Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Updated My 450 No.2 build

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Updated My 450 No.2 build
      #63634 - 06/10/06 02:21 AM

As promised the first of the pictures of this build.

The gun has been stripped and the action dismantled, cleaned up and re-blued.
The barrels cut off before the monoblock and awaiting faceing.
The drawings of the barrels have gone off to Lilja tonight and I await their quote.
I have done the calc's on the barrel weights and it appears that the finished rifle should weigh 10 1/2 - 11 lbs.

Edited by Bramble (18/10/06 05:03 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: My 450 No.2 build for those who asked [Re: Bramble]
      #63636 - 06/10/06 02:42 AM

Can you remind us what make the action is? Was it a 12 ga. before? There appears to be enough room on the action for the .577 if you wish to reconsider...

FireHunter
.224 member

Reged: 11/07/06
Loc: Southeast Oregon, USA
Re: My 450 No.2 build for those who asked [Re: 500grains]
      #63644 - 06/10/06 04:10 AM

First, I guess I should introduce myself. I am no stranger to this board and have contacted some of you via PM for help and opinions regarding the building of double rifles. Thanks to all as all I am waiting for is the correct action to fall in my lap!

I agree, that action looks wide enough for a possible .577 but I would be leary about not having the third fastener. Question for the group - just how important is the third fastener for these shotgun conversions? I have extensively researched the different kinds of fasteners but have never really considered an action that didn't have a third fastener.

For the original post, how confident are you in this action? Why?

I am not trying to stir the pot, I am serious about these questions. TIA!

--------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

Bloodnativ
.275 member

Reged: 14/11/04
Loc: South Carolina, USA
Re: My 450 No.2 build for those who asked [Re: FireHunter]
      #63649 - 06/10/06 07:41 AM

How wide would an action have to be to accomdate something up to 577? There is a guy on AR (screenname is "Colorado) that has built big-bore doubles on Stoeger actions with no problem. Though I am just in the planning stages of building my first double, I would have no problem using such an action and plan to. I have contacted several manufacturers inquiring about the pressures that their actions are proofed for and I've always gotten something along the lines of "we can't give out that information.". I believe that with the strength of modern steels and the strength built into modern actions due to the manufacturers' fear of lawsuits (meaning any built in the last quarter of the 20th century and newer) then any of them would probably work. Hence the absolute necessity to re-proof the newly built double.

Until we can get these manufacturers to stop letting lawyers dictate what information they can give us we can never be truly sure that any given action will stand up to the pressures of a DR cartridge.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: My 450 No.2 build for those who asked [Re: Bloodnativ]
      #63651 - 06/10/06 07:58 AM

The .450 # 2 is commonly used as it develops low pressure, in the relm of 32,000CUP. Most of the others develop around 40,000 to 44,000CUP I believe. Compared to the 12,000CUP of modern shotshells even the .450#2 is quite high, but I'd not hesitate to use one for that #2, or a .50/90 Sharps ctg.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: My 450 No.2 build for those who asked [Re: DarylS]
      #63652 - 06/10/06 08:46 AM

Nope. Here are the current CIP max average pressure standards for the .450 No. 2 NE and a few other Nitros:

.450/.400 3" NE.......................40,610 PSI
.450 3 1/4" NE.........................44,236 "
.450 No. 2 NE...........................40,610 "
.470 NE......................................39,160 "
.475 No. 2 (both)....................39,885 "
.500/.465 NE............................35,534 "
.500 3" NE.................................40,610 "
.577 3" NE.................................35,534 "

This is chamber pressure measured by piezo electric transducer. Differs a bit from what most people assume.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

DarylS
.700 member

Re: My 450 No.2 build for those who asked [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #63659 - 06/10/06 01:35 PM

apples and oranges - note I said CUP - the figures you give are PSI- not the same at all. Note the roughly 5,000 PSI lower pressure for the .450 #2 and the .450 Nitro? This is as I indicated.

--------------------
Daryl

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #63663 - 06/10/06 03:07 PM

In reply to:

"apples and oranges"

Nope. BaseCUP (a measurement of bolt thrust), which was the original British standard, and CUP are apples and oranges, as are BaseCUP and PSI. CUP and PSI are both measurements of the same thing at the same place - chamber pressure on the chamber sidewall - by different yardsticks - copper crusher vs. piezo electric transducer.

In reply to:

"note I said CUP"

Yes, you said CUP, which is part of what is wrong with your statement. With the sole exception of the .470, there are no chamber pressure standards for the Flanged Nitro Expresses stated in CUP, because SAAMI has never standardized them. CIP HAS standardized these cartridges - in PSI. You said the .450 No. 2 had a pressure of 32000 CUP and that "the others" were 40000 to 44000 CUP, which they are not. Since there are no standards in CUP for these cartridges, I used PSI so that an accurate comparison could be made.

In reply to:

"Note the roughly 5000 PSI lower pressure for the .450 #2 and the .450 Nitro?"

Note the roughly 5000 PSI higher pressure of the .450 No. 2 in comparison to the .500/.465 and the .577? Note lower pressures of the .470 and both .475 No. 2s? Note that the .450/.400 and .500 have the same pressure as the .450 No. 2? The .450 Nitro is the only one that produces higher pressure than the .450 No. 2.

Your statement was wrong.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

DarylS
.700 member

Re: My 450 No.2 build for those who asked [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #63669 - 06/10/06 10:57 PM

So be it - what I am saying is that the numbers are not co-related. 32,000 or 36,000CUP is not 32,000 or 36,000 PSI- that's all I was saying. In that sense, we're both right.
: Since i have seen that value given for the .450 #2 in relation to the .450 3-1/4", I repeated it above. It was only to show that the .450 #2 gave significantly lower pressure than the other rounds in the same calibre. This event is brought about by the lower expansion ratio of the larger case. This is because the larger case delivers the same ballistics with lower pressure. That is all.
: If you want to get further technical (which isn't necessary) do so at my expense. For most people is it enough to know the .450#2 gives real world (similar if not duplicate) ballistics at a lower pressure and it is therefore safer for the weaker actions or actions of unknow bursting strength, such as using 12 bore actions for rifle ctgs.

--------------------
Daryl

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #63676 - 07/10/06 04:28 AM

Sounds like the 500/465 or 577 is the way to go.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: My 450 No.2 build for those who asked [Re: 500grains]
      #63680 - 07/10/06 07:13 AM

Bloodnativ

"Until we can get these manufacturers to stop letting lawyers dictate what information they can give us we can never be truly sure that any given action will stand up to the pressures of a DR cartridge. "

That's why there are gunmakers and proof laws.
Gunmakers know what is what and proff laws make sure they build products to a standard.

If all the gun makers gave out the information you want, then every tom, dick and harry would want to start building guns, taking away some of the market.

500 Nitro

Bloodnativ
.275 member

Re: My 450 No.2 build for those who asked [Re: 500Nitro]
      #63682 - 07/10/06 08:16 AM

"That's why there are gunmakers and proof laws.
Gunmakers know what is what and proff laws make sure they build products to a standard.

If all the gun makers gave out the information you want, then every tom, dick and harry would want to start building guns, taking away some of the market.

500 Nitro"

Yeah I know. However nobody produces a double chambered for a nitro cartirdge that is affordable for folks such as myself. Therefor, we're left to do it on our own. With a family, 3 kids, buying a house, getting deployed, vehicle breakdowns, piss-poor insurance at work, etc., etc. I don't see it being possible to spend several thousand dollars on a rifle for MANY MANY years, if ever. I truly envy those of you that are in a position to spend 10, 15, 20K or more on the double of your choice. Those that can afford to buy a good double aren't the ones that will be building themselves. They will and do spend the money for the workmanship that goes into such a gun. I can save enough to buy a donor action. Then save a few hundred more to do a little work and so on until it's complete. I know people will say that I could just keep saving until I have enough to buy a double but in my reality that isn't possible. Something comes up that takes that money away (see above). Besides, there aren't enough of us that do or would build our own guns to adversely effect the market. I just want to be able to do it safely.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #63684 - 07/10/06 10:50 AM

bloodnativ

Understand.

However I have done the figure and I would say that if you take out the time factor involved and spent the same amount of time working on earning money or selling stuff, you would have the money to buy a DR.

Just my HO and I understand your point of viiew. Life is all about choices.

As to the question re third fasteners, alot of Holland guns are built without them. That's not to say I would do it but it can be done and a third fastener doesn't necessarily mean that the gun won't shoot loose.

500 Nitro

Bramble
.375 member

Re: My 450 No.2 build for those who asked [Re: 500Nitro]
      #63723 - 08/10/06 11:15 AM

Gosh

I was just posting some pictures.

The action is a Zabala Magnum 12 guage. Sold in some countries ( not this one) as the model 213 I believe.

The reason that I chose that action is that it is proofed to 1370 bar for 3 1/2 inch 1 5/8 oz 12 guage shotshells and by design it was intended to discharge both barrels simultaniously.
If one looks at it in kenetic energy terms. There is an equal and opposit reaction to the discharge of a projectile. So 1421 grains of shot at 1400 fps is 6158 ftlbs to be dissapated throughout the action. As opposed to about 4800ftlbs for the 450 No.2.

Now I cannot find my calcs tonight, but the breech thurst is also far greater than the 450 No.2 from all the figures that I have been able to glean.
This is also why I have not been too concerned with a third fastner in this action. Biakial are building some doubles in 30-06 I believe without the third fastner and to put it politly without a great deal of quality control. I believe that the breech thrust is greater than 450 No.2 These are being imported to the states and in that litigious society I would expect that somebody tried very hard to blow one up before that decision was taken.
In terms of hoop pressure resistence modern steels as so much stronger than the turn of the century ones that this gives me little cause for concern.

IMHO it is also not enough simply to look at the cahmber pressures of two or more cartridges. One must also look at the surface area accross which that pressure is conducted to determine the breech thrust. Given that the barrel has sufficient hoop resistence/strength then this is the critical factor. This is the principles applied in hydrolics with differing size cylinders ect and many others.
If you think of a real world analagy you can stop the flow of a 1/2" garden hose connected to the main water by putting your finger over it. Try that with a 4" main at the same pressure.
Knowing the force is not enough, one must relate that to the area accross which it opperates.

The bottom line however is that provisional proof will tell the tale. I am lucky that the London proof house is only 4 miles down the road. I wonder if they charge extra if they have to pick bits of 4140 out of their ceiling??

As to the economics, I could, if I wanted go to the safe and buy a cheep double tomorrow ( not an English one unfortunatly ) For me personally it is not just about saving money, it is also because I enjoy doing it and there is a satisfaction to shooting something that you built.
What I build will never compete with H+H or Purdy, nor is it intended to but it will be a part of me in a way that even those masterpieces never can.

Anyway if my wife is reading this over my shoulder that is my excuse for all those after work hours spent in the workshop

PS Shall I continue to post pics as this progresses??

Regards

Edited by Bramble (08/10/06 11:35 AM)

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #63727 - 08/10/06 12:11 PM

You have too. There is much interest here on building Doubles, as you can see.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Bloodnativ
.275 member

#63748 - 09/10/06 02:45 AM

"As to the economics,...... For me personally it is not just about saving money, it is also because I enjoy doing it and there is a satisfaction to shooting something that you built.
What I build will never compete with H+H or Purdy, nor is it intended to but it will be a part of me in a way that even those masterpieces never can."

My feelings exactly. I love the feeling of getting to play with something that I built. The more complex and time comsuming it is the more I enjoy it (to a point of course). I will never be able to compete with any of the professional builders either and, like you, I don't intend to. I just want to make something that I can be proud to use and show to my buddies that don't have one.

YES!!!!! YOU MUST KEEP THIS THREAD GOING!!!!

WildCattle
.275 member

Reged: 22/03/06
Loc: Northern California
      #63754 - 09/10/06 05:07 AM

There is no denying the satisfaction of shooting your "own" rifle.
It is probably cheaper to get a small caliber DR from Europe than to build one. However, it can make sense to build a large caliber one. The volume for european DR is entirely in the small calibers which explains why their large calibers one are much more expensive and probably not as well fitting as well.
Hence, I believe that building a large caliber makes sense, not only as a personal challenge, but on a practical level as well.
As pointed out by 400NE the interest in the 450No2 for a shotgun conversion might lie more in its "my round is longer than yours" characteristics than in actual pressure numbers.
The 470NE (for a 16GA base) is probably the best choice IMHO because of availability and cost of reloading materials, with better resale value to boot. The 500/465 follows closely. Otherwise, the 577 3" NFB would likely be better suited for a 12 Ga base.
I have been looking hard for a suitable base for such a conversion, without too much success so far.
My personal wish list is:
- 12ga 3" or heavy 16Ga
- boxlock or sidelock back action (one can dream)
- long action bar
- bushed firing pins or small firing pins
- third fastener
- Pistol grip stock, heavy and large at the wrist
- monobloc or chopperlump (see #2)
- low cost (see #2)
- pitted barrels to help the previous one

I have yet to find the right candidate !

WC

--------------------
You know you have reached perfection of design not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing left to take away.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Bloodnativ
.275 member

Re: My 450 No.2 build for those who asked [Re: WildCattle]
      #63766 - 09/10/06 04:45 PM

not meaning to hijack this thread but maybe, hopefully, someone has the books or research that could list the different chamberings that could be tried on a given action size.

I.E. 12 ga.+ 500 or 577NE? NFB?
16ga.=450NE, 450#2 470
20ga.=450/400, ?
28ga.= I plan to do a 30/30 on one

This action is purely theoretical and any resemblence to fact is purely coincedental. It is just how I thought they might fit though I have no experience in such subjects. I was planning to use a 12 guage action for all my builds from 450/400 up to 500 or 577. I infer by the previous post that that may not be the idea way to do it. Does anyone has any information on what sizes of actions work with that chamberings to get the best balance and performance? If so PLEASE share!!!

yellowhammer
.224 member

Reged: 23/05/06
Loc: Texas
      #63768 - 09/10/06 09:13 PM

Please continue to post on your progress.

Bramble
.375 member

Re: My 450 No.2 build for those who asked [Re: yellowhammer]
      #63820 - 10/10/06 09:47 AM

Bloodnative.

IMHO

As I see it we have two criteria in opperation here.
Firstly the action size in relation to its ability to resist breech thrust.
Second the physical diamiter of the doner actions barrels at the monoblock or lumps. For any given cartridge you must be left with enough metal surrounding the cartridge, both in terms of the shank diamiter of the new barrel and what is left of the old blaoc/lumps after they have been reamed out.

So whilst it might be theorieticaly possible in action strength terms to hypothetically chamber such as a 20 gauge action for say .577 the walls of the barrel would be too thin to contain the hoop stress and would fail radially.

I have researched this extensivly and there is no difinitve data that I can locate. There are so many factors in play.

With old actions you have questions about the steel quality.

You have the inponderables of chamber friction v breech thrust. (see Varmint Al's web site, he is a good engineer and has graphicall illistrated stress calculations)
You have the weight issue. ( Too light a gun is going to beat hell out of you).
I have not read a thread or article where an action has failed. Barrels yes, actions no (so far). The reality is that one would need to destroy a gun in testing to find out where the limits really are.
We are extrapolating from shotshell pressures, but again there are variables. Shot shells use faster powders, so the pressure/time curve is different. Shot shell cases have no structural integrity in the walls. They are shorter so the force/area calcs are different.
Rifle bullets have to engrave on the barrel, smoothbores do not Pressure/time again. Shotgun barrels are choked, again Pressure/time.
I think in reality that many modern actions will tollerate such conversions because of the quality of the steels used nowdays and the computer controlled hardening and tempering the stells go through.

To give you an embaressing example. Whilst building my nitro powder muzzleloading .38 revolver based on a SAA clone frame with a custom built cylinder, I decided to see just what it would do flat out. It has a 7" barrel I was getting 1600 fps or there about with a 158 grain TCFP, when the recoil was so severe that it caused 2 other caps to back out and detonate or the flash back was so severe that it got under the other two caps. I never could determine which. Thus three cylinders discharged simutaniously. The ejector rod had been previously removed so one head extruded 2/3 out of there the rest heven knows where, and the head on the left of the cylinder adjacent to the one I was acually firing extruded out, and about a 1/4 of it made a nice semi circle around the cercumference of the protruding barrel shank.

That cylinder was unfluted and mechined from 4140 at RC30. Nothing was damaged except the loading gate which tore off and scored the back of my hand, my pride, my underwear, and my belief in my own lack of stupidity.
Incidently I am not proud of that piece of lunicy, I only write it in praise of the steel manufacturer.
I dread to think what might have happened if that had been an origional cylinder.
I would imagine that the pressure for a single cylinder was way above book let alone three, two of which had only about .125 before encountering an immovable obstruction.

As to definitive data. I am going to build this and then let the London proof house try and blow it up with a proof load. Thus we will know by the spring at least that there is or is not, one named action that will convert to .450 No.2

Regards

Bramble
.375 member

#64200 - 18/10/06 05:14 AM

Don't have a milling machine at home, so ..
First machine a tapered mandral on the face plate

Checking for a perfect fit. Lots of 600 grade try and try again.

Sucess, now a little jig to hold it in position

Won't bore you with the very painstaking clean up but here she is finished. Now just a wait for the US state department to clear myweapon of material destruction barrels for export. And bless you Dan Lilja for doing this so promptly.

Regards

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6025

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com