Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery
      #291067 - 30/11/16 02:36 AM

One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery
By: Philip Massaro | August 2, 2016

The actual year that the .404 Jeffery was released is a source of debate and even argument among those who study cartridge history, and particularly African hunting cartridges. Most research will indicate that 1909 was the official release date, yet Phil Shoemaker — the famous brown bear guide from Alaska — has a rifle that dates back to 1907, clearly original and clearly chambered for the .404 Jeffery.

It doesn’t really matter; let’s agree that the latter portion of the first decade of the 20th century saw the .404 burst onto the scene. Its purpose was to replicate the ballistics of the steadfast .450/400 3-inch Nitro Express in a bolt-action rifle, and it worked. The bullet diameter was changed from .410” to .411” for the .450/400 to .423” for the .404 Jeffery — for reasons I can’t quite figure out — and the new case drove a 400-grain bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2,125 fps for 4,020 ft-lbs of energy, as well as a 300-grain copper pointed bullet at 2,625 fps, designed for long-range work. The .404 has an 8-degree shoulder; usually a cartridge that doesn’t feature a rim or a belt features a much more prominent shoulder in order to facilitate good headspacing. That said, I’ve never had a single problem with headspacing in the .404 Jeffery, and that slight shoulder allows the cartridge to feed like a dream — and that’s an important feature on any dangerous-game cartridge. While it became very popular among British rifle makers, it was also embraced by German rifle makers, designated as the 10.75x73mm.

That early muzzle velocity of 2,125 fps may seem sedate when compared to the .375 H&H Magnum or the .416 Rigby, which run at 2,550 fps with a 300-grain bullet and 2,410 fps with a 400-grain bullet, respectively. But it is enough to ensure reliable expansion and penetration with the standard cup-and-core softpoints and steel jacketed solids. All this in a cartridge that has, possibly, the mildest perceived recoil of any of the dangerous-game cartridges I’ve used. The combination of mild recoil and the ability to place those bullets where they need to be is tantamount to quickly dispatching game animals. It was so effective, in fact, that the game departments of both North and South Rhodesia (now Zambia and Zimbabwe), Tanzania and Kenya chose the Vickers bolt-action rifle chambered in .404 Jeffery as the standard-issue rifle. In my opinion, if it was good enough for those guys required to handle the problem animals, it is good enough for me. The .404 Jeffery has the distinction of taking what many consider to be the greatest North American trophy ever taken — the Chadwick ram — the world record stone sheep taken in British Columbia in 1936 by Dr. Chadwick.

The original .404 load quietly made a fantastic reputation among those who had the opportunity to use it on a daily basis — folks like John “Pondoro” Taylor, who in his classic book, African Rifles and Cartridges, would testify to the effectiveness of the Jeffery cartridge. But, that original load didn’t stick around for long. Kynoch bumped the muzzle velocity from 2,125 fps to 2,225 fps, also increasing the muzzle energy by almost 400 ft-lbs, recognizing the fact that the .404 Jeffery case was capable of more than what was being loaded. More about that in a minute…

The early part of the 20th century saw many great safari cartridges introduced; some would fade into obscurity and some would go on to become undeniable classics that few hunters would not insist on having in their collection. The .375 Holland & Holland Magnum certainly heads that list; it is perhaps the single most useful cartridge ever invented, and while it may not be perfect for everything, it will certainly get the job done on any game animal, anywhere. The writings of Robert Ruark brought the proprietary .416 Rigby into the spotlight, and I’d confidently say that without that book, the Rigby cartridge and the .416-inch bore diameter would’ve walked off into the sunset. The prestigious firm of Westley Richards answered the .404 Jeffery by releasing the .425 Westley Richards, using a .435” diameter bullet at 2,350 fps for just over 5,000 ft-lbs of energy. However, the severely rebated rim of the .425 didn’t give reliable extraction, so it didn’t gain a huge following, and is a rarity today.

The .450-400 3” NE was, and still is, a wonderful choice for a hunter, but the rimmed cartridge is usually reserved for the double rifles and single-shots; the former became very expensive to produce and the latter fell out of vogue until the advent of the Ruger No. 1 in the 1960s. By the middle of the 20th century, much of Africa had begun the plunge into political turmoil, and ammunition for many of the big double rifle calibers like the .450 NE and .470 NE became increasingly harder to find.

To fill the void, the .458 Winchester Magnum came on the scene in the 1950s in the affordable and reliable Winchester Model 70 bolt-action rifle, reproducing (at least in theory) the ballistics of the venerable .450 Nitro Express. For many years, a sportsman didn’t have much choice for a safari; you either grabbed a .375 or a .458. Still, there were those few who quietly hoarded .404 rifles and ammunition, using the vintage rifles with great effect on all shapes and sizes of game.

Editor’s Note: This article is an excerpt from Gun Digest 2017, 71st Edition.

http://www.gundigest.com/article/one-gun-to-hunt-them-all-the-historic-404-jeffery

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery [Re: NitroX]
      #291139 - 30/11/16 06:53 PM

HOW IRONIC...

I actually read this article while googling info for the .404 over the past weekend...Great minds??/ or not, at least in my case..

Think this is a truly great classic cartridge...would be a perfect rifle to take to Africa along with a good double..IMHO..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery [Re: Ripp]
      #291145 - 30/11/16 09:01 PM

I notice his rounds have the right bullet in them. Woodleigh Hydrostatic's

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery [Re: Rule303]
      #291194 - 01/12/16 07:21 AM

Quote:

I notice his rounds have the right bullet in them. Woodleigh Hydrostatic's

+1

Gundog01
.333 member

Reged: 16/05/15
Loc: Ohio usa
Re: One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery [Re: 93x64mm]
      #291198 - 01/12/16 07:57 AM

I recently picked up an original .404 Jeffery, I need to get some work done with it and may use it on deer this year, although overkill, practical practice makes perfect, and in all reality, I guess a .404 solid would do less meat damage then a expanding .303 from my Rigby Mauser.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery [Re: Gundog01]
      #291220 - 01/12/16 02:31 PM

G'Day Fella's,

The title says it all really!

A couple of weeks back, I suggested to Philip Massaro on Face Book, that he may want to log onto www.NitroExpress.com.
Not sure if Phil already was already on here or has since but I've read a few of his articles, and there a good read.

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery [Re: Homer]
      #291229 - 01/12/16 04:23 PM

Ha ha, I like the article but not the title.

Here is what Philip replied to me. Along with some other gibberish by me.

I was referred to the article by a friend. I had already seen it though anyway.

John - I've got a .404 Jeffery. Unfortunately not a vintage Mauser in some English maker brand, but a modern Mauser M03 and a .404 barrel for it.

I disagree with the title of the article. The .404 is too much to be the one gun rifle for everything on Earth. It has too much recoil for continual use and too damaging on small and medium game.

The .375 H&H Mag, still holds this position of great compromise.

Philip Massaro
The title wasn't mine, and I agree totally with your statement regarding the .375; I titled it "Old is not Dead".

I do think it is a perfect all-around big game hunting cartridge, and that it pairs well with the .375 H&H.

John
Bloody editors Philip!

Philip Massaro
Lol! They changed the title for the online article.

John
Not a bad adaption from the The Lord of the Rings book and movies.

John
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

John
Here's my attempt:
One for the Hunter on his hunter's seat.
One Gun to hunt them all. One Gun to finish them.
One Gun to bring them all down, and in the larder hang them!

More comments with me suggesting at the end we both have the same malady, ie too much recoil over too long a time.

Philip would fit in well here. It would be great if he joined in here.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

GPJ12345
.300 member

Reged: 18/08/12
Loc: South Africa
      #291264 - 02/12/16 06:55 AM

John
Yes, it seems Phillip does not know the facts about a 404 Jeffery, maybe he should take it out of the safe and hunt with it...
"It has too much recoil" The 404 Jeffery has the lowest chamber pressure of all the magnum rifles...you can shoot it the whole day...if you hunt plains game you can go lighter grain bullets..350 gn will work excellently...

"Too much damage to medium/small game" with a 400 gn bullet at 2050 f/s ...will not cause any accessible expansion ...medium/small game does not need to be hunted with heavy bullets if you think it will cause too much meat damage...I doubt it.....

Just my two cents... the 404 Jeffery is a caliber you can use to hunt from small game to dangerous game..just adjust your re-loading accordingly....

Regards

Gert

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery [Re: GPJ12345]
      #291269 - 02/12/16 08:51 AM

I think you will find there is not much argument about the release date any more. The 1909 myth has been completely debunked.

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Loc: Canada
Re: One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery [Re: Claydog]
      #291296 - 02/12/16 04:31 PM

Is there anyone who can identify the action used on the rifle in the picture?

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery [Re: Wanabebwana]
      #291297 - 02/12/16 04:50 PM

Looks like a Heym Express but I have been wrong numerous times before. Also the story mentions the .416 Rigby owing its popularity to Ruark's writing. This has always seemed a little surprising as it really doesn't get mentioned a lot. In Horn of the hunter Selby only uses it for back up on lions and is quoted as saying that that is all it can hit. He also shot some Hyenas that were becoming a nuisance. Ruark describes it as a dirty rusty looking 416 yet is credited with its popularity.

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Loc: Canada
      #291332 - 03/12/16 07:16 AM

Thanks Claydog. You are correct,it is a Heym Express.I would have recognized it from the left side, where the name is engraved.

Rule303
.416 member

#291337 - 03/12/16 08:20 AM

Claydog, long time since I have read Ruark. The description may actuary help as alot of people want to appear as if they have been around so a well worn rifle helps with that image. I also recall some body writing about Selby stepping in front of a charging Buff and dropping stone dead with one shot from his 416 to the brain. This may well of helped its latter popularity. I believe in the day only around 100 were made.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery [Re: GPJ12345]
      #291366 - 04/12/16 02:55 AM

Quote:

"It has too much recoil" The 404 Jeffery has the lowest chamber pressure of all the magnum rifles...you can shoot it the whole day...if you hunt plains game you can go lighter grain bullets..350 gn will work excellently...

"Too much damage to medium/small game" with a 400 gn bullet at 2050 f/s ...will not cause any accessible expansion ...medium/small game does not need to be hunted with heavy bullets if you think it will cause too much meat damage...I doubt it.....

Just my two cents...

My comments relate to it as a "one gun rifle". The .375 is still the king of that in my opinion.

The .404 has the most felt recoil of all my user rifles. Perhaps it is stock design or weight of the rifle to recoil compared to the other rifles.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

#291369 - 04/12/16 08:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just my two cents...

My comments relate to it as a "one gun rifle". The .375 is still the king of that in my opinion.

The .404 has the most felt recoil of all my user rifles. Perhaps it is stock design or weight of the rifle to recoil compared to the other rifles.

Agree the 375 is still the king in that area however the 416 Rigby is right there with it using 340 or 350 grain projectiles for distance. Just the 375 is far easier to shoot.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery [Re: Rule303]
      #291391 - 04/12/16 05:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just my two cents...

Agree the 375 is still the king in that area however the 416 Rigby is right there with it using 340 or 350 grain projectiles for distance. Just the 375 is far easier to shoot.

Agree with all of the above..I have not used the lighter bullets in any of my .416's..I have used them to take a lot of game in Africa all with 400 gr A-Frames or 400gr Barnes Solids...have shot game from 15yds to 265 yards..not to often in the thick stuff you will find a shot much longer than that...

Having said that, I am moving to 270gr A-Frames and taking my 375H&H when heading to Cameroon shortly..just think it will be a better fit for the area and game I am hunting...but plan to have a few 300gr solids on the pocket and bottom of the mag just in case..

Ripp

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#291403 - 04/12/16 10:38 PM

Have got loads of boxes of bullets in less then 300 gr (.375) and some less than 400 gr (.404), but so far only used the full weight projectiles. Usually I carry the rifle for buffalo, scrub bull, etc plus other game encountered, such as donkeys and pigs in Aust, and plains game in Zimbabwe and South Africa. I just use the same bullet for all, a 300 gr Woodleigh Weldcore Round Nose, in the case of the .375.

Have used factory 270 gr ammo for the .375. Probably shot targets with it.

I would like a 300 gr or sub-300 gr projectile in the .404 assuming it did not require a large price.

Really only used very expensive factory ammo for the .404 so far. Need to build up handloads for it. Maybe a summer project.

One day I will get around to making new loads for the rifles, and try out some some lighter bullets. I'm keen to try the 235 grainers. ALSO MUST try out some much cheaper projectiles than Woodleighs, eg Bertrams, for any BGRC use.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#291410 - 05/12/16 12:29 AM

John,
I was surprised to read one of your previous comments in this thread that the .404 had the most felt recoil of all you user rifles...

Agree, would probably be a stock issue, weight issue or combination of both??

I had a Merkel double that felt that way to me..kicked me harder than any gun I have ever fired..got rid of it the following week and bought a Westley Richards..more money but can shoot that thing all day long with no problems..

I have been visiting with one of the members on here of the possibility of getting a .404 Jeffery custom made. Tell me that is not an unwise decision???

Ripp

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#291432 - 05/12/16 05:46 AM

Quote:

I have been visiting with one of the members on here of the possibility of getting a .404 Jeffery custom made. Tell me that is not an unwise decision???

Of course not. My .404 is also my largest scoped. At comps we also shoot 20 plus rounds in a relatively short time. My rifle's barrel is also quite short.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #291438 - 05/12/16 06:30 AM

Quote:

Ripp

My name isn't John but that is not an unwise decision. I've always felt the .404 was a good bolt action rifle round for general African use, but then, so is the .416 Rem, .416 Rigby and .416 Taylor along with, of course, the .375H&H.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery [Re: DarylS]
      #291439 - 05/12/16 06:40 AM

Thanks John and Daryl (otherwise not known as John )

The round just sounds like it belongs in Africa.. Plus man, what a beautiful rifle..

Not really sure what it is about Africa other than it is wild..but so are other places in the world..I have been fortunate enough to do quite a bit of international hunts in the past few years or so..but have to say, I am looking forward to this next trip above all others..has a pull I can't explain..

Ripp

--------------------

cordite
.333 member

Reged: 29/01/07
Loc: NW Montana
      #291448 - 05/12/16 09:31 AM

One of my new years resolutions is to dust off my old model 70, chambered in 404 by p. o. ackley, and take it elk hunting. I'm glad 404 brass is more available now than it used to be. I haven't needed to dip into my box of kynoch brass that I found years ago.

[image]http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/cordite_lee1/media/20161204_151038_zpsntimjdpf.jpg.html][/URL][/image]

Anyone know when they stopped making it? This box of 50 is dated 12/54.

[image]http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/cordite_lee1/media/20161204_151115_zpstckrh9qu.jpg.html][/URL][/image]

cordite
.333 member

Re: One Gun to Hunt Them All: The Historic .404 Jeffery [Re: cordite]
      #291449 - 05/12/16 09:36 AM

My model 70 from the 50's.

[image]http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/cordite_lee1/media/DSCF1686_zpscfe3f103.jpg.html][/URL][/image]

cordite
.333 member

#291450 - 05/12/16 09:41 AM

[image]http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/cordite_lee1/media/DSCF1688_zps0ff5933c.jpg.html][/URL][/image]

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #291456 - 05/12/16 10:38 AM

That is a COOL M70. What a treasure.

I spoke with the late Parker O. Ackley on a couple occasions and still have my written correspondence with him (& Elmer). He asked for my .458 2" data for the book #III, which didn't come out before his death.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19450

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com