Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: anyone been hit by a snake

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
anyone been hit by a snake
      #819 - 11/01/03 08:16 PM

Just wondering if any members have been hit,i had a black strike at me and he would have hit too if i hadnt been just a touch too far from it(up high in the guts if he did hit)and while up far north Qld in the gulf while many miles up a river walking with my dogs for a pig or two i looked down and holy [censored] there was a small taipan striking my frigging boot--i danced like i was on hot coals realising i was a bit far from the anti-venene shop.Anyone else?

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: anyone been hit by a snake [Re: gryphon]
      #844 - 12/01/03 09:53 PM

gryphon

My dog has been hit on the shoulder by a Brown Snake as a pup but the snakes fangs did not get in luckily else he would have had a short life.

I have not been struck by a snake, but have had them a couple of inches from my ankles and once when rabbit hunting slid down a steep river bank, falling down onto my back and sliding the rest of the way. Stopping I put my hand down to push myself off the ground and found my palm on the back of a brown snake and its head of most of its length under my back. Following this was a 12 foot leap off the ground and many jumps through the grass.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cchunter
.375 member

Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: anyone been hit by a snake [Re: NitroX]
      #848 - 13/01/03 01:14 AM

While stalking for Impala last summer I was on stony ground and decided to take my shoes off. After 2 meters stalking in socks my PH raises his hand as Sstopsignal and whispers snake. There was an adder crawling away from us just one meter away. For the next two hours my friend didn't leave the pickup!

--------------------

Christer Hansson

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
Re: anyone been hit by a snake [Re: cchunter]
      #876 - 13/01/03 07:20 PM

Have had two mozambique spitting cobras spit me but on the body. I wnated to kill them anyway and later on learned whne they wouls spit they use their heads to spit the venom with a flip of their heads. The moment you see them flipping you duck. I got spit on my leg and just under my arm. Killed the snake and then washend of the venom on my bare leg I could feel a burning sensation. I had a bit of a rash but I washed it off with milk. By the end of the day the rash was gone.

Another bad expereince that I had was picking up rocks from our mountain on the plot we used the rocks for the outside of the house. Rolling one of the rocks I saw a female scorpion with hundreds of small scorpoins still white on her back she and the small ones dropped into my glove. As quickly as possible I ripped off the glove but was to late I got 3 stings from them. Now that burns it burns like someone trying to put out a ciggatere on your hand non-stop for about an hour. Ice and polamarine did the trick I dind't work for the rest of the day though but was picking up rocks the next day again.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #884 - 14/01/03 12:24 AM

The are lots of non-poisonous snakes here where I live but we do have one species of rattlesnake. And I have survived a bite from one.

I've run into other rattlers, one in Arizona on a hiking trip. It somehow "jumped" out of the way from my foot as I was walking towards a mountain stream to cool off. I stopped and photographed her and we both went on our way.

I've nearly stepped on a decent sized puff adder on my frist trip to Africa while I was heading to the "ladies" room after killing my eland bull. The snake was perfectly blended in a small shrub I was walking past. I will never forget the sound it made. It never did try and strike, it was just letting me know where I should not put my foot! I was within a linear foot of it's position.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

DaveJames
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Tidewater,Virginia
Re: anyone been hit by a snake [Re: AspenHill]
      #966 - 15/01/03 01:48 PM

Have been bite twice now,once as a kid cleaning stocks out of the combine by a western diamond back,damn! that hurt. luck the Doc said it was a dry bite,hand swolled up about the size of a grapefruit.Second time was hanging onto an overhang on rocks and got hit by a timber rattler in the back of the hand was sick for a few days.I always wear snake boots here in Virginia for early deer season and have taken three or four hits from cotton mouths in the swamps.

--------------------
"I am always willing to learn,but not always willing to be taught."
Sir Winston Churchill

KingBaboon
.224 member

Reged: 25/01/03
Loc: France
Re: anyone been hit by a snake [Re: DaveJames]
      #1328 - 28/01/03 07:37 PM

Never got bitten by any other snake than my mangrove (always wearing thick gloves when I have to take her out of her terrarium for maintenance, so there was no envenomation), but I have been stuck once by an adult male Cameroon rusty red baboon spider (my fault, I like to play with tarantulas... ). Big swelling in the finger, then cramps for a couple of days (in any part of the body, randomly) and arthritis in the bitten hand for 2 weeks. Yes it hurts! And I brought this tiny male to a friend's huge female, we managed to get 300 spiderlings out of this union .

--------------------

KBab

gryphon
.450 member

Re: anyone been hit by a snake [Re: KingBaboon]
      #1348 - 29/01/03 04:08 PM

just keep those spiders there mate ..we have plenty of bad guys here already like the flesh eating (necrosis) venom of the whitetail for one or the funnel web that has been known to bite through a big mans thumb nail---- ouch

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#1350 - 29/01/03 06:04 PM

gryphon

I found one of the flesh eating spiders here on my farm last year. I didn'r know we had them here.

For people that don't know, the "flesh eating" is where your flesh starts to die from the bite. And it supposedly spreads. One of the only treatments is to cut the infected flesh away

(is this correct? gryphon - you seem to have good knowledge of them)

--------------------
John aka NitroX

KingBaboon
.224 member

#1352 - 29/01/03 06:42 PM

Do these "flesh-eaters" belong to the genus Loxoceles ? And Gryphon, can you catch a few funnel webs for me (let's say 5 males and 2 females) and send them to me ? They are really good-looking!

--------------------

KBab

SafariHunt
.333 member

#1359 - 29/01/03 10:27 PM

Give me a charging buffalo anytime but keep away those spiders. I just don't like them they are just nasty loking creatures to me.

--------------------

KingBaboon
.224 member

Re: anyone been hit by a snake [Re: SafariHunt]
      #1362 - 29/01/03 11:02 PM

I don't understand your point Fred, horned baboons from Southern Africa are true beauties, and some rare species are worth a good pile of cash in Europe and the US...
I managed once to breed Ceratogyrus bechuanicus , South Africa's most common species, and the spiderlings sold out pretty quickly $$$$$$$

--------------------

KBab

SafariHunt
.333 member

#1364 - 30/01/03 02:05 AM

How much money are we talking here extactly it could persuade me

--------------------

KingBaboon
.224 member

Re: anyone been hit by a snake [Re: SafariHunt]
      #1365 - 30/01/03 02:59 AM

If we are talking about Ceratogyrus bechuanicus , a big healthy female can sell for R500-600, and a baby (between 100 and 200 per clutch) for R50-60. Uncommon and much sought-after species (because they are from Zim... ) such as C. cornuatus, dolichocephalus, brachycephalus... can be worth the triple !

Catch 10 tarantulas and you can swap them for a kudu, isn't that lovely?

--------------------

KBab

gryphon
.450 member

#1382 - 31/01/03 06:05 AM

How many funnel webs you guys want? we have them in the hinterland here at Mt Tambourine and dont need them at all.Nitro you are right about the flesh eating necrosis thing,some people have been bitten on a toe so off with the toe then the foot then up to the knee then off at the hip...true i did read a news report where this actually drove a man mad who consequently shot his family as he couldnt handle the pain etc ( me neither)

--------------------

EXPRESS
.224 member

Reged: 03/02/03
Loc: Italy
      #1569 - 10/02/03 09:22 AM

Iv'e kept a lot of snakes and taken a lot of non vemonous bites, it's standard proedure.
A few years ago chasing Cumminghams skinks I was bitten by a Redback (Latrodectus Hasselti) on the inside of the elbow. It wasn't very painful to start off with, but stinging and throbbing quickly set in.
After that I got a numb sensation over face mouth, face eyes, and felt a bit sick for the sext few days...

gryphon
.450 member

Re: anyone been hit by a snake [Re: EXPRESS]
      #1586 - 11/02/03 04:46 AM

Ah! dunny seatus redbackus one of the nice ones in Oz mate,[censored] i`m glad it was you and not me,i believe a few people have gone down with a bite from one of these spiders and you are fortunate you didnt have more probs.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#1591 - 11/02/03 01:51 PM

Express and Gryphon

Funny thing about Redbacks (aka Black Widows). They are virtually everywhere where man is. South America, USA, NZ, Australia, South Africa, plus ?

And they usually are more or less centred around mankinds habitations or where he used to be. There are exceptions of course but they have spread with man and are a nuisance to man.

I am lucky not to have been bitten by one yet but we used to have a plague of them here. They have largely been supplanted by "Daddy Long Legs" - don't know their real name but these attack and kill the red backs. Not poisonous to man though but a nuisance as they are in real palgue proportions and are everywhere with their webs.

For the deer hunters it is interesting that there is a prime Fallow area in North Island NZ where the deer are in tussocky areas with thick bush near the coast. If you search a tussock clump you are almost certain to find at least five redbacks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
      #1601 - 12/02/03 12:29 AM

Snake bites,
Met a guy once at a gun show here in South-Africa.He had terrible marks on his lower left leg and I asked him out about it.Apparently he was bitten 4 times in his bed more than a year previously by a moz.spitting cobra.This happened in the North-West province of RSA.At that stage it wasnt even half way healed and he told me that his doctor said that it will go on for more than 2 years before healed 100%.

Spiders,
My mothers oldest sister was bitten by a Black widow when she was 8months pregnant with my cousin.Nothing wrong with him or his mom today and he is also a regular hunter.only thing I can see that the venom of the spider had on him as an unborn baby is maybe the size of his ears and nose .
But don't be fooled by this true story cause a black widow can be lethal.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

gryphon
.450 member

Re: anyone been hit by a snake [Re: Bigfive]
      #1610 - 12/02/03 06:32 AM

My mate was hit by a common black snake one time this variety are considered "not too bad" but still a worry,but he needed two doses of anti venene to save him during an emergency flight to the hospital.I treat them all as bad as sometimes ID can be wrong and its well known a lot have died after a wrongly ID snake has bitten them only last night a mate and i were walking along the river while fishing and the snake thought was strong in my mind as we were in long grass on the bank.Yuk

--------------------

EXPRESS
.224 member

#1619 - 12/02/03 11:17 PM

NitroX,

The gunus "Lactrodectus" is found over most of the world, they even have it in Italy, so I suspect that you will find them throughout temperate and warmer climes across Europe. King Baboon, you may be interested: the Italian subspecies is; Latrodectus tridicipunctata.
They call it "Malmignatta" which means something like "nasty whore"...
It's a smaller spider, with 13 dull red spots on the abdomen, hence it's name.

Deaths have been recorded, but not in the last 100years, since they stopped doing things like drinking cow piss and large quantities of brandy as "anitdote"

KingBaboon
.224 member

#1623 - 13/02/03 01:36 AM

Express,

Latrodectus are ugly critters to my eyes, anything that has not straight fangs and is smaller than 10 cm legspan isn't a spider to me
Latrodectus tredecemguttatus (some consider it is Latrodectus mactans tredecemguttatus , i.e. a subspecies of the lethal american black widow Latrodectus mactans ) can be found as well in some parts of southern France, and in Corsica if I remember well.

Unfortunately I don't have spiders anymore, sold the remains yesterday : I am leaving my current job, and am about to start my own business. I have to move 700 kms away from the place where I am at the moment, and will have to stay for a few months at my mother's place, just the time for me to put my business on wheels and then look for a new house/flat. Problem is that Mama won't tolerate in her place anything else than my pueblan milksnake and my cornsnake. So I had to get rid of all the rest . No worries, I was gradually losing my interest in tarantulas, but I also had to sell my beautiful mangrove and that pisses me off!
I think I will start again soon, but snakes only, I am currently in love with Elaphe taeniura (always wanted a pair of these huge beautiful peaceful colubrids) and Cerastes cerastes , a bit nastier but so cool-looking and so interesting

--------------------

KBab

gryphon
.450 member

#1624 - 13/02/03 05:17 AM

drinking cow piss and large quantities of brandy as "anitdote"

Ha hahahaaa cracked me up mate

--------------------

EXPRESS
.224 member

#1644 - 14/02/03 10:35 AM

you're right there on the correction of the subspecies name KB, These spiders are quite common around my place, here they are locally known as the "spider of Volterra" Volterra being about 40km away.

I suspect their bit to be no where near as toxic as that of the mactans, lugubris or hasselti, and they are not at all aggressive, I have frequently handled them when they turn up around the house to put the outside.

Good luck with the new business and the taeniura!

deerhunter
.224 member

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #2658 - 06/05/03 08:34 PM

I have done the snake dance many a time. You know the one - where you jump and down trying not to touch the ground. Really shows off the he-man side, always a good laugh for any companion. Lucky no strikes have made it through the gaitors.

--------------------
Australian Deer Association

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4133

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com