Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .416 Rigby by Rigby

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
MFC
.275 member

Reged: 25/07/06
Loc: Albuquerque, NM
.416 Rigby by Rigby
      #69086 - 08/01/07 11:33 AM

Like all of the Mauser variants I have posted on this forum, this rifle does not belong to me. I stole the pictures off the internet(link below). I hope you enjoy.

Rigby, London, classic magnum Mauser big game rifle in .416 Rigby, ca. 1928. Weight: 9 3/4 lbs. 14 5/8" LOP. Superb early style heavy 25 1/2" barrel with brilliant mint bore. One standing rear sight for 100 yds. and two folding leaves to 200 and 300 yds. Ramp front sight with original hood. Classic square bridge, Oberndorf, magnum mauser action and heavy barrel retain much of the original black finish. Pistol grip stock with steel grip cap retains much of the original finish as well. There are brass inlays on either side of the wrist, joined with a screw, that are apparently later additions. I have examined them and they appear to be period alterations. There is no evidence of any crack or other damage to the stock in this area and given the soundness of the stock I am at a loss to explain why this was done. Otherwise the gun is in near mint original condition showing minimal use and certainly no abuse. This magnificent rifle has an interesting history in that it was originally purchased in 1927 by a Mr. L. J. Rumsey, District Commissioner of the Native Department, in Nyasaland (Malawi) Africa. The rifle was delivered on July 15, 1927 with 200 rounds of ammunition sealed in safari tins. Mr. Rumsey bought the rifle upon his being posted to Nyasaland but, not being a hunter, used the rifle very little if at all. When Nyasaland gained its independence in the 1960's, weapons were a liability so Mr. Rumsey had the rifle exported to Rhodesia where the firm of Benians and Purdey stored it at "a price". Some time later, realizing he had paid out more in storage fees than could be expected from a sale, Mr. Rumsey sold the rifle in 1974 to a professional hunter for the equivalent of 15 months salary. Accompanying the gun at that time were 182 of the original 200 rounds of ammunition. The PH that purchased the rifle took it on one safari in 1982 and there is a fascinating seventeen page narrative of that hunt a copy of which accompanies the rifle and documents its effectiveness on dangerous game. Almost certainly less than 100 rounds have been put through this rifle since new. Overall about the finest original .416 Rigby you will ever have the opportunity to own and literally steeped in African history. Absolutely unique.

http://www.drake.net/

Edited by CptCurl (29/12/08 02:53 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: .416 Rigby by Rigby [Re: MFC]
      #69111 - 08/01/07 11:09 PM

Wow, that's sweeeet!
Thanks for posting.

mlg
.275 member

Reged: 19/03/05
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: .416 Rigby by Rigby [Re: 4seventy]
      #69206 - 10/01/07 08:16 AM

Stunning rifle - what a find!

MFC
.275 member

#69297 - 11/01/07 10:55 AM

Here are a few more pictures of a similar Rigby in 416. These are from Schwandt Classic Arms. Enjoy.

"Magnificent Original Rigby 416 built during the Golden Era of British gun making. Shipped to Von Lengerke and Antoine, Chicago in 1925. Ledger records document all details of this amazing rifle including the Rigby patented bolt peep sight. This rifle appears to be UNFIRED since regulation; note picture of boltface. No harrowing tales of African adventure here. Just condition, condition, cond.... Perfect for someone who wants the best there is."

Maker: John Rigby - London
Gauge/Caliber: 416 Rigby
Barrels: 25"
Rib: 1/4 with 1S & 2F
Action: Magnum Mauser
Stock: English Walnut
Butt: Recoil pad
L.O.P.: 14 1/4"
Weight: 11 lbs

Unfortunately this beautiful rifle has already been sold

Edited by CptCurl (29/12/08 02:56 PM)

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
      #69320 - 11/01/07 03:20 PM

yes MFC that gun was mint and sold for 25k it now lives in portsmouth new hampshire bill kieth of trader kieths is the lucky owner i spoke to him recently about this and other guns....paul

MFC
.275 member

Re: .416 Rigby by Rigby [Re: pjaln]
      #69449 - 14/01/07 06:58 AM

pjaln, thanks for the info. I had no idea the rifle was so close. I will definately have to make my way down there one of these days and see it for myself.

MFC
.275 member

#249131 - 17/06/14 10:57 AM

I know this is kind of an ancient thread but I thought I'd give it a bit of a bump. I think this rifle was mentioned in the Mauser rifles at auction thread but I figured it deserved a more permanent home.

*JOHN RIGBY .416 MAGNUM MAUSER BIG GAME RIFLE.

SN 4071. Cal. .416 Rigby. 25-1/2″ Heavy, tapered, stepped bbl has integral file cut 1/8 rib holding one standing, two folding leaf express sight marked for 100, 200, and 300 yards. Bbl also has sleeved-on sling loop at step, and sleeved-on front ramp with small ivory bead. Top of bbl is engraved “John Rigby & Co 43 Sackville St. London. W.” Square bridge, magnum Mauser action is maker marked “WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER – OBERNDORF a/n” on side wall with thumb cut. Receiver ring is engraved “.416 BORE” “BIG GAME” “RIGBY – MAUSER”. Bolt has classic pear-shaped knob and long cocking piece. Flag safety is gold inlaid “SAFE”. Bottom metal with drop box and special large and deep hinged floorplate to accommodate large diameter Rigby cases, is held in place by push button detent in trigger guard bow, which is stamped with Rigby SN. Lightly marbled, dense European walnut pistol grip stock features classic Rigby shaping with short untipped forend, chamfered magazine port, and point pattern checkering with mullered borders at grip and forend. Stock is also fitted with recoil bolt, trap grip cap holding spare front sight, and a sling loop on toe line. Consignor states that this rifle is one of the first 250 of these great rifles made. There is a red Old English pad on butt. Drop at heel: approx 2-3/4″, drop at comb: approx 1-7/8″. Weight: 10 lbs. 3 oz. LOP: 14-1/2″. PROVENANCE: Factory email relates that this particular rifle was sold to Manton & Co in March 1913, and all original specifications match. Also information on the Rigby Magnum Mauser. CONDITION: Fine, as partially refinished. Metal parts retain a considerable amount of their orig blue finish with evidence of cleaning and maintenance, and are mostly dark gray. Stocks retain nearly all of an old oil refinish over numerous light marks and scratches, with several subsequent ones. Bore is excellent, with some slight frosting toward muzzle, strong rifling throughout. Action is smooth. A fine, well used, but carefully maintained, example of this all time classic.

Edited by CptCurl (01/07/14 10:08 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #249136 - 17/06/14 12:24 PM

Lovely rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16773

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com