Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Equivalent Blue Dot load for a 12 Bore double rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
8borerifle
.275 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Ohio,USA
Equivalent Blue Dot load for a 12 Bore double rifle
      #302738 - 05/07/17 09:16 PM

I have a 12 Bore heavy English double rifle (13 pounds and regulated for 7 Drams) What would be the equivalent Blue Dot load for 7 Drams? What should I start out with when using a round ball? Thanks for your help!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Equivalent Blue Dot load for a 12 Bore double rifle [Re: 8borerifle]
      #302745 - 06/07/17 02:07 AM

Using plastic, brass or paper shells - 3" I suspect, or 2 3/4"?

What size & weight of round ball?

What wads?

What is the velocity of a 7 dram black powder load with the projectile you are going to use, so you can make up equivalent loads in smokeless powder.

You need this data so you can approach it from below.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

8borerifle
.275 member

Re: Equivalent Blue Dot load for a 12 Bore double rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #302748 - 06/07/17 03:37 AM

Hi Daryl, thanks for your help! It is a 3" chambered rifle. I plan on using plastic cases with a hard over powder wad and fiber wads till the round ball. The .736 round ball weighs about 600 grains. The twist is rather fast at 1/58" I am guessing the velocity would be about 1600 fps. I used to shoot 8 Bore double rifles when I was younger and never tried Blue Dot. I could take the recoil then. Health reasons dictate I try smokeless to tame the recoil. I appreciate your advice!

CommandCar
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/10
Loc: East Coast, USA
Re: Equivalent Blue Dot load for a 12 Bore double rifle [Re: 8borerifle]
      #303181 - 22/07/17 09:07 AM

I'd look at 1 3/8 oz shot loads with Blue Dot from the manuals. Pressure generally drops when a solid is replaced for loose shot. Try this link there are a couple of 1 3/8 oz loads using Blue Dot that may be a good place to start.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/r...=3&gauge=12

I have a Blue Dot load for my paradox that uses 34 grains of Blue Dot and a .735 gr slug. I get about 1,070 fps a few feet from the muzzle. In a .727 full choke pressure gun it produced about 2 3/4 tons of pressure (safe in a Ball & Shot) but velocity was 1,185 fps. You can look at the old post here:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post170222

If you are sure of the original projectile (and have them) and the gun is in unaltered condition, you should be able to start low and go until the barrels group together. I'm sure you know bore guns cross and shoot low when velocity is too low & will shoot high and apart when overloaded.

Good luck sounds like a fun project. Be safe and get help if you think you need it.

CC

8borerifle
.275 member

Re: Equivalent Blue Dot load for a 12 Bore double rifle [Re: CommandCar]
      #303189 - 22/07/17 10:14 PM

Thanks CommandCar, will try after I get my GREEN pool straightened out! Back in the middle 1970's I owned a Holland and Holland 12 Bore under lever hammer double rifle in it's original oak and leather case that was marked for a 4 1/4" brass case and 10 drams! It weighed just over 16 pounds and was almost unfired. The charge card in the case also verified the charge and case length. An original conical mold was also in the case.A Holland factory letter said it was made for an Ali Beg! Sadly I needed money and sold it to Gary Herman at Safari Outfitters. Never did get to shoot it! Herman sold it to a guy named English, who I talked to about shooting it. He said it was very load but the velocity was not much more than a lighter load. A single shot in that loading was also made by Hollands. Thanks again!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4248

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com