Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream"
      #38396 - 29/09/05 03:50 AM

Top End 2005

I will be posting two stories:

"Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream";

and

"Belles & Boars"

Top End 2005 - Main Index

This is the start (Part I) of the first story, "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream". Each installment will be added progressively over the next few days. Then later the second story "Belles & Boars" will be posted for your reading and hopefully enjoyment.

A couple of notes:

1. Each post contains a fair number of photos. Users using slower dial-up connections (like me) might like to use a THREADED view so lesser photos load up with each page. I will be adding a THREADED menu to each post.

2. A number of our members are eagerly waiting to discuss (argue) about the merits or otherwise of using smaller medium sized calibres on buffalo. I would appreciate it if these discussions could be continued on the following thread

Is the 6.5x54 mm M-S adequate for buffalo ?

Hope you enjoy my hunt story. I certainly enjoyed this magic Top End hunt.

NitroX

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream"

Due to the number of photos these posts are best viewed threaded

Since hunting water buffalo in Arnhemland in the Top End of the Northern Territory of Australia in 2004 I wanted to go back. Water buffalo the biggest game of Australia and larger than Africa's Cape Buffalo represent an exciting challenge for hunting in Australia.

This year we would be hunting with Graham Williams of Australian Buffalo Hunters. His concession is located in central Arnhemland near the Northern headwaters of the Wilton and West Wilton Rivers. In this concession the game available includes water buffalo, scrub bulls and the feral Razorback boars of the Top End.

The countryside at the end of August is dry. Hilly low ranges of hills with valleys in between and often lovely streams of fresh water breaking up the harshness of the countryside. These streams also contain several species of fish as we were to find out, barramundi in some of the larger water holes and snooty grouper, or "black bream" as they are also known in pools in the streams. Johnsons or freshwater crocodiles also inhabit these streams but are relatively harmless unless one perhaps steps on them.

Orion and I booked a two by one hunt with Graham who was also guiding an American hunter and his wife the same week, Wal and Anne of the NE of the USA. Our guide was to be Paul, a fellow Westaustralian like Graham. In the seven days of hunting Orion and I were interested in taking at least a couple of buff trophies apiece, maybe an odd boar, and for myself I was also keen on a good scrub bull. Another bovine to add to my Aussie Bovine Grandslam, leaving banteng for a future trip.

At a reasonable pace it takes about four days to drive up from South Oz and we stopped at Cooper Pedy again the first night staying in the same underground hotel I stayed in last year. They remembered me!

Our Landcruiser. Orion's Landcruiser is a petrol 'troopie' but
with the second petrol tank replaced with a LPG (liquid
petroleum gas) tank. LPG probably halved our fuel costs to
about $1,200 for the drive up and back, compared to well
over $2,000 if our petrol or diesel was needed. A big saving
considering the currently very high fuel costs.

Then onto to Alice Springs. Orion had not been to Alice Springs for twenty years and it had changed considerably in the meantime. The first hotel on the main road in was no longer the first, maybe the eigth and the main road was different too. Next night we planned on camping off the road but in the last ten or more years the highway has been fenced off to keep cattle off the roads and lessen the enivatable road accidents with the rusted hulks which once littered the sides of the highway with regularity. We ended up staying in a pleasant roadside camp ground at Banka Banka which was cheap at $6 a head with of course facilities thrown in. Finally on the fourth night we arrived at Katherine necessitated by the need to purchase one or two item and ready to start the drive to the North East on the Central Arnhemland Highway.

Our camp at Mainarou Store in the middle of Arnhemland,
the day before the start of the seven day hunt. The camp
near Mainarou Store had a pleasant water hole for swimming.
Other than one other vehicle we had this simple camping area
to ourselves.

An easy drive the fifth day as it turned out with us meeting Graham and co the next day, the first hunting day when he dropped off his last clients at the airstrip and picked up Wal and Anne.

We were to arrange to meet Graham at the Aboriginal town of Bullman early that morning but actually came across them on the highway on the way to the airstrip. Damage to the Bullman airstrip necessitated a change to the Mount Catt airstrip, a longer drive for them. Graham's successful client was a gunmaker from the USA and he toted a hefty .505 Gibbs. Better him than me.

We proceeded onto Bullman, but consulting our maps worked out the main road to the hunting concession was closer so waited for them at the turn-off instead. A good time for a cold drink though looking at maps proved difficult as everyone stopped to ask us if we needed help. I put the maps away.

A bit later with Anne and Wal within we made greetings and we were off to the hunting country. Always an exciting prospect, seeing new country, what it holds, what prospects are promised for the next seven days of hunting.

A view of the hunting country. At this point the road
descends down an escarpment into the valley below. Our
concession was in the hills in the distance.

Photographer: Orion

Along the way some buffalo were sighted. Wal's first sighting of these big bovines. A promise of good things to come.

Our plan for the day was to arrive at camp. Have lunch, then check the zero of the rifles. As I planned on using my iron sighted double I decided to forgo this pleasure prefering hair, hide bone and muscle as targets. My rifle was again my W.J. Jeffrey in .450 No.2 Nitro Express. Loaded with 480 gr Woodleigh Weldcore Round Nose Softpoints. I didn't think the cartridge would be inadequate as long as the bullets were put in the right place.

Orion intended to blood his "new" vintage 6.5x54 mm Mannlicher Schoenauer on this hunt. Numerous species of deer, hare and other species already been taken with it. 140 gr Barnes X were the chosen pills along with some 160 gr pojectiles. Careful and deliberate shooting would be required.

More buffalo were spotted from the road.

THE PEOPLE

NitroX, attempting to look purposeful

Orion with his 'new' favourite rifle

Wal and Anne, Graham's American clients

Graham and Helen Williams. Helen was joining Graham for a
couple of weeks while on annual leave.
Graham is holding my double. I had to prise it off him.

Paul, our guide, with a suitable PH steely look.
Paul is holding one of the PH's standard rifles, a .CZ 416 Rigby.

Return to the Story Index

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

Edited by NitroX (06/11/05 01:13 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt II [Re: Ezine]
      #38398 - 29/09/05 03:54 AM

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" - Part II

Due to the large number of photos this thread is best viewed threaded

INDEX

Having lunched and sighted in our rifles, a short hunt was called for that evening. Graham, Anne and Wal were off in another direction while Orion, Paul and I were to do a short drive along a water course to the South.

Our first buffalo was quickly sighted. Orion was keen, but Paul informed us we would see many more to choose from. This buffalo was sighted again and again. A nice "camp buffalo" maybe for a bow hunter or someone desparate on the last day of their hunt .

Off he goes.

Continuing our drive that evening we spotted eagles and crows on a river bank. The previous client the week before had shot his trophy buffalo at that sight and now the carcase was a feast for the carrion eaters of the air.

The drive was a short one. We spotted a few buffalo in the distance at times but nothing worth stalking. Our plan that evening was just to have a look but if something worthwhile was seen to get out, approach, stalk up to the beast and then decide.

With the shadows growing we returned to camp.

An early start and a long walk the next morning. While Wal, Anne and Graham again drove off to the South, we headed on foot to the North to head towards the Wilton River valley. Being a 2x1 hunt it was Orion's day to take the first bull if an opportunity arose.

Crossing various rocky knoles and grassy ridges we came across a nice buff bull but he was aware and kept a good distance, well over two hundred metres. Too far for the 6.5mm and also too far for me to be confident with my open sighted double. I loved the sight of the bull as he huge rear end galloped up the ridge to cross a saddle in the range of hills. These beasts are large and have a presensce in the bush.

The morning was turning hot so we broke for a rest near a buffalo 'pad' on top of a ridge. A large circular spot where the brass was pressed down or rubbed down to the sand. A spot for a buff bull to lie down during the heat of the day, catch some of the breezes and watch three-quarters of any approach to him. We came to this spot from the other one-quarter .

The buffalo's view from his 'pad' on top of the hill. He would
easily be able to spot any approach from anywhere except
from directly behind.

Later down into the Wilton Valley we made our way to the river. The river had a decent flow of fresh clear water. There were obviously signs of game drinking at the springs that fed the main river. While sitting and watching the river, Paul gave us a titbit of information that Orion would later much enjoy. Paul informed us that wherever a log or rock 'damned' up the stream a little with a deeper pool beyond, a snooty grouper or "black bream' fish would likely be in residence.

A couple of dingoes were sighted. They quickly made
tracks for safer territory. They are however protected in the
Northern Territory but may be shot in South Australia,
Western Australia etc.

We continued our 'march' along the banks of the Wilton and later crossed back across the rocky ranges to camp.

This non-trophy buffalo bull was sighted near to the camp
on the return march. We stalked it for filming purposes. Later
it ran to the right to join a sizable herd of cows and calves.

A welcome lunch was waiting for us of cold meats, salad, bread and cheeses. A cold 'shandy' quenched my thirst.

Graham and Wal having arrived a couple hours earlier left soon after we began our meal.

Orion and I discussed the hunting so far and we both had doubts on whether on chosen firearms and calibres were going to do the job. So far almost all the buffalo had proven very skittish and only long range shots could have been taken. My .450 double only had open sights and I am not keen to shoot over a hundred yards with it so far. My .375 H&H bolt with scope however I felt was better for such situations. Orion's little 6.5mm was also considered for replacement by a 7mm STW with suitable projectiles for that fast cartridge.

Paul however assured us we would get opportunites suitable for what we were looking for, so we decided to heed his advice and continue as is.

After a break for lunch and the heat of the mid-day we again headed off to the South.

Our first success! At the same spot we had earlier sighted the crows and eagles, eagle-eyed Orion spotted a boar in the shadows. Off they went with me following a little behind. Using natural cover and the many trees they reached a depression in the ground on the near side of the creek, allowing a shot of about 50 metres. One boar for the 6.5mm.

This photo was taken later just before sunset. Orion and his
first boar to the 6.5 mm.

No time for photographs according to Paul and Orion, they wanted buff so off we went. We could return on the way home to take a trophy plus photos.

Further along the creek it widened into some sandy 'beaches' with the water running under undercut ridges. A good number of buffalo were in residence. Forty or fifty, who knows how many exactly. A very careful approach. The buffalo were unaware of our prescence but were restless and moving around. I stayed back so not to spook them and used the video camera when I could. Little rocky hillets provided cover and opportunity to scan the herd below. The buffalo gradually moved off to the North along the river. Paul informed me on returning that there were no trophy bulls, it was a herd of cows and calves and immature bulls.

We returned to the hunting car, a cut down old full sized Landcruiser "troopie", returned to Orion's boar for photos and back to camp to find Wal had succeeded on a very nice buffalo bull. Congratulating him on his buffalo, the first kill of the week.

Orion and Paul returning to the hunting car.

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

Edited by NitroX (06/11/05 01:08 AM)

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt III [Re: Ezine]
      #38399 - 29/09/05 03:55 AM

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" - Part III

INDEX

DAY 3

Awakening soon after dawn we all set to a good breakfast and discussed the plan for the day.

Wal had taken a buffalo bull. Graham asked me if I wanted him to guide me today . Wal was interested in a scrub bull if an opportunity arose but probably not a second buffalo. Plus a pig if one was seen. The idea was if we saw a trophy buff I was to hunt it, if a scrub bull, it was Wal's opportunity. This would allow higher chances for Orion and I both to score. I checked with Wal and he had agreed to this so it was a go.

Orion was to continue with Paul, and Helen wanted to go for a drive as well, rather than sit in camp. So we would be two parties of four and three.

Paul's party set out with us following soon after. The herds to South were to get a good look over. Paul to search the countryside closer to camp and us to head further out. We passed the "green monster" hunting car on the way out. Paul, Helen and Orion were already in the bush looking for buffalo.

It is fun not to have to rush things. We sighted a number of buffalo bulls along the way, and as I also wanted some video footage some fake stalks were called for. Being a "ham" is easu to do when you know it is not a real stalk, much better to film the real thing. However no matter what it is fun! During one of these stalks with a buffalo bull only 40 metres in front I realised my rifle wasn't actually loaded. I decided it might just be a good idea to put some shells in the chambers. Just in case!

We stalked this buff bull in the high grass. He was not far from the road and not a shooter.

He was aware of us but uncertain of what we were and approached us for a closer look.

He kept an close eye on us the whole time. A approach using trees and cover allowed us to approach to within 50 metres. In the end he decided retreat was the option and turned tail.

Having a fun morning, sighting a number of buffalo, we returned for camp for a midday lunch.

What do we again find?! Orion has taken a nice buffalo bull. I will leave that story for Orion in Part IV and when Orion's photos are uploaded.

Lunch was to be a mini-celebration.

Off in the afternoon. My turn was to be next.

Driving further out than the previous time a bull or two were spotted in the savannah glades. Careful glassing of them with binoculars to ascertain their trophy worthiness. We continued on.

A bull spotted! A good one. Well away from the track maybe 600 metres, we loaded up and off we went. Graham in front, myself following with my .450, Anne agreed to be video camera woman with Wal behind.

The buff bull was awake but had not spotted us. Even though the countryside appears quite open, the occasional termite mount, the many trees, the depressions and high grass provide good cover. Using tree trunks to cover our approach we managed to make 200 metres from the bull and stopped to glass him again. Graham assured me he was a good bull and he looked fine to me. I would take him given the opportunity.

Again we stalked towards the bull being careful to use each tree slowly, in single file so only one person's front could be exposed to the bull at any one time. Sometimes a careful slow sideways manouvre was required to align another tree trunk to provide cover. The bull had his head up but was drowsing in the afternoon heat.

Cutting the distance to about 100 metres Graham got Anne to come up to us. She was to stay behind the cover of this tree and film from here. He and I would continue closer. Wal was about 30 metres behind waiting.

Two more tree trunks would provide potential cover.

We made it to the first. I approached the second alone. Now I was about 60 metres from the bull. Just as I reached the trunk the bull lept to his feet. We had been spotted.The bull was facing towards us but at a slight angle. Perfect!

I past the side of the tree bringing the double rifle to my shoulder and as soon as the sights aligned on the shoulder of the bull I fired. The 480 gr Woodleigh Weldcore smacked into the bull's shoulder and continued on to break its spine. He was down but not out. I reloaded and moved forward and fired another round raking the bull's lungs behind the shoulder. This second round had no seeming affect and the bull continued to try to rise using its front legs but had no use of most of its body due to the spinal damage. Graham also fired at this point as he explained later due to the video running. However his shot also had very little effect and after a few moments the bull lay down and eventually died. It did not bother me Graham shooting as that bull was not going anywhere.

A few fast and furious seconds.

Anne had caught most of the action on film up to the shot when she went all wobbly from excitement. The big bangs and the excitement causing the camera to move around a bit. I think she was more excited than us others.

Intrepid camera woman Anne posing with the buff bull

The team. Graham, myself, Anne and Wal

This perfectly performing Woodleigh 480 gr Weldcore was
recovered just under the skin on the far side of the chest.

Graham and I posing with the bull.

I am embarrassed to admit that I had another double discharge on this bull. I had not had one even though I extensively tested for one since the last buffalo hunt. However this time I felt my finger slap the second trigger on recoil. From this point on I now shoot the rear trigger first and this has proved more successful.

All of us were taking only skull and horns as trophies so far on this trip so dealing with the trophy was relatively quick at this point. We had good hunting time so would return later to recover the head, the cape not being important.

A short time later we sighted another buff bull. A good bull but not better than either we had taken. Wal and Graham mocked stalked the bull while I followed close behind with the video. Wal fired a shot from his .416 Rigby over the bull's back and a second as it fled. I believe it will be some great footage, but I teased Wal, it will show him missing twice! It is much easier to take some film when exposing oneself to the bull to film it and following behind the hunters does not jeopardise a legitimate stalk.

Driving further along the track we came another stream which crossed the road. This stream was to be our route for several kilometres on foot, then crossing over cross country to another tributary of the same stream to arrive back at the vehicle.

The walk was pleasant coming across a number of buffalo along the way. Myself I was interested in a second larger buffalo and Wal too might be persuaded if the buff was very large. Scrub bull of course remained on his agenda.

Along the stream we came across a herd cooling off in the stream. Our sudden appearance causing them much panic thundering off into the distance. On the far side of the stream a bull watched us.

Cutting across country we arrived at the other tributary stream and headed back towards the car.

Some typical countryside of the area. As can be seen even
though the terrain is fairly flat and open the numerous trees,
occaisional termite mound and grass allows a close
approach to an unaware buffalo.

The convulence of the streams. Insignificant during the dry
season, but a major obstacle during the wet.

Back to the vehicle, a drink and off back to the downed buffalo to recover its head. Off with the head, a stop to clear a fallen tree from the track and doubling as a collection of firewood we made our way on the many kilometres to return to camp. A successful day. We all now had our first buffalo.

Some scrub cattle were sighted off the road side, some crossing the road in front of us but running away. We stopped to get some video footage. No big bulls here. Back into the car, off around the corner and WHOA .....

..... a big scrub bull rushes across the road only twenty metres in front of us. The herd bull and he was a good trophy. Graham informs him the bull is very good. Wal is unsure whether to take him. He is an old school hunter and wants a good hunt. This seems to be a little too easy. He asks "Should I take him?" to me and us in general. I reply "Hell, I would!" and the decision is made. Sometimes you just have to take an easy hunt. They make up for the difficult ones and the unsuccessful ones. Wal is out the door. Graham asks me if he can use the double and on my reply off he goes as well.

The bull is not too far away, Wal takes a offhand shot in the gloom of dusk, hits the bull but the bull isn't going down. Off the bull goes running. Some more difficult shots from both Wal and Graham on the running bull. Finally Wal uses the .450 DR to finish off the scrub bull. He remembers my mistake and uses the rear trigger .

I videoed the encounter from near the vehicle and returned to the vehicle to drive the Landcruiser as close to the bull as possible along the track. The bull had managed to run several hundred metres before expiring.

Graham and Wal with the excellent scrub bull

It is a fine bull. Good strong thick horns. A cape with character markings. A red bull.

The Red Gods of the Hunt have smiled on us this day. A water buffalo for Orion and myself and a Red scrub bull for Wal.

Another head loaded onto the roof rack with the buff and wood and we return to camp.

A fine meal to celebrate. We break open some good red wine, a bottle of Jamiesons Irsh Whiskey and I find a box of Cubans in my luggage. Those of us who smoke celebrate a Waidmannsheil and an attempt to get into "Cigar Aficianado" magazine. Pity it is night.

Orion, Paul and John (Nitro)

Orion

Paul

John (Nitro)
PS I am actually very happy. I don't like cameras!

SOMETIMES THE RED GODS SMILE UPON US

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

Edited by NitroX (30/09/05 06:48 PM)

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt IV [Re: Ezine]
      #38400 - 29/09/05 03:56 AM

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Part IV

Soon to be added.

PART IV Orion's First Buffalo

Some photos loaded up for your viewing pleasure.

Orion's first boar, the only boar for the week shot. The hunt is described in Part II.

This boar was spotted by keen eyed Orion near the location of an earlier buffalo kill, shot by the previous client. A quick stalk making use of available depressions, trees and a small dry billabong allowed the range to be shortened. The first kill for the hunt. A nice Arnhemland boar.

Off it flees into the bush. A scrub bull.

A small buffalo herd is sighted. A trophy bull was sighted in a small herd just like this one (perhaps it is the one?). The hunters approach to try for a shot at a large bull with excellent horns.

Success! Orion's first buffalo of the trip. He kisses his Mannlicher-Schoenauer as this bull is the rifle's first buffalo.

A shot was taken at the bull, the bull broadside. A fine shot made with the Mannlicher-Schoenauer into the chest / heart / lung area but the bull turned and fled. Paul, the guide urged follow-up shots, two shots to the rump/arse of the bull being made but having absolutely no affect. These little calibres are not designed for bone and muscle crunching work. However as expected the bull stopped, spun around a few times, laid done and eventually died. The first bullet doing its work.

The buffalo is given its last meal

Orion and Helen Williams. Helen videoed some of the hunt.

Carrying the head back to the vehicle.

Celebratory dinner with wine and drinks.

Cigars and Irish Whiskey to finish off the day.

Examining the fine trophy the next morning.

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

Edited by NitroX (06/11/05 01:59 AM)

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt V [Re: Ezine]
      #38401 - 29/09/05 03:57 AM

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Part V

Soon to be added. Some photos added and some initial comments.

The attack plan is discussed the next morning over breakfast.

Kicking the dirt.

Walking a creek line for pigs. Orion scans the other side of the stream.

Paul crossing a log bridge. I am not worried about Paul getting wet, but he is carrying my video camera! Later I cross the same bridge with rifle and another digital camera. It is on video and not a pretty sight.

Orion and barramundi.

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

Edited by NitroX (06/11/05 01:19 AM)

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt VI [Re: Ezine]
      #38402 - 29/09/05 03:58 AM

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Part VI

Soon to be added.

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt VII [Re: Ezine]
      #38403 - 29/09/05 03:58 AM

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Part VII

Soon to be added. Some photos and initial comments added.

Orion worked out a good scheme for hunting this buffalo country. Instead of walking untold kilometres of dry rocky country in the heat, he asked that they go no farther than a couple kilometres from the vehicle. Also fishing the small rapid streams became a passion after an initial walk and as the day started to heat up.

Paul did a good job. He listened to his client, Orion.
One of the pleasant streams that provide life to this dry (in the "Dry" season) country.

While the boys dipped their feet into the cool water .....

.... Helen went off to saw firewood, saw in hand. No seriously she carried the saw for sawing buffalo skulls if shot.

A passion for fishing develops.

One of many.

Caught simply. A hand line. A large hook. And a piece of meat.

The trick was to find a small deep pool with running water cascading into it, over a rock or a log. The "black bream" or snooty grouper would be sitting under the lee of the cascading water in the shadows.

The smile says it all.

Cooked very simply. Wrapped in paperbark from the trees, some salt and pepper. Put onto hot coals.

Tending the fire.

Enjoying morning tea or lunch.

Back to business.

Out searching for another big bull buffalo.

A trophy buffalo. Alone and within range of the 6.5x54 mm M-S.

Buffalo bull number 2 is added to the game bag. Orion and Paul the Guide.

Again Helen was on hand with the video camera. Camoflaged Helen was dubbed "Dianna" as she was often the first to spot the buffalos in the bush.

The buffalo bull was shot with a single bullet angled forward into the heart and lungs. On the shot it hardly gave the appearance of being hit, not even much of a flinch. The little 140 gr Barnes X not having much of a wallop, seemingly only a pin prick. Even though Orion was urged to shoot again, this time he held off and allowed the bull's lungs to fill with blood. The bull dying some minutes later. Even though a much larger calibre has a more immediate effect on the animal, perhaps dropping it convinchingly, they still ALL take some time to die. The key is an adequate penetrating bullet and correct placement. And some luck of course.

A small cartridge for a very large animal.

EDITORS NOTE - I WILL FIX THIS PHOTO!

Orion following the Germanic traditions of the hunt, places a twig or branch in the bulls mouth as a "last meal". A sign of respect for the animal. A sprig is also placed in the hunters headband, signifying to the world, the jager has been successful. Here a hidden Paul holds a major "sprig" (tree) in the Jager's headband.

This buffalo is part of a test to see just how close they can be approached.

Here the bull is only scant metres away. The two hunters are in a river bed, the bank immediately in front. The bull is only metres away in another depression.

It approaches and comes closer.

Here was a time Orion felt "too" close. The 6.5x54 mm M-S will kill a buffalo but is NOT a rifle and cartridge for a charging bull or a bull which is aware of the location of the hunters and becomes aggressive when shot (comments the opinion of the writer - NitroX).

ANOTHER PHOTO TO BE FIXED

A couple rest stops during the day.

Water is sourced directly from a fresh spring for drinking water in camp. Sourced close to the spring it is free of animal waste and caused no one any trouble in camp.

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

Edited by NitroX (06/11/05 01:50 AM)

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" PtVIII [Re: Ezine]
      #38404 - 29/09/05 03:59 AM

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Part VIII

Soon to be added.

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt IX [Re: Ezine]
      #38405 - 29/09/05 04:00 AM

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Part IX

Soon to be added.

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt X [Re: Ezine]
      #38406 - 29/09/05 04:01 AM

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Part X

Soon to be added.

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" [Re: Ezine]
      #38444 - 29/09/05 10:01 PM

First parts added.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" [Re: Ezine]
      #38471 - 30/09/05 04:01 PM

Wow! A great report, and fantastic pictures. Well done John.

I get the urge to immigrate to Australia when I see stuff like this. As I've mentioned before, you guys have so many possibilities down where you live. Even if you have to drive a while to get there.

Erik

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" [Re: NitroX]
      #38473 - 30/09/05 05:14 PM

G'day mate
John you had a lot of fun. Even the driving can be a lot of fun.
That big cigar is the reason you cannot smile , there is nothing better to end a succesful day than a good cigar, a nice drink and a campfire. Have you got some Bundi with the coke?

Looking forward to the rest of the story, up to now the pic's and the story is great

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" [Re: SAHUNT]
      #38474 - 30/09/05 06:27 PM

The 'coke' in the glass is actually a good Barossa shiraz I opened to celebrate the day.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

SAHUNT
Sponsor

#38478 - 30/09/05 09:47 PM

Your camouflage worked good. I've heard a lot of the Barossa wines, and did have a taste of one bottle, can't remember what it was though. Few things are better than a good shiraz.

--------------------
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
      #38555 - 02/10/05 08:04 AM

Good story and pictures mate!

SAHUNT
Sponsor

#38575 - 02/10/05 03:18 PM

Are scrub bulls domestic cattle that became wild? I once helped a farmer to hunt cattle that became wild, it sure was one hell of a job.

--------------------
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#38579 - 02/10/05 04:14 PM

Jaco

Scrub cattle are basically cattle born in the wild.

Some of the cattle stations are so big they only actually work parts of them. The rest including the cattle is wild.

Arnhemland is Aboriginal land and not worked as a cattle station. However they do do wild mustering of cattle and buffalo using bull catchers. I will post some photos soon.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

SAHUNT
Sponsor

#38606 - 03/10/05 02:54 AM

I'm thinking of the wobderfull streaks that scrb bull will supply. No silly hormones to get them to grow quick, only natural meat, my mouth is watering.

BTW, nothing better than a Cruiser in the bush. Yesterday after our bow competition the guys tried a decent uphill with their Bakkies everything from a 2x4 to moffie 4x4's Only my cruiser could get out in 2X4 no other vehicle could get over the top. If they are good they are good.

--------------------
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
      #39085 - 12/10/05 06:16 PM

Great stuff Nitro!!!!!!!!!I'm gonna get all my stuff together to make a plan to come uot there and visit you.Maybe you can join me for a buff hunt there.Looks great!!!!!!We better make a plan.It is my turn to visit you anyway!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

"Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt IV - photos added [Re: Ezine]
      #40770 - 06/11/05 02:00 AM

Some photos and comments added to Part IV of the "Buff, Bulls, Barra and Bream" hunt story.

Orion's first buffalo.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

"Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt VII - photos added [Re: Ezine]
      #40771 - 06/11/05 02:03 AM

Photos and comments added to Part VII of "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream".

Orion's second buffalo & assorted other photos.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 235 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 6969

You rated this topic a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com