Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Travel to New Zealand

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Travel

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
cordite
.300 member

Reged: 29/01/07
Loc: NW Montana
Travel to New Zealand
      #292809 - 30/12/16 07:36 AM

My wife and I have been wanting to make a trip to New Zealand for a long time. Now making plans to go in 2018. I'm just starting to do some research and thought I would post here.

We plan to stay the better part of a month to see and experience as much as we can. Mainly want to hike and see the country. Don't want to spend much time in cities. I grew up on a farm so I am more interested in seeing how rural folks live. Will be on a budget so not likely to spend much time in fancy lodges or doing any hunting.

Is there a best time of year to go? We are thinking of sometime around February to April. Any downside to that time of year? Any suggestions as to must see places or places to avoid. I'm sure I will learn much what we need to know as we do more research but I thought the good folks on this forum might have some different perspectives and be more in tune with what outdoor people like us would find interesting. Of course directions to a gunshop with lots of old guns to fondle would be welcome too!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Travel to New Zealand [Re: cordite]
      #292812 - 30/12/16 07:48 AM

Ah yes NZ`s South Island is a place of fantastic-ness(?) fly into the North Island perhaps, then drive down the island to the inter island ferry at Wellington take your vehicle on the ferry to the Sth Island then drive to Christchurch and then drive across to the west coast via Arthurs Pass.

From there head south to Queenstown taking the incredible scenery in before you take a cruise into Fiordland. Hows that?
You will be able to see the glaciers/ mountains right in your windscreen,its awesome! Fox and Franz Joseph glaciers are right in your face and a quick walk will have you spellbound.
Chopper flights are as readily available as taxi cabs. In fact you will see more private choppers parked on farms than probably anywhere else.
The Kiwi boys will proudly give you lots more.

PS You wont want to go home!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Daryl_S
.577 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Travel to New Zealand [Re: gryphon]
      #292818 - 30/12/16 10:49 AM

Tracy and I have spoken of a weeks-long trip to Australia and New Zealand. Time will tell.

--------------------
Daryl

"a rifle without hammers, is like a Spaniel without ears" Edward VII

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #292822 - 30/12/16 12:57 PM

What Gryph said. Also most chopper pilots are good to talk to for hunting spots -helie drop in of cours -as they work with a lot of the guides.

From the Fiordland keep heading south to Invercargill, take a ferry across to Stewart Island. Have Lunch in the Oban and meet the locals. A very friendly crowd, they looked after a couple of mates rifles while they went and booked a boat back to Invercargill as flights cancelled due to weather.

Oh and mind the Kea's a largish parrot that will stalk you, chew on anything it can and walks with a hop like the crow in the bugs bunny cartoons.

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Travel to New Zealand [Re: Daryl_S]
      #292825 - 30/12/16 02:12 PM

Quote:

Tracy and I have spoken of a weeks-long trip to Australia and New Zealand. Time will tell.

Thats an oops moment D!

A week? No way from Canada Daryl..absolutely no way,you would be in either country one and a half days each and jet lagged!

--------------------

Ripp
.470 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #292826 - 30/12/16 02:18 PM

I absolutely plan to head that way in the not too distant future as well, but I DO want to hunt while there..in both New Zealand and Australia...

Think that is a great trip to bring the women on ...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Daryl_S
.577 member

#292829 - 30/12/16 03:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thats an oops moment D!

A week? No way from Canada Daryl..absolutely no way,you would be in either country one and a half days each and jet lagged!

yeah - oops - maybe, unless you think like me - weeks as in plural, as in more than one or two inside ea. country.

--------------------
Daryl

greenshoots
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: uk
      #292837 - 30/12/16 06:31 PM

we are planning for next year spending 2-3 weeks as we understand it their autumn is the best time less touristy, if you look at the new zealnd tourist website it has plenty of info

greenshoots

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Travel to New Zealand [Re: greenshoots]
      #292838 - 30/12/16 07:06 PM

Daryl apols if I misconstrued..but you`ll love it so much that you will want (need?) two weeks in each.

We like Canucks downunder.

--------------------

Ripp
.470 member

#292845 - 31/12/16 01:15 AM

Quote:

Daryl apols if I misconstrued..but you`ll love it so much that you will want (need?) two weeks in each.

HEY, HEY, HEY....Where's the love for us Montanan's????

Ripp

--------------------

Daryl_S
.577 member

#292857 - 31/12/16 05:16 AM

LOL - no offense taken - life is too short not to get around a bit now we're more or less freed from work and family obligations. This is our first winter with both of us retired - going to Hawaii, the big island in January, for a couple weeks, then to Uma for another couple weeks (I think) in Feb. - that should get us closer to "break-up" (spring) here.
Next year, supposed to be Spain (not sure on that one - will have to test the 'tides') - after that - down-under, if still around.

--------------------
Daryl

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Travel to New Zealand [Re: Ripp]
      #292859 - 31/12/16 05:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp

All cool with hunting Montanans too

--------------------

lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
      #292860 - 31/12/16 06:22 AM

Well, if you want to hunt stuff you'll probably want to think carefully about when you pop down here. All 3 main islands (North, South and Stewart) have populations of Red deer. Wild Sika and Rusa are found in the North Island. Whitetails are the predominant species on Stewart (the smallest of the 3 main islands). Wild Fellow can be found at various places in both the North and South Islands. Chamois and Tahr (Thar) are confined to the South Island and in the case of Tahr predominantly to the central South Island (there is a mountain chain that runs up the middle of the South Island - the Southern Alps and the Department of Conservation has attempted to limit the range of Tahr both north and south.) For the most part (I think there are some local conventions around the hunting of Rusa and Wapiti (Fiordland) but generally speaking animals can be hunted at any time of the year. However, if you want Chamois or Thar in their prime, you'll want to visit in the cooler months over Autumn and Winter. Red deer rut in March-April (the beginning of Autumn). Tahr and chamois hunting, on foot, in the Southern Alps is a serious business not to be taken lightly, particularly over the Winter months). There is plenty of online info about hunting in NZ.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/things-to-do/hunting/what-to-hunt/tahr/

Daryl_S
.577 member

Re: Travel to New Zealand [Re: lonewulf]
      #292861 - 31/12/16 06:36 AM

Pretty good summary, lonewulf.

While a pig hunt/shoot might be fun, I'm kind of more interested in fishing. Be nice to catch a Baramundi or two. Anyone got a fly rod I can borrow?

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.470 member

Re: Travel to New Zealand [Re: lonewulf]
      #292865 - 31/12/16 07:14 AM

Quote:

Well, if you want to hunt stuff you'll probably want to think carefully about when you pop down here. All 3 main islands (North, South and Stewart) have populations of Red deer. Wild Sika and Rusa are found in the North Island. Whitetails are the predominant species on Stewart (the smallest of the 3 main islands). Wild Fellow can be found at various places in both the North and South Islands. Chamois and Tahr (Thar) are confined to the South Island and in the case of Tahr predominantly to the central South Island (there is a mountain chain that runs up the middle of the South Island - the Southern Alps and the Department of Conservation has attempted to limit the range of Tahr both north and south.) For the most part (I think there are some local conventions around the hunting of Rusa and Wapiti (Fiordland) but generally speaking animals can be hunted at any time of the year. However, if you want Chamois or Thar in their prime, you'll want to visit in the cooler months over Autumn and Winter. Red deer rut in March-April (the beginning of Autumn). Tahr and chamois hunting, on foot, in the Southern Alps is a serious business not to be taken lightly, particularly over the Winter months). There is plenty of online info about hunting in NZ.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/things-to-do/hunting/what-to-hunt/tahr/

Thank you Lonewulf..

Really nice of you to put this info together..appreciate it..

Best Wishes for 2017

Ripp

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #292872 - 31/12/16 11:09 AM

Quote:

Pretty good summary, lonewulf.

While a pig hunt/shoot might be fun, I'm kind of more interested in fishing. Be nice to catch a Baramundi or two. Anyone got a fly rod I can borrow?

Daryl you obviously want a small Barra, not one of those that are 1mt+ in length and and as thick as most peoples thigh around the middle

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Travel to New Zealand [Re: Rule303]
      #292877 - 31/12/16 11:57 AM

And you wont get a barra in NZ,top end Aussie only.

Where I caught my only barra`s (5) was a 3000 kilometre drive from my old home,something I dont do often!

--------------------

Ripp
.470 member

#292881 - 31/12/16 01:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp

All cool with hunting Montanans too

I eagerly await that sporting event...

Ripp

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Travel to New Zealand [Re: Ripp]
      #292882 - 31/12/16 01:40 PM

Montanans THAT HUNT then, smart arse! ha ha.

--------------------

Daryl_S
.577 member

#292886 - 31/12/16 03:45 PM

LOL - A short jaunt up to the north - maybe go fishing with

Mick? LOL

A meter sounds just about right - that's only 39 1/4".

--------------------
Daryl

gryphon
.450 member

#292891 - 31/12/16 05:13 PM

Daryl..here you go and its FREE..barra too..wild and isolated mate..NO BEARS!

http://www.aussiehousesitters.com.au/h/60012/cape-york-qld

--------------------

Daryl_S
.577 member

#292913 - 01/01/17 04:57 AM

Yeah - saw that! 4th Jan, - April - isn't that summer/spring? Say's wet season - guess I'll have to investigate more.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Travel to New Zealand [Re: cordite]
      #292915 - 01/01/17 05:23 AM

Quote:

My wife and I have been wanting to make a trip to New Zealand for a long time. Now making plans to go in 2018. I'm just starting to do some research and thought I would post here.

We plan to stay the better part of a month to see and experience as much as we can. Mainly want to hike and see the country. Don't want to spend much time in cities. I grew up on a farm so I am more interested in seeing how rural folks live. Will be on a budget so not likely to spend much time in fancy lodges or doing any hunting.

Is there a best time of year to go? We are thinking of sometime around February to April. Any downside to that time of year? Any suggestions as to must see places or places to avoid. I'm sure I will learn much what we need to know as we do more research but I thought the good folks on this forum might have some different perspectives and be more in tune with what outdoor people like us would find interesting. Of course directions to a gunshop with lots of old guns to fondle would be welcome too!

January and February are Winter so keep that in mind. Nothing compared to Montana though except maybe high in the mountains. February, March and April are good red and fallow deer hunting months and cover the ruts and after the rut periods. I hunted red stag in April when they are supposedly hungry after starving themselves after the rut.

NZ has a lot of public land hunting areas, relatively free, except for probably a permit, hunting licence etc and costs of getting into the country. Especially if you need a chopper ride to get in. Huts can be booked and organised which are relatively cheap. Kiwis can advise on all this more accurately.

There is a good NZ hunting forum, I forget what it is called and the web address. I normally don't encourage "rival" forums webaddresses on here, but it is a good one and lots of locals posting who often can be helpful.

Here it is:
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi

Note public land hunting is NOT as trophy successful as using an outfitter, ie much less chance of a good trophy especially deer. But that you hunt are legitimate free range true trophies. The huge deer one sees posted on the net from NZ are often farm bred or pen shot, or previously shot from a chopper. Kiwi hunters can spend many years hunting for a true legitimate red stag or fallow trophy. If one is fit enough tahr and chamois seem to have good potential. Sika too but also hard thick brush hunting.

I travelled through South Island in 1993, a long time ago! We hired a camper van for two weeks and drove around South Island, South and parallel of Christchurch area. Did not get much more North than that. Other than an outfitter red stag hunt in Central North Island, and Auckland. Perhaps if travelling there for four months, buy a camper van and sell it when you leave. Probably far cheaper if it is reliable.

Some places to visit:
North Island
- Rotorua hot springs;
- Auckland;
- Wellington the capital;
- lots of other NI locations which easy research will uncover.

South Island
- Christchurch;
- Arthur's Pass;
- Mt Cook;
- Methven;
- Fox glacier;
- the drive on the West Coast from Greymouth to Haast is worth doing;
- Queenstown and jet boating in the gorges;
- Fiordland;
- the Marlborough region in Northern SI, a wine growing area;
- Akaroa South of Christchurch is a pleasant "French" town in SI.

Stewart Island
- the most Southernest Island and sparest settled island, mostly unsettled. Main place for Whitetail deer.

A useful website:
http://www.newzealand.com/au/

If I was planning for a good tourist trip in NZ, a couple of weeks in North Island, and two to three weeks in South Island would be the minimum I would plan. Not including any hunting and fishing time.

Not a fisherman, but NZ is a mecca for fishermen and women. Also has good bird shooting during the right seasons.

Sounds like it will be a great long fun trip.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Travel to New Zealand [Re: NitroX]
      #292927 - 01/01/17 06:04 AM

I posted this as an answer on the wrong post!

So putting it here anyway.

It was a question of bringing firearms over to Australia. I posted thinking it was this NZ thread.

I would guess bringing some firearms with you to NZ would not be a difficult problem. Perhaps the four months might exceed a temporary firearms import requirement. Would have to research that one.

NZ has better firearms laws than Aust, so far at least, some rumbles from the antis recently over there. Semi auto firearms are legal etc. Some guys have military style firearms. Might require a special permit though.

Very low crime rates, the place is very safe, except for some Maori urban areas, Maori pubs etc.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: New Zealand Australia South A...
Re: Travel to New Zealand [Re: NitroX]
      #292951 - 01/01/17 10:08 AM

Quote:

low crime rates, the place is very safe, except for some Maori urban areas, Maori pubs etc.

Haha lol you can't say that in this day & age, no matter how ture it is, all travelers to NZ should watch the documentary - Once Were Warrior's - sorry I mean film ! Lol

--------------------
No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bastards die for their country.

- General George S. Patton

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1316

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com