Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Two new must-read books by Terry Wieland

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
Two new must-read books by Terry Wieland
      #67552 - 21/12/06 12:55 AM

I just received these two titles from Country Sport Press, and they're books that are absolutely indispensible, must-reads that you'll want in you permanent collection of African hunting books.

"Dangerous Game Rifles" and "A View From A Tall Hill: Robert Ruark In Africa", both by Terry Wieland.

www.countrysportpress.com

AD

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SteveH
.300 member

Reged: 26/12/03
Loc: Hillsboro, Oregon
Re: Two new must-read books by Terry Wieland [Re: allenday]
      #67563 - 21/12/06 02:55 AM

Allen,

Haven't read "A Tall Hill", but have read "Dangerous Game Rifles". Lots of practical advice in that one. Enjoyed it.

I surprised that Weiland didn't mention Searcy as a manufacturer of modern doubles, however. He was critical of other manufacturers, so I don't think that he was trying to be polite.

Other than that no issue. It is now on my shelf of reference materials.

-Steve

Dave_Hall
.300 member

Reged: 09/12/06
Loc: PA. ,U.S.A.
Re: Two new must-read books by Terry Wieland [Re: SteveH]
      #67605 - 21/12/06 10:10 AM

I just got T.Wieland's DGR book it's good lots of info,I got Mark's book on the way I hope theres a lot of Pic's.About Terry's book I wish he would have said something about Searcy.A company I wanted to read about was M.Thy & sons the people that made Mark's 600.He spent about 2 second on that company. What can you do I didn't write it.Dave.

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express
2011 Ruger SP-101 4.2" 357 MAG.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Two new must-read books by Terry Wieland [Re: allenday]
      #67966 - 24/12/06 09:23 AM

Quote:

I just received these two titles from Country Sport Press, and they're books that are absolutely indispensible, must-reads that you'll want in you permanent collection of African hunting books.

"Dangerous Game Rifles" and "A View From A Tall Hill: Robert Ruark In Africa", both by Terry Wieland.

www.countrysportpress.com

AD

I agree Allen, the "DANGEROUS GAME RIFLES" is a great book, it is one of his best writings so far, and he has many in The verious gun mags. I wasn't aware of the other book, "A VIEW FROM A TALL HILL" but I'll give it a look! The DGR book is printed with small fonts, so is a very long book in it's 340 pages or so. The photography is a plus in that book as well. There were some exclusions of makers in this book but it would take a book three time that big to cover them all, even lightly.

GOOD READ!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: Two new must-read books by Terry Wieland [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #67973 - 24/12/06 11:37 AM

I agree with Dangerous Game Rifles, though I'm anything but an expert. I found the book informative and entertaining, not an easy feat.

I've been sorely tempted to order Terry's "View From a Tall Hill" because I've really enjoyed a few other of his writings, especially "Spiral Horn Dreams", which I high recommend. Unfortunately, I've ordered several months worth of reading for recovering from back surgery, mainly focusing on sheep (argali) hunting in Asia. I'll see if I can bump into Terry at SCI or the ACGG show in January and pick up "View". With Terry's writing skills, I'm sure he's done Ruark proud and should be a fantastic read.

Terry is one of the writers I have a great deal of respect for. His early days were spent doing "guerrilla journalism" of the many African conflicts - free lance. Something that he was paid more in adventure and making bones than in income, I'm sure. Some might say the boy was "a might touched in the head" for doing what he did. For whatever the reason, we are all the richer for it.

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
Re: Two new must-read books by Terry Wieland [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #68057 - 25/12/06 04:32 PM

Mac, for quite a while now, I think you've felt as though I don't think kindly of you because of our differences of opinion over MS.

The truth is, I respect you greatly, and I really do think highly of you. We are friends, at least as far as I'm concerned, and I would like to keep it that way......

Best Wishes,
Allen

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1294

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com