Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bolt Insertion Issues

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Bolt Insertion Issues
      #322514 - 16/12/18 12:48 PM

I picked up a Lee Speed Sporter and the bolt was shipped in the case but not in the rifle. Of course that is the normal way to ship a bolt rifle. However, I can't get the bolt to go all the way into battery or rotate. I wonder if it may have been cocked when out of the receiver and will not go back in as it is. Also, I could use some education in the function of the safety.

If better pictures are needed to diagnose, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Bolt Insertion Issues [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #322523 - 16/12/18 07:47 PM

Looks Ok, you can turn the firing pin/safety nut easy once it is in but that looks ok !

Do you know how to put the bolt in, bolt slides in & you click down the bolt head into the little groove, which has slightly loaded spring tension part at the rear of the action ?

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Re: Bolt Insertion Issues [Re: Sarg]
      #322526 - 16/12/18 10:51 PM

Thanks....so the bolt head clicks down into the groove before you slide the bolt the rest of the way in. Got it now. Now just need to figure out the proper function of safety and cocking piece, as well as sequence for cycling. Will be fun though. And my FFL had some left over .303 he no longer needed...bonus ammo.

Many thanks!

--------------------

An Elephant Story

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Bolt Insertion Issues [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #322529 - 17/12/18 01:34 AM

Sarg is right on for yours but for those who might be messing with a No 4 Mk 1* {"Mark One Star"} action for the first time the bolt head is removed by lifting from and replaced by snapping back into a notch cut in the groove up close to the front of the receiver a short distance from the receiver ring.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Bolt Insertion Issues [Re: 9.3x57]
      #322541 - 17/12/18 04:07 PM

Doesn't the No4 have a serrated spring loaded plunger just behind the charger bridge which you depress with your thumb to allow the bolt head to slip down down and feed onto the guide rail. The rotating bolt head has a groove which feeds onto the rail?

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Bolt Insertion Issues [Re: eagle27]
      #322542 - 17/12/18 04:26 PM

Quote:

Doesn't the No4 have a serrated spring loaded plunger just behind the charger bridge which you depress with your thumb to allow the bolt head to slip down down and feed onto the guide rail. The rotating bolt head has a groove which feeds onto the rail?

The No 4 Mk 1 does. The Mk 1* has the simplified arrangement described above.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Bolt Insertion Issues [Re: 9.3x57]
      #322544 - 17/12/18 06:05 PM

Yes very simplified !

englishman_ca
.224 member

Reged: 05/08/17
Loc: Almaguin, Ontario, Canada
Re: Bolt Insertion Issues [Re: Sarg]
      #322778 - 26/12/18 09:50 AM

Simple answer, your rifle does not have a safety.

You have what is commonly called a 'Lee Metford bolt'.

There is a half cock, but that was never prescribed to be used other than as the built in feature that if the sear were to slip off the bent at full cock, it will automatically fall into half cock and not fire.

The military version of the early Lee Metford did not have a safety either. But it had a magazine cut off plate which when closed, stopped the supply of cartridges from the magazine. The plate had to be opened in order to load from the mag. Fire orders were given by an officer when to load, fire , etc. In the combat of those days, the only time that there would be a chambered round in the rifle was when the muzzle was pointed at the enemy ready to fire. A rifle would never be carried 'locked and loaded'.

How does one use such a design for sport and hunting?... Answer = very carefully!

--------------------
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes.

Edited by englishman_ca (26/12/18 09:52 AM)

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: Bolt Insertion Issues [Re: englishman_ca]
      #322976 - 03/01/19 09:56 PM

From memory, when I trained on the No 4 Rifle as a Cadet the bolt head screws into the main body of the bolt. If it is not fully screwed in the rifle will not close properly.

Also check the serial numbers - is it the correct bolt for the rifle? If its not, and if it is not closing you may be able to get a good gunsmith to be able to fit it by judicious bit hard fitting. Remember that with the Lee action the locking lugs are at the rear of the bolt, not at the head like a Mauser / Remington. And they cock on closing - it's the sear that holds back the firing pin as the bolt is pushed forward. There is no camming effect on opening on the firing pin aka Mauser 98 or Rem 700.

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Re: Bolt Insertion Issues [Re: HeymSR20]
      #324422 - 08/02/19 03:13 PM

I do have the mag cut off. Thanks for all the info.

--------------------

An Elephant Story

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4248

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com