Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Over and Under doubles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Dave_Hall
.300 member

Reged: 09/12/06
Loc: PA. ,U.S.A.
Over and Under doubles
      #70217 - 26/01/07 02:40 PM

Whats the down side to a O/U double compared to a S/S.I see the resale prices on the different gun selling web sites are a little bit lower for the O/U.Dave

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express
2011 Ruger SP-101 4.2" 357 MAG.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Over and Under doubles [Re: Dave_Hall]
      #70222 - 26/01/07 04:26 PM

With reloading you need to open the action a little more than a s/s.
ozhunter

Dave_Hall
.300 member

Reged: 09/12/06
Loc: PA. ,U.S.A.
Re: Over and Under doubles [Re: ozhunter]
      #70224 - 26/01/07 05:43 PM

OzHunter, do you have a O/U Double? Thats livable I guess that comes with the design.Dave

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express
2011 Ruger SP-101 4.2" 357 MAG.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Over and Under doubles [Re: ozhunter]
      #70233 - 26/01/07 06:55 PM

ozhunter

A little more - it's a bit more than little.

butchloc
.300 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: faribault mn
Re: Over and Under doubles [Re: 500Nitro]
      #70253 - 27/01/07 06:10 AM

there's a lot more to it some of which is #1 - nostelgia (yeah i know i got it too) #2 the opening angle of the o/u is greater causing it to be reloaded slower #3 the sxs has a better balance #4 doubles are usually considered DG guns and the sxs is usually more obtainable in larger calibers than is a o/u. commonly o/u's stop at 9.3x74. there's bigger ones out there but not many. There's advantages to the o/u too, such as a shotgy gun shooter who is used to his o/u finds the find it a natural and the o/u is usually available for much less cash. Thus if you have enuf for an o/u but not a sxs it becomes a great choice. I have several of both types and while i prefer the sxs, i rally can't find anything wrong with having an o/u too.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #73381 - 08/03/07 10:55 AM

The theoretical disadvantages of the O/U have already been mentioned. However, as someone who has hunted with O/U shotguns for 40+ years and has spent a lot of time on the skeet field, the larger gape of the O/U is no perceptable drawback.

My experience is that the O/U's are less sensitive to ammunition changes, the barrels do not have to be regulated so that they cross at a specific distance, the line of recoil is identical for both barrels, the stress on the receiver is no greater with the upper barrel than with a S/S and considerably less on the lower barrel. Some shooters cannot shoot well with a S/S shotgun and they would in all probability have the same difficulty with a S/S DR. On the other hand, to many people the S/S DR just "looks" better. Take your choice!

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Over and Under doubles [Re: xausa]
      #73385 - 08/03/07 11:26 AM

xausa

the barrels do not have to be regulated so that they cross at a specific distance,

What do you mean by this ????

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #73399 - 08/03/07 01:46 PM

My understanding of regulation for S/S DR's is that the bores cannot be set up parallel to each other, since recoil causes the right hand barrel to shoot to the right of where it is bore sighted and the left hand barrel to the left. For this reason, the barrels have to be set so that the ballistic curves converge at a specific point, which means that beyond that point they begin to diverge. If the barrels shoot to the same point at 100 yards, then the right hand barrel will be shooting to the left and the left hand barrel to the right beyond that point.

Since the line of recoil of O/U barrels is the same as the bore line of both barrels, this does not hold true of them. Some hold that since game animals are larger horizontally than vertically, this divergence is of no consequence, but it seems to me that it is.

500Nitro
.450 member

#73405 - 08/03/07 02:49 PM

I disagree.

It's not that they can't be set up to be parallel,
it's because the way the gun recoils - up and left, up and right that they are set up the way they are.

If the bullets cross out past 100 yards, then in reality the gun is only useful up to just past that range.

Then why do my 150 yard shots hit the POA ???

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Over and Under doubles [Re: 500Nitro]
      #73420 - 08/03/07 07:44 PM

There was an excellent previous thread on the theory of regulation of doubles here and I believe the gist is that when regulated properly the barrels of a fine SxS shoot consistently parallel side by side out at extended ranges where as the O/U would shoot high/low.

If the Doubles barrel angle/regulation converges then the paths could be made to cross in a shorter distance and diverge further out.Hopefully proper regulation could benefit this situation.

True the recoil of SxS barrels goes outward but this is controlled by the resistance of the shooter and should not affect the bullet path if the recoil is "contained".I would agree that theoretically the upward/backward recoil of a O/U would be more conducive to accuracy at extended ranges than the SxS.

With proper regulation a quality Double can shoot out to 250+yds and one forum member here has taken game at 300yds with his scoped Double.

I hope this is correct as I would love to shoot a 375H&H Double out to 250+ with a qd scope. That would be NEAT!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (08/03/07 07:46 PM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Over and Under doubles [Re: hoppdoc]
      #73421 - 08/03/07 07:58 PM

hoppdoc

"where as the O/U would shoot high/low."

Not if the O/U DR is regulated correctly.

My SxS Merkel 375H&H is bloody accurate at 100 yards and
I would suspect it is accurate out even further with the scope on.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #73659 - 12/03/07 06:15 AM

The number one misconception is, that double rifle are regulated to cross at a given distance!

They aren't!

The number two misconception is, that because of the barrels are regulated to cross, the rifle is not accurate at long range.

This opinion is fostered by the misconception the rifle is regulated to cross in the first place.
It is as accurate as any iron sighted rifle at any range. if useing a proper load.

The third misconceoption is, that the O/U is eaiser, or even that it is unecessary to regulate it at all, than a S/S.

The O/U is actualluy harder to regulate properly than a S/S.

The fourth misconception is, that experience with a shotgun give a person insight, and understanding, into the workings of a double rifle!

It doesn't!

I say most of the misconceptions in regard to double rifles, both O/U, and S/S, have been offered in this thread, as fact! and 90 % of the opinions expressed here are patently wrong!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Over and Under doubles [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #73660 - 12/03/07 06:17 AM

Well said Dugaboy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2835

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com