Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Shotgun Slugs (...again!)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Shotgun Slugs (...again!)
      #60524 - 29/07/06 04:35 PM

Despite heated discussion on other forums about using slugs for leopard, in drillings no less (!), things have been a bit quiet on the shotgun forum for a while so I thought I’d toss the subject up again here. There have been some (very loooong!) threads in the past on using a side-by-side sluggie as a poor-mans double: Yogi and others on related forums have gone to great lengths to justify big game hunting, even dangerous game hunting, with the shotgun slug. Interesting stuff......

It transpires that the Brenneke is probably the best choice for a smooth-bore slug which behaves successfully on big game. Rather than the hollow lead cup Foster-style projectile popular in the US for whitetail, Brennekes are true solids, relying on a permanently-attached base-wad of fibre or plastic to remain stable in flight. Made of hardened lead, they are apparently designed not to deform or mushroom. With emphasis on penetration rather than expansion, the Brenneke slug is well-proven on Northern Territory buffalo over many decades of use, and has successfully taken cape buff.

Brenneke slugs recovered from buffalo.

Some of the Brenneke offerings on the Rottweil website loaded in 3” magnums are simply astounding: 1 3/8 oz at over 1500 fps for over 3,000 ftlbs of knock-down power! Whew!

Unfortunately for us in Australia, our importers appear to have turned their back on the marvellous Brenneke range, and our local gunshops here in Darwin are stocking new slugs by RC4 and PMC, both very similar in design. OK, let’s have a close look at them....

New hybrid slugs from RC4 Italy.

These slugs appear to be a hybrid between the Brenneke-style slug with attached base-wad, and the deep hollow-base Foster-style projectile. The web-site lists their weight at 1 1/8 oz which looks promising, however the lead slug itself is only an ounce, with the remaining 1/8 ounce coming from the base-wad. These all-plastic wad-columns are not attached permanently to the slug, being a firm push-fit into the rear of the slug’s hollow base. They are easily detached and replaced by hand, but my own range tests have proven that they remain integral with the projectile at least until impact. Out of 18 fired during the last session, only one wad detached about 20 metres after passing through the core-flute target, the rest remained fixed right to the butt-stop. Impressive!

RC4 base-wad details.

Even more impressive was the accuracy. At 25 metres, a CBC single-barrel was chopping out 1.75-inch groups with just the front bead sight, and my unchoked 26”-barrelled William Griffiths SxS double with crude open sights was placing four shots (2 rights and 2 lefts) into 2 inches consistently at that distance.

25m group from the Griffiths SxS smoothbore double.

I fired the last pair of the day at a 50-metre ‘pumpkin’: they were also only 2 inches apart on centres!
Gotta be happy with that!

A right and left at 50 metres with crude open sights.

All that remains is to take a handful of these slug-loads out into the hunting field for a proper evaluation on game. The chance will come soon enough: all the hunting reserves in the Top End are designated ‘shotgun only’ for the duration of the goose season, this year gazetted 30 August to 30 December. Unfortunately for rifle shooters, that period encompasses the hotter part of the dry season, when feral pigs and the odd buffalo are drawn in to the diminishing water supplies. For some time now I have been toying with the idea of building a Paradox gun on either the Wm Griffiths action or a Greener ‘Empire’ to take advantage of this situation, but in the meantime I reckon a short handy smooth-bore with these modern hybrid slugs might be worth a shot!

I should add that the SxS shotgun in my tests has been re-regulated for solid projectiles. Virtually all SxS shotguns will cross-fire with slugs, sometimes by a couple of feet at 50 yds! The Wm Griffiths boxlock mentioned above suffered catastrophic muzzle failure in the hands of the previous owner’s hunting buddy (I’m told he stuck the barrels in the water to shoot a fish!), so I picked up the remains for a song. I have so far shortened it to 26-inches, relayed the bottom rib, and brought it back on the face. The sights are temporary affairs taped on at this stage, but proper sights will be made and tinned onto the re-laid top rib now that I have decided its fate (at least in the short to medium term!).

Bring on the boars and buff!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Shotgun Slugs (...again!) [Re: Marrakai]
      #60535 - 29/07/06 10:05 PM

This may be a old question asked again and if so I apologize----

What type of penetration has been documented with the 12 gauge BRENNEKES vs Rifle bullets? Any studies out there?

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #60540 - 29/07/06 11:47 PM

Sounds like you made it out to the range on Thursday and even better the results are very encouraging.
Sounds like you are going to put that pair of barrels to good use.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #60545 - 30/07/06 04:50 AM

Interesting stuff Marrakai.

Out of curiousity have you or others been able to test those new "Sauvestre arrow" type slugs on big or dangerous game yet?

http://www.sauvestre.com/index_us.htm

In Europe they are getting to be more popular than the classic Brenneke for big game especially for big boars and deer. I've only shot them a few times on driven hunts but with no hits (I'm not the best shot on running game, or standing game for that matter ).

Thanks!

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Shotgun Slugs (...again!) [Re: Chasseur]
      #60552 - 30/07/06 11:41 AM

They might be just what I need for my upcoming trip, as I intend to nail a buff or two with the shotgun.

--------------------
One shot is all you need.

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: Shotgun Slugs (...again!) [Re: 260rem]
      #60561 - 30/07/06 05:44 PM

Chasseur:
Sadly, we can't even get Brennekes anymore, so not much chance of specialty stuff like the Sauvestre Arrow catching the eye of our importers.

Perhaps some forum members have put them to the test stateside. They look like a fine idea, but they sacrifice the one thing that a big 12-bore slug will always have in its favour: wallop!

Hoppdoc:
There are few scientifically-conducted penetration tests available on the web. I have searched.....
Plenty of subjective comment, and certainly plenty of bulldust!
The number of punters who have tested penetration on water jugs, car bodies, old fridges, etc outweighs the number who have measured penetration on game by about a million to one!

Even Yogi has taken his banter over to Shotgun World to woo the masses, check this thread out if you have time, especially page 2:
Slug Gun Thread

That's the thanks you get for trying to help a guy out. Sheesh!
I re-read his last thread on NE.com and came to a slightly different conclusion from him and Karl.......

You just can't help some people!

Anyway, I guess we better organise a few penetration tests of our own, out among the paperbarks.....

--------------------
Marrakai

Yogi000
.333 member

Loc: New York, USA
      #65002 - 01/11/06 06:44 AM

Hey. I'm back. Marrakai, your posts are right on and I was not disagreeing with you. I was merely reporting what I thought i read or heard on phone calls. However, I have definitely come to the conclusion the Dixie slugs are primarily made for rifled barrels only and will tumble in a smoothbore.

I have been loading my own dangerous game slugs and round balls and have had some success but still looking for a replacement for the 600 grain Brenneke BM. I haven't been ecstatic about the penetration of these slugs. Plus they fracture, (All tests in soft wood, not bone tested yet).

Thanks to all for the excellent insights and sage advice so far.

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: Shotgun Slugs (...again!) [Re: Yogi000]
      #65015 - 01/11/06 09:17 AM

Welcome back, mate. Have you had a chance to get out hunting with the Brennekes yet? From the experiences of my friends, and e-stories on the web, I believe Brenneke slugs never fracture on game, so perhaps the wood testing medium is too hard.

I have been very busy with work, so sadly no time to test the RC4 slugs on boar yet. I'm betting they will expand too much for buffalo, like the old Foster slugs: big lead donut! Hopefully the chance to field-test them will arrive before our next wet-season does!

--------------------
Marrakai

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #65081 - 02/11/06 06:28 AM

This is all quite interesting. My own 12 bore testing has been with round balls .684" at 480gr. in pure lead and 466 gr. in WW metal, as well as .715" at 545gr. in pure lead and around 520gr. in WW metal.
: My accuracy results were good in a side by side with 26" tubes. I shot only one large deer with them at 100 yards. Of course, there was a 3/4" hole in and out.
; I used special wadding to keep the balls centred, so they would be fairly accurate. I achieved 8" groups at 100 meters, 2 lefts 2 rights. This was using both the original-type BP loads as well as smokeless loads duplicating BP velocities. I found my 12 bore didn't diverge with heavier loads, nor did it cross with lighter ones. I tried to keep velocties in the 1,500fps to 1,550fps range for the full power ammo, but the ligher load shot well too.
: Since doing some disapointing minor penetrative testing with the hollowbased slugs, I switched to round balls. They penetrate and don't break up, even the 13 brinel ones of WW metal. For expample of possible penetrative power, S. Baker stated that a hardened 14 bore ball would pass through and through an Indian Elephant's head using but 4 1/2 drams of powder. That's good enough for me. The 150gr. and 191gr. charges duplicated light and heavy BP African 12 bore loads. The light 12 bore load, listed in Greener's book was 110gr., however I used his velocity figures of 1,384fps and 1,584fps as a base in developing my own duplication loads, BP and smokeless. A 110gr. charge in my double made only 1,200fps. Greener's 12 bore lower velocity was achieved with 150gr.in my gun and the higher velocity, with 191gr.2F. Both shot well and to the single leaf + Point blank sight I installed. As well, smokeless loads did likewise & had about 1/3 the recoil.
; Any solid conical cannot be shot in a smooth bore with accuracy, unless it possess some sort of guiding system, as in attached wads, or being hollow like a foster slug, utilizing the weather cock principle. Rifling on the side of the slug has no observable effect in rotating for accuracy. Foster slugs I've recovered from soft materials have shown virtually no 'rifling' left on them, due to slugging up in the bore and wear from the bore as well. Lyman itself states the 'rifling' on slugs is so they'll compress in a choke without damage, only. For air to turn or rotate the slug, the passage in the groove must run from one end to the other, not be closed off by lead or wads as with rifled slugs. In the late 1800's and early 1900's many different methods were tried to get slugs to rotate, but none were very successful except for rifling in the bore, in one form or another.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Yogi000
.333 member

Re: Shotgun Slugs (...again!) [Re: DarylS]
      #65083 - 02/11/06 07:11 AM

QUOTE FROM ABOVE: "...S. Baker stated that a hardened 14 bore ball would pass through and through an Indian Elephant's head using but 4 1/2 drams of powder. That's good enough for me. "

Good enough for me too.!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent posts and observations. I appreciate the news and comments. No I haven't been able to shoot any BIG creatures with Brenneke's. It is BOW season here ONLY. I have been out with my bow but decided not to pull the string back on a couple of deer I could have shot at. (Too small.) I believe shotgun season isn't upon us until Nov 15 here.

Regarding slug types for DG: I do think I am going to go the ball / sphere route too. Using the hardened approach. I think the idea of an inverted shotcup with the end cap snipped off, using it as a carriage and centering wad to keep it evenly moving down the pipe is a stellar concept.

The regular lead .715 balls I used were not that accurate at 50 yards but I admit I shot them carriage-less. The .715 soft lead round balls Stars&Stripes laoded for me in BRASS shells were about as equally as inadequate department at 50 yards. Something like a 6-8 inch pattern... 4 inch is about the outer limits at the range in my book. But the soft lead round balls are in my mind okay for deer or something that won't bite back, but I'd want something with more assertive penetration capability if the creature was the kind that might bite.

I am re-reading "Death In The Long Grass" and it is certainly inspiring. Makes me yearn to pack up the double shotgun to take it out for some real challenges of man against his own mortality, such as---up against some very large cats. Leopard hunting would be something I'd like to direct my double 12 gauge toward, indeed using very hard round spheres and a goodly amount of KE. The other advantage of course of a 12 gauge is a shot load such as the three mini-slugs packed in that Dixie shotshell could be employed if you're out at night and might need to point and shoot or if you are following up and want to put TWO of those in the double barrels. Those seem to pack quite a wallop and do seem to hold together well from the reports I've read.

Work has been gruelling for me as well. Some nights I just lie in bed and ponder taking a 3 week holiday and using it all up for hunting DG.

hoppdoc
.400 member

#65092 - 02/11/06 07:49 AM

Interesting empty banter read on Shotgun World---
No objective testing of slugs on DG or slug penetration I found unless I missed it. The bad mouthing of people/Double rifles was very childish though.

Marrakai- I am in agreeement with your sentiments entirely.

Objectively-
I would certainly be of the opinion and logic that a some type of deep pentrating shotgun slug could be designed with a penetrating design and bestowed enough energy to be moderately effective on DG by the abuse I have sustained on the end of some 3.5 inch 12 gauges I have shot. Penetration is the name of the game.As far as the "flat" Brennekes and slugs out there now,how much penetration actually occurred with Buff shot and at what distance??--I suggest the members of Shotgun World go after some Buff on video and follow them up in the long grass if those Dixie slugs don't penetrate enough. Should be interesting real world experience.They may wish some NE forum member would back them up with a Double though!!

--------------------

Edited by hoppdoc (02/11/06 07:55 AM)

Yogi000
.333 member

Re: Shotgun Slugs (...again!) [Re: hoppdoc]
      #65097 - 02/11/06 08:16 AM

Bad mouthing of people/double rifles??? hmmmm. I like double rifles. I like them alot. I stated that some people insist shotguns simply won't work on DG. At all... and I don't agree. At All. If that is taken as bad mouthing I'm sorry to hear that. Even worse, if that is construed as childish, wow, I am truly befuddled. Yet I apologize for any injury experienced by this.

Actually I would like to own a 470 NE double and happen to like the philosphy and approach of most double gun owners. In the meantime I am developing a double barrel slug gun for DG and one of the major pieces of the equation is:

SLUG or BOOLIT

I was wondering about solid copper round balls???. The soft lead balls I have handloaded and shot seem to be too maleable and susceptible to fracturing especially when hitting something as hard as BIG BONE. A DG hunter I have communciated with by phone swears to the devasting effectiveness of shooting tungsten carbide spheres in his smooth bore.

There is a company called SphereTec who makes spheres of high accuracy using everything from ceramic to brass to stainless steel. I was contempalting trying some but definitely wanted to see if anyone else had or if any experienced hand loaders had some input. Thank you so much.

hoppdoc
.400 member

#65098 - 02/11/06 08:48 AM

As stated I feel that a shotgun with a properly designed slug to PENETRATE should be moderately effective on Buff.The required energy capability seems available from shotshells available.I'd pass on Ele though.No way, no how--

Maybe a 3.5 inch 12" shell with one of the bullet proof "pointed" design slugs specifically for vest penetration that the SWAT entry teams use would give good deep pentration and a large diameter wound track.

I think the solution lies in applying the correct technology to the projectile used to get the penetration desired on Buff.

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #65100 - 02/11/06 09:22 AM

What is a boolit?

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Shotgun Slugs (...again!) [Re: hoppdoc]
      #65176 - 03/11/06 03:53 AM

I have a good friend here, who uses his English Sporting rifle for Moose most every year. This rifle has dropped some 40 or more moose. It is .75 calibre and he uses a .715" round ball cast of wheelweight metal with a heavy denim patch. He started out at 200gr. 2F powder for 1,600fps. At that level, he couldn't keep a round ball inside a moose, no matter what angle the shot, front to rear, rear to front, both shoulders, angled shots, always taking at least one lung. Our Bull moose in that area run to about 1,200 pounds on the hoof, some bigger, few smaller. This is a man who has taugt many to hunt our moose, but usualy ended up finishing them off after being wounded by others, hense being able to stick several (or more) per year.
: Being one to show up at work with several bullets or balls recovered from moose, Keith was beside himself - nothing to show but his freezer full of moose meat. Over the years he reduced his load in about 20gr. increments to 110gr. At that charge he successfully managed to recover some balls to show us. They were non-deformed, of course, except for the odd branch gouge or bone rip on the outer surface. WW balls worked splendidly for him, and we've found them to work well in as small as .54 calibre rifles, muzzleloaders, of course.
: His loads can be be duplicated, using those same balls and powder charges in brass, paper or plastic hull in a 12 or 10 bore shotguns or rifles as shown by my own testing. The target below, is an 8 bore group shot with round balls. It is not wonderful, but does show that at normal forest hunting ranges, a smooth gun is capable on big game. My own double 12 made groups like this at around 80 to 85 yards, with the balls spreading to 8" to 10" maximum at 100 yards, my designated maximum range for them.
: With a hardened ball such as WW metal, or 1/2 and 1/2, WW and pure lead, any hardeness can be acomplished by hardening and then drawing the temper to whatever level you want. This is done with water and the kitchen stove. A ball harened to brinel 30, then drawn to about brinel 18, will not only be very hard, but also very tough, that is, if WW metal isn't good enough. We've found straight WW metal to be all & more than what's needed, but then, we havne't shot any buffalo with them. We do know we wound't be undergunned for our Bison, that's for sure. Smashing both shoulders of a bull moose and then exiting is what they'll do, given even a moderate charge. If that isn't enough, then perhaps other hobbies should be persued.
: The loads he used in his muzzleloading rifle will fit in normal 2 3/4" plastic hulls & are the same as the African factory loads in 12 bore. The velocity is normally higher in the ctg. gun as there is no pressure loss at the nipple as with the caplock rifle.
: He could have used a .735" ball of about 620gr., but the lighter 545gr. ball did the job at hand quite nicely & loaded more easily.
: Think about this - if a round ball can exit an animal such as a moose, with it's huge elastic-like hide, where most modern rounds can't, surely there is enough to penetrate to the vitals of most game. "Through and through" were Baker's words describing a 15 bore ball from a 14 bore rifle. Keith's loads using a 12 bore ball from an 11 bore rifle were considerably more powerful than the loads Baker was talking about.
: What is "enough gun".

--------------------
Daryl

Yogi000
.333 member

#65189 - 03/11/06 04:53 AM

Daryl--- As always, your post is of great intrigue and import. I am encouraged to see the loads you described in good detail can be duplicated in a plastic 2 & 3/4 or even 3 inch hull no problem and, ergo, essentially duplicated in a 12 gauge shotgun.

Last night I reread some emails from a hunting friend who shoots Asian Buffalo with his double barrel shotgun. As he says, and it certainly makes sense---there are THREE MAIN factors to succeeding with a shotgun. Hardness of projectile, the powder, and the distance. Of course he is saying you can shoot dangerous game with shotgun but you need to deliver the projectile deep into the beast... If you load up a shotgun with a hard and heavy slug, AND you have enough charge behind it AND if you shoot at reasonable distances, certainly 10-50 yards: the result is dead beast. It is essentially the same with RIFLES except with a 470 NE double of course you have extra range, greater fps, and higher energy number at distances. Yet the 8-12 gauge slug is certainly heavier and can deliver quite a wallop with penetration at close range.

(BTW--- The term boolit is just intended to be a funny sounding way of talking about a "bullet" or projectile other than a round ball slug... for example: a machined copper "slug" with a metplat of .6, a flattened nose resembling a round ball but certainly NOT round. My girlfriend has a heavy accent and always says: "You and your BOOLITZ." So I enjoy typing it the way I hear her and other people with certain accents SAY the word. If you don't think it is funny, I'll understand.)

I have shot several Dangerous Game slugs (607 grainers) loaded up for me by Stars&Stripes... While I am satisfied with the accuracy at 50 yards, I admit I need to do more conclusive penetration tests beyond shooting them into layers of Plywood then examining the pieces.

Of course, DG is not just Buffalo and Elephant. DG is also leopard and lion, and as Peter Capstick says: "I have always favored shotguns for close work with... dangerous game like leopards...'

That said, the post you just provided, Daryl, goes a long way in confirming that the hunters in the last century and early part of this century had the weapons shooting round balls that were quite satisfactorily deadly on dangerous game, even those not considered light skinned. With today's 3 inch chambered 12 gauge (oe 10 ga) shotguns, we can certainly duplicate and even exceed the weight/hardness/charge requirments to do some quick work on dangerous game of both the think skinned and heavier skinned variety.

By the way Daryl I re-read some of your old emails regarding how to cut the shotcups and utilize them as carriers for .715 roundballs. Excellent stuff. Thanks!

DarylS
.700 member

#65194 - 03/11/06 05:28 AM

Pleasure is all mine. I certainly had a lot of fun with the double 12 I worked with, and intend to do much the same with the Marlin M1896 I recently aquired. I cannot remember what I ever did with that 12 bore double - must be at a friend's house - maybe Keith's. It is a terrific camp gun for discouraging marauding grizzlies intent on the meat pole. The more information there is out there to promote more guys to get involved in this 'sport' the better.
; The same guy I spoke of, Keith, with the .75 cal Sporting rifle, in conjuction with another friend of his, deveoped round ball loads for their full choked duck guns, using the .684" round balls (my 14 bore English Sporting Rifle). They found they only needed to use a wad column that filled the case along with a cloth-patched ball. Upon my suggestion, they picked a denim cloth about .012" to .015" thick, that they could just shove through the choke, to make sure they waere safe to shoot. They used the normal duck loads for 1-1/4 oz. shot with SR4756 and SR7625 powders. I suspect their velocities ran in the 1,250fps to 1,300fps range, somewhat less than the ones I developed, but pretty close to the velocity of the 'light' African load for the 12 bore ctg. guns. Of course they used the smaller, 466gr. round ball, but that too, of course, was just as effective on the moose that wandered close by their duck blinds. The 'boys' penetration tests consisted of shooing through a 45 gallon (imperial measure) fuel drum. The round ball punched through both sides, whereas a normal Winchester or Remington 1 ounce Foster slug made a dent and lead splash on the impact side. One such shot actually cracked the metal, but only squirted a small amount of lead through. This testing convinced them something bettr was needed for moose. They were right. Their shooting was at 50 yards. Howard, one of the fellows, claimed his first round ball loads printed inside 5" at 50 yards offhand, about the same as his offhand groups from his normal Moose rifle, a triple 4 Marlin. That was as far as his testing went. Makes it easier when someone paves the way, eh?
: Needless to say, he was rather happy with his duck/goose & moose gun.
; I almost picked up a rifled gun for testing when they first came out. The problem as I saw it, was the twist rate used in them, 35" was way to fast a twist for the projectiles I'd come to depend upon - round balls. Had they made one in 100" twist, I'd have been much more inclined to buy one and to develop good loads for it. The 35" twist showed it was too slow for the .50 cal. BRI slugs, the waisted ones. Groups, while appearing fairly good, showed tipping of the slugs. To me, this mean instability after impact. Besides, why shoot a descent bore size with a tiny bullet? While being too slow for the .50 cal slug, they we too fast for round balls with any but squib loads. Not for me - what I was after, was a descent twist rate that would shoot well with round balls, which to me, gave the best killing power at normal game ranges. A 100" twist would have made a properly sighted 12 bore into a 150 to 200 yard big bore rifle, one capable of handling anything on this globe in good fashion, yet also capable of being shot in an 8 or 9 pound rifle. Before I got around to rifling one by hand, a good weight 12 bore, I sort of lost interest in this game & went on to other shooting testing.
: Thanks for re-kindling those thoughts & ideas. You never know what I might come up with. A gun with descent length barrels, 24" to 26" full choked (40 points of choke) resonable weight at the muzzles, the chokes rifled in about a 60", deep grooved twist, might just be the ticket. The more rapid twist than optimum may be necessary to get sufficent spin from the round ball. It's all about experimentation. I wonder if anyone knows what twist was used in rifled choke guns of the 19th century?
: I should also note here that for those of you wishing to try some of these type loads, round balls can be purchased by the 25 count from www.trackofthewolf.com is various sizes. Nominal 12 bore size is .729". I have found that the .648" size fits the base of a 12 bore steel-shot cup with the petals trimmed off. These are pure lead, of course, and will answer for all North American game, including grizzlies. This relatively small ball weighs just over 400gr. & is the size suitable for a muzzleloading 16 bore smoothbore gun, also a suitble siz for any Indian game, including Elephant and Tiger & buffalo. The reason for th trimmed wad, is for the remaining inside cup form. This holds the ball in the centre of the bore until discharged from the muzzle. This helps with accuracy, but your own testing with this and other methods will show what works best in your 'bore' gun.
: Some of my aquaintances have also used 20 bore sized balls of .615" and 320gr. weight, approximately, inside 12 gauge shot-cups, with a 20 bore fibre wad under the ball. They claim excellent accuracy with this ball size and very easy load preperation. All that is needed is a 12 bore AA white plastic wad, 20 bore fibre wad from 'TRACK' and a 20 bore ball. I personally prefer the larger .715" to .725" ball for non-choked guns, or the .684" ball for choked guns. The have found that normal shot-type laods worked well for these round ball loads. They matched the shot load data to the weight of the ball being used.

--------------------
Daryl

Edited by Daryl_S (03/11/06 07:06 AM)

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #65199 - 03/11/06 05:48 AM

Yogi-

Thanks for the clarification.
On the web, one often sees accentuation or presentation that has some kind of underlying meaning such as typing in 'all capitals' as to imply a raised voice or using acronyms like ROFL to imply laughter.

See, for some time I'd completely missed the boat on the meaning of the REAL bullet.
Rifling
Engraved
At
That just whizzed over my head as I had figured that there was simply some great brand loyalty out there for some maker's moulds.

Same for your particular spelling and presentation of the word 'bullets'
I'd seen it elsewhere and thought there might be some kind of internet ebonics happening that I'd similarly missed.

Thanks for the answer.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Yogi000
.333 member

Re: Shotgun Slugs (...again!) [Re: tinker]
      #65202 - 03/11/06 06:51 AM

Other people who type the word boolit may have the ebonics thing going on for them... (ha) That I do not know. I like it though.

I'm re-encouraged by the pro-sphere (pro ball) approach to addressing the question of what to use in a smooth bore.

I admit for some months I had been working with the currently popular DG slug design offered by several companies... (reminds me of an old small toy metal casting): The sort of pointy, very crude looking things with plastic carriage attached to the rear OR with the Brenneke design. (Better, but, it reminds me more of a gear than a slug / boolit).

There is something utterly refined and downright sensable with a perfectly round ball. Plus, I heard they don't keyhole.... hahahahaaaaaaa

Anyway, since I can't find any really hard .715 or .720 lead balls to buy already made up, I guess I need to get me a mold and make them myself. And will search to find some solid tungsten carbides and or coppers. This round of searches should be entertaining if not throughly interesting...

That penetration testing in a 45 gallon drum is very illuminating. I would expect clean pass throughs at 50 yards. Not getting that would certainly concern a hunter of any game that can bite back. Getting the clean pass throughs with the hardened lead balls even with lower powder charges is mighty gratifying.

DarylS
.700 member

#65204 - 03/11/06 07:17 AM

There is a source of very good, quite reasonably priced moulds from Jeff Tanner in the UK. I have two of his moulds now. They fit regualr Lyman large block handles or RCBS handles. Do a google search for his web site. Unfortunately, he makes only round ball moulds. When I ordered, it was as simple as telling him the mould size I wanted, and waiting 7 days. With the mould, was a bill of sale requesting me to send a check or MO in Us funds to an address in the States.
: If you have a cylinder bore gun, you can match bore size to the round ball mould ordered. I think they are only $30.00 US, which is very cheap indeed. I use a pair of wire strippers, with the little cuttouts, to trim the spures. There is no sprue cutter on the mould. This is simple to do, and a single swipe of a wood rasp, cleans off the remaining stub to a round sphere that can be loaded any which-ee-way.
; Round balls don't tumble, per-say, but will, after a period of time, take on a spin from the air or barrel and curve away from the line of departure. This is why a non-rifled gun has limited range. The longer you can keep the ball from spinning, the better the accuray. This is why the use of a shot cup with cup upwards is such a good deal. The ball is delivered from the muzzle, static, in a non-spinning manner.
: Years ago, when I was a kid, I experimented with screwing tails of ribbon to the bals. They were fun to watch and owrkd after a fashion, but I was only 15 and knew very little of handloading, back then. I got the idea from a G&A article on putting tails of buckshot to make them pattern better. generally, the tails were blown off at the muzzle, but it was fun experimenting. See, there is no end to experimentation.
: Have fun, but be safe.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Shotgun Slugs (...again!) [Re: Chasseur]
      #65205 - 03/11/06 07:25 AM

Chasseur - the recovered French projectiles show too soft a bullet in my opinion. The fact that one was revovered from a Roe Deer shows poor penetraion. I would personally want to see an exit hole on anything less than 1,000 pounds.
; As well, the undersized nature of these reduces what a bore gun is all about. It's about smashing power, something that those undersized 'bullets' don't deliver.

--------------------
Daryl

Yogi000
.333 member

#65207 - 03/11/06 08:33 AM

I just sent an email off to Jeff Tanner.

Thank you Daryl!

I have always wanted to make my own.... BOOO LITZ

I started handloading slugs earlier this year and the testing has been fun... but something was missing.

Maybe it is just me, but I find those DG slugs ugly and they just don't inspire confidence in me. But a ROUNDBALL... ahhhhhhh that is perfection!

I emailed Jeff and told him I wanted to order a mould but gave him the bore sizes of my double barrel smootbore and some other info and asked him to make a recommendation for the mould size. (I am guessing he is going to say .720)

I hear you about the spin and how it will curve, but, as you and I have established from the beginning of our conversations, we are talking a short range DG gun and as we've expressed before that means a gun that has good accuracy at 50-60 yards... (100 yards to an 8 inch square)... AND one of the primary uses is as a stopper: A gun that will stop a charging animal: point blank to 20 yards.

Marrakai
.416 member

#65249 - 04/11/06 02:32 AM

Yogi:
In reply to:

SphereTec...makes spheres of high accuracy using everything from ceramic to brass to stainless steel. I was contempalting trying some but definitely wanted to see if any experienced hand loaders had some input.

A couple of years ago I decided to experiment with round balls in the 12-bore. I started with pure lead 12-bore balls from the muzzle-loading suppliers, but quickly learned that they deform in the bore on firing, and fly all over the place. Shooting 16-bore pure lead balls in a 12-bore shot-cup was the next step, however results were just as bad.

Then I got the notion that solid steel balls would not deform (!), so I obtained a couple dozen polished steel ball bearings from the mob that rebuild automotive CV-joints, and loaded them up in AA-wads and shot them out of a cylinder-bore double I had lying around. Here is the result:

The two high ones were from the clean, slightly oily (?) barrel, the remainder went into about 3 1/2 inches, at 25 yards!

Turns out the wad was trying to crawl past the ball in the bore, pushing the ball off line before it exited the muzzle. Check out the recovered wads, very uneven damage to the shot-cup petals. Some petals were chopped off completely!

So...! The next step was to try to centre the ball in the shot-cup. I cut the over-powder part off a few 16-bore wads, inverted them in the bottom of the 12-bore shot-cup, and dropped the ball-bearing on top. The results improved slightly to 2 1/2 inches for 6 shots (3R + 3L), still not brilliant for 25 yards.

At least this time, the impressions on the wad petals were even all round (and none were chopped off!), showing that the ball-bearing remained centred in the bore.

At that point I gave up, assuming that no better than 2 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards (5-inches at 50 yds, 10-inches at 100 yards) could be obtained from a round ball under any circumstances.

Happy to be proven wrong at any time, though!

...and please don't burr up telling me its dangerous to shoot hardened steel ball bearings in pommie shotguns. I already know I'm mad, but with enough common sense (or blind luck!) to survive thus far!

--------------------
Marrakai

DarylS
.700 member

#65259 - 04/11/06 06:05 AM

This is the system I am currently going to try out for wads. I picked up 6 bags of steel-shot wads for 12 gauge for a good price and find them to be very heavily constructed and suited for this purpose. Along with testing BP loads with shot in the old 96 Marlin with slightly shortened wads, I am using the totally cut-down was for testing with round ball loads as well. The interior of the steel shot wads is perfectly cupped like the Swedish cupped wad of 1910.
: The first wad is the full sized wad.
: The second has been cut almost all the way through with a hacksaw, fine blade.
: The third wad is the base section.
: The fourth, with a .648" 404gr. weight pure lead ball bought from trackofthewolf.
: The last one, the .684" ball at 480gr., 466gr. in WW metal that I'll probably end up using.
: Next to that is a .744" round ball cast from a Tanner mould, which has had the sprue trimmed then rounded off with a rasp.
: I will experiment with both the .684" and the .722"(as cast) from
: The J.Tanner mould also pictured in RCBS handles. Lyman large block handles also work well.
: I am out of it's .722" balls, but seem to recall they weighed in the vicinity of 555gr. area cast out of wheelweights, about 575gr. in pure lead.
: The base cup as shown, results in having a square saw cut, is then chamfered on the inside using a sharp pocket knife, or a 3/4" ball mill with an electric drill could be used.
: Due to the shortness of this wad and ball, extra wads may be required between the powder and ball/wad combination. Card wads as well as fibre wads are available from www.trackofthewolf.com in a variety of sizes.
: I find 11 gauge fibre wads fit well into 12 bore plastic cases. 12 bore cards may have to be used(if you want to use card wads as the 1/8" 11 bore card wads expand the sides of the case somewhat when seated down into the case. That expansion may prevent chambering in tightly chambered 12 bores, maybe not. The fibre wads are all that's really necessaary and at 1/2" thickness, they can be split easily with a finger nail or knife if some other thickness is required. The whole affair can be loaded with a standard crimp or merely beveled over the top of the ball with a shotshell crimping station. I use a Lyman plstic crimper to start the fold-over, then use the coned crimp starter from my old Pacific shotshell loader to iron the fold further by twisting it around by hand. Regular roll crimpers can be purchaed from Lyman. These are used with an electric drill, or, more easily, with a drill press. Poking out primers is easy with a Lee decapping rod, or you can make one easily with a fairly descent sized nail with the end ground down a bit. A 5/8" diameter dowel is used with a flat surface and light hammer for seating a new primer. A Lee loader in 12 gauge (or whatever size you're loading for) can be used as well & contains the base sizer, wad seater, decapper, etc. They can easily be loaded by hand, btw, with a minimum of hand made tooling. A loading block is a handy device for holding primed and charged cases in different stages of being loaded.

--------------------
Daryl

Yogi000
.333 member

#65263 - 04/11/06 07:20 AM

Beautiful pictures. Explains what I wasn't sure I knew...

And appreciate the info, Marrakai, on your testing. I wonder if your less than terific accuracy results were due to differences in actual measurements of the round ball diameter compared to the bore diameters(?) Plus I do know that for me .715 soft round slugs do not shoot as accurately as Brenneke style with the outside of thin measuring .730 in my .725 bores. ...obviously in my case the rails actually compress to fit down the bores.....and the result appears to be: clover leaf accuarcy at 50 yards. So fitting the bore---even if it means squeezing some---seems to be key.

Obviously you guys have tried a number of approaches as well developed slugs for use in your shot guns that were successfully deployed for big nasty game. If I recall properly, Daryl, you had taken some Moose at over 50 yards with round ball and home brewed shell loading.

I wonder if anyone has brown bear or grizzly experience with a big bored smoothy?

Thank you agin for the terrific information. It really is helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17646

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com