Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Gloves on safari or when hunting?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Gloves on safari or when hunting?
      #300003 - 04/05/17 12:18 AM

Just commented on Boddington's Extreme West and Central African hunting article on another thread. One of the thing he mentions is some equipment he always takes on hunts or safaris and included in the photo and list is gloves.

Now I have seen gloves mentioned as essentil many times on the internet, forums, articles, safari photos. Tried to take and use a pair of gloves on one safari and very quickly left them in camp, as I found them a nuisance and un-needed. Not worth carrying and in the way when worn.

I do understand they may be useful if moving thorn bush branches out of the way, or if crawling along the ground, but especially with the crawling part, never found them necessary compared to just bare hands. As for having them on when trying to shoot, a total pain in the arse. On a different continent and different sort of hunt, found warm gloves essential in Norway, as waiting in the cold, hands would realyy start to hurt if bare. Learned to my detriment, that shooting mittens are better which can be folded back, or where the glove has the shooting finger slot, when trying to remove a glove while a moose looked at me, running just as I raised the rifle ... meant a moose lost due to the slowness of removing a glove.

Different circumstances and no doubt all of NE's Northern climate members know all about it for decades. But if dealing with gloves for safari or similar hunts, interested in what members think. Are they necessary, very useful, not needed, what are you thoughts? Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
Re: Gloves on safari or when hunting? [Re: NitroX]
      #300007 - 04/05/17 12:40 AM

I almost always carry fingerless gloves when I go hunting. They keep your hands warm when a cold gun would otherwise numb them. They are great when crawling on the ground. A leather pair will keep your hand from slipping and from chaffing when supporting the forearm over a rock or tree. With the fingers free you can still grasp things as usual, including cartridges, and you will have true finger to trigger control.

Sometimes I will wear a fingerless glove on the forearm hand but keep my trigger hand ungloved. If it is very cold I will wear a full glove on my forearm hand and a fingerless glove on my trigger hand.

I believe one should always have a pair of some type of gloves when afield, even if they are only a light pair. They don't take up much space or add much weight. Gloves are one of those things you don't miss until you need them and then you REALLY miss them.

--------------------
~

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: Gloves on safari or when hunting? [Re: NitroX]
      #300008 - 04/05/17 12:43 AM

I always have a pair in my backpack. Mostly Green Mechanics gloves or supper light leather shooting gloves.

Keeps hands warm in the morning and evening. Protects against thorns, razor grass and such. Great for ground/butt scooting. Wear when I end up cutting my hands up when I should have been wearing them.

I never leave for a hunt without knee pads and gloves.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Gloves on safari or when hunting? [Re: Grenadier]
      #300009 - 04/05/17 12:45 AM

I have a pair of wood gloves for ML shooting in the winter time.

The last digit of the index finger and thumb are bared on the right glove, the left is whole. I need the fingers for increased dexterity when loading, ie: handling balls and patches.

For hunting, I have a pair of thin camo wool gloves with little rubber knobs on the palms. These seem to work just fine for my modern guns.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Gloves on safari or when hunting? [Re: DarylS]
      #300031 - 04/05/17 03:53 AM

Finger less mittens for me to warm cold hands and to take the shine off the back of your hand which if on the sunny side will reflect light/movement like a mirror to wary game.VERY important.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Gloves on safari or when hunting? [Re: gryphon]
      #300035 - 04/05/17 07:26 AM

I always hunt with a pair of Stony Creek finger-less gloves. The have a suede palm and make carrying the gun much more pleasant as well as being good in brush. I find they don't interfere at all and they stop your hands being as noticeable if you move them. In winter I use full gloves again with a thin grippy rubber palm and fingers. I wouldn't hunt without them.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: Gloves on safari or when hunting? [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #300040 - 04/05/17 08:04 AM

Not for the sort of hunting I normally do. Have had some guys put them on for the early morning open Toyota drive to the hunting area and at times wished I had had them for that but would expect to be ribbed mercilessly if I put a pair on and deservedly so.

cordite
.333 member

Reged: 29/01/07
Loc: NW Montana
Re: Gloves on safari or when hunting? [Re: Claydog]
      #300048 - 04/05/17 12:21 PM

+1 for fingerless gloves. Surprisingly warm and don't interfere with shooting. Of course I hunt in cold country.

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Gloves on safari or when hunting? [Re: cordite]
      #300050 - 04/05/17 03:19 PM

You might change your mind hunting up on the top during winter at home here CD. No ribbing either.
Deer tracks in the foreground crossing the ridge from one valley to the next.

--------------------

Viking338
.333 member

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #300058 - 04/05/17 08:03 PM

I wear what they call "Framers" gloves on a cold morning out pig busting. They have the thumb and index fingers out but the others are covered. A very good compromise I reckon, quick reloading control but still keep my little pinky warm

Edited by Viking338 (04/05/17 08:04 PM)

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Gloves on safari or when hunting? [Re: Viking338]
      #300059 - 04/05/17 09:00 PM

For cold condition hunting around home, I use American Elk Skin gloves as they can be used ok whilst working a rifle.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Gloves on safari or when hunting? [Re: ozhunter]
      #300067 - 05/05/17 01:48 AM

Everyone focuses on cold conditions where obviously gloves have an obvious purposes. Most of the emphasis of the opening post was about gloves in Africa. And what people use them there for there, or whether they are necessary or not for individuals?

Forget about the cold places. When the frost is settling around you waiting for a moose, warm gloves are not questionable. Still good to have a finger slit for the trigger though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Gloves on safari or when hunting? [Re: Grenadier]
      #300069 - 05/05/17 02:07 AM

Quote:

I almost always carry fingerless gloves when I go hunting. They keep your hands warm when a cold gun would otherwise numb them. They are great when crawling on the ground. A leather pair will keep your hand from slipping and from chaffing when supporting the forearm over a rock or tree. With the fingers free you can still grasp things as usual, including cartridges, and you will have true finger to trigger control.

Sometimes I will wear a fingerless glove on the forearm hand but keep my trigger hand ungloved. If it is very cold I will wear a full glove on my forearm hand and a fingerless glove on my trigger hand.

I believe one should always have a pair of some type of gloves when afield, even if they are only a light pair. They don't take up much space or add much weight. Gloves are one of those things you don't miss until you need them and then you REALLY miss them.

AGREE 100%--

I always have a pair of some sort along..usually finger less when I am bow hunting--to cover the shinny white hands..

Early morning hunts here are usually a bit on the cool side in the mountains..--keep on a thin pair of shooting gloves usually during the day while out hiking/hunting..

While hunting in Kyrgyzstan and Azerbaijan it was really cold high up..especially in Kyrgyzstan..November--even with gloves on my fingers froze a bit one morning..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Gloves on safari or when hunting? [Re: Ripp]
      #300082 - 05/05/17 06:42 AM

Good for lots of things, should have 2 pair with you, thin camo or even mesh (pair or each) for cover & thicker fingerless for warmth, thicker Mittens if going extreme !

Gets bloody freezing in lots of Africa to, frozen many times in leopard blinds & rocks, even ambushing Hippos nearly froze my toes & Bits off !

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Gloves on safari or when hunting? [Re: Sarg]
      #300084 - 05/05/17 07:36 AM

Went up the back yesty arvo into the bush edge. Righteo a check list as I drove up the hill.

Rifle/ammo/knives/steel/camera/camo jacket/hat/veil/headtorch/tripod blah blah ah fuck I left my mittens home ffs.
They are green fleece with palm pads and very effective.

I didn't have time to go back for them and as I was going to be sitting on the eastern side I was in the sunlight till the sun dipped behind the mount. I was extremely conscious of my white mirror hands as I was bino-ing so I pulled my sleeves down as good as possible.

As late as you want my dog had been advising through his body attitude that there was 'something" and getting closer too as we had a good falling cold air stream in our face.
I had watched/looked/scanned for ages and put him to be scenting a fox or a dog..he LOVES foxes btw.
Then fuck me I saw spikes moving towards me but behind a big log,the spikey must have been in the swampy cutting sags the whole bloody time and only came out on dark.

I waited till he drew level with me, I had already commanded the dog to come behind and rolled him over DOTS.
No big deal just a nice evening with a 1/2 mile walk back to the ute and back for a full body retrieval.

Anyway it was a "gloves off" evening.

This wobbly pic below demonstrates the lateness of the evening shot and why its worth 'staying put' instead of giving up too early.

--------------------

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
      #300123 - 05/05/17 09:23 PM

I wear fingerless gloves about 50% of the time. Mainly for sun protection on the backs of the hands.

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

Ripp
.577 member

#300127 - 05/05/17 10:57 PM

Quote:

Went up the back yesty arvo into the bush edge. Righteo a check list as I drove up the hill.

Rifle/ammo/knives/steel/camera/camo jacket/hat/veil/headtorch/tripod blah blah ah fuck I left my mittens home ffs.
They are green fleece with palm pads and very effective.

I didn't have time to go back for them and as I was going to be sitting on the eastern side I was in the sunlight till the sun dipped behind the mount. I was extremely conscious of my white mirror hands as I was bino-ing so I pulled my sleeves down as good as possible.

As late as you want my dog had been advising through his body attitude that there was 'something" and getting closer too as we had a good falling cold air stream in our face.
I had watched/looked/scanned for ages and put him to be scenting a fox or a dog..he LOVES foxes btw.
Then fuck me I saw spikes moving towards me but behind a big log,the spikey must have been in the swampy cutting sags the whole bloody time and only came out on dark.

I waited till he drew level with me, I had already commanded the dog to come behind and rolled him over DOTS.
No big deal just a nice evening with a 1/2 mile walk back to the ute and back for a full body retrieval.

Anyway it was a "gloves off" evening.

This wobbly pic below demonstrates the lateness of the evening shot and why its worth 'staying put' instead of giving up too early.

Great Job---thx for posting..
apparently gloves were NOT needed...

Ripp

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#300144 - 06/05/17 05:55 AM

No they were not "needed" but as you know Art the gloves are invaluable for hunting wary species.

Those mountain goat species you hunt have hawk eyes and I can imagine them picking up some un gloved white hands across a gully fairly easily.

And yes I may have rolled the spikey but one never knows if the glove less hands alerted Mr Big watching from the bush,or more so the hinds,they have ESP the bastards.

These deer will frig about for an hour back up from the bush edge waiting till its right and if they see "something" whatever that may be that`s not kosher they just wont come out.
When the lead hind reckons its all cool they will stream out like Browns cows. I watched 18 come out like cattle getting through a gate into a fresh paddock literally run out.

Even though it is now May there are deer still only a third grown in the velvet department,that is oft the case for big stags but not the smaller jobs..climate change?

I was really pissed with not having my gloves anyway ha ha.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #300149 - 06/05/17 08:01 AM

Shining faces are worse than hands - or, at least as bad - especially when goose hunting.

I saw a picture once taken from a helicopter flying over a duck marsh.
Some hunters were as visible as if shining spot lights at the helicopter - their faces were very brightly lit by the day light - sun or not.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #300157 - 06/05/17 10:48 AM

I always have a pair of pilots gloves, now better known as Nomex tactical gloves/gauntlets. Protects the hands and wrist when hunting in outback Qld in summer. Climbing over hot rocks is no fun at the best of times let alone when your hands are getting burnt. Didn't take them to Zim for my late season hunt and should of. Bum scooting on bloody hot gravel is not fun at all.

If cold they help keep the hands warm and functioning, wear heavier gloves if bloody freezing

The pilot type allow you to still load and unload, work the bolt and reload. Yes it is easier without them but can easily be done.

Ripp
.577 member

#300160 - 06/05/17 11:11 AM

Quote:

Shining faces are worse than hands - or, at least as bad - especially when goose hunting.

I saw a picture once taken from a helicopter flying over a duck marsh.
Some hunters were as visible as if shining spot lights at the helicopter - their faces were very brightly lit by the day light - sun or not.

Being a former "goose hunter" I fully agree...also true bow hunting..always have camo on my face..one form or another..whether hunting whitetail or elk..also use it when calling in predators..

Ripp

--------------------

CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
      #300170 - 06/05/17 06:06 PM

Just annoying. No use for gloves when hunting unless its cold.

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Gloves on safari or when hunting? [Re: CarlsenHighway]
      #300173 - 06/05/17 07:29 PM

Quote:

Just annoying. No use for gloves when hunting unless its cold.

Yeah you know.

Isn't there 1/2 a dozen NZ mobs making hunting gloves for your mob?

--------------------

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
      #300204 - 07/05/17 10:52 PM

I have limited Africa experience. I took a think pair of leather gloves on both of my trips and kept them in my backpack on the truck. I didn't need them, but have read reports of people getting the rare snowfall in South Africa. I was in warmer regions.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: Gloves on safari or when hunting? [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #300234 - 08/05/17 08:56 PM

I also always wear a Recon Wrap around my left wrist. To wiper sweat out of my eyes or pull off and put over my face for the final stalk. Learnt that from Peter Flack.

http://www.specopsbrand.com/apparel/recon-wrap.html

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8240

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com