Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New bow

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
New bow
      #37148 - 10/09/05 02:50 AM

Well I also joined the Mathews club yesterday. I got myself a Switchback. I spend the afternoon to set it up and papertuned the bow. This morning I sighted it up to 30 meters. It is a wonderfull bow. I must have shot more than 120 shots over the past 2 days and every shot was a pleasure.

Now I got to find a place to hunt something, very quickly.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: New bow [Re: SAHUNT]
      #37185 - 10/09/05 07:56 PM

Hi again Jaco,

I think you have got the best the money can buy.
The switchback is the newest Mathews. Mathews is advertising it's as fast as the LX, the one I (and Dan Hunsaker ) am using.
The speed of the arrows are fascinating me no end.
Elephant apart, you can shoot any game in Africa, should it be tuned up to 70 or even 75 lbs.
Your opinion?

Good luck

jb

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Re: New bow [Re: larcher]
      #37273 - 12/09/05 03:29 PM

JB,
I bought my son a Switchback in April and I was very impressed with it When I was decided which new bow to buy I looked at, LX, Outback, BlackMax and Swithback. I was amased by the smootness of the Switchback. I preciously had a Hoyt Intruder, which is also a very nice bow. I can set it up to 80lbs, which is better for dangerous game hunting.

I agree with you that you will be able to hunt all the animals except Ele with a bow of 70 lbs + and I recon for the dangerous ones you will need around 300 ft/s and a heavier arrow.

I have seen a video of a guy who shot an Eland with a Matthews which, if I remember correctly, was set to 54lbs, the arrow went clean through the animal.

Unfortuneately we have very outdated rules in RSA when it comes to dangerous animals, you must shoot them with a bow that draws 90lbs and they prescibe the arrow weight and the arrowhead. Mechanicals are not allowed. Fact is nobody abides by this ancient rules.

When hunting DG with a bow I will make sure that I have rifle back up, especially when following up on the animal

--------------------
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: New bow [Re: SAHUNT]
      #37362 - 14/09/05 02:12 AM

Dear Jaco

quote :"I have seen a video of a guy who shot an Eland with a Matthews which, if I remember correctly, was set to 54lbs, the arrow went clean through the animal."

In the CAR I shot a Derby Eland in February
with the 375HH.
Then I took my bow (Mathews LX 70lbs) and shot the carcass
at 10 m in the chest . The arrow zipped right through. The guide was really amazed as 2 458 Lott from his rifle never went out this eland, not speaking of my 375HH Swift A frame.

You know Jaco, I am puzzled about the power requested for bows. RSA rule is hard but it's the rule.
The main trouble is finding a compound bow over 70 lbs.
Recurve or long bow, yes,
Compound atrocely difficult to find one.
I was looking for a Mathews safari, no way to get one in France. My bowshop told me the Mathews blackmax was better than the Safari for the Blackmax is very very fast. What is your opinion.

I decided to keep my LX boosted between 70 and 75lbs.
In february I'll take (if God helps me)a buff or 2 and if possible a leopard with the LX. I pray I won't meet a lion
because it's costing dear but sure I'll not let down this opportunity and I'll shoot him. Concerning back up, no sweat the guide is loving close brushes.

What is good with the bow : it permits to shoot again trophies one have got before with the rifle.
A good friend outfitter in Burkina is coaxing me into coming again to havest a new bag with the bow.

good luck

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

SAHUNT
Sponsor

#37381 - 14/09/05 04:35 AM

Hi JB,
I am lucky to also have a bow that can be set up to 80 lbs. The problem with our rules are that they are outdated. Untill 1992 you could not hunt Ele,Buff,both Rhinos, Hippo, Croc, Leopard, Lion or Girafe with a bow. Animals were then divided in catogaries with specifications on the bow and arrow weight and the type of broadheads that can be used. Certain certification was also needed, but this can become long if I go into all the detail. A further complication was that it was not taken up in the law, it was a policy. For Cat III animals they prescribed a bow of 80lbs (36kg) and an arrow of 700gr. What is needed now, is a revision of the policy, the technology has advanced so much over the last couple of years that the modern bow out performes the bows of 10 years ago. A new law was passed, but unfortuneately I haven't got it yet. A further complication is that every province got their own legislation, and they do differ quite a lot.

Luckilly the authorities are taking note of the rate at which bow hunting are expanding and that is very possitive.

--------------------
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #37793 - 19/09/05 05:46 AM

Larcher,

You might want to see if you can get a Bowtech. They make a great heavy bow.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1942

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com