Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Osa & Martin Johnson's Lake Paradise arsenal

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Osa & Martin Johnson's Lake Paradise arsenal
      #57680 - 24/05/06 03:35 AM

Martin and Osa Johnson spent four years at "Lake Paradise" in Northern Kenya on the Eithiopian (then Absynnia) border. This was their second sojourn to the Lake to take photos and film of the wildlife.

They armed themselves with the following 'arsenal':

3 English Blands - .470 NE - double barrel
1 English Bland - .275 - Mannlicher action
1 American Springfield - .303 - Mauser action
1 English Rigby - .505 - Mauser action
3 American Winchesters - .405 - lever action
1 American Winchester - .32 - lever action
2 English Jeffrey's - .404 - Mauser action
1 American Winchester shotgun - 12g - repeating
1 American Parker - 12g - double barrel
1 American Ithaca - 20g - double barrel
1 American Ithaca - 20g - sawed off shotgun, called riot gun
1 .38 Colt revolver
1 .45 Colt revolver

Reference: "I Married Adventure" by Osa Johnson, 1940

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Osa & Martin Johnson's Lake Paradise arsenal [Re: NitroX]
      #57686 - 24/05/06 07:02 AM

They must have had a whole wagon just to carry the ammo!

I wonder about the Springfield. Could they have meant an American Enfield in .303? Or did they mean an '03 Springfield in 30-06? Or perhaps were they using one of the Springfield prototypes?

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Osa & Martin Johnson's Lake Paradise arsenal [Re: 500grains]
      #57696 - 24/05/06 08:49 AM

I've got the book also and I think it was just a typo about the Springfield being in .303. Also, the "Mauser action" description probably meant a "bolt action". Just my best guess.

"Osa pictured in the Serengeti with her new Springfield rifle, 1928."
From: http://www.safarimuseum.com/museum_shop/postcards/postcards.htm

That's definitely a Springfield action. I believe it was a sporter in .30-06 by Griffin & Howe.

Osa Johnson with Winchester Model 1895 rifle in .405 Winchester.
(The description and list of their rifles is given in "I Married Adventure".)

Black Rhino / Thomas Bland double rifle in .470 Nitro Express.

http://www.safarimuseum.com/

Also, see this thread here on nitroexpress: Osa & Martin Johnson - Photo Archive

-Bob F.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Osa & Martin Johnson's Lake Paradise arsenal [Re: BFaucett]
      #57705 - 24/05/06 01:53 PM

There were Springfield action rifles supplied to the British by the USA in WW1 chambered for the .303 cartridge so theoretically it is possible.

500grains,

On one of their "photo/filming safaris" they took 40 tonnes of gear and supplies!

On some of their foot safaris they had up to 200 (or more) porters each carrying 60 lb loads.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

BFaucett
.333 member

#57713 - 24/05/06 02:50 PM

In reply to:

There were Springfield action rifles supplied to the British by the USA in WW1 chambered for the .303 cartridge so theoretically it is possible.

Springfields or Enfields? I know the USA made Enfield Pattern 1914 rifles in .303 for the British but I've never heard of Springfields being chambered in .303. Of course, I'm not an expert in the history of military rifles so I could very well be wrong.

-Bob F.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#57714 - 24/05/06 03:08 PM

Springfield action .303's. With those funny "ears" on top of the action at the back, which are often milled off on custom rifles.

I too may be wrong. Only read about them, but I believe many thousands were manufactured.

Whether they are a true Mauser action I also do not know.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#57718 - 24/05/06 03:21 PM

From the African Hunter website:

In reply to:

This now leads us to the strange saga of the Rifle-Which-Nearly-Was-But-Wasn’t and Nearly-Wasn’t-But-Was, generally known as the P-14.

The reasoning behind my somewhat excruciating hyphenated conundrum will become clear once we examine the history behind that odd rifle, the P-14. No sooner was the hapless No.1 Mark 3 adopted than there were plans afoot to replace it. Experimentation led to the adoption on a trial basis of the P-13 in 1913, and this was a different rifle indeed (although, confusingly, it is generally referred to as the “Enfield” rifle). It was far more Mauser like, having double front locking lugs on the bolt and the Mauser non-rotating claw extractor. It also had the Mauser integral five round staggered magazine. A very good peep sight was fitted, which was ahead of its time, but protected by rather cumbersome “ears” machined into the receiver bridge. The calibre was also different, being a .276" (7mm) rimless round similar to the .280 Ross. Although it had its points, the whole rifle strikes me as being a Bisley target shooter’s idea of what an infantry rifle should be. Nonetheless, British Ordnance were impressed with it (who cares what a bunch of dumb old troops think, anyhow??), and testing proceeded with a view to adopting it.

Unfortunately, these tests were beset with problems. Great difficulty was experienced, not so much with the rifle but with the ammunition. The new 7mm round produced excessive blast and flash, overheated the barrel and quickly eroded and fouled the bore. Much head scratching was done, but before any solutions could be obtained World War 1 intervened. It was wisely decided to shelve all development work on this troublesome new ammunition and to stick with the .303 round, for the time being at least. As such, a few minor modifications were made to change the new rifle to .303 calibre, and it now became the Pattern 1914 (or P-14) rifle.

In reply to:

Ironically enough, when the Americans entered the war in 1917 they, too, faced a critical shortage of U.S. Army Springfield rifles. The Springfield was similarly difficult to mass produce, but guess what? There was all this machinery and tooling already set up to produce P-14’s for the British, the contracts for which were now fulfilled. It was but the work of a moment to do the few design changes necessary for it to be changed from the British .303 to the American .30-06 calibre, and hey presto - the Americans now adopted the self same rifle in .30-06 calibre as the P-17 to offset the shortage of Springfields. Again, the P-17 was never intended to replace the Springfield, but it turned out that there were more P-17’s used by front line American troops than there were Springfields. Thus it was that a rifle which looked set to replace the Lee, which was then abandoned in the light of combat experience, came to at least partially equip two of the major armies of the conflict.

http://www.african-hunter.com/303_rifle.htm

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#57719 - 24/05/06 03:25 PM

Springfield .303

--------------------
John aka NitroX

banzaibird
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/05
Loc: S.C. Pennsylvania, USA
      #57726 - 24/05/06 10:53 PM

Nitrox,

The text you quoted above is talking about p-14 and p-17's. These are "enfield" actions. The springfield was an entirely different thing. It was more or less a copy of the Mauser with minor changes.

I'm not sure it's possible to put a rimmed cartridge the size of the 303 in a springfield. Maybe there was some confusion because the original cartridge that came out in the springfiled was not the .30-06 but the .30-03. It was basically the same as the 30-06. In fact the differences are very small. So perhaps there was some confusion with the 30-03 name.

Bill

banzaibird
.333 member

Re: Osa & Martin Johnson's Lake Paradise arsenal [Re: banzaibird]
      #57727 - 24/05/06 10:59 PM

Ok I just went to my cartridge collection. The .30-03 is a slightly longer case and used a 220 grain round nose bullet. The .30-06 is as I said shorter and used a 150 grain spitzer in original military loading.

Bill

BFaucett
.333 member

#57728 - 24/05/06 11:57 PM

In reply to:

Springfield action .303's. With those funny "ears" on top of the action at the back, which are often milled off on custom rifles.

I think that's the Enfield rifle.

British Enfield .303 caliber P14 rifle, made in USA by Winchester.

US .30 caliber (.30-06) M1917 rifle.

The Enfield Pattern 1914 was in .303 British and made for the British Government by several U.S. companies. The Enfield M-1917 (Pattern 1917) was in .30-06 and made for the United States government (to help alleviate the shortage of Springfield Model 1903 rifles).

Well, we're getting a little off topic but this is interesting in itself.

-Bob F.

banzaibird
.333 member

#57730 - 25/05/06 01:10 AM

Bob,

Not sure where you got the pictures but they are a great example of the models.

I have 2 springfields in my collection. One is a first year production with the .30-03 caliber designation and the second is an "A4".

I know where an original bushmaster carbine is but the gent as of yet is unwilling to part with it .

Bill

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #57749 - 25/05/06 08:33 AM

They're right John, you've confused the Enfield with the Springfield. The British P-14 (Enfield) in .303 was produced for the British in large numbers in the US during WWI. The 1903 Springfield was produced exclusively for the American military and was never produced in .303, as we've never used that cartridge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Osa & Martin Johnson's Lake Paradise arsenal [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #57752 - 25/05/06 01:44 PM

Well a hypothesis might be the Johnson's .303 was either a Springfield in model '03 in .30-06 (or .303?) or a Springfield made Enfield in .303.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#57759 - 25/05/06 02:00 PM

I like that the lever actions were in .405 Winchester, which seemed a reasonably common rifle among early safari hunters, at least the American ones. Popular also among the horse riding lion hunters of the day I believe as well.

No mention of that other "classic" "modern trend" old lever action chambering. I dare not mention it by name!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #57760 - 25/05/06 02:37 PM

During WW1 a family by the name of Bannister? bought up reject Springfield rifles from the factory most of these had brittle actions and re-heated them and converted them to .303 British but they were not a success the British rejected them but took some as drill arms about a thousand were made , maybe one of these went on safari?

I would guess it was a P-14 in .303Brit as it was standard military round in Kenya and .30/06 a bit hard to find in them days?

I see the Winchester 1895 in .405Win was popular with early safari's maybe they knew something about the .45/70 that todays shooters have forgotten!

Steve

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

Edited by RLI (25/05/06 02:44 PM)

BFaucett
.333 member

Re: Osa & Martin Johnson's Lake Paradise arsenal [Re: RLI]
      #57777 - 25/05/06 11:48 PM

Different pose, same rifle as above.

Closeup of the action:

That sure looks like a Springfield action to me. (Notice the cocking knob on the bolt. Also, the bolt handle doesn't have the dog leg shape of the Enfield.) Also, I'm no expert on such things, but that also looks like a Griffin & Howe side mount for the scope. Personally, I still think it's a Springfield action sporter in .30-06 probably made by Griffin & Howe. "Fours Years in Paradise" took place during 1924-1928 (IIRC) so the time period is right for a Griffin & Howe sporter.

As for ammo, I seem to recall (IIRC) reading in their book that they took several cases of ammo with them. So, that would solve the supply problem since the .30-06 probably wasn't very common in East Africa back in those days. However, Kynoch did offer ammo for the .30-06 (at least according to my 1936 Kynoch catalog reprint.)

Well, regardless, I've found this exchange of information and ideas friendly and fun. That's one of the things I like about the nitroexpress forums. Unlike some other boards at times , we can have a discussion in a gentlemanly manner.

Cheers!!!
-Bob F.

BFaucett
.333 member

#57778 - 26/05/06 12:02 AM

Just a few more shots of Osa with rifles.

-Bob F.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#57780 - 26/05/06 12:41 AM

Osa Johnson was a mean and cool shot from the sounds of it.

In her autobiography "I Married Adventure" she more than a few times describes her husband filming a lion, rhino, elephant, whatever and it turning into a charge which she drops before it gets to him. Basically she was the "hired gun" for her husband.

Even more dramatic in that she describes a couple of their first trips on safari where both of them had trouble hitting anything at all. But as time went on so did the skills.

AND we probably know these charges were real as they were probably captured on film.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

banzaibird
.333 member

#57789 - 26/05/06 01:35 AM

Bob,

I agree that is a Springfield action. However the confusion was that the pictures were showing springfield and the written text was indicating enfield. Then add on the .303 designation they list just added to the confusion. It probably is simply a typo as you noted.

Bill

FrankMartinez
.300 member

Reged: 20/08/04
Loc: The real Northern CA, USA
      #57967 - 30/05/06 03:01 AM

I really enjoyed their books. There are also cd's and other materials available about and by the Johnson's here
http://www.safarimuseum.com/

Frank

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Osa & Martin Johnson's Lake Paradise arsenal [Re: FrankMartinez]
      #58629 - 11/06/06 06:15 AM

it is without a doubt a springfield and i look s like a g&h it has the typical g&h front sight and the shape of the bolt handle is what ive seen on other g&h guns
many people that hunt arent always gun nuts, they are more into the hunting than the particulars of a rifle, remember there werent a whole lot of bolt action sporters to choose from back then

love those old safari pics ,where the rifles that they took for granted we now cherish..............paul

375Brno
.333 member

Reged: 18/10/05
Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Re: Osa & Martin Johnson's Lake Paradise arsenal [Re: pjaln]
      #59098 - 21/06/06 08:31 PM

This is my favourite photo of Ossa.

Let me know if it does not post properly - I followed the instructions to the letter !! (and it is a good photo)

[image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=356291&sort=7&thecat=998&password=[/image]

[image]http://www.hunt101.com/img/356291.bmp[/image]

Edited by NitroX (22/06/06 06:51 AM)

BFaucett
.333 member

Re: Osa & Martin Johnson's Lake Paradise arsenal [Re: 375Brno]
      #59138 - 22/06/06 03:23 PM

File converted from bmp format to jpeg format for faster load time. (The bmp file was about 800K.)

375Brno
.333 member

Reged: 18/10/05
Loc: Brisbane, Australia
      #59142 - 22/06/06 05:11 PM

thanks BF - much appreciated

Regards
Rick

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 11379

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com