Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Kynoch closed down?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
empirevr
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: England,but now Italy.
Kynoch closed down?
      #77714 - 01/05/07 12:22 AM

I took my time in noticing it maybe, but Kynamco of David Little seems to have closed down, and gotten into some kind of trouble too judging by an odd accusing site i came across in its place.

Whats this all about?

Ben

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Kynoch closed down? [Re: empirevr]
      #77723 - 01/05/07 02:04 AM

Unless I am mistaken It's David Little that's putting up the warning about somebody using a variation of the Kynamco name

http://www.new-kynoch.apt-sites.com/

--------------------
DD, Ret.

empirevr
.375 member

Re: Kynoch closed down? [Re: DoubleD]
      #77724 - 01/05/07 02:15 AM

Phew

Thanks doubled, they are very handy folks.....

Ben

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #77732 - 01/05/07 03:22 AM

My anti-virus software also gave a warning that the two websites mentioned on the link above (ie kynamco.com and kynamco.co.uk) are "phishing" websites ie collect confidential information about visitors.

Another link for the real kynamco website:

http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

empirevr
.375 member

Re: Kynoch closed down? [Re: NitroX]
      #77769 - 01/05/07 06:42 AM

Thank you too nitrox

Seems they are one of the few/only ones who offer n for bp loads for old guns.

Ben

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
      #77782 - 01/05/07 09:55 AM

I have had good luck getting a decent price on Kynoch through MW Reynolds (www.mwreynolds.com) His prices are much better for Kynoch than Conn Shotgun, the only other US source I am aware of. Westley Richards offers a fair selection of nitro and other 'obscure' loads, I think loaded by Wolfgang Rommey in Germany but sold though Westley Richards in the UK and through their US outlet. The loads I have gotten from them have been excellent.

On the other hand, I have had some series issues with recent A-Square loads I got through Midway USA, one of the few sources that actually have them in stock from time to time. (Cabelas has them too, but in much more limited variety. They are in some of their gun librarys, however.) I bought some 500 NE 3" softpoints and I had some unburnt powder issues after range firing. I put one through the chrono and it was well below specs. I was simply putting holes in paper to sight in a new DR and I would have been upset, or perhaps no longer capable of expressing my feelings, if I had been using the ammo 'in anger' and it wasn't capable of resolving some of the anger management issues of its intended target.

Ever tried calling A-Square to complain? Ever find a phone number for the company? Good luck, and let me know if you turn one up, I have some serious bitching to do. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

empirevr
.375 member

Re: Kynoch closed down? [Re: dnovo]
      #77784 - 01/05/07 10:11 AM

dnovo,

I will be getting ammo direct from Kynoch, i had some from them before, admittedly inert modern rounds for collection, and must say they seemed damn well made to my untrained eye.

Besides, nobody else seems to sell those rounds for the bp guns, n for bp or bp, i have looked around a fair bit too.

Think they have the market cornered on nitro for bp rounds, and bp cases and components.

A-square seem to make pretty good bolt rifles, but i know nothing of the ammo. Thanks for the warning anyway.

Ben

Schamankungulo
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/07
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #77792 - 01/05/07 11:28 AM

I've got a phone number somewhere for a square , will put it up when I find it ..
I think the ammunition leaves a lot to be desired ..

The rifles need to be redesigned as well .. I know several who have the 495 and 500 and love them , with a few misgivings ..

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: York, England
      #77819 - 02/05/07 02:00 AM

Gentlemen

Rest assured David and Sue Little keep the Kynoch Lion roaring, the caveat on their website is in response to the parellel posting on a deliberatley similar website by some faceless heros [sic]attempting to defame David over a historical matter upon which he had no involvement. That matter is being dealt with but in the meantime it is fully business as usual and Kynoch are about to bring .500/416 flanged into full production to add to the exirting line of cartridges offered.

Jonathan

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Kynoch closed down? [Re: JTOMLINSON]
      #77840 - 02/05/07 06:11 AM

What about this website?

http://www.kynochusa.com/

empirevr
.375 member

Re: Kynoch closed down? [Re: 500grains]
      #77842 - 02/05/07 06:46 AM

That last site is a retailer for Kynamco isnt it?

Not quite the same thing though, say i noting the lack of nitro for bp loads! For those of us who are pretty damn new to the big bores, reloading seems a little daunting....perhaps with time it wont.

Little's prices are fine with me.

I think i was on another certain website some years back, and found myself fighting for Kynamco's corner against a couple of guys from Denmark, who insisted that they didnt make very good cartridges. Odd and then they went on to recommend a German manufacturer. Cant remember who.

Hmm, Germany didnt do much with double guns and big game hunting, even Belgium had 10 times the interest in it that the Germans did.(not sure how/why)So i cannot see how there would be a great deal of experience with big game cartridges there, unless it is related to the Mauser's introduction as a sporting arm?

Anyway for bp stuff i cant think of anyone but Kynamco......im talking loaded rounds here.

Just sharing ponderous thoughts.

Ben

Speedswing
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/07
Loc: Made in USA
      #77850 - 02/05/07 09:53 AM

Quote:

I have had good luck getting a decent price on Kynoch through MW Reynolds (www.mwreynolds.com) His prices are much better for Kynoch than Conn Shotgun, the only other US source I am aware of. Westley Richards offers a fair selection of nitro and other 'obscure' loads, I think loaded by Wolfgang Rommey in Germany but sold though Westley Richards in the UK and through their US outlet. The loads I have gotten from them have been excellent.

On the other hand, I have had some series issues with recent A-Square loads I got through Midway USA, one of the few sources that actually have them in stock from time to time. (Cabelas has them too, but in much more limited variety. They are in some of their gun librarys, however.) I bought some 500 NE 3" softpoints and I had some unburnt powder issues after range firing. I put one through the chrono and it was well below specs. I was simply putting holes in paper to sight in a new DR and I would have been upset, or perhaps no longer capable of expressing my feelings, if I had been using the ammo 'in anger' and it wasn't capable of resolving some of the anger management issues of its intended target.

Ever tried calling A-Square to complain? Ever find a phone number for the company? Good luck, and let me know if you turn one up, I have some serious bitching to do. Dave

Telephone # for A-Square.................. 812-283-1284

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #77853 - 02/05/07 11:53 AM

Quote:

.... they went on to recommend a German manufacturer. Cant remember who.

Perhaps Wolfgang Romney.

They make a bunch of NE and other cartridges including the at the time brand new .500/.416 for Krieghoff. At least for some of their cartridges they load Woodleigh bullets.

I don't believe Romney has a website at all.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Re: Kynoch closed down? [Re: 500grains]
      #77866 - 02/05/07 06:17 PM

Quote:

What about this website?

http://www.kynochusa.com/

Dan

KynochUSA is not, as far as I can gather the official outlet for Kynoch in the USA, the only appointed distributor who takes supplies from Kynamco is Conneticut Shotgun Manufacturing (Galazans ??) as to where Kynoch USA get there Kynoch ammo I do not know, nor when I spoke to Sue Little some weeks back, did she. I guess however as long as it is recent manufacture and the price is good, that is what counts.

Wolfgang Romey is still manufacturing ammunition in Germany, he does not have a website as his outfit is more analagous to that of a hand-loading industry rather than mass production, which to a degree can be said of Kynamco as much of their big game ammunition is also hand assembled, only the higher vloume output cartridges such as .303 are assembled on semi-automated machinery.

Kynamco's output of sporting cartridges is comparatively modest to its total cartridge out per- se. David told me that they make around 20,000 rounds a year of ALL sporting calibres the bulk of their output being confined to industrial cartridges for the electrical and oil pipleine industries, blank cartridges for cowboy re-enactors and military applications and cattle killer cartridges.

I do not know how many cartridges Romey makes anually, he still supplies ammunition for Westley Richards which by a happy coincidence bears his WR headstamp. The most recent cartridges introduced by Holland and Holland the .400 and .465 Belted also appear to have been developed and made by Herr Romey.

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Re: Kynoch closed down? [Re: Schamankungulo]
      #77867 - 02/05/07 06:29 PM

Quote:

I've got a phone number somewhere for a square , will put it up when I find it ..
I think the ammunition leaves a lot to be desired ..

You aint kidding!

I have seen problems with A2 factory ammo that cold have given rise to extremely serious problems had it been fired in a gun. Admittedly it was manufactured quite a few years ago now and prior to the new "reincarnated A2" nonetheless the problems should not have existed.

I have examples of .458 Lott A2 headstamped and loaded with the Monolithic solid and some of the cases are loaded on the unshortened full length .532" head diameter basic brass that is a full 2.850" long, this is .050" longer than the chamber spec for the Lott cartridge, firing these could and most probably would have given rise to massive opver pressure as the bullet would have become entrapped on firing. I can only guiess that Brass cases intended for another of the full length .458's then loaded by A2 (Watts or possibly the Ackley) got mixed with brass intended for the Lott round, the long examples had .458 Lott on the headstamp, for anyone who wasn't given to checking each and every round prior to firing it, the consequences could have been significant.

Schamankungulo
.300 member

#77878 - 03/05/07 01:19 AM

Well in all fairness to A2 on the Lott , at one time there were some Lott chambers that were 2.85" long ..

Edited by Schamankungulo (03/05/07 01:20 AM)

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Re: Kynoch closed down? [Re: Schamankungulo]
      #77931 - 03/05/07 07:21 PM

Quote:

Well in all fairness to A2 on the Lott , at one time there were some Lott chambers that were 2.85" long ..

You may well be right, but the only full length 2.850" .458 I have seen here in the UK was for the Watts chamber, a drawing I have seen in a 1973 edition of Guns and Ammo in an article by the Jack Lott called for a 2.800" chamber.

The A2 boxes of ammo I had were all headstamped 458 Lott, in one of the 20 round boxes I opened it contained 4 cartridges with the over long cases. A second box from the same batch contained one such example which I still have. It has to be said this was some years ago, maybe things are better now.

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
      #77994 - 04/05/07 11:02 PM

The Hornady 458 Lott loads seem to function quite well in my A-Square Hannibal. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Schamankungulo
.300 member

#78012 - 05/05/07 04:52 AM

I never understood why some were cut to 2.850" while it called for 2.800" ..

I think the " Triad " is just a bunch of hype , I dont feel they are what they should be performance wise given all the hype that surrouded them ..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5551

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com