Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Eating feral pork

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Eating feral pork
      #6550 - 06/01/04 12:01 AM

How many of you guys when out pig hunting in the Aussie bush eat some of the feral pork that you have shot?

If so what sort of pig do you look for?

Do you prepare/dress it in a special way to avoid the worms etc?

Do you bring some back home with you?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
Re: Eating feral pork [Re: NitroX]
      #6551 - 06/01/04 12:07 AM

Never eaten it! To scared of the bugs. There was a good article in the sporting shooter about eating feral pig, sometime last year. I've got a hankering to try it next dry. I might catch a little one in a trap, feed him up and worm it, see how that goes.

DucofDeath3
.224 member

Reged: 31/12/03
      #6611 - 07/01/04 02:42 AM

I shoot my pigs with my 223 or the 243. I like to try to shoot the ones for meat in the neck or head to not waste meat. A lot of guys think they need 30-30s or 7.62s and they kill alright but you end up with pork mincemeat

Even my 22 Mag 9422M kills em well and lots of rounds in the mag

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #6640 - 07/01/04 11:53 PM

Why wouldn't you eat a piggy? What kind of worms do you get there? Most parasites live in the digestive tract and not the muscles. Some do but do you have those there?

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
Re: Eating feral pork [Re: AspenHill]
      #6641 - 08/01/04 12:03 AM

At least here, in Europe, almost pigs have trichinosis (same that american bears), and must be analized before eat. Be carefull with this.

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

Bakes
.375 member

#6642 - 08/01/04 01:25 AM

Ann there is a worm (forget the name, starts with an S)that pigs get up my way from eating snake and frog carcusses. The worm lives under the skin. I'll track the info down and post it tomorrow.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Eating feral pork [Re: Bakes]
      #6647 - 08/01/04 10:54 AM

Here's an except from an AGNote from up your way in the NT.

Parasites and Diseases

Feral pigs are potential hosts of a number of parasites which could be detrimental to human
health. In particular, they are recorded as being a host of leptospirosis (Leptospira spp.) and
sparganosis (Spirometra erinacei), the latter tending to be more prevalent in pigs inhabiting the
wetter swamp areas. Feral pigs may also be early infected with the diseases melioidosis
(Pseudomonas pseudomallei) and swine brucellosis (Brucella suis). Infections of game meat
workers with brucellosis and leptospirosis are well documented in Queensland. Hunters and
game meat operators should observe good hygienic practices when dressing and handling feral
pigs. Field-caught pork should be well cooked before it is eaten. Pigs in the Northern Territory
may have many helminth parasites including lungworm (Metastrongylus spp.), stomach worm
(Physocephalus sexulatus, Hysotrongylus rubidus), thorny-headed worm (Macracanthorynchus
hirudinaceus) and the kidney worm (Stephanurus dentatus). They are also an end host of
bovine tuberculosis (Mycobacterium bovis) with the occurrence of T.B. in feral pigs closely
linked to the presence of T.B. infected stock (cattle, buffalo). The removal of T.B. infected stock
has resulted in the incidence of M. bovis infections in feral pigs declining to virtually zero.

From elsewhere:

7. Swine Brucellosis
This disease occurs in feral pigs in Australia, and commercial herds rarely become infected. A swine brucellosis tested herd scheme operates in Queensland that allows pig producers to buy pigs from accredited free herds.

Orion whom I hunted with on the last trip is a qualified butcher and also previously owned small goods factories and he didn't think the feral pigs were worth touching. Also he told me something which I previously did not know, that it is actually illegal to transport feral pork across State boundaries. Interestingly Walgett does have a feral pork processing facility and you can buy inspected feral pork directly from them. Every local lad has a traytop 4WD ute and a large spotlight on it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
      #6661 - 08/01/04 05:29 PM

In South-Africa we dont have feral pigs but we do,as everybody knows, have warthog and bushpig.Eating one of these arent a problem.Just make sure they are well cooked.We usually cut the whole carcass into chops and usually "braai" it over an open fire.I should think that the same will work for you guys there.Just make sure it is properly cooked.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Eating feral pork [Re: Bigfive]
      #6670 - 09/01/04 02:01 AM

I have enjoyed a lot of warthog meals. Spare ribs from a young one were the best. I could easily eat a lot of those.

I had no idea Australian swine were so affected by parasites and disease! Great info, thanks for sharing it.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Bakes
.375 member

#6677 - 09/01/04 03:36 AM

Thanks for posting that Nitro

Ann, I think the Northern pigs would be worse than pigs in the southern states, as far as nasties go. I've got a good mate breeding white pigs up here at the moment. Next dry, I'll see about catching a piglet and running it in his yards, to fatten up. I missed my chance last year when I came across 5 real small piglets. And no I didn't kill them I let them all live

Edited by Bakes (09/01/04 03:40 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2801

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com