Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Girl-14--shoots possible new Nebraska state record elk

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Girl-14--shoots possible new Nebraska state record elk
      #291008 - 29/11/16 05:29 AM

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/10/6/potential-new-state-record-elk-killed-in-nebraska/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (29/11/16 05:29 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Girl-14--shoots possible new Nebraska state record elk [Re: Ripp]
      #291009 - 29/11/16 05:33 AM

WOW - what a rack!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Girl-14--shoots possible new Nebraska state record elk [Re: DarylS]
      #291016 - 29/11/16 07:05 AM

The antlers will weigh more than that young lass!

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: Girl-14--shoots possible new Nebraska state record elk [Re: 93x64mm]
      #291018 - 29/11/16 08:29 AM

Always good to see younguns enjoying the outdoors. Congratulations to her. Awesome elk.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Girl-14--shoots possible new Nebraska state record elk [Re: Claydog]
      #291023 - 29/11/16 09:31 AM

Daddy `s got plenty of money eh!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Girl-14--shoots possible new Nebraska state record elk [Re: gryphon]
      #291024 - 29/11/16 09:46 AM

Quote:

Daddy `s got plenty of money eh!

???
Not necessarily...works differently here..unlike many places, one can still go out and get into a large once of a lifetime trophy without paying lots of money to do so..plus this was not on a game farm ..so, who knows..maybe he does..maybe he doesn't...he could just be another poor working stiff like myself..

Ripp

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#291034 - 29/11/16 02:14 PM

With that rack Ripp I tend to the conspiracy theory side of things.
The hint is when you see the new record head walking around I tend to think you would say to the girl...this ones mine sugar!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#291041 - 29/11/16 02:38 PM

I don't think so - speaking for myself - when hunting with my younger daughter - it was HER hunt. The moose she attempted was a bit too far and we couldn't get closer - still - it was her call for maybe "next" time. I could easily have dropped him, nice big bull, good set of antlers - well over 50", a mere 220yard shot. She wanted to try for him next time, it was her call on THAT moose.

--------------------
Daryl

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
      #291045 - 29/11/16 03:00 PM

I would agree with Daryl. I would be over the moon if my son took a record animal while I was hunting with him. Would mean much more than if I shot it. This does not extend to fishing where I will gladly push my own mother over the side of the boat to land a fish. It is different for us over here with trophy records because it is unfortunately almost a certainty that any record has been raised and paid for. Not sure about Sambar though. Does anyone farm them for hunting Gryph? Never really heard of it.

DarylS
.700 member

#291050 - 29/11/16 03:34 PM

I see the point, but agree with Claydog. What a thrill to be guiding your offspring when they 'get' an actual trophy animal although about any animal is a "Trophy".
I remember quite vividly my younger daughter - age 7, shooting her first ruffed grouse and then cleaning it. She used a 12 bore ZULU 1890's era 12 bore 2 1/2", 1/2 ounce 7 1/2 shot loaded with about 55gr. of 2F Black Powder.
I was so proud of her. Gets me all melancholy just recalling it.

--------------------
Daryl

gryphon
.450 member

#291052 - 29/11/16 05:45 PM

Quote:

Not sure about Sambar though. Does anyone farm them for hunting Gryph? Never really heard of it.

Ooh yeah they certainly do,they are such a hard deer to get a decent one of that they are offered up in every scenario..spotlight and pen fenced in versions.
How easy to get a premier game animal from behind wire from those that promote it.
Of course the 'good ones' are never in big pens.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #291059 - 29/11/16 08:55 PM

Quote:

Not sure about Sambar though. Does anyone farm them for hunting Gryph? Never really heard of it.

Yes Watervalley in SA has sambar behind the wire. When there never saw any of huge size though, as they probably get popped quickly if large.

Quote:

Of course the 'good ones' are never in big pens.

And how true this is. Was told the big elk and hog deer (opposite in body size!), plus other super exotics, were held in small pens for the deadly intrepdid "hunters" with large wallets to "discover" (by opening their wallet) when they lucked out on huge bragging "trophies" in the 50,000 acre blockes ...

Personally wasn't interested in sambar, or most of the species there. The sambar were too tame and would not mean anything as a trophy on the wall to me. The small wild trophy Gryph helped me to get in Vic means a lot more than any large captive bred sambar would. BTW I was hunting chital at WV as I posted on NE at the time. First try to help a visiting German to get one, then later went back for myself. The chital WERE wary and alert and ran off quickly if they heard, smelt or spotted anything.

Quote:

It is different for us over here with trophy records because it is unfortunately almost a certainty that any record has been raised and paid for.

Might be true some or a lot of the time, but certainly not all the time ...

A lot of those buffalo records are steers and bred, especially when one outfitter says a party shot six huge beasts all in one week ...

Large deer still exist in the wild, at least my naivety says so.

The deer in NZ that look like a hedge of branchs, well, they WERE acquired off a catalogue. I would be ashamed to shoot something as ridiculous as those twits with their trophy photos. In fact I would be nervous about shooting a very very good wild NZ trophy, as everyone would think it is a tame hand fed farm beast ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Girl-14--shoots possible new Nebraska state record elk [Re: NitroX]
      #291060 - 29/11/16 09:03 PM

Potential New State-Record Elk Killed in Nebraska

by Connor McKibbin - Thursday, October 6, 2016

Photo Courtesy of Big Game Conservation Association/Facebook

14-year-old Hannah Helmer may be joining the record books. Last month, Helmer killed an elk that could soon be named the all-time Nebraska state record.

Sporting a green score of 428-1/8, Helmer's elk could breeze past the previous state record of 409-7/8. Official scores won't be entered until the end of the 60-day drying period.

According to the Omaha World-Herald, Hannah and her father, Joel Helmer—who happens to be an official Boone and Crockett scorer—had scouted the area prior to the hunt, and actually saw another smaller bull that morning where they were hunting, but didn’t take the shot. About a half hour later, the larger bull appeared and, with one shot from her 7mm-08 Remington at 214 yards, Hannah potentially secured her place in the record books.

When asked about the shot, Hannah told the World-Herald, "I tried not to think of how big he was, and just getting those crosshairs right where I was supposed to. Mid-bugle, I shot him. He just walked a little way and laid down. I was happy he died a quick death."

Boone & Crockett will have to confirm the score after the drying period passes, but things are looking good for the Helmer clan.

The “down” side? The main beams alone measure more than 50ʺ, and with a rack that size, the family is concerned it won’t fit through the front door of their home. That's a problem for another day, though.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/10/6/potential-new-state-record-elk-killed-in-nebraska/

Congratulations to the young lass. And she is happy and bubbling over too from the looks of it.

I would worried if I was her dad. One to find another whopper one day, and secondly, that would not fit in my house, let alone a girl's bedroom.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

#291063 - 30/11/16 12:00 AM

Quote:

With that rack Ripp I tend to the conspiracy theory side of things.
The hint is when you see the new record head walking around I tend to think you would say to the girl...this ones mine sugar!

There was a NEW world record archery bull shot where I normally hunt this past season..all public land...so, that is why I said what I did..
thx

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#291064 - 30/11/16 12:02 AM

Quote:

I see the point, but agree with Claydog. What a thrill to be guiding your offspring when they 'get' an actual trophy animal although about any animal is a "Trophy".
I remember quite vividly my younger daughter - age 7, shooting her first ruffed grouse and then cleaning it. She used a 12 bore ZULU 1890's era 12 bore 2 1/2", 1/2 ounce 7 1/2 shot loaded with about 55gr. of 2F Black Powder.
I was so proud of her. Gets me all melancholy just recalling it.

I agree with this line of thought..would be MUCH happier to see a son or daughter take it vs me..I have killed enough..time for a new sheriff in town...and what a way to keep them hunting forever..

Ripp

--------------------

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
      #291112 - 30/11/16 12:05 PM

There are some who pay to hunt but most of use are cheap guys who do it the right way u would be surprised how many hunters sell there only rifle after seasons over only to buy another come September

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
Re: Girl-14--shoots possible new Nebraska state record elk [Re: ducmarc]
      #291113 - 30/11/16 12:06 PM

I shouldn't say cheap for many hunting still gives a boost to the food bill.fishing also.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2011

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com