23/11/07 03:20 PM

Seems to me like Ruger wanting to stay on the Short Mags bandwagon with a version of their own, but don't want to pay Rick Jamieson's royalties! (especially since they dropped the WSM's like a hot spud after Winchester settled with him).

Maybe I'm a just a bit cynical, but I'm not impressed with Jamieson's shenannigans after this happened just after I'd bought my Kimber 300WSM! By trying to make a buck out of it, I think he's done his best to stifle the WSM's, but I hope they last long term.

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #89574 - 23/11/07 04:17 PM

Much as pressure could haunt the 375 Ruger cartridge, I think it is a good idea.

I wished some factory would do it 20 years ago, thinking it would make a great sambar cartridge, especially if chambered for the BAR. Unlike some of Winchester fatties, plenty fit in the magazine and it should feed well. Having experienced African shortstroke even while shooting at deer, I think short cartridges must give some protection against it.

If so, maybe even if loaded back for Africa, it could be good for lion.

Fladude
.224 member

Reged: 21/11/07
Loc: florida
      #89696 - 25/11/07 04:28 AM

Quote:

As a fan of Ruger rifles, the thing that concerns me is that they appear to be marching down the same trail as Win/USRAC with the spinning out of proprietary and redundant calibers that have little hope of ever becoming truly popular. This hints and smacks of trouble with the bottom line in the gun division as they grasp at straws, trying to create a market among folks who already own many guns.

I totally agree. Ruger is grasping at straws with this one. S&W has pretty much destroyed Ruger's .357 magnum business. Years after S&W and Taurus went to 7 shot .357's Ruger still hasn't responded. Ruger is taking a beating from imports on it's Vaquero line, mainly because it shot itself in the foot when it decided to go PC on it's Vaqueros (and make them blow up with high power .45 Colt). Ruger's auto handguns are pretty much deemed 3d tier, behind even imports like CZ. The Mini 14 needs no discusssion. The Mini could have been a way to attract young new customers, but Ruger doesn't want to so sell to "those kind of people" who might want to shoot more than 5 rounds in a semi-auto. And so it has hunting rifles...... which are good and solid, but unless it tries to bring in new customers, which it's doing a bad job attracting, then it's got to make money by selling the same crap with a new name to it's same customers. Most new customers don't want a new proprietary cartridge because you either have to reload or you have to pay a lot for bullets. Neither of those options is appealing to first time buyers.

Edited by Fladude (25/11/07 04:31 AM)

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #89714 - 25/11/07 09:22 AM

The 375 Ruger holds 101 gr H20 volume and the H&H 93gr H20.

The factory round is a high pressure round @63,000 psi. The primary advantage is the standardized length so what advantage whatever does a 300 Ruger or 338 Ruger give?? Why even bother??

The bullet velocities may go higher with the Ruger but why bother? Develop a reliable load at lower pressures shooting the same bullets as the 375 H&H in a shorter action more handy gun and go hunting!!

If I were going to wildcat the cartridge I would look at a 358 cal Ruger cartridge in a lightweight carry bolt package. A 416 wildcat?? Although the ballistics and pressure data suggest the possibility IMHO I believe 416 Rigby is a better natural fit for an African environment with lower cartridge pressures,triple digit temperatures and DG waiting to deal you misery if a rifle screw up occurs.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Ruger Compact Magnums [Re: hoppdoc]
      #90380 - 03/12/07 02:58 AM

Just read an article regarding the 300 and 338 RCM cartridges--after reading the article I feel it is a much ado about nothing...they are slightly slimmer than the WSM's so one can load 4 versus 3 in the magazine--also they "claim" to get similar velocity from a 20" barrel versus the 24 " used to chrono the WSM's and RSM's...again, seems a bit redundant..IMHO....

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #90390 - 03/12/07 05:13 AM

: As most people don't think of their normal magnums as "High Pressure" I wonder why many people seem to think the Rugers are.
: The Rugers run no higher pressure than any of a number of 'normal' ctgs. including most of the rounds based on the .473" (standard) and magnum .532" rim size. The Weatherby's also run pressures well over 60,000 PSI, and up to 65,000 PSI in some. About the only 'modern' rounds loaded to lower pressures these days, are the two old H&H numbers and lever action rounds and, of course, the .30/06.
: The Ruger rounds weren't needed, but then neither were any of the Weatherbys or the newer run of WW and Rem rounds.
: Still, I like to play with rounds most people don't have and wildcats have always had a soft spot for me. I just have little use for 'small' bores with large cases.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Ruger Compact Magnums [Re: DarylS]
      #90394 - 03/12/07 05:50 AM

Quote:

: As most people don't think of their normal magnums as "High Pressure" I wonder why many people seem to think the Rugers are.
: The Rugers run no higher pressure than any of a number of 'normal' ctgs. including most of the rounds based on the .473" (standard) and magnum .532" rim size. The Weatherby's also run pressures well over 60,000 PSI, and up to 65,000 PSI in some. About the only 'modern' rounds loaded to lower pressures these days, are the two old H&H numbers and lever action rounds and, of course, the .30/06.
:

**I think that it exactly what some of the negative press was relating too. They were comparing going to Africa and hunting dangerous game--using the 375 H&H vs the new Ruger .375..all things being equal--the articles I have read feel the old standby H&H is the more prudent way to go..lower pressures = less chance for problems..

This is the same issue with the .416 Rigby vs .416 Remington... I have used the 416 Remington quite a bit with no problems but I am also hunting during what is considered their Winter months and therefore have never experienced a great amount of heat....

I agree--I like new cartridges and also like to mess around with them--my first trip to Alaska I used a wildcat --and have used others since--it keeps life interesting...

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#90400 - 03/12/07 07:49 AM

Daryl and RIPP, I agree, but I don't see why ambient temperature is an issue for load development for most Americans.

It is no hotter in an "African" summer than it is in the summer of most of the Lower 48 states. Hot, sure, but safe loads developed here in the heat of summer should be safe in the heat of Africa also.

Heat certainly CAN be an issue if loads are developed in the colder months and then shot when it gets hot. I've experienced pressue signs and in one rifle blown primers of a varmint load worked up in January and then shot in July. I've blown a couple of small thermometers I used to have that I hung on the Polaris Ranger that had a max temp of 125 degrees Fahrenheit. In my pine plantation while shooting rats in the summer I've had readings of 140+ degrees on the shooting deck of the UTV right next to the gun. A net is tossed over the gun while waiting for shots as otherwise it gets too hot to touch. Loads developed here in the summer are NOT going to play tricks in the heat of an African summer.

Nevertheless, I see no need for or hope for the Ruger RCM's. Last a while and limp along? Sure, but they'll mostly die lingering deaths if they aren't stillborn in the firstplace.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #90405 - 03/12/07 08:28 AM

The Ruger 375 holds interest for me due to the standard cartridge length-more effeicient in a lighter smaller package than the 375H&H. Kinda like the 300H&H vs the 300 WM. Am I going to rush out and sell my 375 H&H's to buy one?? NOT!!

As for the other cartridges spun off of it-why bother? There are 300/338 Dakota mags et al with similar capacities.

Only a 358 or a 9.3 bore wildcat would have interest for me and thats getting close to the 375 again--

Maybe a 300 gr .358 cal bullet(.334SD and that weight bullet not made for 358's)would be great for longer distances than a 375 with less drop--

I guess I just come back to the same game, maybe a 375 Ruger but no other wildcats seem prudent or practical.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Ripp
.577 member

#90406 - 03/12/07 08:45 AM

Quote:

Daryl and RIPP, I agree, but I don't see why ambient temperature is an issue for load development for most Americans.

It is no hotter in an "African" summer than it is in the summer of most of the Lower 48 states. Hot, sure, but safe loads developed here in the heat of summer should be safe in the heat of Africa also.

Heat certainly CAN be an issue if loads are developed in the colder months and then shot when it gets hot. I've experienced pressue signs and in one rifle blown primers of a varmint load worked up in January and then shot in July. I've blown a couple of small thermometers I used to have that I hung on the Polaris Ranger that had a max temp of 125 degrees Fahrenheit. In my pine plantation while shooting rats in the summer I've had readings of 140+ degrees on the shooting deck of the UTV right next to the gun. A net is tossed over the gun while waiting for shots as otherwise it gets too hot to touch. Loads developed here in the summer are NOT going to play tricks in the heat of an African summer.

Nevertheless, I see no need for or hope for the Ruger RCM's. Last a while and limp along? Sure, but they'll mostly die lingering deaths if they aren't stillborn in the firstplace.

***9ThreeXFifty7

Agree totally, however if you remember in other discussions on this site,,, that was one of the issues brought forth as the advantages of one over the other...I also have reloaded in cooler temps with some of my hot dog loads used for varmints..but would surely NEVER go hot on any loads I plan to take on a dangerous game hunt whether that be brown bear or cape buffalo.....

As to the .375 Ruger--I have looked at the rifles they are currently offered in and have to say, not impressed..

Ripp

--------------------

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #90414 - 03/12/07 11:23 AM

Quote:

Coincidently, Terry Wieland just wrote a less than flattering article on the .375 Ruger ... His concern was with the high pressures needed to achieve the velocity out of the cartridge-

I generally enjoy Terry's writing, but he's wrong there. SAAMI max pressure for the .375 Ruger and .375 H & H Magnum are exactly the same - 62000 PSI. The Ruger is a larger case. Anything the H & H can do, the Ruger can do at lower pressure and in a shorter action.

Quote:

-which by the way,on his chronograph was about 100 plus fps slower than the claimed velocity..no real suprise there..

I'm surprised. The rifles and ammo have been out for a while now, and I've seen so many chronograph reports to the contrary that I think maybe he just got a slow barrel or his chronograph was out of whack. I've seen several reports of velocities of factory ammo from the 23" barrels of the African models that actually beat those Hornady advertises from 24". Hodgdon now has handload data up that matches advertised velocity of factory ammo below max pressure.

Quote:

Terry warned those planning on taking this to Africa or Alaska after animals that bite back..to be careful on the loads --as with the high pressures.. could cause a problem, more so in Africa with the heat..

Of course, but that's actually more true for the H & H than it is for the Ruger.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Ruger Compact Magnums [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #90448 - 03/12/07 11:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Coincidently, Terry Wieland just wrote a less than flattering article on the .375 Ruger ... His concern was with the high pressures needed to achieve the velocity out of the cartridge-

I generally enjoy Terry's writing, but he's wrong there. SAAMI max pressure for the .375 Ruger and .375 H & H Magnum are exactly the same - 62000 PSI. The Ruger is a larger case. Anything the H & H can do, the Ruger can do at lower pressure and in a shorter action.

Quote:

-which by the way,on his chronograph was about 100 plus fps slower than the claimed velocity..no real suprise there..

I'm surprised. The rifles and ammo have been out for a while now, and I've seen so many chronograph reports to the contrary that I think maybe he just got a slow barrel or his chronograph was out of whack. I've seen several reports of velocities of factory ammo from the 23" barrels of the African models that actually beat those Hornady advertises from 24". Hodgdon now has handload data up that matches advertised velocity of factory ammo below max pressure.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

**Actually I am not surprised--as an additional example, I have several .204 Rugers as well-they have the claimed 4225 fps velocity --I have 3 rifles--have shot Hornady ammo in each and neither have come close to the 4225...they are ALL about 100 fps shy of the claimed speed..in addition, the article was on Hornady ammo and the Ruger rifle--which I have also read in other articles that did NOT meet the advertised fps.

There is also an article in "GUNS" magazine by Holt Bodinson--and while he is very kind to the new rifle and caliber (have to sell that advertising)..again it does NOT meet the advertised velocity.

Now one reads that Hornady has a special loading technique which allows them to load the ammo more efficiently than someone rolling his own..I am taking that with a grain of salt as well..

Then you have the argument of the shorter fatter cases which in addition to being in a smaller action were initially suppose to be more accurate. Based on the past 5 years tests reports by Field and Stream earlier this year, in fact, the older cartidges of regular size have actually shown to be more accurate than the short fat ones.

Kenny Jarrett explained this in a seminar I attended last year at SCI..he speculates that the bullet in some hunting rounds were in the cast too deep .. when the powder ignites, the excessive turbulance causes in the shorter the bullet exiting the case to not be as accurate as originally thought.

As to the H&H vs the Ruger .375...personally I will take the H&H every time..especially when traveling...if something goes awry,, what are the chances of finding an extra box of .375 H&H ammo versus .375 Ruger in other places in the world...dramatically different..

While I agree the Ruger can do everything,maybe..again I am not going to believe everything Rugers marketing people put out..have seen it too many times where the numbers to one degree or another are scewed to make it look like the greatest thing since sliced bread...not.

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#90572 - 05/12/07 01:32 AM

Reread the article--Terry suggests the pressures of the .375 Ruger are North of 63,000-. He merely suggests that reloaders be careful because in order to reach anything near the advertised velocities, very high pressures could be involved.. which equates to sticky cartridges..

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#90573 - 05/12/07 01:56 AM

The thing that really keeps me chuckling over the whole issue of the Ruger "short magnums" {with all their hype, advertising spin, internal ballistic challenges, etc} is that ultimately their whole raison d'etre is just about one half inch.

Heck, if I was to have a rifle chambered in a Ruger Compact Magnum I'd want a Magnum Action so I could seat the longest bullets out as far as possible.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#90575 - 05/12/07 02:27 AM

that's exactely right--a whole of hoopla about nothing--apparently this is meant more for the "refined" sportsman..

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#90578 - 05/12/07 02:35 AM

silly me - I'd forgotten (or didn't know) the current pressure levels of that long tapered around, the .375H&H(I'm embarrased). If one form was to give trouble in heat, it's a long heavy tapered round, just as the H&H. Get the pressures up a bit and bolt thrust locks things up. Since that doesn't EVER seem to be a problem with the H&H, why would it be a problem with a ctg. that has a much better 'designed' shape for handling presssure?
; Everypone who shoots Ackley Imp. ctgs. knows the ease of extraction with pressures that lock up actions with more tapered cases. The straighter the sides of the case, the better it handles high pressure.
; Since the .375 Ruger has greater capacity, it's ballistics will be alightly faster at the same pressure, with the same bullet weight. Because the Ruger has a better designed ctg., it will handle any presssure hikes even better than the H&H.
: A ctg's future life depends on the number of different rifle mfg'rs who chamber it. A ctg. needs a variety of rifles for a basis for acceptability by the public. I think the .375 was a great idea for a fctory round, but whether it survives or not, depends on other makers of rifles.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#90579 - 05/12/07 03:05 AM

The round I really wanted to see "make it" was the .376 Styer. It easily makes 1920's .375H&H ballistics and that's when and with what the .375H&H gained it's popularity as a 'GREAT" medium bore. One doesn't need 2,800fps with 270's, or 2,600fps with 300's. Apparently the game got tougher after the Second World war. 2,400fps with 300's used to be good, as did 2,600fps with 270's. BTW- you 9.3x62 shooters, this is exactly what your rifles will do with the same bullet weights and within pressures easily managed in any heat.
: Whether the .30 or .338 versions of the Ruger ctg. makes it or not remains to be seen. Still, it takes a bunch of different rifle makers to chamber them for them to become popular.
: If Ruger is the only one chambering manufcturer, they will definitely fail.

--------------------
Daryl

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #90582 - 05/12/07 03:13 AM

Heat is an over rated issue IMHO.

I have loaded in Winter (5 - 20 degrees) and then
got on a plane and landed and hunted in 30 - 45 degrees
if not more. Ammo is belt has been damn hot but it all
worked 100% OK in both Bolt's and Doubles.

And some of the loads were "HOT" loads where I was
testing bullets at a velocity as fast as we could
push them - out of 375H&H, 9.3 x 64 etc.

Unless others chamber the guns in those calibres,
it will be hard for them to pass muster.

Ripp
.577 member

#90595 - 05/12/07 05:17 AM

Quote:

silly me - I'd forgotten (or didn't know) the current pressure levels of that long tapered around, the .375H&H(I'm embarrased). If one form was to give trouble in heat, it's a long heavy tapered round, just as the H&H. Get the pressures up a bit and bolt thrust locks things up. Since that doesn't EVER seem to be a problem with the H&H, why would it be a problem with a ctg. that has a much better 'designed' shape for handling presssure?
; Everypone who shoots Ackley Imp. ctgs. knows the ease of extraction with pressures that lock up actions with more tapered cases. The straighter the sides of the case, the better it handles high pressure.
; Since the .375 Ruger has greater capacity, it's ballistics will be alightly faster at the same pressure, with the same bullet weight. Because the Ruger has a better designed ctg., it will handle any presssure hikes even better than the H&H.
: A ctg's future life depends on the number of different rifle mfg'rs who chamber it. A ctg. needs a variety of rifles for a basis for acceptability by the public. I think the .375 was a great idea for a fctory round, but whether it survives or not, depends on other makers of rifles.

Darryl
In reading the article I believe the entire " pressure" concern is as I mentioned in my previous post. Supposedly Ruger has special loading procedures and powders that us "common folk" don't have access to..therefore, to reach the same ballistics out of a 20" barrel at claimed velocities, one might have to load pretty warm... which is a concern hunting dangerous game..

Agree, all things being equal, should not be a problem..however in this case they are not equal as Ruger is claiming 375 H&H ballistics/24" barrel--can be obtained with the Ruger 375 and a 20" barrel --which based on several articles I have read is a bit on the wishful thinking part.. they are close --but have not done what claimed..

Ripp

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #90607 - 05/12/07 06:38 AM

Does anyone know if the Wieland Article is available
on the net ?

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Ruger Compact Magnums [Re: 500Nitro]
      #90614 - 05/12/07 07:40 AM

You might be able to access it in the "Guns and Ammo" site--I would guess it would be available there..

Oct issue---page 32

thx
Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4916

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com