Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: BRNO 602 SAFETY ISSUE-- SUGGESTIONS???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
BRNO 602 SAFETY ISSUE-- SUGGESTIONS???
      #69889 - 21/01/07 07:26 AM

I have a 416 Rigby with a BRNO 602 action and am not fond of the safety which functions perfectly but goes to SAFE when pushed FORWARD. To FIRE you move the lever TOWARDS the rear of the rifle.

It seems unnatural to move the safety rearward to fire.All my other rifles with such a lever got to FIRE when moved forward.If the gun is grabbed or handled hurredly I can see the lever going forward and the rifle becoming useless until the lever is moved to the FIRE position rearward again.In a DG hunt that could be disastrous and fatal.

Brownels has a Gentry bolt shroud and Win 70 safety system that may work.Conventional mauser safeties only work when the safety is rotated 180degrees to the left for the fire position.

Any suggestions on how to best modify the safety??

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (21/01/07 07:27 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: BRNO 602 SAFETY ISSUE-- SUGGESTIONS??? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #69898 - 21/01/07 12:27 PM

Do a search ,there are several makers of winchester type safeties for the Brno/CZ. Wisner did but not any more. I have both a 602 and a 550 and they work in reverse of each other. I really don't have any problems with either one. I also have a 1939 Mdl70 and the safety is backward and on the other side from the one on my SS mdl 70. Don't have a real problem with them either. It might be nicer if they were all in the same place and worked the same, but such is not the case.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: BRNO 602 SAFETY ISSUE-- SUGGESTIONS??? [Re: zimhunter]
      #69902 - 21/01/07 01:34 PM

Model 70 safeties can be knocked onto the SAFE position by bushes etc or by people so are not the best Safety around.

The Brno safety issue is NOT an issue if all you have ever used are Brno's !!!

Who's to say a Mauser 98 Safety is flipped the right or wrong way ? It's just what your used to.

I very rarely use safety's in the bush when hunting Dangerous Game and am bloody glad I hunt this way.

Edited by 500Nitro (21/01/07 04:44 PM)

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: BRNO 602 SAFETY ISSUE-- SUGGESTIONS??? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #69915 - 21/01/07 11:23 PM

You are correct.It is indeed what your used to.

I have had Win 70's safeties get turned on by sideswipping brush but that gives an obvious visual or tactile clue.I have never had any safety levers moved inadvently rearward to inactivate a rifle.

I tend to leave the rifle safety on till ready to shoot.Never spooked any game doing it. I say that although I will freely admit that when in known proximity to bears, cats and boars my rifle safety is always in the OFF position.

Wasn't it mentioned sometime previously that a PH was presumably killed due to a safety mixup?

--------------------

Edited by hoppdoc (21/01/07 11:24 PM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #69920 - 22/01/07 01:36 AM

hopdoc

"Wasn't it mentioned sometime previously that a PH was presumably killed due to a safety mixup? "

I think I have read in the past that both PH's and CLIENTS have died due to the above.

As a general rule, I TRY to always hunt DG with a Mauser 98 type gun - partly for the Extraction/ M98 issues but also because IF I do use the safety, it is the same on all guns.

However, said that, when doing some culling / moving buff on a station up in North Australia and the COW decided to turn and charge (unwounded), I was carrying a Stainless Steel, 6x Scoped Ruger in 338 Win Mag - A gun I had more had in case a shot was needed as opposed to hunting.

It was a good example why I DON'T use Safeties in the bush with potentially DG. She turned "on a dime" while running away and came straight at me and I got down and waited BUT
1 less thing to worry about !!!

333Jeffery
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/06
Loc: Florida
      #69949 - 22/01/07 12:05 PM

American Hunting Rifles, and Z-Hat Rifles, offer Winchester-style conversions for the BRNO/CZ safeties.

TilleyMan
.333 member

Reged: 23/08/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: BRNO 602 SAFETY ISSUE-- SUGGESTIONS??? [Re: 333Jeffery]
      #69967 - 22/01/07 08:17 PM

I agree with 500 Nitro, I own several older Brno's and the safeties all work the same way so its not an issue.. for me at least.

BUT does anyone offer replacement trigger kits for the ZKK600 series?

You can get them to work OK with lots of fiddling and polishing, replacing pins with oversize ones to reduce creep etc but I would much rather replace the whole assembly with an aftermarket trigger that doesn't have the build tolerances of a Russian tractor

While the overall ZKK design is sound, post 1968 Soviet invasion ZKK Brno's took a dive in quality from the heights of the 1950's and 60's era Model 21H and ZG47. Last week I compared a 1966 ZKK600 .270 with a 1976 ZKK601 .308 and the build difference is like night and day, features deleted and simplified for cost reduction.

I believe Timney now make a trigger for the CZ550 but the CZ design is quite different to the Brno ZKK.

Any leads?

Cheers

TM

Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
Re: BRNO 602 SAFETY ISSUE-- SUGGESTIONS??? [Re: TilleyMan]
      #70376 - 29/01/07 04:03 AM

I just think of a Marlin or Winchester lever gun, "Cock to fire! Cock to fire! Cock to Fire!"

If this does not work, carry the rifle with the mag full and chamber empty when slung, and chamber loaded and bolt handle lifted when in hand.

--------------------

Bwanaclark
.224 member

Reged: 20/05/06
Re: BRNO 602 SAFETY ISSUE-- SUGGESTIONS??? [Re: Boomer]
      #70941 - 07/02/07 08:13 AM

hopdoc,

One thing to consider, there are a bunch of people that would love to have that rifle exactly as-is. Maybe sell it to one of them and use it as an excuse to build a nice custom rifle on a pre-64 model 70 action?

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: BRNO 602 SAFETY ISSUE-- SUGGESTIONS??? [Re: Bwanaclark]
      #70981 - 08/02/07 06:45 AM

Don't like the safety but think I will just carry it empty chamber, safety off until close to game.

The rifle is a custom job with a McGowen barrel and reworked BRNO action, custom trigger, and very accurate. Got a great deal on from its first owner who didn't like the 416's recoil.It just shoots too good! Don't think I am going to sell it.

--------------------

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
      #72162 - 21/02/07 11:05 PM

hoppdoc

If the safety bothers you I think a Winchester style shroud would be a good alternative. None of my ZG-47's got the original- prefer the Winchester style safety.

Ed LaPour might have what you are looking for.
Cheers
Johan

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #74209 - 21/03/07 02:33 AM

I bought my 602 in Germany in 1970 to take on a boar hunt in Bulgaria. Didn't like the barrel length and had it shortened to 22". Didn't like the safety either, but decided to simply not use it while on stand. Two nice yearlings showed up, running left to right in front of me, threw the rifle up and (you guessed it) put the safety on again.

The 602 now has a Model 70 style safety. Why BRNO couldn't have copied the P-14 Enfield safety, which is one of the best of all time, is beyond me. Pull it back and it locks the cocking piece and the bolt, push it forward, and it releases both the cocking piece and the bolt. The main advantage of the Winchester style safety is that with the safety in the intermediate position you can operate the bolt with the cocking piece locked.

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
      #74219 - 21/03/07 04:17 AM

Hoppdoc,

Your plan to carry with chamber empty and safety off is a good one. ALL mechanical safeties have some problems/issues. In the end, "It's the nut behind the butt" that makes the weapon safe or dangerous!!

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #74234 - 21/03/07 09:18 AM

For a few years I used a 602 in 458 Win and I hated that arse about face safety catch!

I'm very used to the standard pattern of push forward to fire push rearward to put on safe.
My shotguns, double rifles, and all my other bolt guns use that standard pattern, so having one that was back to front was a real pain.
If I was forced to own and use another big Brno for anything serious, I'd definately want to somehow change the direction in which the safety catch operates.
I'd be looking to the mod 70 modification or I'd attempt to alter the original safety if that was possible.

I fixed my 602 safety issue by selling it and replacing it with a double fitted with standard tang safety working in the proper direction!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5035

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com