Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Information for Charles Osborne DR

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
Information for Charles Osborne DR
      #27772 - 15/03/05 12:35 AM

All:

Does anyone have any references for the DR maker "Charles Osborne?" I'm looking for information on this maker and his DR because I'm planning on taking a closer look at one for sale. (No details about the gun for sale at this point)

I'm looking for facts, opinions and ballpark valuesof some of his DRs.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
webley
.224 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Re: Information for Charles Osborne DR [Re: clark7781]
      #27773 - 15/03/05 03:32 AM

Clark,
The following is taken from the ‘Internet Gun Club’ website. The website is a very valuable resource that is always a good first port of call.

http://www.internetgunclub.com/general/history.php

----------------------
Charles Osborne was established in 1838 as a gunmaker and factor at 1 Litchfield Street, Birmingham.
He moved in 1854 to 12 & 13 Whittall Street and traded as C Osborne & Co.
In 1858 he was appointed Guardian of the Birmingham Proof House.
In 1871 he died at the age of 72. Unfortunately, up to this date very little of the history of this comparatively large firm was recorded, and records thereafter are not much better, but it is known that they supplied both London and provincial makers e.g. Holland & Holland with single barrel shotguns and all others with with all types of shotgun and rifle.
The business appears to have traded also as a partnership (although it was only recorded as such in 1884). The partners were Charles Osborne (Jnr), Charles Francis Ellis and E W Wilkinson. The partners seem to have traded in their individual capacities at the same time. Charles Francis Ellis was recorded at 12-13 Whittall Street from 1873 to 1875, and Charles Osborne Ellis was recorded there from 1877 to 1882. Charles Osborn Ellis was probably Charles Francis's son - the Osborne and Ellis families were obviously inter-related.
An office and shop were opened at 3 Broad Street Buildings, Broad Street, London, they were recorded from 1881 but probably opened in 1879 when the company were appointed agents for Remington Arms Co, a position they held until 1911.
In 1884 (when the partnership was recorded) Charles Osborne (Jnr), Charles Osborn Ellis and E W Wilkinson were granted patent No. 8402 for a drop-down barrel action.
In 1885 the London shop moved to 7 Whitehall Place and further shops were opened in Edinburgh at 47 George Street and Glasgow at Blythswood Square.
In 1887 the firm obtained patent No. 7222 for another drop-down barrel action, and in 1888 patent No. 11970 referred to punt guns and sliding block actions.
By 1889 the firm's Birmingham factory also occupied 14 Whittall Street; in that year Ellis and Wilkinson (trading as Charles Osborne & Co were granted patent No. 11879 for a self-cocking sliding-block action for punt guns.
In 1892 the London office moved to 2 Great Scotland Yard.
In 1895 the firm took additional premises at 16-17 Sand Street, Birmingham.
In 1896 they became a limited company.
In 1898 a patent was taken out with W Jerman for another punt gun with a sliding lock action.
In 1908 the London office moved to 10 York Buildings.
In 1909 Osborne and Ryland patented a modified Anson & Deeley action.
In 1928 the London shop closed. It was probably at this time that the Glasgow and Edinburgh shops closed.
Some records say the firm closed in 1930, other (less reliable?) sources say "during the Second World War".
The firm were prolific manufacturers of guns, rifles and pistols for the South African and Indian markets; their range of large bore big game rifles particularly double rifles was one of the widest available.

Regards
Webley

clark7781
.375 member

Re: Information for Charles Osborne DR [Re: webley]
      #27774 - 15/03/05 04:06 AM

Webley:

Thank you for the information. Do you know where I could find some information on values of guns made by Osborne?

--------------------
Clark

.500 NE and .577 NE

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #27775 - 15/03/05 04:36 AM

The price should be on par with other birmingham makers of that era (save for WR, which would come at a premium for birmingham guns.)

The biggest factors for price in a gun of this age are 'condition, condition and condition.' Which is really best addressed on a case-by-case basis.

Caliber is also important in value. Are you talking about a 9.3x74 or a 500NE? Seems like I've seen an Osborne Sidelock shotgun, but suspect that your rifle is a boxlock?

Dimensions good? Anybody been monkeying with it? Bores good? On Face? Oil in the wood?

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

clark7781
.375 member

Re: Information for Charles Osborne DR [Re: new_guy]
      #27776 - 15/03/05 04:46 AM

Haven't seen the weapon yet, but the person who has it, from what I hear, has a LARGE collection of english DRs and has taken VERY good care of them...So I'm going in assuming that the gun is in good condition.

I've been trying to search for Osborne DRs currently for sale, and am coming up dry. So I can't even ball park a price on what it is worth.

--------------------
Clark

.500 NE and .577 NE

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #27785 - 15/03/05 09:28 AM

what caliber is it?

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

clark7781
.375 member

Re: Information for Charles Osborne DR [Re: new_guy]
      #27787 - 15/03/05 10:54 AM

.450-400

--------------------
Clark

.500 NE and .577 NE

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 99 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4681

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com