Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mannlicher 1908 Oesterr Waffenfarbr-Ges Steyr???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
catdog
.224 member

Reged: 12/01/16
Loc: lower alabama
Mannlicher 1908 Oesterr Waffenfarbr-Ges Steyr???
      #276522 - 13/01/16 01:52 PM

I have had this rifle for over 20 yrs now and i really don't know to much about it. Ive tried doing some research on it but really couldn't find to much. Does anybody have any information on it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Mannlicher 1908 Oesterr Waffenfarbr-Ges Steyr??? [Re: catdog]
      #276530 - 13/01/16 08:22 PM

Catdog
Your rifle is an Austrian Mannlicher Schoenauer, proofed in Vienna (Austria); it is a full stock ‘stutzen’ version fitted with a German/Austrian double set of triggers ‘stetcher’. It was most probably manufactured just before or just after WW1, as in the years that followed WW1 the mention ‘Made in Austria’ was progressively added on the receiver rings. In order to know the exact manufacturing year you will need to disassemble wood and metal (don’t butcher the small screws); you should find the manufacturing year on the right front side of the action.
The full marking on your rifle’s receiver ring should be ‘Patent Mannlicher Schoenauer M. 1908’; the word ‘Schoenauer’ is missing as a rifle scope mount was one day installed on the receiver ring.
Model 1908 was chambered for the 8x56 Mannlicher Schoenauer cartridge; this cartridge is – up to my knowledge, only manufactured (along with other MS calibres) by Dorfner in Austria (http://www.buechsenpatronen.at ), but is quite commonly re-loaded worldwide. It is a good woods calibre that I personally use for deer hunting. Trajectory is quite flat until c. 150 yards but drops a lot after 200 yards, as most ammunition of this era. Your rifle may however have been rechambered so double-check calibre related markings before firing it.
Detailed information on Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles is available at www.mannlicher.org . With regards to current market value in the US, see http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo....cfm?cat_id=314, http://www.willoughbymccabe.com/d.php?gid=1450, and other related sites.
Regards.
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Mannlicher 1908 Oesterr Waffenfarbr-Ges Steyr??? [Re: Louis]
      #276531 - 13/01/16 08:49 PM

its true Waffen Dorfner is the only source for CIP proofed ammo today but its easy to use 8x57IS brass for relaoding.

stock have a Springbacke for scope use, rare and interesting feature
its not possible to see if there is a rear base for a claw mont on the left side of the receiver. the other base was eingeschwalbt but is lost now it seems.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

catdog
.224 member

Reged: 12/01/16
Loc: lower alabama
Re: Mannlicher 1908 Oesterr Waffenfarbr-Ges Steyr??? [Re: lancaster]
      #276565 - 14/01/16 09:33 AM

Great information guys. I am looking to sell it and i have a friend interested. Would any body have an idea the modified stock would ad to the price?

Kiwi_bloke
.333 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Mannlicher 1908 Oesterr Waffenfarbr-Ges Steyr??? [Re: catdog]
      #276582 - 14/01/16 07:25 PM

The name on the side of the receiver means Austrian Gun Manufacturing (joint stock) Company and was used from 1869 to 1927 when it became Steyr Werke A.G., (meaning Steyr Works Ltd). Steyr is the town where these were made. So it will pre-date 1927. 1908 is the introduction date of the 8x56mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer cartridge. So this is the earliest date a M.1908 will have been made. Somewhere between 1908 and 1927 is the date of your rifle's manufacture.

There will be a proof mark on the barrel, hidden in the barrel channel until the stock is carefully taken off with good fitting screwdrivers. In fact, I'd recommend a good gunsmith do the job as he will be able to secure the rifle carefully before starting so it doesn't slip. The stock may well be stuck fairly tight and the king-screw may also be seized. A good gunsmith will know what to do next.

The proof number will be something like 1345.20 In that example, it would mean the 1345th proof done in the year 1920 when the rile was sent for proof. The small "w" (i.e. "NPw"), on the side of your rifle means it was proof tested in Wien, (i.e. Vienna).

I'm guessing from the serial number that your gun was made around 1920. By comparison, one with a serial number of 125XX was proofed in 1925. I don't know what the modified stock would add to the price, but it is not common.

JDL
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Mannlicher 1908 Oesterr Waffenfarbr-Ges Steyr??? [Re: Kiwi_bloke]
      #276716 - 18/01/16 10:32 AM

My 1908 was 222 units earlier than yours and was proofed in 1919. HTH.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3511

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com