Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Oberndorf Commercial Mauser Sporter - factory ammo

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
ms86
.224 member

Reged: 17/02/20
Loc: Austin, Texas
Oberndorf Commercial Mauser Sporter - factory ammo
      #338405 - 26/02/20 11:50 PM

Hi there,

Newcomer to this forum, longtime enthusiast of fine sporting rifles. I’ve just purchased a vintage Oberndorf Mauser Commercial Sporting Rifle, Type B, in 7x57, made around 1940. It’s in near mint condition but I wholeheartedly believe in using rifles as they were intended so I would like to shoot it, more specifically take it hunting.

Believe it or not this is my first rifle in 7mm and I was wondering whether folks here had any recommendations for factory ammunition to use in the rifle. Not too concerned about chamber pressures or anything like that and from a bit of research it seems the major US players (Federal, Remington, Winchester, Hornady) ans European (Prvi, S&B) all load 139 or 140 gr hunting rounds (soft point) in the 2,600 FPS range which I understand from Jon Speeds Mausers book would be correct for a 7x57 of this era (albeit the modern bullets are smaller than the 154gr he discusses). Mostly I’m interested in recommendations of factory rounds with excellent accuracy and penetration for hunting Texas white tails and hogs.

I’m sure the members of this forum will have some suggestions. Let me know what you shoot in your 7x57s!

Thanks,
Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Oberndorf Commercial Mauser Sporter - factory ammo [Re: ms86]
      #338454 - 27/02/20 02:40 PM

welcome mike, can't give you advice on ammo but we like pics here so get a pic up of that 7mm,,it usually gets more response ....paul

JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Oberndorf Commercial Mauser Sporter - factory ammo [Re: pjaln]
      #338505 - 29/02/20 12:15 AM

Mike, First let me say congratulations on your fine purchase! The area I hunt is thick with vegetation so my shots are limited to not over 100 yards. I use handloaded 139 Hornady Interlock bullets running 2553 fps and have never had to shoot deer more than once. I have chronoed Remington 140s and Privi at slightly over 2600 fps and they are plenty accurate for most hunting applications. I don't think you will go wrong in selecting what your fine rifle shoots most accurately.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Oberndorf Commercial Mauser Sporter - factory ammo [Re: JDL]
      #338531 - 29/02/20 06:50 PM

Mick, congratulations on your rifle & Type B Mauser in very good condition - very happy you'll be I bet to say the least!
The 7x57 is a grand old cartridge, it has taken a lot of game; from the very small to the very large!
I haven't used factory ammunition for rifles for many a year, except for my old 410 H&R.
But I do use the 140gn Noslers in my old Parker Hale, certainly dispatches pigs & deer with gusto.
My loads are not on the hot side, about 2700fps out of a 22" barrel.
I did recover the projectile it was perfectly mushroomed, the shot on the deer (Javan Rusa) was at about 50 yards; quartering shot just behind right front shoulder & ended up just under the skin in front of left hind leg.
So a white tail deer is in very serious trouble mate if it pops into your sights!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Oberndorf Commercial Mauser Sporter - factory ammo [Re: 93x64mm]
      #338532 - 29/02/20 07:14 PM

7x57 Mauser, like already noted is an excellent ctg. 160 gr.Noslers at 2,700fps are quite doable and an excellent load for about anything NA.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

ms86
.224 member

Re: Oberndorf Commercial Mauser Sporter - factory ammo [Re: DarylS]
      #338553 - 01/03/20 08:22 AM

Thanks for all the great responses so far. I might have forgotten to mention in my original post, but I am not reloading at the moment. So, recommendations on factory ammo are appreciated. I gather that keeping it around 2600 FPS sounds about right. Looking at Speed's Mauser book (p.278) it seems that for the era in which my rifle was made (1940), the typical hunting load in 7x57 was a 154 grain soft RN with 2,668 muzzle velocity, 2,430 muzzle energy, and chamber pressure of 42,650. If anyone knows of factory ammo that will best approximate that, please let me know, as I would reckon a load like that would shoot best in my Mauser.

Also, per Paul's request above, I am posting photos (apologies for the quality, taken on my phone), this Mauser was made in 1940 and has the correct eagle and staghorn proof marks, also has what I believe to be a factory side scope mount (very close to the example Speed presents in his book, p.173) and a period-correct Hensoldt Dialytan 4x scope with clear optics. The rifle is in great condition and I'm very honored to own it and cannot wait to take it afield.

Looking forward to being a part of this community. Please feel free to share any tips or stories of hunting with fine Mausers, especially those in 7mm.

Edited by ms86 (01/03/20 08:43 AM)

ms86
.224 member

#339173 - 18/03/20 01:07 PM

Interested in any other recommendations on factory 7x57 ammo for this Mauser sporter. So far I gather that PPU or something like Federal/Remington Core Lokt will be fine. But definitely open to other suggestions. To me the best performing ammo is more important than the cost, especially since it will be used for hunting and I believe in clean humane kills.

Also - I posted pics of the rifle above but don’t know if I should start a different thread in the Mauser photos part of this forum - since I’m new just let me know the right protocol.

Thanks,
Mike

DarylS
.700 member

#339181 - 18/03/20 06:20 PM

Norma factory ammo should please.

--------------------
Daryl

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Oberndorf Commercial Mauser Sporter - factory ammo [Re: DarylS]
      #339186 - 18/03/20 10:56 PM

Quote:

Norma factory ammo should please.

Yep it is good ammo - but an absolutely useless bloody site now to even navigate let alone find anything - just draw blanks my end!
https://www.norma-ammunition.com/en-gb/products/calibers/7-x-57

RWS is also VERY good ammunition & brass has an extremely good usage if you decide to reload.
https://rws-ammunition.com/en/products/centerfire-rifle-cartridges/rws-7x57-id-classic-10-5g
10.5g = 162gn TIG's Very deadly old pill this one!
810m/s = 2657fps
So it's no slouch of a load for sure

TexasJohn
.300 member

Reged: 06/04/10
Loc: Texas
Re: Oberndorf Commercial Mauser Sporter - factory ammo [Re: 93x64mm]
      #339191 - 19/03/20 12:02 AM

Congratulations for obtaining such a fine specimen. I think you will come to appreciate the workmanship of the Mauser factory very much. I too handload using 139 grain Hornadys; however, I have used factory ammo to great success. I have absolutely no complaints about Federal or Remington factory ammo as it performs quite well and is easily available in your area. It will do well on Texas Whitetails or Feral Hogs.

Good hunting.

--------------------
John

"In the Texas Oilfield, everything that does not kill me today, gets another chance tomorrow."

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Oberndorf Commercial Mauser Sporter - factory ammo [Re: TexasJohn]
      #339201 - 19/03/20 04:47 PM

Yes. Have to aggree on the RWS ammo
Top notch for sure.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3825

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com