Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: modern vs old, 9.3 vs bpe

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
empirevr
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: England,but now Italy.
modern vs old, 9.3 vs bpe
      #80722 - 16/06/07 08:37 AM

Ok so once again im stuffed by problems with the damn bpe guns and their 'tropical finish' created specially by being left in a sauna in a bucket of salt in India for 100 years.occasionally sprinkled with lemon juice just to top it off.....

A rational part of me sees the ease of having a 9.3 in perfect condition, of usable quality and ready to go with nooo tropical finish just a nice OILED BLUED finish.

Then comes the irrational part of me, wishing to get a bpe in maybe worn condition but as close as can be to the above, yet at maybe only 2x or 3x the price.......

How can anyone compare a 577 to a 9.3 anyway? The 9.3 has none of the nostalgia, nor does it have the thump of the 500 or 577 or what have you......

The bpe's really truly are a pain in the rear.

Apart from the rant, have i chance of getting a bpe i can go hunting in the mountains with in snow and rain and -20 weather, or had i better stick to a modern 9.3???

Thanks

Ben

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: modern vs old, 9.3 vs bpe [Re: empirevr]
      #80733 - 16/06/07 12:53 PM

What is bpe?

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: modern vs old, 9.3 vs bpe [Re: empirevr]
      #80740 - 16/06/07 02:11 PM

Black Powder Express.

Get the 9.3!

With the money you save buy lots of ammo to practice shooting and you will still have enough dough left for a good Filson coat for the bad weather.

If you are overcome by the need to gaze at an old rusty cob you can always rub down the 9.3 with 100 grit sandpaper and store it out on your porch in the rain for a few months. Then it'll be covered in nostalgia in time for next hunting season.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: modern vs old, 9.3 vs bpe [Re: 9.3x57]
      #80755 - 16/06/07 09:32 PM

Well I really dunno about this! I would prefer to hunt with a badly rusted and half-buggered vintage Brit double than a shiny new Chapuis any day.

Of course, none of my BPEs are badly stuffed but all of them have the noble scars of a century or more of hard work and adventure. You can't buy that with any money...!

I have hunted in pouring rain during intense tropical thunder-storms, with rivers of rainwater running down my arm and sluicing through the action of old ULH BPE doubles. What surprises me the most is how little water is found inside the locks and action when I strip them down afterwards!

If you think that any 120-year-old double, which spent most of its life in the far-flung hunting fields of the British Empire, has never been caught out in the torrential rain of a monsoon before, you are simply kidding yourself. They were designed to take this in their stride. Fear not!

It's the modern shiny DR I'd be most worried about!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: modern vs old, 9.3 vs bpe [Re: Marrakai]
      #80760 - 16/06/07 10:35 PM

Ben:

There you have it. Both sides of the coin.

By the by, where and what are you hunting?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: modern vs old, 9.3 vs bpe [Re: 9.3x57]
      #80897 - 18/06/07 11:13 PM

Take the BPE!!! This coming from someone who only owns a modern double......which i truly love, but if could afford one i'd get a BPE. In 577 it will kill most anything you want to hunt. And you are not limited to BP only, AA5744 is taylor made for old BP cartridges. I doubt you'll have any problems getting the old gal up and running.

empirevr
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: England,but now Italy.
Re: modern vs old, 9.3 vs bpe [Re: degoins]
      #80912 - 19/06/07 05:01 AM

Many thanks

I am hunting northern Italy,usual mountain boar hunt set up. Mountains are about 6,000 ft tall odd.....

Ok hmm, as Marrakai knows i may be onto one that is HALF decent at least, or most of all, usable, salvageable...

I can see im going to end up with both, however bpe prices rise and the factory made 9.3 cheapies do not......so i can get the bpe now and the 9.3 later without a horrid surprise......i guess......

How do you keep your 125 yr old bpe weather proof???

With my shotguns and small bores,i used to go OTT, filling my Mauser's stock to barrel gap with grease, and going wild with oil after use. Shotguns in mint condition after 1 year with me were show condition!!!!!!!! Ahhh,got to take care of our guns.

Thanks again all,

Ben

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1874

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com