Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New brand of doubles?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Northman
.275 member

Reged: 06/09/05
Loc: Troms, Norway, 72*North
New brand of doubles?
      #39910 - 28/10/05 09:35 AM

There is a new kind of double, that I cant find information about. Its called a Classic Express seen here: www.torsbohandels.com , look down on the page and you will see a link to a picture. Its in 9,3x74R and 8x57JRS. And they sell for 3000 and 2500 US $.

Now these have to be built on a shotgun action or what? From what I can see on the pictures, they have a single trigger, wich is not considerd ideal for a DR rifle, am I right?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Northman
.275 member

Re: New brand of doubles? [Re: Northman]
      #39911 - 28/10/05 09:52 AM

Here are pictures of it. IŽll try to get some information about it.

http://www.classicvapen.com/page.cfm?pageID=6008&TopID=5701&expand=5715&expandLvl3=6008&template=prod_overview

Northman
.275 member

#39912 - 28/10/05 09:55 AM

And another reply. They state on their site that all come with 2 triggers. Something wrong with the picture.

If you want me to ask them some questions, tell me, since Im a newbie on doubles.

Northman
.275 member

#39913 - 28/10/05 10:04 AM

And on one of the pictures, it says: Made by Sabatti.

So, speculations, and rumors..

And what should I ask them about?

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #39952 - 28/10/05 03:05 PM

Sabatti are an Italian company whose 12 bore SxS slug shotguns come up for sale every now and then in the USA. I am not sure who imports them here, though.

No idea about the quality etc though the Italians do build good guns and they should be good for their budget price. The company has a web page though it does not show any double rifles on it, only a break open single shot.

Best wishes and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: New brand of doubles? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #39980 - 28/10/05 11:50 PM

I'm not sure of their present quality but I've handled a few O/U rifles by Sabatti in Europe bakc in 1999-2000. Not a bad gun, but not fancy. Just a basic inexpensive O/U for driven boar and stag hunts. About the same level as the Zoli's I'd say (though this is just an impression and not based on field experience).

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Lovec
.224 member

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Europe
Re: New brand of doubles? [Re: Chasseur]
      #40262 - 01/11/05 03:01 AM

Hello,
I'm new here and would like to contrubute something about Sabatti double rifles.
Sabatti of Italy makes two general types of double rifles, over/unders (models 230 and 345) and side-by-sides (model 92). Only the o/u can be seen on their site (press o/u shotguns and then express). They are surprisingly inexpensive: in Europe the basic o/u can be bought for about $1800 and sxs for about $2500. They are available in many calibers up to 9.3x74R.
I bought one recently. Mine is their basic o/u DR, model 230, in caliber 8x57 IRS. I ordered double triggers and plain extractors but received a single trigger version instead... There is no proper ammo in local gun shops so I didn't take it to the shooting range yet. But I can give you some first imperessions. The gun seems to be very solidly built, has pleasing lines and in nicely finished. It handles very good, seems to be lighter than 3.3 kg, its actuall measured weight. It has bright sights (red fiber front, two green points back) and is ready for scope mounts. Single massive underlug. Receiver engraved and finished bright.
There are few things I do not like on this gun and they are mostly eastetic. I would prefer a blued or even better color case hardened receiver. Scroll engraving is nice, but I disslike a stag on each side of the receiver. Compared to my Merkel, wood to metal feet seems strange as the stock is above the line of receiver.
All in all it seems to be a good candidate for boar hunting which is why I ordered it in the first place. I've seen a lot of double rifles in all price ranges and IMHO this is a very good value at a very modest price ($1790). The real test is yet to come, but many Sabatti users here in Slovenia (mostly shotgun/rifle combos), some of them with 15 years of experince, seem to be well satisfied.

--------------------
Kind regards,
Lovec

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: New brand of doubles? [Re: Lovec]
      #40265 - 01/11/05 03:42 AM

LoveC

Welcome to Nitro Express.

I'm glad you posted on the Sabbatti as I am looking at the single shot break action they offer. I like your comment that it feels lighter than the actual weight. It says good things about balance.

What do you mean it has one big under lug? What other locking systems does it have?

Do you know anyone shooting the single shot?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Lovec
.224 member

Re: New brand of doubles? [Re: mickey]
      #40270 - 01/11/05 04:12 AM

Hello Mick,
and thanks for your welcome.
As far as I can see, the only lockup is a single underbite, or however it is properly called, meaning that a wide piece from behind goes into a pertinent square opening under the barrels; please forgive my poor tecnical expressions. This bolting seems good enough as the gun locks up tightly.
Unfortunately I do not know anyone shooting Sabatti's single shot rifle.

--------------------
Kind regards,
Lovec

davem3
.300 member

Reged: 10/02/04
Loc: birmingham,al usa
      #40275 - 01/11/05 05:17 AM

Their website ad on the single shot says "two lumps and double-locking system"

Lovec
.224 member

Re: New brand of doubles? [Re: davem3]
      #40279 - 01/11/05 06:02 AM

To avoid any missunderstanding, I was trying to explain the locking system on my Sabatti o/u double rifle, model 230, and not on the Sabatti single shot rifle.

--------------------
Kind regards,
Lovec

Northman
.275 member

#40561 - 04/11/05 07:07 AM

Hi. All the information I have recived from the swedish dealer is that its built on the sabatti s/s shotgun, but made a bit stronger to handle the load. Thats all I got..

Lovec
.224 member

#40776 - 06/11/05 04:46 AM

I finaly got a few 8x57 IRS rounds and took my brand new Sabatti o/u to the range. At 50 meters (standing) using RWS 198gr/12.8g TIG load the rifle is shooting to the point of aim. With a lighter RWS loading of 180gr/11.7g DK the hits were abour 4" high. The rifle handles nicely, no problems. Being a non-ejector, I just tipped the barrels slighly up and the fired cases cleared the chambers at once. It seems to be a good light DR; I like it.

--------------------
Kind regards,
Lovec

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 120 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14597

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com