Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: the worlds best rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
.300 member

Reged: 15/03/05
Loc: west retreat
the worlds best rifle
      #32224 - 28/05/05 09:15 PM

what is the best all round rifle in the world that wont cost an arm and a leg this includes caliber and make of rifle

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Morten
.275 member

Reged: 24/04/04
Loc: Ås, Norway
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: 303]
      #32229 - 28/05/05 09:52 PM

I am very satesfied with my Shults & Larsen rifle in 9,3*62. The trigger is a strory of it self, so are the barrels and presission. They are vell known for their barrels. It shoulders very vell for me and everything part of it is metal. ( I have the "old" MD 97 modell with the safety on the bolt.) I would not change this rifle for anything. You will not be disapointed.

I also think that Sako M75 would be a smart choise.

**DONOTDELETE**

#32237 - 28/05/05 11:34 PM

Assuming the general theme of this site I assume you are referring to a bigger bore.

For a plain rifle the HS Precision in 375 Rem Ultra. Would cost about with muzzle brake about $4000AUS out here.

For someting more flashy in wood then a Weathery by via their custom shot and Kreiger cut rifling barrel and action work option in 378 or 460. Will cost about $6000AUS to $13000AUS out here dending on what you get.

Both rifles are centre line and so no feeding issues etc.

I think the Sauer 202 would also be there in 375 H&H, another centreline feeder and perhaps about $3000AUS out here.

Mike

Pottsy
.224 member

Reged: 28/05/05
Loc: Oregon Coos Bay
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: Morten]
      #32278 - 29/05/05 05:34 AM

In reply to:

I am very satesfied with my Shults & Larsen rifle in 9,3*62. The trigger is a strory of it self, so are the barrels and presission. They are vell known for their barrels. It shoulders very vell for me and everything part of it is metal. ( I have the "old" MD 97 modell with the safety on the bolt.) I would not change this rifle for anything. You will not be disapointed.

I also think that Sako M75 would be a smart choise.

Well since i am new i guess i really shouldn't couse to much trouble on my first posting ...

But your right on everything but if it were up to me it would be the same rifle but in 9.3x64 B

My newest one ( i have two ) is a work gun so to speak
its built on an old springfield... the only draw back with doing this way was i cant run anything over 293 which is not a really bad thing since the 9.3x64 seems to do best with 260+ Grain bullets and seems to fall away at around 290+ grains..
Which is what sparked me to order a swage die set in
a Rebaitted Boattail so i can make up 280 grain boattails for it .

Well thanks for letting on the board boys ...

Very nice lay out on the board

--------------------
Owner PA Bullet's

Oldsarge
.300 member

Reged: 07/02/05
Loc: SoCal Borderlands
      #32290 - 29/05/05 09:41 AM

Winchester M70 in .375 H&H that has been properly tuned by a very competant smith wearing a Leupold 1.5x5 on QD mounts with a spare scope.

One gun to rule them all, one gun to find them . . .

--------------------
Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle!

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: Pottsy]
      #32292 - 29/05/05 09:58 AM

Pottsy

"the only draw back with doing this way was I cant run anything over 293
which is not a really bad thing since the 9.3x64 seems to do best with 260+ Grain
bullets and seems to fall away at around 290+ grains."

I have to differ - the 9.3 x 64B is great with 320gn bullets - it adds additional punch
to the 286gn bullets.

The 320gn, although designed for a double rifle works well on large game incl DG.

It is not designed to shoot to 300 - 400 metres.

500 Nitro

Pottsy
.224 member

Reged: 28/05/05
Loc: Oregon Coos Bay
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: 500Nitro]
      #32294 - 29/05/05 01:04 PM

500Nitro : Wrote

I have to differ - the 9.3 x 64B is great with 320gn bullets - it adds additional punch
to the 286gn bullets.

The 320gn, although designed for a double rifle works well on large game incl DG.

----------------------------------------------------
While all this is well and good the Springfield i use as a work gun does not and can not chamber up a bullet that is that long unless i want to drop the powder charge down to the point were it serves no purpose to shoot the rifle
The springfield action is not long eoungh to handle long bullets that was my point .
My other 9.3x64 B can handle heavier bullets but what i have been shooting with it for 30 years are Couger and Elk
and neither game animals really require a bullet over 280 grains to kill which is why i use a diffrent rifle to hunt in the brush.
I use my GS for the brush .Its short and quick to point up
and i make 300 grain thin walled jacketed for those light skinned game .

Were i live there is no need for heavy weight bullet in my 9.3x64 all i every hunt with them are the coastal deer and couger and Elk.
If i were to go on a real DG hunt for african Lion i dont know if even then i would use a heavy bullets in my 9.3x64
the PH's i have talked to dont seem to think its required
and i make and sell them my bullets
Last person i made 9.3's for was Bill Warren and although i have not heard back yet from him it seems he likes a smaller weigh .
But then again i have not have the fun of hunting in africa
so i will leave it to those that have .

Thanks for the feed back 500Nitro

Ed Hubel said he would post up some picture of my .700 diameter bullets i made for him would that be ok if on a diffrent post i put up those pictures ?

Thanks again for letting on the board guys.
P.S

500Nitro wrote :

----------------------------------------------
Thats why i make a 280 grain rebaited boattail
although it may not be a super long range bullet it does lenghten out the distance a person can shoot

Once again guys thanks for letting me post up on your board

--------------------
Owner PA Bullet's

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
      #32499 - 01/06/05 12:06 AM

I have a Husqvarna Mauser 96 in 9.3X62mm with standard open sights. Good Sellier & Belloit and Igman rounds can be purchased in the USA for about $20 a box. I've hunted with a lot of different calibers and the more I use this rifle the more I like it. It is accurate and hits very hard for a moderate velocity rifle. I haven't been discouraged by the recoil...in fact I enjoy shooting the cartridge. I have around $700 in the rifle with a complete restoration job. I know this is an odd caliber for North America but you can buy a CZ for less than $500 over the Internet. If you plan to go to Africa a .375 is probably a better choice because of regulations in many areas. But next time I'm going to take the 9.3 and use it for everything but big buffalo.

Bighammer
.275 member

Reged: 14/06/05
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #33124 - 15/06/05 05:28 PM

Winchester Mod 70 Classic Stainless, .375 H&H, Schmidt & Bender 1.5-6 x 42 Zenith scope in Leupold quick release mounts.

There are better finished rifles around but they cost an arm and a leg!

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: Bighammer]
      #33224 - 17/06/05 01:03 AM

I've heard several gunsmiths claim that the new Model 70's have outstanding triggers...perhaps among the best of any production rifle.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #33254 - 17/06/05 10:32 AM

Could be any of the following:

1. The one you shoot best with
2. The one gifted to you by someone you love - your father or wife
3. The one you admire and want to have but cannot afford (kind of like wanting a supermodel or actress as a mistress)

I know the best rifle in the world in my opinion. It is a single shot 22 lr with a side swinging block that belonged to my closest friend and childhood hunting buddy from about twenty five years ago. He left India never to return and I bought the rifle from his mother just before I moved to the USA. I don't have it with me, but it is a reminder of my boyhood and a fantastic one at that. I don't think there is a better rifle in the world!

Cheers.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Marty
.300 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Darwin. NT, Australia
      #33304 - 18/06/05 12:07 AM

Bunnies to Elephant.

And cheap too...

Guess that counts out Mike 378's $4000 375RUM, much less the $13000 Weatherby in .460.

The worlds a big place. Calibre choice (therefore ammo availability) needs to be considered.

mehulkamdr says the one you shoot best with. Trouble is if I shoot well with it, and everyone else in the world doesnt, it is hardly the best rifle in the world, is it?

I would say, that I can get 30/06 ammo in just about every country. I would say I can shoot a rabbit and get a feed off it with a 30/06 if I hit it right. I would think I could drop an Elephant with a 30/06 if I hit it right. I'm thinking I need a good size magazine if I'm going to not do that.

I'm actually leaning to the BAR. Its neither fish nor fowl but in the context of the question I'm not thinking of a whole lot of other answers. Trouble is its probably not legal in a lot of places, and the price puts it in Mikes league I suspect.

So a Rem 7600 in 30/06 with a detachable 10 round Box mag and a low powered scope. $800 2nd hand tops. Bunnies (just) to Ele (just). And I can get ammo at the Rabbit Flat roadhouse, or the local sports store in Niger.

--------------------

jro45
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/03
Loc: DE, USA
      #33350 - 18/06/05 11:55 PM

My Sako 375 Hunter I'd say that this rifle would be an all round rifle and it isn't a arm and a leg cost. So I could say it would classify as worlds best. My 338 Rem Ultra Mag.
Would also classify as worlds best.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: Marty]
      #33691 - 23/06/05 02:18 PM

Marty,

If you shot well with a rifle and called it the best in the world, I would believe you.

What was it about never criticising someone else's gun, dog or wife (in that order)?

Good hunting!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

WyoJoe
.300 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Cheyenne, WY USA
      #33695 - 23/06/05 02:49 PM

My vote would definitely go for the .375 H&H. You can get ammo for it just about anywhere. Like Old Sarge says "one planet, one rifle". It will take anything. I have one built on an Interarms Mark X action. It is the one I want in my hands when & if I ever get to go for buffalo in Africa.

If I was doing it all over again and didn't have the Interarms action I would go with the CZ 550 and a good synthetic stock.

--------------------
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #33697 - 23/06/05 02:56 PM

I not too long ago bought a Husqvarna Husky Dlx in 7X57 Ackley. It is without a doubt the best shooting rifle I have ever owned; there have been about 100+ cycle through my hands or get to stay here... I am constantly trading and upgrading... It is the only way I'd ever get to play with all these neat toys on my budget.

I bought the rifle from my pawnbroker buddy for $200.00 out the door, sales tax and Brady check included. It was topped off with a Leupold VariX 3X9. I brought it home and fire formed twenty brass, then neck sized them with my 7X57 I.C.L. Tortilla dies, loaded my pet I.C.L. load and shot 100 yard five shot ragged holes! This little wonder shoots far better than I do. I used it this last August and took an antelope (pronghorn) at 330 yards. I was meat hunting and tried a neck shot...made a neck shot.

Now, tell me that this Husky isn't the world's best rifle; you'll never convince me otherwise.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Balaso
.224 member

Reged: 22/06/05
      #33949 - 27/06/05 04:20 PM

Carl Gustav 6.5.55 cost peanuts, very reliable and allows heaps of newcomers to enjoy the game.

I guess that for many the best will be the one that they can afford and will give them heaps of satisfaccion.

At the end how many of you would like to have 20 different best favorites rifles in the safe???

Happy shooting

Paatti
.333 member

Reged: 18/01/07
Loc: Finland
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: Balaso]
      #172812 - 09/12/10 04:41 AM

Best allround rifle is definitely Finnish M28-30 "Pystykorva". Accurate, reliable and good looking.
Caliber 7,62x53R is one of the best allround calibers. And if you cant find one you can always buy M39 "Ukko-Pekka" which is allmost evenly good.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: Paatti]
      #172824 - 09/12/10 11:41 AM

I thought I'd revive this fun, old topic vi our Facebook page and get some of our Facebook members to participate in this old discussion. So far we have two responses:

Jim Gross (Yes, the television personality): The bolt-action is the best rifle in the world. It possesses the overall qualities that put it there: true long range accuracy - doubles, singles, autos & pumps don't have this; repeating action - doubles are faster through TWO shots but bolts often hold five rounds, pumps & autos hold an advantage here; they can shoot all but the HUGEST calibers, while autos & pumps come nowhere near this. Oh, BTW, even though I've owned my share of doubles, I've been a pre-64 Model 70 guy since Hector was a pup!

Beau Williams: Depends on the purpose. Holland and Holland 500 Double for elephants, 408 Cheytac for terrorists, 340 Weatherby for Elk, Cooper 20 VT for varmints.....

May the discussion continue!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #172828 - 09/12/10 03:27 PM

The best rifle in the world ? It's the one you have in your hand when you need it.

My MkX 458 WM has filled that bill for me on all too many occasions so would be my pick

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Edited by CptCurl (10/12/10 11:36 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: 458Win]
      #172845 - 10/12/10 02:21 AM

I'm with Phil's philosophy - the 'best' rifle has to be your 'friend'. For me - it's this one - favourite for just over 30 years and 15,000 rounds in .458 2". settled on 51.5gr. H4198 400gr. Barnes Spitzer W/.049" jackets, 2,160fps. It was also my head-shooting grouse rifle - 15gr. AL8 and a 230 Speer Swaged - on the post at 25 yards.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by CptCurl (10/12/10 11:36 PM)

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #172849 - 10/12/10 04:03 AM

Best?

For me, there are 2.
And I own them both.

But I should be a mature adult about this.

Both made on Mausers.
One in 270 Winchester, and one in 375H&H.
Naa na na nA NAAA naaa.

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: szihn]
      #172856 - 10/12/10 05:52 AM

For me there are the ones in my safe, and they are there because they are the best in every respect for what I need them to do.However if I had to nail my flag to a mast it would have to be with my 7x57 built on a 1908 DWM. Aperture sighted with a 160gn cast boolit at 2415fps on the little stuff up to Fallow, with the 160gn Woodliegh at 2700fps for a the larger ones. Have a scope in qd rings to suit a 120GS Custom at 3235fps for a bit of range. Yeah I could do it all if I had to with my 7x57.

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Edited by VonGruff (10/12/10 05:53 AM)

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: VonGruff]
      #172868 - 10/12/10 11:09 AM

In my case the choice has to be a muzzle loading rifle. This is based on the fact that I can hunt with a muzzle loader in every county in Virginia, but centerfire guns are subject to a patchwork quilt of regulations. Some counties prohibit shotgun slugs but allow buckshot, some places prohibit buckshot but allow slugs, some counties prohibit centerfire rifles, some allow centerfire rifles. It's a mess. But I can use my muzzle loader everywhere, all the time. That's what I do too, use the muzzle loader all season long.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: Tatume]
      #172890 - 10/12/10 11:34 PM

Quote:

In my case the choice has to be a muzzle loading rifle. This is based on the fact that I can hunt with a muzzle loader in every county in Virginia, but centerfire guns are subject to a patchwork quilt of regulations. Some counties prohibit shotgun slugs but allow buckshot, some places prohibit buckshot but allow slugs, some counties prohibit centerfire rifles, some allow centerfire rifles. It's a mess. But I can use my muzzle loader everywhere, all the time. That's what I do too, use the muzzle loader all season long.

You should move west of the Blue Ridge!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 28571

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com