Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 375 H&H 210 grain barnesX and the Black Wildebeest

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
375 H&H 210 grain barnesX and the Black Wildebeest
      #372 - 02/01/03 11:34 PM

Ok let me start from the top.

Walk into gunshop look around and see thay have 210 grain barnesX for 375. Hmmmmmm I'm thinking low SD 210 grains at 3000 fps and it's barnesX what the hell can go wrong ??? Worried about being too short no way a td shorter than the 270 grain hornady spitzers. Now too find a load that was a mission in end I settled on 71.5 grain of S335 of our local powder Somchem with CCI 250 primers giving me 2950 fps on a hot day. Grouping just over a 1" at 100 meters. Now the 375 H&H is already the most verstatille caliber for big game in the world and still has the name for the best all rounder. Now I'm adding a 200 grain bullet running at close to 3000 fps hell I want to see a gemsbuck laughing at me at 300 yards saying to himself "I'm too far, I'm to far nehnehneh !"

Well the time finally cam and I joined one of my clients Keith on his first ever AFrican hunt a very succesfull one as well with 6 of the 8 animals qualifying for roland ward and all for SCI. I was after an old black wildebeest bull and found one. After a 40 minute stalk all in the open with some crawling and leopard crawling as well I got to 120 yards from him he was on top of a ridge looking over his territory. I sat flat put up the short shooting sticks and aimed the sun was on the right of me and he was standing at an angle. The sun from the right made it difficult for me to see the outline of his chest and his shoulder. I hit him a bit too much too the right breaking his shoulder and completely destroying his left lung. I got my desired trophy an old black wildebeest bull he din't make roland ward but he had good character and he was old with half of his teeth on the one side already out.

The load worked perfectly and after breaking it's shoulder and destroying it's lung it penetrated around 36" in total. Here is a phot of the text book perfect expansion for barnes and the entrance wound on the carcass you will note how little meat was wasted.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: 375 H&H 210 grain barnesX and the Black Wildebeest [Re: SafariHunt]
      #377 - 03/01/03 04:55 AM

Frederik

Thats a nice bull and I have no complaints to the bullet performance.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1447

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com