Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sambar hunting - tips, techniques & strategies?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Sambar hunting - tips, techniques & strategies?
      #5848 - 18/12/03 11:48 AM

Gryphon

I would like to pick your brain with some sambar hunting questions.

I've only ever got out after sambar a couple of times, near Lake Eildon and Big River. Big River is pretty thickly forested, at least where I was.

Most SA hunters going after Sambar go in August and used to, may still, head for the Wonnangatta.

I'm thinking I want to to try to get away for a week after vintage, perhaps even in May or failing that June. If not later in the year.

Is there any time of the year that is better than others and does the techniques/strategies change at all?

Perhaps in Winter they move down due to snow in the higher areas or perhaps in Summer in the river bottoms more?

It has been a few years since I went after them. Is the Wonnangatta still a hot spot or has this changed with time and perhaps the choice areas behind the "wave" moved further East? Do you know if the Wonnangatta is still locked off over Winter and to walk in is required?

I would think starting off again, the first trip or two would be more scouting missions, to look for sign and where they are moving around, perhaps having to relocate. Then hopefully future trips to be in the right country.

Thanks for any answers.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Les
.224 member

Reged: 04/05/03
Re: Sambar hunting - tips, techniques & strategies? [Re: NitroX]
      #5853 - 18/12/03 04:38 PM

G'day NitroX, I'm not Gryphon, but I'm back from work guys thank christ.
Mate I've been hunted Big River and Elidon for close on 30yrs yeah I'm an old bastard ok, I've seen the changes come and go in the area like some years plenty of Sambar and the next nothing, I hunt (solo) all year round what I have found in Eildon there is a "herd" (family) if you can call it that which move around the whole legal hunting area with an occasional stag entering from the Big river state forrest across the Jamieson/Eildon road, there is good quality Sambar there but hunting and picking up their movements can be frustrating for a first timer.
Big River takes in a bloody big area mate and there is still good deer to be found in some areas.
I've had some of my best hunting and please don't laugh, during summer on the flats where creeks run I know of a area during hot summer I can sit down and watch a stag and some hinds come down to munch on green fodder and drink, I watched a stag over time for some years in the same place every year, I never pulled the trigger but he has now gone maybe to age or someone elses bullet I'll never know but I hope he is out there rooting some hind.
I leave you with one area mate and you will see Sambar if you put the work in - a line from Mt Terrible to Mt Duffy Big River- hard yakkar but it's all there....best of luck...Les

forgot to mention Wonnangatta mate I spent a week up there with a two mates a couple of months ago saw some nice stags out of range but took two young hinds for meat. still got 40kg in the freezer. top tucker!..Les

Edited by Les (18/12/03 04:50 PM)

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Sambar hunting - tips, techniques & strategies? [Re: Les]
      #5868 - 19/12/03 07:29 AM

he has now gone maybe to age or someone elses bullet I'll never know but I hope he is out there rooting some hind

I GOT HIM LES YOU OLD BASTARD AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Nitro if you want easy hunting get into the `Gatta before the gates close on the queens B/day w/end mate,weather is good (generally) the deer have rubbed out (generally) and maybe even a wallow or two is touched up,you will always see deer in there (if you walk far enough) and good camps are to be had as well. I prefer to get amongst them in Aug Sept when the stags are getting into everything,walking/rubbing/wallowing/fighting/mating/ and are down low feeding primarily on the B/berries leaving sign everywhere for us dills to follow haha.
Have done much the same as Les at Eildon but its getting a real hammering these days but stags are still to be had with some luck involved..best to hunt out of a boat and walk the shoreline for marks by bulls overnight,this method is most productive as i can always find a fresh stag mark that has come off the tops overnight.Eildon can be tough on the knees mate ..its a frigging steep joint where i get about.
Sambar are all about Big R too but its mostly a real prick of a thick place unless you are right in the know.stay out of there Nitro and take either the lake or the Gatta...you never know i`m hoping for an early trip into the gatta in May myself...we might connect!
When the gates are shut its a ten or so mile walk in but it is better if you have previously made a supply dump first to hunt this way.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Sambar hunting - tips, techniques & strategies? [Re: gryphon]
      #5877 - 19/12/03 11:58 AM

Some good advice. Thanks Les and Gryph.

I remember the hills and woods of Big River very well, especially the first place we tried where it took a long time to get anywhere. With no deer sign found and the sky opening up and snow we moved ....

Tried the Northern End next and did find some sign and spotted a hind - on the first trip. But by then it was time to go.

Second trip was abit more productive but haven't got back there for quite a while since. Time to start again I think but I was a hell of a lot fitter then too.

The supply cache idea is a good one and one I now remember from other blokes. Perhaps a couple of trips - one earlier to scout and one in the peak time. If I am lucky perhaps. If I am really lucky some nice easy hoggie country, the letter should be out about now I have read.

Good tip of looking for tracks on the Lake shoreline too.

Thanks for the tips. Good to hear the Wonnangatta is still a hot place.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Sambar hunting - tips, techniques & strategies? [Re: NitroX]
      #5893 - 19/12/03 05:07 PM

Nitro if hunting from a boat its only a matter of one hunter (that can read sign) getting out and eyeballing the ground as the other fella takes the boat up 1/2 a mile and walks from there.First fella covers his 1/2 m then gets in the boat and picks up other fella further along the shore, this way you can do a mile of shoreline in bugger all time mate and if you cant pick up a fresh stags marks in a mile sell your guns and take up knitting lol.Woods, Heffernan, Kelly, Binges creeks running into the weir are all handy stag hangouts so are Black, Sebastopol and Grypho`s cks mate!Cant tell ya about that last one yet.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12019

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com