Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Dating Greener GP

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
enfieldspares
.224 member

Reged: 12/07/07
Loc: Great Britain
Dating Greener GP
      #84103 - 16/08/07 06:14 AM

Is it possible to "date" a Greener GP from its serial number prefix, or its "style"? I have one that is a not commonly seen multichoke, serial commencing "C" prefix, and another that has a case coloured action with a "G" prefix?

Can one tell who made each one? Is one of them the GPs that were contracted out to be made by Webley?

Anmy help appreciated!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Dating Greener GP [Re: enfieldspares]
      #84106 - 16/08/07 08:22 AM

Can you wait three weeks until I get back home and get my Greener book out?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Dating Greener GP [Re: DoubleD]
      #84110 - 16/08/07 12:45 PM

I probably can. What are the serial numbers? Also, since most of these were made after the Birmingham Proof House began using date codes, you're probably in luck there too. Since production wasn't farmed out to Webley until 1965, the date, either from the serial number or the date code, will tell the tale of who made it. I have a GP serial number table.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

enfieldspares
.224 member

Re: Dating Greener GP [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #84113 - 16/08/07 09:07 PM

That is very kind, thank you. One is C42534 and the other G75981. Can you tell from your books which is which? I am thinking of selling the multi-choke, BTW. The other is cased!

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #84126 - 17/08/07 02:25 AM

Thanks Enfield:

C42534 should be from 1957, and should be from Greener. Look for the date code (I'm assuming both of these were proved in Brum) to check that. This mark will appear as a pair of crossed swords, with letters in the 9 and 3 o'clock angles, and a numeral at 6. For 1957, the letters are HB. If not, what are they? The letters are quite small and may require good light and magnification to make out.

For G75981, we'll have to rely on the date code. It's a late gun, built during the Webley period, I'm thinking maybe '72 to '74 as a wild guess. There are no annual serial number details available for this period. The date code letters for '72, '73, and '74 are XB, YB, and ZB. Which is it?

Hope this helps you.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

enfieldspares
.224 member

#84136 - 17/08/07 07:01 AM

Thanks, all, for the help and offers of help. I managed to actually contact the current "owners" of the Greener "marque" and they were also able to confirm what ".400" kindly posted, that the later gun was made in 1974 and is a Webley period item. Indeed they believe that as the action has keeper screws but the barrel has no knox-form, that it is a Greener component action with a Webley made barrel.

It certainly appears to have had littel use. The case colour is 95% remaining.

The first gun, the multi-choke, they date from 1961. In both cases the "private marks" impressed at proof are not easily enough viewable by my tired eyes to make out the letters in the sword device. Indeed to me they looked like numbers!

I did know about the date codes "hidden" in the proof marks, but have never come across a table or log to be able to sue them to date a gun. And can't find my loup to read these!

When the picture facility is up I'll post some pictures.

enfieldspares
.224 member

Re: Dating Greener GP [Re: enfieldspares]
      #84173 - 18/08/07 12:36 AM

I have now found my loup and checked the private date codes stamped at time of proof. Indeed I have a HB and a ZB. Although the HB appears almost disappeared during the polishing and blacking process. It is just decipherable. Lastly, what period would a Greener GP, serial H46712, be from, please? I am guessing 1961 as it has MB as the private proof code.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5839

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com