Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scope problems in Africa

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
Scope problems in Africa
      #50263 - 19/02/06 01:53 AM

I always include a spare scope for my rifles on every safari. Fortunately, never had a scope problem in Africa, while I know others who have.......

Who's actually had a scope problem on safari?

AD

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: allenday]
      #50266 - 19/02/06 02:23 AM

Two straight years running I lost a scope on my 375 in Zim. Couldn't zero. Adjustments had no effect. Mounted spare checked zero and continued to hunt first year. Second time just switched to my 30-06 for remainder of hunt. Both scopes were Leupold Vari-XIII 1.5x5's which were returned to Leupold for repair which they promptly did,one under warranty and the other which was many years old they upgraded to current and returned for I believe $15. Have used both scopes many times since with no problems. My first safari of 8 I had the scope on my Brno 602 375 shift to rear because the Warne levers were not tight enough and the lug on rear ring that fits in the slot in rear bridge tried to shear off as it had minimal engagement. I prefer the CZ factory rings as they fit better for this reason. The lug is heavier and fits the recess better. Haven't tried Talleys but am going to buy a set and see if they are better. They certainly LOOK better. I always carry a spare scope.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #50268 - 19/02/06 02:30 AM

Allen,

I have never had a scope problem in Africa. But I have always used quick detachable mounts of some sort, and kept the scope in my carry on backpack I bring on the plane trip. Together with other fragile items such as my camara etc. Just incase the baggage monkeys at the airports decide to throw my guncase around as I'm sure some of them do.

Although I agree that bringing a spare is a good idea, I think the most reliable way to back up the scope is having open sights on the rifle. (Provided that the hunters eyes can use open sights)

Thus, since the open sights are always on the rifle, you can't leave them behind/forget them in camp/whatever, like you might do with a spare scope.

So the best solution IMO would be both open sights, and a spare scope.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #50290 - 19/02/06 08:08 AM

AD, unfortunately, I refuse to respond to your question, because I don't want to jinx myself.

JoeR
.224 member

Reged: 19/01/04
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #50293 - 19/02/06 08:43 AM

German Zeiss 3-9 on my 300 H&H froze the erector in the heat of the Kalahari and could not change power. Stuck on 5X so was able to use it. Also, rubber ring on objectice kinda melted off, it was actually secured by some type of two sided tape (couldn't take the heat). Zeiss did replace the unit with a new VM/V which I sold in its sealed box. That rifle now wears a Leupold.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #50323 - 20/02/06 12:24 AM

I have a very good mate who hunted Africa a couple of times.
Both times his rifles were fitted with expensive Zeiss scopes.
Both times the Zeiss scopes shit themselves.
He now uses Leupold scopes on all his hunting rifles.
On my last trip to the Territory one of my hunting mates had a brand new Sako 338 fitted with a Zeiss scope.
Needless to say first shot fired from it in the bush and the guts of it falls to pieces.
I guess I will stick with my old Pecar's,havent let me down in
30-40 years.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #50325 - 20/02/06 01:48 AM

Alan,

That sounds like a lot of failures!

Do you know if these were the Zeiss "Conquest" or the "Victory" series? I have the impression that there is quite a differance in quality between them.

Erik

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #50330 - 20/02/06 03:14 AM

About 10 years ago, a friend of mine booked his first African Safari, and had a custom rifle made in 416 Remington. He topped it off with a Zeiss scope, and after 3 shots at the rifle range, the cross hair wires broke. He was given a new Zeiss to replace the broken one, mounted it and headed out to the range. 11 shots later, the cross hair wires on the new scope broke. He swore off Zeiss Scopes, and replaced his Zeiss with a Leupold 2 1/2 X 8, and it's not given him any trouble.I don't know what model Zeiss he had on the rifle, but I do know he wasn't at all happy.

**DONOTDELETE**

#50342 - 20/02/06 07:49 AM

Interesting information on the Zeiss scopes. I have failed three Lepold VariX III rifle scopes. Luckily none failed while hunting, but that is why all my hunting rifles have iron sights too!

Scott

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: ScottS]
      #50348 - 20/02/06 08:32 AM

I guess it just goes to show that every scope out there has had an owner that had trouble. It doesn't matter ir it's brand X, Y, or Z. That's probably why every scope company has a customer service departments.

I used to work with a guy who wouldn't blink an eye at buying a $1000.00 rifle (back in the 70s), and then he'd always put the cheapest Weaver Scope he could find on it. Every year or two he'd have to send them back to the factory, and they'd send him a new one. He thought that he was getting a great deal. Now, I don't mean to bash Weaver's, because they did make some virtually indestructable scopes, but some of their cheaper models were best put to use propping open doors.

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #50376 - 20/02/06 03:13 PM

Man I am glad I read this. I was literally about to buy a Zeiss scope in a couple hours from ebay. What do you guys think the best sub $600 dollar scope is at the moment? Or should I just save up for one of the ultra premiums?

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: bulldog563]
      #50389 - 20/02/06 10:56 PM

Has anyone had experience with the Leupold LPS line of scopes. They are supposed to compete with Swarovski, etc.

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: EricD]
      #50392 - 20/02/06 11:46 PM

Erik,I believe 2 of them were Conquest and as for the third one ???????????
I see someone mentioned Swaroski.
I used a pair of 8x20 bino's when last in the Territory.
They are absolutely brilliant.
Same goes for their scopes,never seen a bad one..
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: bulldog563]
      #50427 - 21/02/06 05:46 AM

I have no personal experience with the LPS scopes, however, a friend of mine who manages a local gun store does. He feels that they don't quite come up to the quality of the top European Scopes when it comes to optics.

Clint
.224 member

Reged: 20/02/06
      #50449 - 21/02/06 01:28 PM

Unfortunately I have some experience with this, but also a solution.

The Leopold VariX-III 3.5-10 AO on my 300 Jarrett was mounted in the Leopold one piece base Kenny mounted in 1992. It had over 1200 rounds through it at the time. The first two animals were shot at 35 yards or less in bush, so I don't know when the problem cropped up. An impala at around 150 yards was facing left, and gut shot. The follow up shot nearly 30 min later was made at around 60 yards, and was well behind the shoulder. This was also well right of point of aim. Immediate return to camp confirmed it was hitting just over 8" right at 100 yards. Elevation was fine. I re zeroed, and finished the safari with a "sighting shot" each AM. It went to Premier Reticle when I returned and they confirmed the "erector" was bad. Replacement was free (they're Leupold warranty approved), and it's been fine since.

The 300 Jarrett's not a 505 Gibbs, but it is a very "sharp" recoiling rifle, and abusive to scopes. Premier Recticle said the Erectors in the VariX-III scopes is very good, but should be replaced occasionally. It shouldn't be looked at as a flaw, just maintenance. The solution, send it to them a few months befor eany safari for a rebuild, and pack a spare. If you have Premier Reticle replace all your reticles with the EXACT same one (German 4A in my case), you'll never notice the variation when you use your spare or swap to a different rifle. kind of nice when you practice with a 270 but hunt with your 458 Lott.

Safe Hunting!
Clint

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: Clint]
      #51288 - 03/03/06 01:27 PM

I have had horrible luck with Leupold, breaking 5 (2 LPS)prior to going into the field.I must be getting all the lemons.

The best scope I have found on my 416 has been a BURRIS.Its still hanging in there after 70+ rounds.
A low power Zeiss just won't hold zero.

Anyone with a reliable scope after 50 rounds from a big bore over 375, please speak up!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: hoppdoc]
      #51295 - 03/03/06 03:04 PM

In reply to:

I have had horrible luck with Leupold, breaking 5 (2 LPS)prior to going into the field.I must be getting all the lemons.

Hoppdoc,
What is breaking on your Leupolds?

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: 4seventy]
      #51311 - 03/03/06 04:46 PM

I have found Leupold 2.5x compact to be the most reliable.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: 500grains]
      #51317 - 03/03/06 06:06 PM

To minimise problems with scopes on overseas trips I use to carry the scope as hand luggage. But in todays paranoid world of air travel I fear that carrying a rifle component as hand luggage may cause problems.
On the other hand I have heard that air pressure in the luggage compartment can damage scopes.
Up till know no problems with the Schmidt&Benders "touch wood".

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: 4seventy]
      #51326 - 03/03/06 08:58 PM

I have had several Leupold reticle failures as well as crosshair problems.
They just won't hold zero on thumper bolt guns.

The toughest seems to be their 1.75x6 and 2x8 as they are light and hardy.Still my 9 pound 416 killed the 1.75x6.

I now only use the Leupolds on "light" guns.

--------------------

jorge
.275 member

Reged: 13/07/05
Loc: Orange Park, Florida
      #51348 - 04/03/06 02:06 AM

I'll speak up. I've had low power variable Leupolds on 458s, 416 Rigby and 375s. All of them held up better (and still area). in turn, the easiest scope I found to break was a low power Burris. Ten shots from a 338's all it took. My current 416 Rigby has a Leupold 1.5X5X20 on it and I've fired at least 500 rounds with no problems. The 375 has a 1.75X6 and that one has close to one thousand. I got rid of the 458 long ago, but that 1X4 was one there for at least a couple of hundred rounds with no problems. I've owned them all and for durability, the low power Leupolds are my recommendation. jorge

MRobinson
.275 member

Reged: 29/01/06
Loc: New England
      #51351 - 04/03/06 02:38 AM

I have three Swaro 1.25-4x24mm variables, all with the No. 24 or "Battue" reticle and mounted on heavy rifles (two .416s and a .458 Lott).

Two of them have been fine so far, after hundreds of rounds, but the other one failed on me last year (I wrote about it in the "Rifle Failures in Africa" thread).

I still haven't sent it back for repairs, so I don't know what happened to it. But right out of the case on sight-in it was off and didn't respond to adjustments.

I also have a Leupold LPS 2.5-10x45mm variable, which is mounted on a .308 Win., and I like it very much. I also own another Swaro variable and several S&B variable power scopes and rate them the best along with the Swaros and the LPS.

As for that, I should say that I can easily tell the difference in quality between a great scope and a mediocre or bad one. But to my eyes the great ones are all equal.

What I mean is that the gradations in quality of image and brightness between the top end scopes, as for example a Swaro, an LPS and an S&B, are lost on my old eyes!

Which one of those is the best I will have to leave to the astronomers to decide!

I have also heard from many sources that the Zeiss scopes are not as robust as they should be, so I have never owned one.

--------------------
Mike

Clint
.224 member

Reged: 20/02/06
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: Clint]
      #51362 - 04/03/06 04:31 AM

Just noticed all the comments on the Leupold scopes and problems. Anything can fail, but if anyone is having multiple Leupold failures I would strongly suggest going to a new scope mount system. The general con census as noted here is that Leupold's are super reliable. One of their Warranty Facilities, Premier Reticle, simply suggests having any Leupold checked out before any "big trip" as a precautionary measure.
Again, it sounds like the mounting system is giving problems. I have also heard (big emphasis on heard) that mercury recoil reducers can generate stresses in reverse to those most scopes are designed to handle. This is much like high power air guns.
In any case, I stand behind my comments about Leupold in the VariX-III family as the best choice for the big boomers. Permier Reticle would surely by phone have comments on the newer lines, and their comments to me a few years back was the VariX-II line was even more durable in the Erector area.

Safe Hunting,
Clint

hoppdoc
.400 member

#51363 - 04/03/06 04:41 AM

My 1.75 x 5 Burris Safari with posilock seems to be holding up ok on the 416.

The comment on the mounting system makes great sense.With all the problems I have had I am going to start lapping the rings for a precise fit. Been using leupold rings.I gotta have more reliability on those thumpers!! Life and Death issues you know!

--------------------

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Scope problems in Africa [Re: EricD]
      #51375 - 04/03/06 06:16 AM

Erik

I think Conquest.
Last month in the CAR my cousin/partner broke the reticle of his Zeiss Conquest 1.5-6*42 on his 416Rigby CZ550. The left thread was ruptured and is dangling. It didnt keep him from hunting on with this scope. The guaranty will work and he'll have another new one.
But the thread broke after less than 80 shots with the 416.

I am mostly using Swaro, mainly on my 375HH, without any problems. The EAW mounts is helping a lot, allowing to switch scopes in a couple of seconds with full accuracy kept.
The other 375 (dumoulin) is rigged with EAW and Schmitt and Bender 1.5-6*42.
The 460 Weath is working fine with a Zeiss and claw mounts

Nothing wrong with Burris or Leupold but not the rage here in France.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7022

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com