Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee Speed project

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Evan
.224 member

Reged: 19/12/21
Loc: British Columbia
Lee Speed project
      #359695 - 27/12/21 10:16 AM

I have a soft spot for Lee Metford and Lee Enfield rifles. I've been restoring lee Enfield's for a few years now. mostly I work on restoring the pre SMLE rifles. I like the Lee's that have a 30" or a 21" barrel. I have always like building sporters with the ones that cant be restored. I also like rebarreling them to other calibers using barrel nuts like the cooey carcano uses to install their barrels. I've build Lee Enfield/Metford receivers into at least 9 different calibers ranging from a 25-20 to a 43 mauser and 45/70

I've always wanted to build a really nice sporting rifle on a lee action. but every one I build always falls short of what I'm looking for. I have had a few lee speed over the years and they give me a feeling that the sporters I build done. so I then knew I needed to rid my self of the milsurplus parts and build a real sporter.

I started with a LEC receiver I got on trade that had all the marks scrubbed already. so it was prefect, the cleanest of all lee enfield/metford receivers and not able to be restored. (I have a real soft spot for LEC/LMC rifles, I even reproduce LEC/LMC and MLM/MLE nose caps for them made in 1018 steel on CNC machine, some of you may have seen them)

after I got the receiver cleaned up I send it to a friend for CCH then went to work on the other parts.

Ill be installing a tang safety, so I went ahead and found a early Lee Metford cocking piece that doesn't have the safety cutout in it. the receiver is clearly Enfield but its scrubbed and I'm using a BSA engraved dust cover. its chambered in 6.5x53R.

this rifle is a lot more done then this post shows but its a start, ill update tonight or tomorrow.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Evan
.224 member

Re: Lee Speed project [Re: Evan]
      #359696 - 27/12/21 10:18 AM

this is how the barrel is installed using a barrel nut/adapter

so you can see in the pics the areas that torque up to each other.

green on the nut tightens into the green area on the receiver first, then the red area on the barrel is threaded to meet the red area on the receiver

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
      #359705 - 28/12/21 12:50 AM

Looking good!!

Hoot
.275 member

Reged: 25/01/17
Loc: MN
Re: Lee Speed project [Re: degoins]
      #359710 - 28/12/21 02:28 AM

WOW! Neat project! Please keep us informed.

Evan
.224 member

Re: Lee Speed project [Re: Hoot]
      #359718 - 28/12/21 06:00 AM

I did a little work on the bolt. I flattened the bolt handle and swept it ahead a bit and tipped it back a some, made sure there was clearance from the receiver.

I also worked the bolt head as well to make it look smaller profile and clean the look up a bit.

the BSA dust cover has been polished and was sent for CCH, ill get more pics soon. the ones of it finished CCH look terrible as they are some funky setting on my camera, definitely the wrong one. the trigger guard is also CCH

Edited by Evan (28/12/21 06:50 AM)

Evan
.224 member

#359719 - 28/12/21 06:09 AM

I bought this wood for it but it wasn't quite what I wanted. in the first pic its the 3rd from the top. I cut it in the a rough shape and drilled the butt stock, also shaped it to fit the butt stock socket then decided I wanted it to be nicer. this wouldn't do!

Edited by Evan (28/12/21 06:12 AM)

Evan
.224 member

#359720 - 28/12/21 06:14 AM

I bought a new set of dies for it and 100 of each type of bullet 129gr SST, 140gr SBT, 160gr RN

here are a few pics of the new Blank that I will be using for this build as well.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #359726 - 28/12/21 07:39 AM

Very nice indeed!
Great work to say the least.
I noticed that you've somewhat slimmed down the extractor/bolt head - or is that how they were made for the 'sporters'?
As far as heat treating the old action, what is the process for doing CCH; how do you know if you've got the temper back in the action / now too brittle to use?
Sorry mate, too many questions!

Evan
.224 member

Re: Lee Speed project [Re: 93x64mm]
      #359733 - 28/12/21 12:41 PM

Quote:

Very nice indeed!
Great work to say the least.
I noticed that you've somewhat slimmed down the extractor/bolt head - or is that how they were made for the 'sporters'?
As far as heat treating the old action, what is the process for doing CCH; how do you know if you've got the temper back in the action / now too brittle to use?
Sorry mate, too many questions!

Thanks! the bolt head I believe was my idea. I haven't seen it done on any other lee speeds I have owed, but I don't want to say for sure. It very well could have been done before. It just cleans the look up, but makes it lots harder to remove the bolt as you have nothing to leaver on them lifting the bolt head.

well when its CCH by the end of it, its red hot and quenched so it makes it very hard and brittle, due to the quenching and the addition of carbon in the CCH process makes for an extremely hard receiver. it is then tempered back to about 38 on the RC scale for hardness, so not overly hard at all, but defiantly toughened up.

the person who did the CCH harder is quite well known around north America if not farther, his name is Oskar Kob. he had done CCH on some of the finest rifles I have 100% confidence in his work

ask as many question as you have. I posted the rifle because I want to talk about it

Edited by Evan (28/12/21 01:52 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #359734 - 28/12/21 01:18 PM

I-too wondered about the colour casehardening and tempering the action. I know Turnbull does it, as do the Dorleac bros.
Thank you for the explanation. I also know that tempering, also increases the colours.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Bluenoser
.224 member

Reged: 20/04/20
Loc: Canada
Re: Lee Speed project [Re: DarylS]
      #362797 - 27/02/22 08:50 AM

Well Evan, you are certainly doing Oskar's color case hardening justice and Wayne appears to be chomping at the bit to get at the stock. You are doing an outstanding job and I look forward to seeing the finished rifle.
By the way, your magazine is finished.
Cheers

Evan
.224 member

Re: Lee Speed project [Re: Bluenoser]
      #364717 - 18/04/22 03:42 AM

Thanks bluenoser!!

So there has been work done on my stock for this rifle, there was some major delays on my end of things getting him the parts he needs to make the stock. the stock makers is doing great work and I'm very happy with the communication. the pics were texted to me so they are low quality but the butt stock is roughed out on the copier and the forend in the pic is what he's going to use as a template. so it will be cut over size from that but should finish to near that nice short slender forend. the barrel is tiny so that forend should fit it very well. I'm also going to get a small piece of the same walnut that made the stock to have a knife handle with with it

i also got the butt plate I'm going to use for it and the barrel rib. the mag is finished and on its way to me (well it still needs its engraving done) with the barrel rib i have to shorten it about 2" so i will do that where the rear sight mounts, i plan to run a NCG 3 leaf express sight without the base mounted in the rib. i also have a 4 leaf Winchester sight that im thinking about. i wish the has a ladder sight on it as well though, but the barrel is very short and thin so it may look odd to have a 5" long rear sight, that may be better suited for a rifle with a 28" barrel.

the NCG 3 leaf is 2.25" long and the Winchester is 3" long

Evan
.224 member

#364718 - 18/04/22 03:43 AM

so the fishbelly mag showed up today, (its a converted smle mag) I'm very excited to have it for this rifle and very pleased with the work. B_noser you did an awesome job!! JimHarrison thanks for sending him the original mag to make all of this possible.

this mag functions with 129, 140 and 160gr 6.5mm bullets. the 129's need to be loaded a bit long to make them hold in the mag properly. but they all work if loaded to 3" long and skip the crimp grove just set the OAL to 3".

now this mag is ready to go to engraving and then blueing once the stocks finished and I get the rest of the rifle back, so I can send all the parts to engraving at once then all to blueing at once.

in the pics I have it pictured with a factory LEC mag (what i was going to use in the rifle before i came across the ability to use a fishbelly mag) it would have looked ok but quite millspec for this rifle I think

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #364742 - 19/04/22 06:39 AM

Quote:

i also got the butt plate I'm going to use for it and the barrel rib.

How do you intend to use that barrel rib? On those old Suhl made half – octagonal barrels the rib is not soldered on, but an integral part of the barrel proper, machined from the same piece of steel. The only way for transferring it to another barrel I can imagine: Mill all the barrel off the old rib! Only then it may be soldered on another barrel.

Evan
.224 member

Re: Lee Speed project [Re: kuduae]
      #366474 - 09/06/22 02:38 AM

yes the barrel is part is apart of the barrel, when I had bought it the seller told me it was soldered on and sent pics of what looked like solder marks on the knox,

so now ill be milling the barrel off the rib then using a ball nose to concave it a bit to fit my barrel to be soldered on. more work then I had hopped but I cant find any solid barrel ribs to buy so this may be the simplest option still

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #366483 - 09/06/22 06:57 AM

Beautiful work mate!
Coming along nicely, keep us informed of your progress.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Lee Speed project [Re: 93x64mm]
      #366491 - 09/06/22 01:19 PM

Well done so far, Evan.
The Left and bottom express sight is the one I bought from Brownells back in '86 & had Taylor put on my .69's barrel. It's a nice sight.
The one I bought didn't have the centres marked, so I did that and filled them with silver solder.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Lee Speed project [Re: DarylS]
      #366501 - 09/06/22 03:11 PM

Try to keep displayed images to no bigger than 1024 pixels wide. 2048 pixels is two times too big. Makes the forums hard to read. There are free sites and free software which allows easy resizing. Thanks.

My digital SLR is set to take dual images, about 4000 pixels widecand probably raw files at over 24000 pixels wide. So resizing iscalways necessary.

Most cameras including smart phones can also be preset to take certain size images. Useful to consider what is ideal for the intended use of the image. These larger images are mostly for publishing, or large blown out photograph printing. Not needed for internet sharing.

Thanks.

PPPS Some forums automatically shrink any displayed images to a specified maximumm size. I wish this one did.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Lee Speed project [Re: NitroX]
      #366503 - 09/06/22 03:15 PM

Project looks like it is coming along nicely.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #366529 - 10/06/22 03:49 AM

Quote:

yes the barrel is part is apart of the barrel, when I had bought it the seller told me it was soldered on and sent pics of what looked like solder marks on the knox,

so now ill be milling the barrel off the rib then using a ball nose to concave it a bit to fit my barrel to be soldered on. more work then I had hopped but I cant find any solid barrel ribs to buy so this may be the simplest option still

heaven help!with the same amount of work you can make a rib from solid steel. this suhl barrel are the best of all, nobody else made such a profil.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Evan
.224 member

Re: Lee Speed project [Re: lancaster]
      #366532 - 10/06/22 05:22 AM

Sorry about the inage size..ill watch that when i get the share links from flickr. I can set the size.

And i could make a barrel rib but i dont know how to do the nice pattern on the top so for me this will be easier as i wont have to send it to be engraved

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5367

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com