Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Are shotgun stock measurements the same as double rifle's?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
edmhunter
.224 member

Reged: 16/03/07
Loc: Ill.
Are shotgun stock measurements the same as double rifle's?
      #82507 - 16/07/07 08:36 AM

I have been measured for a shotgun do I need to be remeasured for a Double rifle?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Are shotgun stock measurements the same as double rifle's? [Re: edmhunter]
      #82536 - 16/07/07 03:35 PM

Depends on the type of shotgun.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Are shotgun stock measurements the same as double rifle's? [Re: edmhunter]
      #82552 - 17/07/07 12:44 AM

I have had numerous guns restocked, and we always make them the same as my game guns just without the straight grip - (non monte carlo, and all pistol grip with 1/2" leather pads) - 15" x 1 5/8 x 2 1/4" 1/4 cast off. Although, it comes down to personal fit, as some peopole like there rifles a bit shorter for quickness.

Apples and oranges really.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Are shotgun stock measurements the same as double rifle's? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #82561 - 17/07/07 02:08 AM

All my double rifles are stocked with the dimensions from my Perazzi International Skeet gun, which is essentially a sporting clays stock, somewhat straighter than the normal skeet stock. I prefer the straighter stock because all the double rifles are fitted with extremely low mounted scopes, and the scope sight and iron sights line up virtually the same when I shoulder the gun.

unspellable
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Iowa
Re: Are shotgun stock measurements the same as double rifle's? [Re: xausa]
      #82577 - 17/07/07 08:30 AM

Given the same sights and same stock, a rifle would have more drop than a gun. This is why the pistol grip is seen more often on a rifle than on a gun, while the gun is more likely to have a straight stock, especially British guns. The idea is that with a rifle, the game comes in under the gun, while with a shotgun it comes in over the gun. Where this idea gets a little weaker is in rough shooting where the bird is likely to be going away. Fit is more critical with a gun which is pointed while a rfile is aimed. (Unless you have a charging bull at 20 paces, then rifle fit starts getting a little more critical.)

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Are shotgun stock measurements the same as double rifle's? [Re: unspellable]
      #82616 - 18/07/07 02:11 PM

I have found that I like a bit less drop on a DR. Since I prefer a 50%-50% pattern on a shotgun - as much pattern below the "point of aim" as below - that means about the height of the rifle sights higher at the nose of the comb than a stock on a shotgun with about the same drop at the heel of the sock. This arrangement allows the head to be (slightly - about 1/4") higher to aling with the sights but does not tilt the rifle upward as equal adjustments at comb and heel would do.

If you were to adjust both comb and heel you would get a high shooting shotgun - favored in general by the Brits - and a high shooting rifle - not a problem if you become used to a POI at the top of the bead. I just prefer a POI under the bead.

JPK

enfieldspares
.224 member

Reged: 12/07/07
Loc: Great Britain
Re: Are shotgun stock measurements the same as double rifle's? [Re: JPK]
      #82633 - 19/07/07 01:45 AM

Do you need to be re-measured, Yes, and no! It dpends who did the shot gun fiiting. A maker of double rifles such as Holland's, if they did your shot gun fitting should be able to recalculate the measurements.

If you read Walsh, aka "Stonehenge" you will see that he covers this stating that your double rifle should have both more bend (or "drop") and a shorter stock. The cast should remain the same. I think?

I once attended a lecture by the author of a book on double rifles who came out with an absolute load of nonsense. That Walsh must have been very short and with a abnormal neck as he had measured one of his double rifles and deduced his build as if the measurements were the same as for a shot gun!

A shot gun is normally set to put 60% of the charge above the mark. A double rifle will be set to put the bullet on the mark. Further it will have a shorter stock as the pull length for a rifle will not be the same as for a shot gun.

I can't recall why, but it is to do with position of the head, I think. It's why what would be a short length of pull on a shot gun is considered and marked as LONG on the interchangeable stocks on a No4.

I believe that barrel time also is a factor.

Edited by enfieldspares (19/07/07 01:47 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 84 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2181

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com