Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Would this work?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Would this work?
      #7818 - 30/01/04 12:52 PM

Would one of these work on a double?

I know they don't look traditional.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nopride2
.300 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Seattle, Wa.
Re: Would this work? [Re: NitroX]
      #7822 - 30/01/04 01:59 PM

Yeah it should work. Plus side is these sights are fast.
Down side, when something the size of a city bus is trying to stomp you into the ground, the battery fails. For my money I'll stay with iron sights. At my age irons are hard to see. By continually shooting with irons, I find that I can shoot well enough in the field.

Dave

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #7826 - 30/01/04 02:11 PM

A C-more style halo site should work on any firearm with the adequate mounting surface and hardware. They are the best for close quarter fast site acquisition and prove very fast especially in low light and snap fire situations, I have had a lot of experience with these type sites. All of my experience with this type site was using the Colt C-more system and HALO site systems.

They work in CQB military type situations and I would assume would do fine in close quarters hunting as well I would think but I know I could not bring myself to place one on a double for shear esthetic reasons, Maybe a O/U? I am unsure as to how recoil in heavy rounds would affect them but in general you will rarly get more abuse then one could on a working sub gun that is practiced with regularly and they hold up fine there.

James F. Nixon III

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Would this work? [Re: NONE]
      #7837 - 30/01/04 03:31 PM

Cough, gag, puke, have you lost your bloody mind, how uncouth you have become of late, its the water and the california presence or liberalism that has infected your natural goodness, not drinking enough hard liquer I suspect, and for that you shall be string Haltered and Gilflurted along with Mickey who wants to scope a doublerifle

holland465
.275 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: California
Re: Would this work? [Re: atkinson6]
      #7853 - 30/01/04 07:05 PM

Amen!!!!!!!!

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #7855 - 30/01/04 10:51 PM

I saw one mounted on a Holland .500/.450 Royal at the Houston Safari Club show. Owner said he loved it. Ugh!
-----------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Would this work? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #7857 - 31/01/04 12:27 AM

snipped

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (02/06/04 04:23 PM)

Daydreamer
.224 member

Reged: 31/01/04
Loc: Austria
      #7860 - 31/01/04 01:07 AM

Nitrox

This is a Docter sight from Germany. Here is the link to the manufacterer in the US: http://www.docteropticsusa.com/doctersight/index.html

Can recommend it. Nowadays some kind of standard equipment on double rifles here in Austria and Germany.
Get the 3.5MOA version for the rifles.

Battery lasts for years (mine is working for 2years now - still bright - for a safari put in a new battery and let it glow 24x7).

I have one on my 9,3x74r Tikka double and one for my CZ550 416 Rigby (as 3rd backup) - just get the standard mount for the 14mm rails (? please measure) and put it on the standard rail on the Tikka - 2 minutes affair - insert battery - mount sight on mounts - put on rifle.

There are different bases available which can be used with a single Docter sight for several rifle models (but you have to sight in the Docter sight when you change from one rifle to the other).

This makes a VERY small and light backup scope to be carried in your pockets all day (sizes like two boxes of matches put together) no matter where you go.

Can be used to 100yards on medium sized games without problems - shot my Tikka with 2-3" on 100meters.

There is a pin on the bottom of the 14mm mount - put it into the hole in the rail resting to the side of the muzzle.

Works great - make sure where the barrels hit at - might surprise you how low the Under barrels hit between 0-50 yards.

For a SxS it sure helps getting on target and with so little weight shouldn't affect regulation at all.

Cheers,

Franz

--------------------
Franz A. Holzer

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #7861 - 31/01/04 01:53 AM

400 Nitro and I originally saw the Holland & Holland at JJ Parodeau shop inside Champlins. I was horrified at first until I brought the rifle to my shoulder and found out how easy it was to acquire a target, even in bright sunlight. I was very impressed with the sight. Now I don't think I would put one on my rifle, but the sight setup worked!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Would this work? [Re: Rusty]
      #7863 - 31/01/04 02:14 AM

Oh Lord help us, even Rusty has fallen to the trappings of Satan!! A pox on all ye merry fellows!!

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
Re: Would this work? [Re: atkinson6]
      #7875 - 31/01/04 03:42 AM

Ray,
maybe you could see around Pierre's hand with one of those sights?

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Would this work? [Re: Rusty]
      #7876 - 31/01/04 03:48 AM

What happens when they get dusty, and the sun is low on the horizon?

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Would this work? [Re: luv2safari]
      #7957 - 31/01/04 04:34 PM

Gentlemen
These type sights are all the rage with IPSC pistol shooters and "Special Ops Types" for their assault rifles.
They do work very good and are very, very fast. The non plastic ones are pretty rugged.....
However they all use batteries.
Every time I an around such sights a couple are always without power...
I do not want any sight that is battery dependent on a DGR rifle. Whether it is for 2 legged or 4 legged DG.

NONE
.300 member

Re: Would this work? [Re: NE450No2]
      #7973 - 01/02/04 04:47 AM

I don't see the battery issue as a concern. IPSC shooters might be a bit complacent about their sites as there targets don't shoot back, IPSC at one time was practical combat shooting it has since become simply another contest against a clock and not as much focus on the implications of complacency such as replacing a battery before a weekend of shooting.

I can assure you I have used these sites on working firearms for many years were a problem could be life threatening and never would consider the battery to be a concern. Some of my team mates still active have carried these sites in special services for ten or more years and this is a group that will not tolerate failure on a wepond system and continue to use it.

As has been stated the latest rendition of batteries last for over a year in this type of site with average use and I have on many occasions left my site turned on by accident over night and still shot the entire week off the same battery, a week were eight plus hours of shooting a day are routine. I have as to date never had a issue with any of my C-more systems or the batteries life.

Simply replace the battery at the start of the Safari and you have no worries. Damage to the exposed site would be of my only concern in the reliability of the system and the only problems I have seen with them was damage by literally smashing the site.

James F. Nixon III

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Would this work? [Re: NONE]
      #7988 - 01/02/04 09:58 AM

Given the base and the base of the sight may be too high, especially in the photo, but could you see the rear sights through this type of device?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NONE
.300 member

#7994 - 01/02/04 11:41 AM

Yes the sites would still be 100% useable as the glass used in the Halo site is completely transparent. So long as the sites profile as you mention would not block the express sites base.

I would not do this to a classic and costly double but some, so long as transferring the site from rifle to rifle is not a concern, will mill a flat spot on the receiver and dovetail or pin the site into place making for a lower mounting profile, though you most likely would not need to on a 1/4 rib style express site.

The colt rendition is lower and flatter I belive then the one you showed with a much larger reticule around 50-60mm and is actually designed to use the iron sites through on colts rifles at longer ranges.

A picture of the c-more system with the rail mount you of course would not want to use.
http://www.andean-inc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TAOS&Product_Code=CMCRWODG-8

James F. Nixon III

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 139 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3855

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com