Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: How to ruin a vintage double rifle..

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
How to ruin a vintage double rifle..
      #33760 - 24/06/05 06:16 AM

Sleeve it to 45-70.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=33797570

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: How to ruin a vintage double rifle.. [Re: 500grains]
      #33765 - 24/06/05 07:18 AM

YEP, that's the way to do it!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: How to ruin a vintage double rifle.. [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #33804 - 24/06/05 11:01 PM

My favorite has to be the ones I've seen with 1/4 rib drilled and tapped for a set of Weaver "claw mounts."

Nothing looks quite so good atop a DR as a set of Weavers.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: How to ruin a vintage double rifle.. [Re: new_guy]
      #189105 - 02/09/11 08:53 PM

How about this Webley & Scott 500 N.E. from 1910...

Edited by CptCurl (19/09/11 09:18 PM)

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: How to ruin a vintage double rifle.. [Re: 93mouse]
      #189107 - 02/09/11 09:19 PM

Ouch. At least that last one could be re-stocked and have a proper sight put-on. A grown man could weep...

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: How to ruin a vintage double rifle.. [Re: Ben]
      #189108 - 02/09/11 09:30 PM

easy fixi.

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Re: How to ruin a vintage double rifle.. [Re: kamilaroi]
      #190219 - 19/09/11 01:08 PM

Is that some kind of hydraulic recoil reducer? Or just too many white line spacers?
Bill

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: How to ruin a vintage double rifle.. [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #190220 - 19/09/11 01:15 PM

Quote:

Is that some kind of hydraulic recoil reducer? Or just too many white line spacers?
Bill

I think it's some sort of Cushion type recoil pad.

Bayoubob
.224 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Arkansas
Re: How to ruin a vintage double rifle.. [Re: 500Nitro]
      #190221 - 19/09/11 04:10 PM

A lot of folks consider their rifle to be a tool, not a work of art. The owner probably modified his tool so it would do the job he needed it to. To most of us our rifles are toys (expensive grown up toys)so we can baby them and worry about how they look.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: How to ruin a vintage double rifle.. [Re: Bayoubob]
      #190246 - 19/09/11 09:32 PM

Bayoubob,

Welcome to the NE forums.

Unfortunately you are correct. There is a class of people who rate a fine double rifle in the same category as a hoe or garden rake.

I suppose we should not mourn when these people commit such atrocities to their own property. Likewise, a student of the fine arts shouldn't whine if the owner of a classic sculpture decided the marble would be more useful if ground to gravel and used to patch his driveway.

One need only look to the finely executed engraving, the chiseled and hand-filed action, and the nicely carved stock on the above double rifle to know that the maker thought of it not only as a tool but as a work of art. I feel certain it was received as such by the original owner. And the fact is, it was emminently capable of the job intended just as originally made. Only some later user incapable of handling it thought otherwise.

Should there be some moral responsibility to preserve art of the past? That's the question to ponder. In my mind the answer is "yes".

This owner should have started his modifications with a Blaser double. He could do anything imaginable with one of those and hear no chirp from me. There's no art in a Blaser. It's made as a tool and never will be revered as art.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
      #190247 - 19/09/11 09:44 PM

Quote:

A lot of folks consider their rifle to be a tool, not a work of art. The owner probably modified his tool so it would do the job he needed it to. To most of us our rifles are toys (expensive grown up toys)so we can baby them and worry about how they look.

And herein lies the rub.

The tool was made for a specific market and at a particular price point.

There is little to suggest that an A&D action made for the trade was anything but.

The item in discussion is easily returned to its original form.

Don't anyone get yer panties in a wad about it eh?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: How to ruin a vintage double rifle.. [Re: kamilaroi]
      #190253 - 20/09/11 01:28 AM

The "gunbroker" thinks quite highly of a lot of what they are selling.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: How to ruin a vintage double rifle.. [Re: DarylS]
      #190255 - 20/09/11 01:39 AM

Something about the changes to that gun says "60's or 70's" t me, and that was the era where DR'S were NOT viewed as they are today but more like obsolete pieces of jumk with no ammo available.

So, looking back to those days, if it was that era then we can be grateful that is all they did.

At least they are easily "fixable".

Edited by 500Nitro (20/09/11 02:19 PM)

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: How to ruin a vintage double rifle.. [Re: 500Nitro]
      #190258 - 20/09/11 03:14 AM

Abercrombie and Fitch in San Francisco had an H&H .500 DR for sale in 1965(?) for $2200. If my failing memory works right, the gun was mint, Best quality. Yeah, $2200 was a bit of money back then, but not so much that a hunter wouldn't have modified the rifle to his liking. There is a reason not all doubles survived. They weren't all shot out. Some were just treated like shovels - A&N guns for instance.

Bayoubob
.224 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Arkansas
Re: How to ruin a vintage double rifle.. [Re: poprivit]
      #190277 - 20/09/11 02:03 PM

Thanks CptCurl. I've been a double rifle dreamer most of my life but just became an owner recently. I am also of the opinion that fine weapons should be cared for; I hate if when one of mine gets even a safe ding. Having spent a good part of my adult life living way out in the Ozarks (among some of the finest people on the earth I will add)) I saw a lot of firearms that lived on a rack in a pick-up or worse, under the seat. Some of them had no finish and no blue left on them but still had bright bores. I have my grandfather's shotgun that was used at some time for a pry bar. The stock broke at the wrist and was splinted with a couple of pieces of flat steel and a bunch of old cloth electrical tape. I've started to re-stock it several times but it just seems like it should stay the way Granddad used it.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #190818 - 27/09/11 01:55 AM

Bayoubob & Capt Curl, I can agree with you both on this subject to some degree, but with some reservations!

BayouBob I think the difference here is that your grand father’s old broken and abused shotgun is one thing and a finely made firearm, of any make, are two entirely different things! The old shotgun means something to you and so is priceless TO YOU just the way it is. I have some of my family’s old ranch guns that were like you old shotgun, and like yours they will remain that way! However, those guns started life as TOOLS as I’m sure your old shotgun did, and were not "works of art" at the time they were made, and never would have been unless they were still in the original box and unfired, and only mildly so then!

On the other hand, Capt Curl’s take! The Webley & Scott 500NE double rifle started life as a WORKING work of art and should have been cared for with that level of respect. The fact is the fine hand made double rifle will out live several owners if cared for properly, even with every day use in the hunting fields would be a finer firearm when 120 years old, than your grand father’s old shot gun or my family’s old ranch rifles were when they left the factory. What this man did to this old double rifle is not the bettering of the TOOL, but one of ignorance, much like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa with a marks-a-lot!

All I’m saying is, some things simply shouldn’t be done even to privately owned things! The W&S can certainly be put back to LOOK as it was, but it will never be as it was because a new stock is a “NEW REPLACEMENT”, and a replacement front sight is a “NEW REPLACEMENT “ while the rifle is a 1910 heirloom that has been trashed!

Of course opinions vary!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7195

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com