Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Build a hammer double on a Rossi?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
hobbyguymaine
.224 member

Reged: 03/02/07
Loc: Maine USA
Build a hammer double on a Rossi?
      #71231 - 11/02/07 03:38 PM

I’ve been spending far too much time on this and other DR & bigbore forum sites, also doing internet searches, and online gun auctions! Night before last ordered a copy of: “Building DOUBLE RIFLES on Shotgun Actions By W. Ellis Brown”, but guessing it’ll take a couple weeks to get here. Yesterday I bought a copy of “The gun and It’s Development” by W.W.Greener, and have been studying all my old Gun Digests & Shooter’s Bibles, also my gunsmithing books, have done multiple searches on this site (and others!) and still don’t quite completely understand the criteria for what makes a double shotgun a likely candidate for a double rifle conversion. I’ve got to be honest and admit that determining the strength of a break open gun lockup system has been a bit of a mystery for me over the years, and strangely enough, while reading and researching recalled my old gunsmith buddy/mentor Christian Helbig explaining it to me 40 years ago, but I don’t think it really sank in then either!

The old double rifle bug has bitten again after reading and rereading Teddy Roosevelt's "African Game Trails" 50 years ago (at the age of 10), along with Jim Corbetts "Maneaters ...", and anything else our library had on hunting in Africa and IndoChina and So. America (besides Alaska and B.C.) - those guys carried 450s & 475s & 500s ... in Purdy doubles! I'll probably never hunt outside of Maine and certainly don't need a double but I've always bird hunted and occasionally deer hunted with my Rossi hammer double coachguns! They carried and (for me) swung nicely in our heavy cover here on the farm, I'm loading 12,20 & 410 brass cases with o'size CircleFly wads and that should satisfy, but after years of drooling over double rifle ads (more expensive than a new car back then even!) when I saw the first Kodiak 45-70 news ... I was hooked, kind of. There was talk of 2 sets of sights instead of proper regulating, also talk of sometimes mediocre quality, and they were a little pricey even back when - though after seeing the new prices, wish I'd bought one back when! Id love a new SIACE Yukon or Pedersoli Kodiak 45-70 hammer double, either in fitted hard case with spare 20ga tubes, be lucky to find one used for $3,500- (could've done that last year!) - new around $10,000- for the upper end (don't think I could've justified that either!).

Short of selling 4 or 5 (or more) of my rifles to do it, I'll likely never be able to afford a cartridge double rifle (too bad I don't enjoy muzzleloaders more - Pedersoli's frontstuffer doubles are under $1,000-). As I'd explained, I love my Rossi hammer double shotguns and unless somebody convinces me not to for some rational reason, am considering picking up a couple more as I can buy them for around $250-. I'm thinking about a 50-110 or 45-90 on a 20ga frame (though afraid I'd probably have use a 12ga frame), maybe a 38-55 or 25-35, or 32-40 on a 20ga. I've got to believe they're reasonably strong as all were factory chambered for 3" shells, are double lug mono block actions with a Greeley crossbolt on earlier production. The actions are blued - never seen a casehardened, nicely fitted on earlier '70s/early '80s production. I haven't cut one up ... yet, but I can almost see the barrel/block junction under the engraving - looks like they'll come apart okay with some heat and I'm thinking of turning a couple Green Mountain blanks to a 24/25" length w/appropriate contour, maybe a fine thread plus solder in the block. There's still a new extractor to be built and fitted, 2 chambers to cut, unless strictly low pressure black powder loads (and even if so) firing pins look a bit fat and I'm guessing will need to be bushed. I haven't mentioned or forgotten new barrel ribs and wedges, plus soldering plus sights plus playing with loads and reregulating, etc. - not a walk in the park by any means!

I'm not thinking about this for just "cheapskate and practical reasons", but because: 1.) I can buy another 20 and 12 Rossi for around $500- for the pair, not breaking the bank or forcing selling other guns to afford it, 2.) Though no longer in production they're reasonably readily available should I need another down the road, 3.) Later production guns have an undrilled Greener rib extension on the barrels and no top crossbolt on the action - though locks and triggers, etc appear to be identical - plan would be to fit up an undrilled for crossbolt set of shotgun barrels to a crossbolt equipped action to end up with a rifle w/spare shotgun tubes w/fitted forend for each (leftover spare buttstock, action and sidelocks too!), 4.) available in both 20 & 12 (shame no 16 too!), so can build reasonably nicely balanced double rifle, 5.) I could end up with 2 hammer doubles in large lower pressure black powder cartridges which are not widely commercially available in higher pressure smokeless loads and mark for black powder only, with shotgun barrels to boot. I prefer hammer guns w/only 1/2 cock safety, I've hunted with these Rossi guns since I special ordered one 35 years ago, price aside I can't realistically get a new Pedersoli in my favorite rimmed calibers (except for 45-70). I don't know that I'll finish one conversion much less two, but handled properly I'd only hack up 2, not all 4! If you're aware of any logical engineering/gunsmithing reasons that these Rossi guns are not as sensible a candidate for conversion as an older hammer double or other modern European/Chinese hammer double/coachguns, please advise! I haven't loosened up mine, or heard of anyone else doing so - are there better hammergun candidates I'm missing. If I proceed with this I need to close the deal on 1 or 2 gun purchases very shortly, and though I could resell them readily without losing my shirt, hate to do so - between FFL copies and lots of emails and shipping and GunBroker fees, I don't need the aggravation! Just wish I knew for sure they were metallurgically as good as my Rossi leveractions, and that the Brazilian built action was mechanically equal to others out there!

Any help or experience or speculation would be appreciated, Thanks, Joe (hobbyguymaine)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Build a hammer double on a Rossi? [Re: hobbyguymaine]
      #71271 - 12/02/07 04:39 AM

HG,
All of the Rossi guns that I have seen were furnace-brazed, not soft-soldered. Trying to remove the tubes from the monoblock, without a furnace, would be a nightmare at best.I personally would not dream of attempting it with an oxy-acetylene torch.

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Build a hammer double on a Rossi? [Re: Ron_Vella]
      #71346 - 13/02/07 04:51 AM

I wouldent even try to remove them with heat. Just ream them out a bit at a time with an expanding/adustable reamer or two. The brass will let you know when you have a couple of thou to go.

Regards

hobbyguymaine
.224 member

Build on a Rossi? [Re: hobbyguymaine]
      #72216 - 22/02/07 10:50 AM

Back again, Ellis Brown's book arrived yesterday and answered some questions and clarified others, but I'm trying to purchase a couple more shotguns and things are still kind of hanging in the air on donor actions. I've made it clear that for me it'll have to be outside hammers and preferably no tang or crossbolt safeties, ideally readily available new & used in both 12 & 20ga, and again hopefully with barrels longer than 20" available also. After checking what's available ... there's virtually a ton of reasonably priced new & used hammerless guns out there ... almost, but not quite enough to make me rethink things!

I've done some research on what else is available in new hammer side by sides and after finding repeated references here to CZ as a great choice, I'm guessing a CZ hammer coach gun might be the best bet, both for potential strength and appearance (colorcase frame, nice bluing, great looking stockwork too! Drawbacks are a price around $700- and tang safety, and the fact it's only made in 12ga w/20" tubes. I looked at the new Rem/Baikal SPR220 at a little over $400- and it looks good, but I see chrome bores as a drawback (maybe), only 12ga 20" tubes, and 2-3/4", not 3" - pressure issues? The Norinco import @$300- sounds interesting, again 12ga. 20", but with tang & crossbolt safety though ... but I believe it's the same gun Coyote Cap imports w/his personal SASS upgrades, no crossbolt safety and in both 12 & 20ga for $400-. There are a couple other versions of 20" 12ga out there, but it's really hard to trace down country of origin and detailed info, much less locate most of these to examine for suitability.

I guess we're back to Rossi now, no longer available new but lots of them out there, though prices seem to have climbed closer to $400- while I snoozed! From what I've found they were first imported by Garcia (marked on top of barrels) around 1970, later by InterArms (marked on side of frame). They were available w/20" or 26/28" tubes in both 20 & 12ga (both 3") and 410 also! The 410 is a much smaller frame (though I don't have one here to measure -yet!), but the 20 & 12 seem to share both sidelocks and lower frame dimensions along w/underlugs, with size difference being in barrels/monblock and standing breech. Earlier production had colorcased hammers and lever, later were blued and from what I'm finding the upper round Greener sliding crossbolt was only on the early guns, though later production had an identical undrilled/fitted rib extension. Firing pins are bushed w/slightly under .100" pins with internal springs - suitable as is I think?

I wish there was a root gusset or more of a root radius, or that the frames were a little wider. Rossi wood has always been simple and plain, stained and sealed with a high gloss finish, only possibly compounding the inherent weakness of heavy inletting for sidelocks. I already have a 20" 12ga purchased new by me in '72, w/Greener cross bolt, and am checking out a similar vintage Rossi boxlock 28" 12ga (extremely loose - going to try to negotiate on the $240- price) tonight to see if barrels and lugs were common between side and box lock systems. If so, and if I can convince them that the shotgun is a potential liability if sold as is - I'll have 28" tubes to cut to 25" and refit to my action, and the factory 20" will be cut and monoblock will eventually be fitted with 45 or 50 cal brls, for 45-90 or 50-110 holding pressures in the 28-33,000 max range. I own a minty non-Greener cross bolt 20" 20ga also which I'm restraining myself from cutting up for now (in case I want to sell it), am buying a Greener top cross bolt equipped 20" 20ga in good repair and plan to cut the factory tubes and fit new rifle barrels on that gun first, either in 25-35(6.5x52R for you purists!), or 30-30, or 38-55 - those 3 calibers can be simply rechambered to 25Krag, 30-40, or 38-72 for increased capacity facilitating a little more velocity at equivalent pressure. Now I just have to find a 26" or 28" barreled 20ga as a shotgun barrel donor and spare parts gun, and once I have both 12 & 20 combinations settled w/basic Rossi's on hand, will have to look for their scarcer 410, times 2 maybe!

Will check back in tomorrow or Friday, with some frame measurements and monoblock/barrel fitup guesstimates.

Thanks, Joe (hobbyguymaine)

Edited by hobbyguymaine (23/02/07 06:04 PM)

Bramble
.375 member

Re: Build on a Rossi? [Re: hobbyguymaine]
      #72232 - 22/02/07 12:19 PM

You mentioned the Rem/Biakial

I believe that they make a hammer version of their 30-06 or 45-70 double rifle. Might save you a lot of work.

Regards

hobbyguymaine
.224 member

Build on a Rossi? - (or CZ?) [Re: Bramble]
      #72392 - 24/02/07 07:09 AM

Regarding the "new" Remington Spartan DRs, don't believe we'll ever see them! In our U.S. litigation driven society I honestly doubt Remington will distribute any firearm with pressure issues, and the Baikal double rifle with design limits around 28,000psi chambered for the large base 45-70 will be loaded by owners with both factory and handloads from 18, to 45,000+psi. Witness tang safeties and rebounding hammers added to gun designs over nearly century old gun designs in an effort to protect us from ourselves, and manufacturers from drawn out and expensive legal battles. After 3 years of promises and a couple prototype guns they're dead in the water. A shame, as Baikal never did an outside hammer double rifle, only O&U and SxS hammerless, and nothing larger than 30-06 (7.62x54R I think too!), and had the new Spartan 45-70 been a success for under a $1,000- it's remotely possible we could've seen another 45-70 on their outside hammer SxS shotgun frame.

"If wishes were horses ..." this beggar would ride! For outside hammer DRs I guess we're back to Pedersoli @$2,500- to $4,000-, SIACE @ $6,000- to $10,000, or build our own. Regarding my Rossi fixation, I checked a 12ga Rossi hammerless as a potential extra set of barrels donor for my future 45-90/50-110 on 12ga Rossi hammergun project, and the underlugs and hinge pin differ enough that it's not an easy fitup (besides which one of the bores had serious pitting. I believe I've purchased another 20" 20ga though, w/typical Rossi double underlugs and Greener sliding crossbolt. Two years ago I purchased another Rossi 20" 20ga, same Garcia import, same barrel lugs and rib extension, but with no sliding crossbolt, and am hoping that these barrels might be too tight on the new purchase frame so I can refit them for tight lockup, and then drill and fit for the Greener crossbolt. If that's the case, I'll end up with an action with 2 sets of fitted 20" barrels, and next step will be to cut off the poorer bore set for my rifle monoblock. Sticker shock too, as average price on these Rossi hammer shotguns has climbed to around $400-, and up! We're now up to $750 - $850 for 2 donor shotguns before starting to cut, I do have reservations regarding soft steel in these Rossi guns (but would prefer soft and stretchy to hard and brittle!). The wild cards are: 1.) that I'm still looking for one of the scarcer 26-28" barreled versions of their 20ga. also, as I'd rather end up with matching 25-26" rifle and shotgun barrels on this double when completed, 2.) don't know for sure that I'll be able to refit a spare set of barrels on another gun without major work, 3.) realistically, don't know that after I purchase and fit 2 barrels to the monoblock ... I'll only find after proofing that the Rossi action will end up being on the "not a good conversion candidate" list! If I do this right, I'll probably buy 1 or 2 more Rossi 20ga if necessary, for more comparison and potential barrel donor possibility, and if I can match up 2 that'll work and not damage anything in the process, I'll end up with a spare set of sidelocks, triggers, action and buttstock and can still resell the shotguns not required for the project - awful complicated way to end up a pair of compatible donors, but thank God cowboy shooters will buy my leftovers!

To continue in this vein, I've concluded that a 45-70 (or 45-90) project (even w/spare shotgun tubes fitted!) is probably not a sensible choice on a Rossi 12ga. I no longer own the 12ga which I'd purchased new in '72, having swapped it to good friend ... whose loaned it back to me till I settle my double rifle project needs (and who'd let me replace it with another hammer 12ga coachgun for him!)- approx. $1,000- for 2 shotguns, 2 Green Mtn 45 or 50cal 4140 cut rifle brls are $425-, $150 - $250 for specific reamer & headspace gauge - close to $1,750 + labor to assemble and ready for proof a 45-90 or 50-110 DR w/fitted 12ga shotgun brls, if it proofs, and then we still have to regulate and rust blue. For twice the money I can buy a new (w/out 20ga tubes) Pedersoli 45-70, or used (w/20ga tubes), maybe a little more, but it's a known quantity, proofed and regulated. If 45-90 is that critical - $50 for reamer rental! If it's gotta be 50-110 add aprox. $1250- for rebore & rechamber and I'll still have to reproof, regulate & reblue - 50cal makes more sense on a ... CZ Hammer Coach 20" 12ga, can buy NIB for $750- and I just spoke to their custom shop, $1250 - $1500 and 120day wait on prepaid order will get 24-26" barrels factory fitted along with the same gun, add my 50cal brl pkge and around $2,500- gets a 50-110 double w/fitted shotgun brl set + labor. The additional $750- over my possible bigbore Rossi conversion makes more sense I'd think, based on positive comments on CZ shotguns plus just starting with a new proofed shotgun! CZ couldn't give real specifics on the action design and comparison to their hammerless shotguns, all are made in Turkey, I was told by special order shop that the outside hammer action is 90degree and not 89degree as their hammerless - should that eliminate it? The CZUSA gunsmith also was less than enthusiastic when I explained to him why I was contemplating ordering one!

I guess at this stage I’ll plan to keep going on the Rossi 20ga. DR conversion to 25-35, 30-30(-40), or 38-55, as it’ll be a good learning process without too much of a cash outlay. Anyhow, my newly purchased Rossi 20ga. should arrive late next week or shortly thereafter, and then I should have a better idea regarding whether I can start refitting shotgun barrels or cutting off the other set, or looking for yet another 20ga Rossi to buy, and compare … we’ll see.

Thanks, Joe

hobbyguymaine
.224 member

Re: Build a hammer double on a Rossi early progress [Re: hobbyguymaine]
      #72593 - 27/02/07 06:00 AM

Newest update/progress report: Payment sent Sat. AM for a 2nd 20ga Rossi outside hammer coachgun, this one identical in design to the 12ga I’d purchased new in ’72, both being Garcia Corp imports w/Greener top crossbolt in addition to double underlugs and will be my 1st DR project victim! I already have a slightly newer Rossi 20 as imported by InterArms, nearly identical but without the Greener crossbolt, just the extended rib. I’m still looking for a 3rd 20ga outside hammer Overland, but this time w/the scarcer 26 or 28” brls. At this time I’m just trying to put together shotgun/s, barrels, rib stock, etc. that I’ll need to complete one double rifle w/an extra set of shotgun barrels.

I’ve really at this time ruled out 25-35 as a caliber choice as I already have a Browning HighWall newly rebored to that cartridge and will also someday finish my planned 25-35 rebarrel on a Marlin lever.

If I wanted to play it safe I could spend $300 - 500 on barrel blanks and fit up 38-55 or 32-40 w/SAAMI specifications of 30,000cup, stay with black powder or equivalent loads w/smokeless in the 18 – 28,000max, and if I did a good job can’t see how a 20ga 3” chambered double wouldn’t comfortably handle those rifle pressures with the smaller cartridge base dia. of .420/.424. Though a 38-55 DR would also be a nice choice I already have a nice 38-55 lever action. Instead just got a bargain purchase on 2 new 26” .30 caliber profiled blanks - $125- for the pair (while I was putting the order together online I noticed .458 blanks at the same price – ordered 2 of those also!) and expect them to arrive around the same time as my newly purchased Rossi 20ga. Plans are for the 30 cal blanks to end up 25 or 26” 30-30 or 30-40 Krag barrels fitted to my Rossi 20ga monoblock, w/a ¾-16 thd’d and .700” dia. sweat fit per Ellis Brown leaving a barrel/chamber min. wall thkness of .140” in 30-30 and .120” in 30-40, with monoblock wall thkness adding another min. of .150” all around at breech – resulting in a “receiver” 2.5” long and 1” O.D. On the surface this sounds adequate, but the monoblock remaining wall thickness of .150” doesn’t take into account thd depth (down to .125” at thd crest), and the wild card till I cut off the barrels and expansion ream both chambers to a true cylinder – will the furnace brazed in the monblock shotgun barrel stub (which will then remain a thin furnace brazed sleeve in the block) provide adequate strength after barrels are tinned, screwed down and properly sweated? My gut instincts tell me that if the factory furnace brazing was done properly, and if I fit and sweat properly yes! Thoughts, am I missing something, or being too self-assured?

The 2 .458 blanks won’t go near one of these Rossi 20ga, and if and when only on a 12ga monoblock as the 45-90 base dia. is .100” larger than 30-40 – identical to the increase in barrel breech dia. moving up from 20 to 12ga. Another issue I should’ve but didn’t address till after ordering the .45 cal barrels is twist – most of my 45-70s have been 1-20” or 1-22”, older Winchester for 45-90 w/light bullets was more like 1-32” – my new barrels are 1-14” which would better stabilize 500gr. bullets at 2,100-2,700fps, not 350-400gr. at 1,800fps, but first we’ll build & proof & regulate, and then see! I still have to deal with which outside hammer 12ga I’ll build on. I still have access to an early Rossi Overland 12ga, was thinking maybe CZ’s Turkish hammer double might prove a better choice but am hearing too many negatives – unless I resurrect an old gun my choices are down the Remington Spartan/Russian Baikal, or the Chinese Colt hammer copy, or ….?

Bramble
.375 member

#72606 - 27/02/07 09:04 AM

I don't know if this helps or not. But my Zabala action that I am building the 450#2 on was origionally proofed at 1370 bar. It has just passed reproof at 3500 bar. I think the Rossi or CZ should be fine, however I would stear well clear of any Chineese copy of anything if their DVD's and handtools are anything to go by!!!

As to the sleeving that is exactly how mine is done.

I would have a concern about how the firing rins are bushed and vented on a hammer gun as a reptured primer will have a lot more high pressure gas venting through here.
For information. The newest batch of Bikial hammer guns (here anyway) the hammers are fakes. In that they cock the internal firing pins and fly forward as the trigger is pulled, but they do not have external strikers.

At the end of the day on relativly low pressure cartridges it will be the breach thrust that breaks the action not the hoop stress in a modern steel barrel inside what is left of a modern shotgun breach.

If the action of the Rossi is marked with two five pointed stars within cogs (reenforced proof) and the letters PSF
it is proofed to 17,637 psi or otherwise 14,223 psi.
If it is marked PN it is for black powder only.

For the CZ it is 14,223 but before the barrels are struck up it must pass 15,645. In fact Chech guns must pass proof 4 times.

So punch in these figures, work out your base diamiters to give breach thrust and once it works on paper get out the hacksaw :-)

As I read it the breach thrust of a 303 Briish would work out about the same as 30-40 Krag because the base is smaller at about the same pressure and is ballistically superior. You could get the reamer maker to make the reamer with a neck to suit 308 heads and the reloading die manufacturer to make a tighter neck on the resizing die accordingly. Better cartridge IMHO and better suited for a double gun.

Regards

banzaibird
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/05
Loc: S.C. Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Build a hammer double on a Rossi early progress [Re: Bramble]
      #72681 - 28/02/07 05:02 AM

Blasphemy I say. .303 Better than the .30/40…humph .

Seriously though. No need to go through all the problems of custom reamers and custom dies. The two cases are almost identical in capacity (Krag a very little larger). Thus in any action safe to run the 303 in you can simply load the Krag case to the same spec’s. No extra cost. Now if you’re stuck with factory ammo then I’d say go with the .303 as well.

Bill

hobbyguymaine
.224 member

Re: Build a hammer double on a Rossi early progress [Re: banzaibird]
      #72755 - 28/02/07 02:30 PM

Living here in North America, if I was in Canada my reloading dies and brass would be .303 British(and if I was able to find a pair of reasonably priced .312 barrels) as would be my rifle. Here in the U.S. .308 bore size is the predominant 30 cal., I have 30-30 and 30-40 dies, brass and molds, a rechambered to 30-40 Browning 1885 Highwall single shot, even a gunsmith acquaintance who's rechambered a 30-30 NEF break open single to 30-40 for me, and I'm already planning to have him short chamber my 2 barrels ... final chamber/headspace will be done w/rentareamer! I'm planning to regulate for Winchester 180gr factory loads for ease of ammo availability, and hope that I get lucky and can also come up with reasonable groups w/165-200 gr handloads.

Bramble - No 5-pt stars, markings on watertable of Rossi 12ga. are: FIC (inside an oval), NoRG (o is underlined), S23860, matching 8993 on both watertable and rear lug on barrels. Rossi 20ga markings are: Same FIC & NoRG, T47977, matching 7885 on both watertable and rear lug on barrels. Firing pins are spring retracted and slightly under .100" dia. w/reasonable protrusion w/hammer down hard.

My barrel blanks and the 2nd Rossi 20ga(w/Greener crossbolt) should both arrive on Thurs. and with a major snowstorm coming in wee hours Fri. AM and not pulling away till Sat AM, I hope they're on schedule! This shotgun needs a good cleaning and I plan to partially disassemble it, get some more accurate measurements of firing pins, etc., and a feel for barrel length and finish taper they'll need for weight and balance - also with 2 20ga. guns here to see how much of Rossi Brazilian fitting was mass production and how much was hand fit. I'm holding off on total stripdown and checking barrel interchange from frame to frame, much less getting the hacksaw out and cutting back to monoblock in the hopes I'll find one more gun, but this time w/scarcer 26-28" tubes. With 3 20ga. guns on hand I can decide which 2 will be the spare shotgun barrel set/action/monoblock donors, and which one will be listed on Gunbroker and resold. Once that's settled, out comes the saw, expansion reamer and tap.

We've been living here in our new house since late last summer and I have lot's of finish work ahead, more electrical, insulation, drywall, finish floors, inside doors and trimwork, deck (deer & turkey sniping platform!) 16' up in the air to be planked and railings installed, new outside steps to build, pair of insulated sliding barn doors to build and fit to the 12'x12' daylight shop door opening, finish grading/landscaping, more driveway finish/regrading after winter, etc., etc. Once I put a healthy dent in that list I'll lag down and level my Bridgeport mill, find the collets and endmills,etc. (still packed away after 2-5 years) and then I'll start working on one of my 16" South Bend lathes (as neither have been under power for 5 years!). I'll probably break down and drive the 8 hrs down to my brother's place in so. NJ for a weekend before then, use his lathe and mill to finish the monoblock, finish the barrels for both taper and threads and for sweat fit in block, build the new extractor, turn up 2 (and a spare) bushings for the breech end of the monoblock, manufacture a quarter rib, sling swivel mt/spacer, and front sight (at least semi-finished till barrels are screwed in and sweated! Beginning to sound more like a 3-4 day weekend I'm afraid, and I won't even have tinned the barrels yet! I'm going to keep bugging you guys till I have this all down pat in my mind, keep pulling the pieces and materials together, drawing up prints of parts I'll have to make quickly while at my brother's place. If I'm smart I'll push to get more done quickly on the house, both to keep my patient wife happy, and so I can get to work setting up my shop and sorting out tools downstairs.

Barrel final fitup and sweat and chambering plus initial lineup for proof will be done here,with final chamber ream for headspace to be done w/rented reamer. If the 20ga/30-40 doesn't proof I'll set the 30-40 barrels aside and just fit the 26" 20ga. tubes to the remaining unabused action and just end up with a nice little old-timey 20ga hammer double for bird hunting with my Springer. At that point I’ll probably sideline any DR projects, finish my Browning 71 lever conversion to 45-70 or -90, do the Marlin 336 rebarrel to 25-35 I’ve planned for years, finish the rebuild of another Marlin squarebolt 36 w/new 38-55 barrel and mag and wood I had the factory fit to a used roundbolt 336, maybe even finish my Marlin 1894 357C conversion to 256 Win!

If it proofs okay I'll regulate it, finish any soldering and detail work, hand polish and rust blue, and start on project #2. My old 12ga Rossi is 10-15% larger than the 20ga, and if the 20 will handle the 30-40 conversion, the larger 12 frame should handle my new 45 cal barrels chambered to 45-90, w/nearly a 10% increase in base dia. but at lower pressure - in fact I may pick up some 4140 and make 2 new monoblocks and barrel one in 45 cal and the other for my favorite 50-110, and still have the original 12ga barrel set to boot!

Going to start a new rehash thread on pressure issues and backthrust ... see you there.

hobbyguymaine
.224 member

#72825 - 01/03/07 07:40 AM

I found a factory cased Pedersoli Kodiak 45-70 w/20ga tubes for sale this morning, on the Accurate Reloading forum classifieds - for $3,500-! Since I'd tied up all my gun budget in my Browning levers and singles didn't want to even think about it, and posted the info on this forum. After thinking about it more, and trying to rationally consider just how long it'll take to finish our new house, and then get my machine shop set up and organized, and finally get my 20ga/30-40 Rossi hammer double ready for proof (after which I could be back to square 1 anyway) - all of a sudden that $3,500- sounded like a good deal. I could still eventually manufacture a new monoblock (or 2!)for 30-40 & 50-110 to fit the proofed Pedersoli action, and in the interim have a 45-70 for deer and a 20ga for birds, besides which I'd have gun which could readily be resold if the need arose. Decided I could sell my 25-35 Browning HighWall, 22 Hornet LoWall, both 20ga. Rossi shotguns, and quickly raise better than half of what I'd have to borrow ... and attempted to send a PM to the seller and couldn't get the function to work on that forum, sent a post to his ad and had to run out for 2 hrs.

Well, when I returned it was sold pending funds, and after I emailed another response to his ad, the seller said I have first refusal if the deal falls through. I've been watching another on GunBroker @ $4,600- w/reserve not met, and finally called Dixie as they hadn't responded to my quote request on a new Pedersoli Kodiak 45-70 w/fitted 20ga. brls ... $6,500- plus an additional $1,000- for a factory fitted case - boy did I ever blow it on not jumping on the other one! Please keep answering my questions as I'm not giving up on building, just more seriously questioning my proposed Rossi platform, and at $3,500- I could've started with a shooter and a known quantity in a Pedersoli, and sold my Rossi's to cowboy shooters ... well, can't win em all!

Joe

hobbyguymaine
.224 member

Back at it - Build a hammer double on a Rossi early progress [Re: hobbyguymaine]
      #73365 - 08/03/07 05:19 AM

Kind of spooked myself, and the thread that started "Hey guys, What about failures?" and ended up a debate and legal discussion of liability issues, nearly drove me to buy a Pedersoli Kodiak 45-70 - had I been a little quicker last week I would've bought one, and nearly did!

The legal liability end still scares me, as I was brought up to believe that a workman or businessman who excersises common sense and prudent behaviour was reasonably well protected - till 15-20 yrs ago the captain/owner of a fishing vessel, on which I'd spent better than a cold, miserable, filthy day doing an engine alignment and anticipating completion in another 6-12 hrs, came down into the engine room and smuggly announced that: " ... know whose insurance will be paying for my engine overhaul, new Twin Disc clutch and reverse gear if it fails first trip out - ha, ha!" I was underinsured at the time, loved running my shop and working on the occaisional fishing boat or piece of heavy equipt. or machinery, but immediately started packing my tool boxes and advised him that there was no charge, but he'd better find someone to align things. He was angry, as every day tied up at the dock meant less money in his pocket, but I closed down my shop later that year, ended up managing the hobbyshop end of a toy store for nearly 10 yrs., till the owner retired and closed it.

Bramble advanced the thought that I should mark per English practice, stamp with max bullet wt. and charge stamped on the action, and at "the end of the day I would have to take the build it, enjoy it, and get a relative to throw it in a river when you die" - basically the same "bury it w/you in your coffin" wise advice I was given regarding permanently removing tang safety and rebounding hammer from a NIB Win 1895 405 I owned, which I promptly sold and instead had my pre-litigation driven safeties equipped 30-40 Browning version of same rebored to 405.

My letter carrier just now delivered a Priority mail package of barrel spacers and rib stock, at least enough to keep the fire lit! For the last couple days I'd been fondling my Rossi 20ga coach guns, along with the 12ga, and my new barrels, checking the internet sites for another 26" brld 20ga, or 28" brld 12ga, and still watching for a (or 2!) Rossi 410 hammer double, even called Green Mountain Barrels to chk on availability of 2 more 45 cal barrels, but .452" groove dia. for 45 Colt as I've carried a 45 Colt both as a hunting sidarm and a CCW, think it'll be doable on the 410 frame. Accurate loading and pressure data is available in the 6,000 to 13,000psi range, also at double those pressues - so proof loads would be a known! Failing that, how about a combination gun, 22 Hornet or 25-20 or 32-20 along side a 410 bore?

Getting ahead of myself, though my shop isn't (and likely won't be for at least the next year) set up, I can still do my machine work at my brother's place, at least enough to get to the point of proofing on the 20ga frame w/30-40 Krag barrels. If the action comes through proofing okay, I'll replace the hinge pin and fit up my extra 20ga. barrels at that time and start on another, but this time on the 12ga/45-90 or 50-110 project, or maybe the 410 frame if I can find 2 of those! If there's any sign of failure or stretching with proof loads on the 20 ga. this project/s will just slow down and I'll forget the Rossi shotguns in all gauges, sell what I haven't cut up and locate and buy a Pedersoli Kodiak 45-70 w/20ga tubes and eventually mfgr. one or two extra 4140 monoblocks to barrel to 30-40 and ?

Thanks to Bramble, and you others who have put up with and read through and responded to my long rambling posts, as you've helped me to stay positive on this project! Joe(hobbyguymaine)

hobbyguymaine
.224 member

Pls Read Re: Build a hammer double on a Rossi? [Re: hobbyguymaine]
      #73580 - 11/03/07 01:28 AM

I’m guessing some of you won’t even read this post, due to the sheer volume of …. I’ve been posting, but if you would please read this one and respond if you can offer any advice or thoughts.

Moving ahead on my Rossi conversion again, small gun show today (Sat) in southern Maine, had considered the larger one in southern Mass. but 4 hrs drive one way is just more than I want to deal with (though I’d be more likely to see DRs there- maybe even find a 26” brld 20ga. or 410 Rossi hammer double too), but hopefully a couple dealer friends and gunsmiths will choose staying close to home also. I spoke to my brother yesterday and he sounded enthusiastic about me coming down to visit over the Easter weekend (10-12 hrs down w/family business sidetrip, 8 hr drive return trip), spending 2 solid days out in his shop cutting off one set of barrels, reaming, tapping and facing the monoblock, turning barrel stubs for fits and thds, also turning 2 or 3 rings for the breech face, roughing out a new extractor plate, and time permitting machining a ¼ rib & spacers – basically preparing for tinning and then soldering barrels to block sometime after I return home! If all goes well at the gunshow today I’ll make the contact for having my 30 cal contoured blanks short chambered next week, and now that the weather’s starting to warm up a little (no more subzero nights!) then dig through my still packed away tooling for steel, expansion reamer and taps, etc. – whatever I’ll need that my brother won’t have in his small home shop.

If I accomplish enough down in NJ in 4 wks over the Easter weekend I’m hoping after I return home to get the barrels tinned, assembled and soldered up to the monoblock (along with the ¼ rib), and a neighbor with a welding shop has a vertical mill I can use for fitting up my rebuilt extractor and then back to my gunsmith buddy for final chamber reaming for headspace. Once everything’s cleaned up I guess it’s time to proof and will build a secure base for same, just hoping I can remove buttstock and reassemble both hammer sidelocks and trigger assy sans wood! I’ll post more progress reports (and some pictures too!) after my machining trip to NJ, but now for a couple questions regarding choice of cartridge.

Since I’m carrying my 2 30cal brls with me to the gunshow, in the hopes that the same gunsmith who rechambered my H&R/NEF singleshot from 30-30 to 30-40 will have a table there, and will be confident that his reamer is sharp enough to cut a couple chambers. I’d previously posted the following: “…just got a bargain purchase on 2 new 26” .30 caliber profiled blanks - $125- for the pair … to end up 25 or 26” 30-30 or 30-40 Krag barrels fitted to my Rossi 20ga monoblock, w/a ¾-16 thd’d and .700” dia. sweat fit per Ellis Brown leaving a barrel/chamber min. wall thkness of .140” in 30-30 and .120” in 30-40, with monoblock wall thkness adding another min. of .150” all around at breech – resulting in a “receiver” 2.5” long and 1” O.D. On the surface this sounds adequate, but the monoblock remaining wall thickness of .150” doesn’t take into account thd depth (down to .125” at thd crest), and the wild card till I cut off the barrels and expansion ream both chambers to a true cylinder – will the furnace brazed in the monoblock shotgun barrel stub (which will then remain a thin furnace brazed sleeve in the block) provide adequate strength after barrels are tinned, screwed down and properly sweated? My gut instincts tell me that if the factory furnace brazing was done properly, and if I fit and sweat properly, yes! Thoughts, am I missing something, or being too self-assured?” My other options, as I perceive them now, are to chamber to 30-30 (ANSI/SAAMI 42,000psi) which due to the smaller base dia, would gain me .015-.020” thicker chamber walln and due to smaller base dia., lowered backthrust. For comparison, since 30-40 (ANSI/SAAMI 40,000cup) converts (APPROX.!) to 42,5000psi and acknowledging increased backthrust with less than a 10% increase in base dia over 30-30, I feel that for my use 30-40 downloaded to 30-30 vel/energy levels for lower pressure normal use is still a prudent choice, and will permit occasional use of 30-40 factory ammo. I was tempted to fit up my 45 cal blanks since I really would like a 45-90 (or better yet 50-110!) instead of the 30 cal’s, but 45-90 would further thin chamber wall by an additional .020” and base dia. by an additional 10% over 30-40 – getting a little to marginal on the 20ga frame without knowing if it will even handle a 32-40!

I realize that the “proof of the pudding” will be in proof firing and I’ll hold off on questions regarding critical measurements before and after proof, and proof loads till I have barrels installed. If my Rossi 20ga outside hammer survives as hoped, I’ll finish ribs, etc, fit 20ga barrels (refitting both barrel sets w/new hinge pin), rust blue, and build fitted compartment for one of my hard cases – and enjoy shooting it! Then we’ll attack a larger 12ga for that 45-90 (or 50-110), or if the right shotguns show up, the possible 410 w/45 Colt barrel set. I’m thinking positive and hoping I’m right, but it’ll probably be another 60+ days before I’m ready to proof.

Thank You, Joe (hobbyguymaine)

hobbyguymaine
.224 member

Pls Read Re: Build a hammer double on a Rossi? [Re: hobbyguymaine]
      #74124 - 18/03/07 12:33 PM

Still lurking here, just read on another DR forum: “Amoskeag Auctions in Manchester, NH, USA has a real nice looking Pedersoli Kodiak sxs hammer with browned barrels in 8x57JRS at auction this coming Sat. March 24. It is listed at what seems a very reasonable 800-1200 dollars.” I’d posted a new thread on the 15th “Double Rifles at upcoming auction!” and just met a nice guy and forum member who’d responded to that post, and I’d debated attending the auction as it’s only a couple hours away, but have pretty well wiped out my gun budget on Rossi dbl shotguns and barrels, etc. Now after finding the Pedersoli isn’t a 45-70, but a possibly very affordable 8x57JRS which would fill my planned 30-40 building niche, and though I don’t have dies & brass I’d certainly would’ve bid on it!

I’m still planning my double rifle build on an outside hammer Rossi shotgun … and actually making a little progress! I’ll be driving up to fellow forum member/gunsmith/DR builder Judson’s shop Tuesday morning, to short chamber to 30-40 my 2 new 30 cal. brls, and am still planning to spend a long Easter weekend down in NJ working in my brother’s workshop, preparing my Rossi 20ga monoblock and extractor, and turning fits and threading both blanks to fit. I doubt I’ll have them tinned and fitted and sweated in, and final headspace chambering done before May 1, but will then determine appropriate loads and assemble some blue pills, build a proofing stand … and stand back!

If after proofing everything measures the same with no other signs of fatigue or failure, I’ll finish the barrels preparatory to regulating and hopefully finish it completely before Autumn. If it fails proofing, I give up and will scrap what’s been compromised, dispose of Rossi shotguns and parts (probably keeping 1 20ga for birdhunting), and start saving and watching for a SIACE Yukon standard grade either in 8x57JRS or 45-70. I’ll still plan to machine and fit a pair of new monoblocks for this new DR eventually, one to be fitted w/24” 20ga tubes, the other w/either 50-110 or 30-40 barrels (depending upon caliber of DR I purchase).

I’ll post again w/building photos hopefully after the Easter holiday or sooner, that is unless on Tuesday Judson looks over the 4 Rossi shotguns I’ve accumulated and finds design/material/strength issues I’ve overlooked.

Thanks for following my “progress?”, Joe(hobbyguymaine)

Vinnie
.224 member

Reged: 05/06/07
Loc: New York. Dutchess
Re: Build a hammer double on a Rossi? [Re: hobbyguymaine]
      #79991 - 05/06/07 10:45 PM

I am a retired teacher who took up machining for my retirement hobby. I have always wanted a DR but do not have the funds to purchase one. I only joined this group yesterday. I would like to build one around the 45-70 using a Montana Barrel or convert an exposed hammer SBS shotgun. I don't know if there is a set of working plans that I could buy,if there is where. I read that Joe has access to SBS Rossi for about $250.00 which is in my budget, but I don't know if the hammers are exposed or not.
In advance Thanks
Vinnie

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Build a hammer double on a Rossi? [Re: Vinnie]
      #80019 - 06/06/07 01:28 PM

Vinnie:
The only "set of plans" as such is Ellis Brown's book, as previously mentioned. It can be augmented substantially with info from posts on this forum going back a number of years. You will have a lot of fun using the search function to ferret them out.

Others who are more e-organised than I may be able to post a list of URLs to relevant threads to get you started.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Rich
.224 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: Fayette county Pa.
Re: Build a hammer double on a Rossi? [Re: Marrakai]
      #80095 - 07/06/07 02:16 PM

I have built quite a few double 45-70, 30 cals, and cape guns also 1 double 12 bore rifle. Still have the first one i built,all on BAIKAL ACTIONS. THEY ARE strong actions and the original has over 40 proof loads through it. I will try to post some pics. Some of my guns can be seen on shotgun world under baikal/ Spartan post photo of sxs (sticky). This is a 12 x4570 Rich
[image][/image]
[image]IMG]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g211/rshow/sendoutpic1566.jpg[/IMG][/image]
[image]IMG]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g211/rshow/sendoutpic1564.jpg[/IMG][/image]

Rich
.224 member

Re: Build a hammer double on a Rossi? [Re: Rich]
      #80096 - 07/06/07 02:19 PM

[image][/image]

Rich
.224 member

#80097 - 07/06/07 02:20 PM

[image][/image]

Rich
.224 member

#80098 - 07/06/07 02:24 PM

Here is one of my 45-70 on a 20 gauge Baikal [image][/image]

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
      #80152 - 08/06/07 12:12 PM

OK, now you got me.
I have been planning this for at least three years.
I have two ACE barrel inserts in 45X70 for 12 ga.
I have a Belgian double hammer gun with rotten pitted bores, but a TIGHT action.
I am going to fit the barrel insert to the 12 ga barrels. I will cut the original tubes to 20 inches. The inserts come in a max of 18". My issue is regulation.
Thoughts are to turn the front section of the barrels so I have some "play".
Shoot, and then shim toward the muzzles until I get close regulation at say 75 yards.
Then, Apoxy the whole bit into the shotgun tubes. Fit extractors.
OK, where am I going wrong?
What's the parts I am missing? (OK,sights. I will put on Sights)
Comments?

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Vinnie
.224 member

Re: Build a hammer double on a Rossi? [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #80351 - 11/06/07 09:32 PM

Where can one purchase Ellis Browns book?
Vinnie

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Build a hammer double on a Rossi? [Re: Vinnie]
      #80353 - 11/06/07 10:45 PM

http://doublegunshop.com/bookrack.htm

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Vinnie
.224 member

Re: Build a hammer double on a Rossi? [Re: Marrakai]
      #80539 - 13/06/07 10:19 PM

I was wondering through shotguns on the internet and saw a Stevens 411 SbS 12 Ga. that is in my price range and I was wondering if a 4570 (black powder) barrel liner could work on that action.
Vinnie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9048

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com