Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Sharps
.224 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: Texas
Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen
      #67302 - 18/12/06 07:00 AM

I just thought I would let everyone see the wood that Ralf and Martin came up with for my single shot 300.

It is pretty much just a working class Martini and Hagn, no sights or forend tip. It is slated for delivery in May 2007 and I am headed to Namibia with it in Aug. 2007 for 14 days with Ndumo Safaris (Karl Stumpfe).

Josh

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
Re: Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen [Re: Sharps]
      #67316 - 18/12/06 01:13 PM

Josh:

Beautiful mineral lines in that piece of lumber!

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

Tightloop
.275 member

Reged: 24/06/06
Loc: Spring, Tx...
      #67449 - 20/12/06 04:28 AM

WOW....very nice..

Sharps
.224 member

Re: Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen [Re: Tightloop]
      #67509 - 20/12/06 12:08 PM

Hey guys, I just heard back from Mandy and they are going to change the recoil pad from a Pachmayer to a case colored steel buttplate. I just couldn't stand the thought of that great piece of wood with a rubber pad on it. I may need to throttle it back a bit to stand it in a 8lb 300wm, but it will be worth it. Namibia here I come this August.

Josh

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
      #67618 - 21/12/06 01:35 PM

Josh,
I'm still thinking a leather covered recoil pad for mine. I just don't think I want to handle the recoil with a steel buttplate. Yours is gonna be sweet though. Just grin and bear it!!!

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen [Re: DPhillips]
      #67702 - 22/12/06 01:49 AM

A .300 Win Mag won't hurt you with a steel buttplate. There's just not much recoil to it.

And by the way, a leather covered pad usually is a hard rubber pad at its core. That hard rubber doesn't give you anything over a hard buttplate. It's illusion. And if you put leather over a soft pad like a decellerator, the leather will wrinkle and bunch up.

Your rifle will be the envy of the single shot afficionados. I have liked the Hagn single shot action since it first came out in the early '80s. Bravo!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Sharps
.224 member

#67738 - 22/12/06 12:40 PM

Dave, I have actually done a leather covered recoil pad with a Pachmayer Old English as the base. It is on a pre-64 M70 30-06 (that may get sold to finance the Martini and Hagn and Namibia) and it did not turn out too bad. The stock on this M70 had been shortened by some idiot to 13" so I had to add a wood block and a good pad to get back up to 14". The Pachmayer is about as soft a pad as I would try to cover with leather and still hope to get all the wrinkles out.

The truth is that I am not afraid of the recoil in a steel butt 300 win. mag. I have spent 23 years shooting a 30-338 bolt action that goes 8lbs., it has a Brown Precision stock and a skimpy little 1/2" Pachmayer that has hardened to near concrete level. My 30-338 is now on its fourth barrel and is shooting just fine. The Martini and Hagn will be just as pleasant to shoot. I'll just throttle the loads back a tad and wear a recoil shield off the bench. Offhand, I'll never feel the recoil. The 180's that I will probably take to Namibia might bite a little, but not enough to get excited about.

Kill a big one,
Josh

DPhillips
.375 member

#67749 - 22/12/06 03:00 PM

Okay, so now you have me thinking about the steel buttplate instead. I'll run it by the guys in Reno. Sure would add a nice classy touch.

You dog...

SDH
.224 member

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: MT
      #67853 - 23/12/06 07:02 AM

After shooting my .30-40 for a dozen years, I can't tell you how many times I wished it had a recoil pad rather than the steel buttplate. Mine isn't checkered and can slip on my shoulder, just like most leather covered pads do. It is also slippery when placed on certain surfaces and was a constant worry when riding in the back of the truck while hunting in Namibia. I couldn't rest the butt on the pick-up bed, wouldn't stay put in the gun rack and I wound up resting it on the spare tire in a very awkward position. The bluing is mostly worn off of it (case colors would disappear in the first week). Even checkered they are slippery.
As for recoil, I don't like it and even the meak .30-40 will sometimes hurt if not placed perfectly on my shoulder when shooting from the bench.
Matter of fact, the only thing the rust blued, curved steel buttplate with a point at the heel is, is classy. If it hadn't been on there so long I'd saw it off and install a practicle recoil pad, probably a 5/8" red or black Pachmyr.

The stock blank looks great!

--------------------
SDH
www.finegunmaking.com

Edited by SDH (23/12/06 07:07 AM)

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #67910 - 23/12/06 05:07 PM

Josh,

Incredibly nice wood.

Do post follow up pictures of your rifle being made.

Good hunting and Merry Christmas!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Sharps
.224 member

Re: Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen [Re: SDH]
      #68411 - 31/12/06 12:57 PM

Steve, I appreciate your input. I just got off the phone with Martin and we went over the details again. He was telling me about being an apprentice 50 something years ago and his teacher telling him that a classy rifle with a recoil pad was like a well dressed man in a suit wearing rubber boots. I know the pad would be much more practical but I just can't pass up the good looks of the steel butt plate.

We also discussed the engraving. I asked Martin about a Texas/Western flavor look and he pretty much told me it would be a bad plan. After some discussion he suggested and I agreed that the rifle will be clean. No engraving, just case colored. I told him that I was after the best single shot in the world, but that it was going to be a working class rifle. Martin seemed to think that no engraving was going to be my best bet. He did tell me that he thought I could get 10,000 rounds out of the barrel with good accuracy, so I told him he could plan on rebarreling it in 3 to 4 years.

Oddly enough Martin was in Namibia last June and that is where I am headed in Aug. of '07.

Kill a big one,
Josh

DPhillips
.375 member

#68451 - 01/01/07 07:34 AM

Quote:

I told him that I was after the best single shot in the world...
Josh

Yours will actually not be that good. I'm going to convince Ralf to be a 3 degree bend in the barrel when I see them in Reno. See what you get for not going!

Just kidding of course. Sounds like you have it finalized. Anything else left to decide?

Dave

Edited by DPhillips (01/01/07 07:38 AM)

Sharps
.224 member

#68534 - 02/01/07 12:43 PM

Dave, tell him to bend the barrel...I ain't scared. It won't live long anyway, as much as I shoot that 10,000 round barrel might survive 4 years. Nearly every round I fire in coming years is going down the Martini and Hagn because I am in the process of selling most everything else I own to finance it and the Namibia trip.

I hate that I can't make Reno but the cost of that little excursion will cover the trophy fee on my Hartmann's zebra or do 2/3rds of an eland. However, me and Goldylocks might sneak off to the Dallas Safari Club convention in a couple of weeks just to look around.

The only real decision left is the scope. Martin is fitting two sets of Talley rings to my rifle, one in 30mm and a set in 1". One of the scopes is going to be my old Zeiss 6x that I have had since the early '80's. It has been on my 30-338 that I have killed so many animals with. I like it and I am used to it. For a second scope I was considering a Nightforce 2.5x10 illuminated. It does not have an objective bell and I really like that. Steve Hughes does a lot of his singles with slick front scopes and I think they look perfect that way. The other choice would be a Schmidt and Bender 1.5x6-42 in flashdot. They are both insanely expensive. Do you have any thoughts?

Buy Martin and Ralf one for me.

Josh

DPhillips
.375 member

#68545 - 02/01/07 02:02 PM

Quote:

Do you have any thoughts?

Buy Martin and Ralf one for me.

Josh

No, incredibly, I have exactly no thoughts whatsoever. Amazing, isn't it?

I know Hagn and Martini are convinced the rail scopes hold the advantage these days. Whether those are for you, I can't say. I considered those for a while, but I'm leaning hard toward something else right now. They'll have some work convincing me to go with the rail option, though I'm willing to listen.

I'll buy those fellows a few rounds, especially if I can talk them into goofing yours up...

Arctic
.275 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Arctic Canada
      #68558 - 02/01/07 08:13 PM

Well, since I'll be hanging around their shop in a couple of weeks, I'll have to ask about that one and make sure it's in my hands when it's time to trip and fall! ~Arctic~

--------------------
"A stranger is a friend we haven't met!"

Sharps
.224 member

Re: Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen [Re: Arctic]
      #68625 - 03/01/07 12:30 PM

Ok, you guys are just trouble makers now. Picking on a poor ole Texas ranch kid that needs a good rifle to take to Africa to kill meat for the starving wife and kids. Alright, I can't bring back the meat, don't have any kids and my wife gets cranky if I don't cook her a prime rib twice a week, but my point is DON'T BEND MY BARREL, pick on one of the less attractive guys that won't look as good as me with my new Hagn.

Arctic, take a digital camera and post us some updates on my rifle. It would be neat to see it come together.

Kill a big one,

Josh

Arctic
.275 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Arctic Canada
      #68765 - 04/01/07 04:55 PM

Josh, I will get you some photos, .........you want before and after?
~Arctic~

--------------------
"A stranger is a friend we haven't met!"

SDH
.224 member

Re: Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen [Re: Arctic]
      #68813 - 05/01/07 06:05 AM

Josh, I'm sure the steel bp will be classy, and will show more of that beautiful wood. I'd make sure that both scopes had the same eye relief, and that Ralf knows what that is. It will be a big help in setting up the position for the front mount. Part of the reason I like the straight tube scopes is the greater flexability in positioning the front ring.

Did you see Garbe's article in the latest BPCN on barrel cleaning? Good info about how not to wear out a barrel.

Gemsbuck is the BEST game meat I have ever eaten, better than cow elk.

DP, see you in Reno, Thursday night? Ralf's been know to drink a beer or two.

--------------------
SDH
www.finegunmaking.com

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#68892 - 06/01/07 05:51 AM

Josh,

For my choice of the straight-tube scopes I like the 1.25-4 Swarovski or Schmidt & Bender (older model).

Swarovski 1.25-4 PH

These are 30mm tube with great image, field of view, and light gathering. You can't go wrong with one of these.

Also, I think expecting 10,000 rounds from a .300 Win. Mag. is wildly optimistic. Your barrel will burn out much quicker. 2,500 is probably a stretch. This info I pass along from my shooting buddy who is on his third stainless steel barrel on his Dakota in .300 Win. Mag.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Sharps
.224 member

#68918 - 06/01/07 12:22 PM

Steve, do you have any experience with the Nightforce scopes? They build a 2.5x10 that doesn't have that front bell. Its an illuminated scope and the one person I have corresponded with that owned one was very positive. I realize that the light gathering may not be perfect at high magnification, but otherwise it is pretty attractive. I am very interested in having at least one scope fitted that is a low power variable without the objective bell. Martin and Ralf are fitting both a set of 1" and 30mm Talley rings. Scope #1 is going to be my old 6x Zeiss 1".

CatpCurl, I am assured by both the Germans (Ralf and Martin) that these barrels are hammered forged German barrels and are not near as fragile as the near lead American versions. I have been told that I can expect 10,000 rounds that maintain hunting accuracy. I will find that out. I am running around 3,000 rounds a year right now and I intend to funnel the next few years quota through the Hagn.

Arc, pictures with no scratches or bends. That way the Germans can blame the problems on me.

Josh

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#68954 - 06/01/07 10:47 PM

Josh,

I will be interested to hear how your German barrel holds up. As I said, my statement was not made from my own experience, but from that of a friend. I have had several .300 Win Mags and haven't used up a barrel yet. My volume of shooting in those rifles is just not that high.

Please report your experience to the forum.

Your rifle is going to be absolute first class. My comment wasn't intended to cast a bad light on it in any manner.

I envy your project and have considered a Martini & Hagn rifle for myself. I haven't done one for myself because all my spare $$$ seems to land in double rifle acquisitions!

For what my opinion is worth, I would definitely get the steel buttplate. It won't hurt you, and it will certainly enhance the rifle.

Keep us posted on your project; and again, congratulations.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Sharps
.224 member

Re: Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen [Re: CptCurl]
      #68992 - 07/01/07 07:55 AM

Capt. I seem to go through barrels pretty regularly. It is pretty hard for me to quantify when a barrel is actually used up. I guess when I start noticing reduced accuracy in the field is when I get back on paper and check. If a good barrel won't hold around 2 1/2" at 200 meters off the bench in good conditions I start thinking about a new barrel. The last Shilen on my old 30-338 had under 3000 rounds through it and was shooting pretty crappy when I sent it to the gunsmith. Matter of fact it never shot that barrel very well. The gunsmith that just re-barreled it air gauged the Shilen and said that it was nearly .309" and had a tight spot about 7" ahead of the chamber. That was supposed to have been a Shilen top match barrel but I suspect the gunsmith that installed it used one of the cheap Shilens. It has now got a Krieger on it and it shoots extremely well. I've got a Nesika Bay repeater in 6.5-06 that has a Krieger on it and its had around 2000 rounds through it and so far is going strong. Who knows? I guess a barrel is just a wear part.

I'm looking forward the the Hagn, I am going to shoot it until it falls apart.

Namibia, here I come.

josh

SDH
.224 member

#69071 - 08/01/07 09:33 AM

Josh, I mostly use Leupold scopes, no experience with Nightforce.

--------------------
SDH
www.finegunmaking.com

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
      #69171 - 09/01/07 09:06 PM

If you are considering going with a Swarovski scope you may want to wait until after the SHOT Show to decide on a model because I have heard that they have a new line coming out that will offer a 6X range for a variable.

Edit: Just saw this line mentioned over in the DR forum... http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=68339&an=0&page=0#Post68339

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Edited by bulldog563 (09/01/07 09:29 PM)

DPhillips
.375 member

#69509 - 15/01/07 04:55 PM

Sorry guys, been having fits with my back and been trying to catch up at work so I can get to Reno before heading to Vancouver.

SDH,
I'm going to try to make it in Thursday evening, but that is according to Alaska Airlines schedule, which these days could mean some Thursday next June... sigh.

I'm hoping to be out and about Friday, at SCI and ACGG. Hope its not to late to arrange to buy you your choice of poison sometime Friday or Saturday. I head to Vancouver Sunday morning.

Josh,
I'll see if Ralf has your barrel there and if anyone has a vice. Wonder if a guy recovering from back surgery with a pipe wrench, a cheater bar, a torch and vice can put a kink in a match grade barrel??? I'll buy you a Lone Star if I can't and a Shiner Boch if I can!

I bet SDH can put a nice Weatherby monte carlo cheekpiece on that piece of Turkish for you at no charge at the show. Not sand, only rough hewn, of course...

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 166 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13810

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com