Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ruger RSM 77 .375

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Maineguide
.275 member

Reged: 09/03/05
Loc: New Hampshire
Ruger RSM 77 .375
      #32370 - 30/05/05 01:09 PM

I have recently purchased a Ruger .375 and when shooting it at the range for the first time I found that the cases did not eject when I worked the bolt agressively. Researching this problem on the web has revealed that this can be a problem with the new Rugers. I called Ruger and they said they haven't had any problems like this and have never heard of the cases not ejecting but told me to drop off the gun and they would take a look at it. So before I sent the gun to them I thought I would try the range again just to be sure. Well, you guessed it, try as I might I could not get the gun to malfuction no matter how fast or hard I worked the bolt. Any suggestions or has anyone had this problem before? From the articles I read in African Hunting Magizine the problem exists in the ejector spring being too weak so when the bolt is brought back quickley the case passes over the ejector before it has time to pop up and kick out the cartridge.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Ruger RSM 77 .375 [Re: Maineguide]
      #32374 - 30/05/05 02:26 PM

I hate to say this, but the solution is to sell the Ruger and get a Model 70.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #32378 - 30/05/05 03:25 PM

Evidently this a recent thing as Ruger seems to rush guns out the door as fast as they can, just CZ. I own a few RSM's and don't have any problems since they are a few years old and quality back then was excellent. One guy on another forum found that opening and polishing the ejector slot on the underside of the bolt freed up the ejector. Measure your slot and the thickness of the ejector and see if there's a problem there. Polishing the sides of ejector would probably help too. Also, check the ejector spring. If all else fails, send it back to Ruger.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Maineguide
.275 member

Re: Ruger RSM 77 .375 [Re: 475Guy]
      #32532 - 01/06/05 07:49 AM

Arrgggg!!! I had it out to the range and ran a couple of boxes through it and guess what, I didn't eject about every third round. It's going back to Ruger this week and I'll let you know how it ends

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #32539 - 01/06/05 10:42 AM

I don't think this is a recent problem. Most people don't test out their guns very well and never know about the problem. Until they get stomped.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Ruger RSM 77 .375 [Re: 500grains]
      #32573 - 02/06/05 03:11 PM

You mean a real Mdl 70...? Not a new "classic"...???

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Maineguide
.275 member

Re: Ruger RSM 77 .375 [Re: 500grains]
      #32661 - 05/06/05 12:13 PM

I must say that I really like the gun. Its shoots extremely well and though it's a tad heavy it makes up for it in recoil reduction. I can shoot the thing all day and not worry about the recoil. The wood is better than decent and I bought it for next years trip to
RSA for plains game. I plan to take a model 70 classic in 30 06 too but I will get this ejection thing fixed or the gun will be gone.

JKS
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/04
Loc: Mount Vernon, WA, USA
      #32671 - 05/06/05 02:07 PM

I don't have an RSM in 375, but I have RSMs in 416 Rigby and 458 Lott. I haven't had a problem with ejection with either of these rifles. I think the RSMs are the best value out there with their integral quarter rib and usually nice wood. However, I think any production rifle needs to be tuned by a good smith. My RSMs are being sent to Roger Ferrell for a full tune-bedding, trigger adjustment and feeeding work. You can send your rifle back to Ruger (they are great to work with) but I would instead have an experinced smith give your rifle the go through.

I think the RSMs are worth it, and frankly haven't found a production DG rifle that works perfectly out of the box. Sad but true.

John

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Ruger RSM 77 .375 [Re: JKS]
      #32673 - 05/06/05 02:21 PM

Amen, brother. There are a bunch of guys who dislike the RSM's intensely because the receivers are cast. It seems that elitism exists since a lot are Mauser purists. A good Mauser will cost you an arm and a leg, your left nut and your first born.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Maineguide
.275 member

#32680 - 06/06/05 12:56 AM

Thanks for the advice, when I get the gun back from Ruger I'll send it to a gunsmith for a going over. The ejection problem only happens when the bolt is worked aggressively, and once in a while the nose of the next round will stick and not feed into the chamber. I have really worked this gun over and if you just did your normal feed and fire excerise at the range these problems would not happen. But I'm a firm believer in really field testing my guns especially if it could mean your ass.

JKS
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/04
Loc: Mount Vernon, WA, USA
      #32695 - 06/06/05 01:57 PM

Maineguide,

I sincerely believe that with a little tuning the RSMs are the best bargains out there. Put a good pad on it ( I like the Limbsaver) to your LOP and have a smith bed it and tune the trigger. Have the smith work on any feeding issues and the ejection problem. Now you have around $1600+ invested in a rifle that is truly top notch. The wood and integral quarter rib makes this rifle special. I like my Czs and M70s but I am really fond of my RSMs. They are just special to me and have a good "fondling" quality.

edit to add: they are the most accurate or my big bores. My 458 Lott is an honest 1" gun and has accounted for many varmints! Yes you don't need a MOA DG rifle but it is a good psychological boost to know your rifle is exceptionally accurate.

John

Edited by JKS (06/06/05 02:03 PM)

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #32725 - 07/06/05 08:24 AM

Both of my RSMs were excellent guns in every respect, except for the triggers. $75.00 Timneys solved those problems. Ruger will do a factory trigger job for the cost of shipping to the factory; I've heard they do a good job.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Ruger RSM 77 .375 [Re: luv2safari]
      #32767 - 08/06/05 10:00 AM

I don't know where your going to get a better gun for the money, the intregal quarter rib alone is worth about $3K on a custom rifle, add to that a M-70 type safty, barrel band swivel, barrel band front sight...I can fix a gun that won't eject in a heartbeat, thats minor...get a new ejector, also yours may have an obstruction of hard grease or whatever in it...

458RugerNo1
.224 member

Reged: 04/03/04
Loc: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, ...
Re: Ruger RSM 77 .375 [Re: atkinson6]
      #34790 - 18/07/05 07:25 AM

All guns need a little going-thru when you first get them.

Take a very fine grit sandpaper and polish/smooth the feed ramp, magazine lip/rails, etc to smooth the feeding and eliminate case marring from those sharp edges...

As for the ejection, that's easy. It's got to be the ejector spring being a bit weak or perhaps it's gummed up with crud or goo. As a matter of course clean out that slot in the action that it moves within, also the slot in the bolt that it moves within (check these areas for any burrs that might be causing the grief also)... Change the spring if necessary and I'd wager you'll be in business.

I have the same .375 RSM and I swear by it. The Ruger RSM is a truly classic rifle and a helluva package for $1200 IMHO. Mine is without question my all-time favorite rifle...

--------------------
God Bless old Elmer Keith!

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Ruger RSM 77 .375 [Re: 458RugerNo1]
      #34792 - 18/07/05 07:58 AM

In reply to:

458RugerNo1:
As for the ejection, that's easy. It's got to be the ejector spring being a bit weak or perhaps it's gummed up with crud or goo. As a matter of course clean out that slot in the action that it moves within, also the slot in the bolt that it moves within (check these areas for any burrs that might be causing the grief also)... Change the spring if necessary and I'd wager you'll be in business.

Yep! I have two of the RSMs; one in .375 H&H and the other in .416 Rigby. I had my gunsmith go over both. Timney triggers, smooth/polish actions, tune extractors, lap lugs, glass bed, etc. He did find that the ejector slot and ejector on both rifles were a little rough (slight burrs as 458RugerNo1 mentions). He polished both. Both feed and eject just fine now. Most any production gun can use a little going over.

-Bob F.

Maineguide
.275 member

Re: Ruger RSM 77 .375 [Re: BFaucett]
      #34796 - 18/07/05 12:16 PM

Yes I agree, I have run about 150 rounds through her and I don't seem to have anymore problems. I'm going to have a gunsmith go over it and put a leather pad on the stock as they come a little short for me. The stock pad is pretty scimpy anyway. I have shot this and the Winchesters and there is no comparision. The Ruger is head and shoulders a better gun. I know there is a M70 following that will disagree, but if you compare them side by side and shoot each of the new guns you can't help but go with the Ruger. The price difference is made up with just the banded front site, never mind the the other features. It is simply the best value for the money out there. Now the bad part, whenever this happens, sooner or later the company figures it that there not making any money and shortly thereafter discontinues the model, or worse cheapens it up a bit. Just wait and see, it never fails

Maineguide

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9052

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com