Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: Maineguide]
      #41743 - 17/11/05 03:00 AM

In reply to:

Clark stated he watched a scene where Sullivan waxed on for ten minutes before dispatching a buffalo. In fact it was 84 seconds.

I did? Where?

Even 84 seconds is WAY too long to maliciously allow an animal to suffer when you have the means to end it sooner.

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Safarischorsch
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/04
Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: clark7781]
      #41763 - 17/11/05 08:03 AM

The film you are talking about is "Death by the ton" his newest film isn`it?

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #41771 - 17/11/05 09:09 AM

mainguide,

How the Hell do you know that he follows up immediately and kills the animal quickly?? All you see is EDITED FOOTAGE THAT MAY TAKE LONG MINUTES OR HOURS TO SET UP! The guy is making the quary suffer so he can make big bucks... IT IS BULLSHIT! Even a few minutes of the animal's suffering is unethical. This mindset is stacking PETA's ammo for them.

Between the whoopin & hollerin good ole boyz shows now on cabel TV and the Sullivan'esque type videos, we hunters are being made fool of by the Antis...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Maineguide
.275 member

Reged: 09/03/05
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: clark7781]
      #41780 - 17/11/05 10:35 AM

Clark,

I got you confused with Dugaboy, sorry. By the way are you going to SCI this year.

Maineguide

clark7781
.375 member

#41783 - 17/11/05 11:28 AM

Maineguide:

I was going to go to SCI, but decided that DSC would be a better choice - this way I'll be able to see some friends that I hunted with (DRSS) this past April in Crowell.

Are you going to Dallas?

If you are, let's try to meet up.

--------------------
Clark

.500 NE and .577 NE

rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
      #41792 - 17/11/05 12:05 PM

Mark Sullivan is not by any means immediately following wounded animals unless by some miracle he has the only professional motion picture crew on earth that doesn't have to spend 20 minutes repositioning the cameras.

Richard.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: rgp]
      #41806 - 17/11/05 12:51 PM

Random Thoughts:

Many bow hunters wait 30 minutes to an hour before following up a shot animal. Even on some TV shows a bow shot near dark may result in no follow up until the next morning. No one seems to have any grief with that.
How long does it take a single shot muzzle loader to reload? No one ever talks about that.

I had my Zim Safari filmed by a professional videographer.
He carried the camera on his shoulder, there was never a wait for any repositioning of the camera.

rgp
.333 member

Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: NE450No2]
      #41807 - 17/11/05 01:11 PM

NE450No2,

Shoulder mount cameras can be used and I am certain at least one person present during the filming of Sullivan's hunts used one, but the image quality in some of the Sullivan videos appears to be much better than is normally seen with a shoulder mounted camera.

Unfortunately I tend to have complaints with the way a lot of outdoor shows are filmed.

Richard.

PS...are you the gentleman in Texas who does big bore rifle training for zoos to deal with escaped animals?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #41811 - 17/11/05 02:07 PM

In reply to:

Shoulder mount cameras can be used and I am certain at least one person present during the filming of Sullivan's hunts used one, but the image quality in some of the Sullivan videos appears to be much better than is normally seen with a shoulder mounted camera.

Why don't we ask someone who has hunted with Mark Sullivan?

I will.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

rgp
.333 member

Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: NitroX]
      #41812 - 17/11/05 02:36 PM

NitroX,

Good idea...where does one find one of his clients, particularly one who has been in one of these films?

Richard

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #41816 - 17/11/05 03:08 PM

Allen Day who posts on accuratereloading.com has hunted with M.S. and considers him a friend.

In person, Mark does not come off with the brash, big-mouth demeanor that you see in the films. He is quite a nice fellow to talk to, and he obviously loves hunting. Personally I would not want to go on a hunt where the PH did so much of the shooting, but that is only a personal preference.

rgp
.333 member

Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: 500grains]
      #41818 - 17/11/05 04:14 PM

500grains,

I remember seeing posts by Allen Day indicating he hunted with MS, and while he indicates that MS is a professional and completely different from what the films indicate, my only complaint with MS is that he tries to portray an image via the films which I think is rather inappropriate.

I've also seen some information written a long time ago by Ed Matunas in one of his books, I think the title was "Big Game Rifles and Cartridges", and I think Matunas also described Sullivan as a consummate professional and completely different than what is shown in the films currently being marketed.

Richard

NE450No2
.375 member

#41820 - 17/11/05 04:21 PM

rgp
Yes, I currently train one Zoo's weapons team, as well as people from my agency. We are all part of a combined team that responds to Dangerous Animal escapes.

rgp
.333 member

#41823 - 17/11/05 04:38 PM

NE450No2,

PM sent.

Richard

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: 500grains]
      #41825 - 17/11/05 05:09 PM

Yes I did intend to ask that gentleman privately for his comments specifically on the videoing operation. Privately so if he didn't want to comment it would be up to him or not.

Personally I believe it is just one cameraman most of the time accompanying the client and PH. I do not see HOW you could do an action hunting video with a complicated and time consuming setup.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NE450No2
.375 member

#41874 - 18/11/05 01:11 PM

rgp
PM sent

NE450No2
.375 member

#41875 - 18/11/05 01:19 PM

I have spoken to Mark Sullivan in person a couple of times.
I commented on the camera work of his videos.
At that time he told me he had never been able to get the same camera man to do more than one video. He has released a couple of films since then, so that may have changed.
I found him to be very friendly. He is intense, when I talked to him about hunting I could tell he really LOVES doing it. He does it for far more than the money, or so it seemed to me.

velodog
.224 member

Reged: 16/10/05
Loc: Australia
      #41880 - 18/11/05 03:55 PM

I have only seen one of his videos ,the one with the buffalo charge ,at short range.He wasnt as bad as i thought he would be ,from what everyone said about him.I would much rather listen to him than the Crocodile wanker ,i mean crocodile hunter Steve Irwin ,who is unbearable to listen to ,and watch . uggggghhhh

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: velodog]
      #42054 - 21/11/05 01:07 PM

In reply to:

I would much rather listen to him than the Crocodile wanker ,i mean crocodile hunter Steve Irwin ,who is unbearable to listen to ,and watch . uggggghhhh

How true!

And Steve "the jerk" Uwin claims to be an "Australian Professional Hunter" even though he is a complete greenie piece of snot.

His latest clown act as his other films must be getting "dry" and boring is to swim with sharks with scuba gear. Believe it or not he still wears his "greens" ie those aweful King Gee or Hard Yakka work clothes (whichever one sponsors him?) with his scuba gear underwater .

--------------------
John aka NitroX

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #42809 - 02/12/05 08:50 PM

Can't find "Dangerous Game and Double Rifles" on outdoorvisions.com . Any Idea where I could find a copy?

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

470NEBD
.275 member

Reged: 17/11/05
Loc: ks usa
Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: bulldog563]
      #42824 - 03/12/05 12:35 AM

I was watching "death at my feet" and I seen a guy shooting a Cape with 500 jefferies? I believe the client was hitting him every time at least 2-3 time very good shots with a total of 5 shots fired at this animal. I have never hunted cape buffalo but they must be some tough animals. There is one thing that I noticed that the ones hunting with DR dont kill them right there, but the one's with scoped rifles the critter is dead right there. I am not expert but shot placement is a must, and to shoot a iron sighted rifle is difficult. I dont understand why MS shoots the animal at the end does the client have to pay for the hunt if the PH kills the trophy?.

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: 470NEBD]
      #42892 - 03/12/05 12:11 PM

What do you mean, "There is one thing that I noticed that the ones hunting with DR dont kill them right there, but the one's with scoped rifles the critter is dead right there." I haven't seen this at all. MS uses a DR and I would say the animal is dead, "right there"

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Reged: 24/11/05
Loc: Washington, USA
      #42935 - 04/12/05 03:38 AM

We are ALL sick of Steve "the idiot" Irwin. Did you see the stupid stunt were he went into the croc pen with his baby? What an ass.

Now this MS thing is getting long, all I can say is, if this man wants to test his chismo', hunt with a double BP 8 or 4 bore muzzleloader like the old timer chaps did. Since you have to drop the beast with two shots, you have to place them correctly, and humanly; in a true sportsmen like manner. Secondly, these are frightfull guns to shoot, the recoil is in no other words, painful. IMHO, it takes not a great act of courage to stand behind a .500 or .600 nitro-express (or like round), and plaster wounded buff until dead. The killing power of that weapon along with its ability to be quickly reloaded, just doesn't seem to be the effect MS is pontificatingly seeking. Would he be so brave with one of these guns? Those fine english and dutch gentelmen who explored and hunted Africa and India in the 19th and early 20th century would, I believe, agree with me.
Some would claim it foolish, but the same has been and will be said for all of the dangerous activities that man test himself against such as mountain climbing, cave diving, flying, motorcycle racing etc.. So I put it to MS, film your self hunting these great beast the old fashion way, on equal terms with mbogo, and I'll buy one of your flicks. Otherwise I classify you as a metro sexual ass clown.

Nuff said'
Colorado

--------------------
You horde gold, I horde lead.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #43177 - 06/12/05 05:39 AM

In reply to:

Clark stated he watched a scene where Sullivan waxed on for ten minutes before dispatching a buffalo. In fact it was 84 seconds.

Mainguide, that was not Clark, it was me! The "10 minute" comment was a figure of speach, not an actual measurement! However, 84 seconds is too much, when you consider what he was doing with that laps of time! If MS walked right up to the downed animal, and provoked a charge, I would have no problem with that. The fact is when you can see the animal dragging it's self from 200 yds away, and he stops twice to talk to the camera about how wonderful he, and his concession is, for 84 seconds,on the way to the animal,and this is what you see on the edited film, who knows how many times he had to re-do a couple of those "LOOK AT ME" sequinces,that was edited out, while the viewer is watching the animal in the background shakeing, and dragging it's hind quarters, is unethical, and self-centered, and anyone who agrees with that action is just as self absorbed as MS is. I say go shoot the animal, then talk about how brave you are!

The talk MS gives about how well he treats animals by giveing them the choice of how thay die is simply BULL SHIT, no other way to say it. The animal has absolutley no say in how he is to die! No matter what the animal does, he is going to die with four or five guys hitting him with big bore rifles. It takes no BALLS to stand off a charge of a buffalo that is shot to pieces, already,and in the open, when you have several rifles backing you up. It seems to be only MS, because the camera only shows him.

In one sequince, in the film "SUDEN DEATH" a Buffalo that had already been hit three or four times with a client's 470NE, and MS's 450/400NE, was confronted at around 10 yds, barely being able to stand. MS moves around till the bull couldn't stand it any longer charged. The camera only shows MS as the shooter, but off camera, the client, who's buffalo this was, two other clients, and MS's son all shot the buffalo, from different angles. The Buff already hit 3 or 4 times,when the charge started, was hit durring the charge twice by MS, twice by the client,with his 470NE, twice by MS's son,with a 500/450NE, once by one of the other clients,with a 470NE, and twice by the other client with a 470NE. That is 13 hits in all, with 9 of them during the charge! I'd say MS is in more danger from the bullets flying than from any Buffalo!

This is a discussion that will never be settled. The thing is these films make money for MS, and that is a strong incentive, to do what ever it takes to make the film. In my view, simply because it makes for sinsational film footage, doesn't justify letting an animal suffer while you talk to the camera. 90% of all charges are because of one of two reasons, #1 is somebody screwed up, and #2 they were provoked for bragging rights. It is a free country, and you are not required to agree with me, and I see you do not, but I am not required to agree with you either, and I certainly do not agree with MS's sense of ethics! It is evident there are those who do agree with his chest beating, because there are many who buy his films, and book hunts with him. I can afford his films, and books, but I will not be buying any of them, I can't afford to hunt with him, and even if I could I wouldn't!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

clark7781
.375 member

Re: Mark Sullivan Film "Shot to Death" [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #43180 - 06/12/05 06:31 AM

In reply to:

Some quotes from the horse's mouth.

All are taken from Death and Double Rifles by Mark Sullivan, copyright 2000, Mark Sullivan Nitro Express Safaris:

"My cameraman and I had been very successful in getting great footage of everything except a buffalo charge. Needless to say, we knew what we needed and fully appreciated that without a great charge, the movie would not be completed ." (Emphasis added) p. 29.

Hmmmm...is it his safari or the client's?

"As luck would have it, the perfect situation occured. My client, Hector Gonzalez from Puerto Rico, could not have been more perfect for what was about to happen. Upon arriving [Hector] had expressed his desire to be involved in a charge and with that the events seemingly rolled into place." (Emphasis added) p. 29.

"Contray to popular belief and the myths spread by a lot of professional hunters and clients, buffalo seldom charge on their own. Rather, one must go after them and make it happen." p. 26.

How do you make it happen, Mark?

Buffalo charge on demand. I wonder if he serves up fries and a large Coke with each request?

Clark

--------------------
Clark

.500 NE and .577 NE

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16545

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com