Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Pros and cons

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Pros and cons
      #49236 - 05/02/06 06:47 PM

Please contribute to a discussion on the Pros and Cons of the various modern double rifle makers many of our members own or have owned.

What do you see as the pros and cons of each rifle that you have owned or actually used? Please detail which maker, model, calibre and how it was used.

Some of the more popular modern makers (on the forums at least):

• Merkel
  • Krieghoff
  • Heym
  • Chapuis
  • Searcy
  • Any English DRs
  • Any other makers.

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Pros and cons [Re: Ezine]
      #49255 - 06/02/06 02:14 AM

I'll talk about the ones I've handled or shot or owned.

Chapuis: As most people know I've a little 9.3 that I've owened, hunted with and shot for over 5 or so years. I've also handled a fair ammount of them and visited their factory back in 2001. I also have friends in Europe who use them every weekend for boar hunting

Pro: nice looking rifles (except that blasted beavertail on the big bores...), nice handling, and a good price (especialy if you buy in Europe). Normally they are well regulated. The double underlug design is also supposed to be very strong and durable, but I am not an expert so I can not say for sure. Also they are almost fully customizable when you order a new one: stock measurements, stock styles, barrel length, sights, engraving, etc. Also you can make requests for the factory load you want the rifle regulated for.

Con: Customer service could really be improved on. Also like many of the "factory" doubles (like Aya, etc), they can have quality control issues especially on finishing details. My top lever catch was not finished correctly on my new rifle. But hey, when I bought mine they were only selling for about $3,000 brand new so what can you expect...

Merkel: Handled many of them, and shot a 9.3 and 500NE. Also I have several friends who use them every weekend for boar hunting.
Pro: good solid rifle for the money. The ones I've shot were all well regulated (a 9.3 and a 500NE). They look to be solidly built, and the ones I've seen are very tight when new which seems to be a good sign of being solid (at least to my limited eyes).

Con: Their importer here in the US, GSI sucks and rips people off on the prices they charge. Like all Merkels they have a certain "Teutonic style" that some of the Anglo-philes don't like. You can not customized much with a factory order (at least that's my understanding). Also though I've never personally seen a Merkel double rifle with the quality control issues that I've mentioned about Chapuis, I have seen some Merkel shotguns with quality control issues: bad wood to metal finish, creepy triggers, etc. Not a big deal, but I think standard with the "factory produced" doubles whether shotguns or rifles. Also I've heard many people complain about the factory sights and the buttplate, but thats just what I've heard second hand.

Heym: (only handled several of them)
Pro: They appear to be a higher quality rifle than either Chapuis or Merkel. I've also heard a few gunsmith friends of mine say that they are much better regulated than them either, but I've no proof of that.

Con: Style wise there is something even more "Teutonic" about them than Merkel. Many people say they are ugly, but I don't quite agree with that. Also they are significantly more expensive than the others (I've seen them for twice the price).

I like both Merkel and Chapuis and once they've been looked over by a good smith I think they make great utility double rifles.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
Re: Pros and cons [Re: Ezine]
      #49435 - 08/02/06 12:02 AM

Prior to the purchase of my Krieghoff, I really didn't handle many double rifles. When I was ready to buy one, I felt I had an advantage having Krieghoff International within a 2 hour ride from my home. Though you can't purchase from them I was able to handle a few rifles in all different classes and calibres.
Their knowledge, expertise and customer service impressed me. Having the factory 2 hours away should be a real plus. We spoke about converting their double to a lefty. I was told no problem.
Having never handle a double before I didn't think the cocker decocker was or is any sort of problem. I should be able to get used to it rather easily.
I found a used double with three sets of barrels 470, 9.3x74R and 7x65R. I brought it with me to Krieghoff for inspection. I was told it was in perfect shape. Who better to tell you that on a used rifle. I left it there to be restocked lefty.
Having shot more than a few boxes of ammo threw each set of barrels, I found it accurate, easy to operate and ready to go to Africa.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Pros and cons [Re: foxfire]
      #49436 - 08/02/06 12:16 AM

Foxfire,

With the barrels you have, you are ready to hunt any game anywhere. Have you thought about adding a set of shotgun barrels?

JPK

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
Re: Pros and cons [Re: JPK]
      #49439 - 08/02/06 12:45 AM

JPK,
I really did think about adding them on. But they are expensive at about $5,000.00, they only come in 20 gauge and I thought it to be more of a cool novelty then a necessity.

I might still buy them later on down the road.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

ChopperGuy
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/04
Loc: Northern Minnesota
Re: Pros and cons [Re: foxfire]
      #49446 - 08/02/06 01:30 AM

Foxfire:

I am also left handed and I've owned my 2 Krieghoff Classics for a while now and used them in NA and Africa. I love the way they shoot and the long range accuracy is more than I ever really hoped for.

I have the Big Five in 500/416 and 9.3x74R and a standard classic in .30-06.

I purchased the 500/414 used from a gent that had already taken it to Mozambique for a Cape buff hunt. I even have a professional video of this rifle taking his buff, a hippo, wart hog and bush pig. I have not used these barrels hunting yet, but will in September on buff at a spot very near where the rifle has already hunted in the same country. I sent it to Krieghoff and had the 9.3 barrels added last summer.

I used the 9.3 barrels deer hunting this year here in MN. Took 4 whitetails with 3 shots. Great fun and very acurate. I have these barrels scoped with a Kahles 1.1-4 30mm scope.

My .30-06 Classic went to Africa last summer on a PG hunt and was a joy to shoot. It then wore the Kahles that is now on my 9.3 barrels and accounted for several head of game up to a laser verified 210 meters. I've switched this one to a 1.5-6 Kahles 30mm to give me a better look at longer ranges since I know the rifle is capable of shooting there.

I can recommend that you practice with your rifle...a lot. I've been shooting single shot rifles, Blaser rifles,and double shotguns most of my life so the safety has never been an issue to me and is very natural.

Great combo you have, enjoy it, And as like stated above you are ready to go any where for most any hunt.

I wish Krieghoff made a smaller caliber, say 6.5x57R, for the Classic. I'd love a smaller caliber on my '06 rifle. The 7mm is just too close to the '06 for my liking.

--------------------
"If you are in trouble, an airplane can fly over and throw you flowers, while a helicopter can land and save your life" Igor Sikorsky 1947

Edited by ChopperGuy (08/02/06 01:31 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1829

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com