Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Merkel 96K - drilling

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Robie
.275 member

Reged: 04/04/03
Merkel 96K - drilling
      #27215 - 04/03/05 12:49 AM

Is the Merkel 96K a strong drilling - eq. good locking mechanisme that will support moderat to heavy use?
Hope for first-hand experince answers only.

Robie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Merkel 96K - drilling [Re: Robie]
      #27248 - 04/03/05 04:56 PM

I owned one in 12 & 9,3x74R for several years and found it as tight when I sold it as it was when I bought it...very tight! I shot heavy 12 ga loads in it regularly and also a good share of 9,3, while finding the regulating recipe.

I sold mine only for the reason that it was very heavy...and backbreaking with the 3X12X56 Docter Optics scope on it. It shot well and was nice to have along while in Africa. What combination are you considering? For general practicality I think I prefer the Kreighoff. For that matter, I've never met a drilling I didn't like in some way or the other...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
Re: Merkel 96K - drilling [Re: luv2safari]
      #27274 - 05/03/05 05:44 PM

I've got one in the same calibres as luv2safari. I've got a 1.5-6x42 Swarovski in EAW swing off mounts and have Briley choke tubes fitted. it is fairly heavy, around 9lbs without scope but the short barrels make it handle fairly quickly but I could imagine it may be a problem for upland game shooting. We don't have any bird shooting in NSW but I do as well on clays with it as i do with anything else.

I shoot reasonably brisk rifle ammo - about the same ballistivs as the 375 H&H Flanged and have been using it as a plinker. I set up two 6"x8" logs on top of the gate posts 110 yards away and hit them pretty well all the time from a sitting position, so accuracy is acceptable. I don't recollect what sort of groups I got on paper. A 22 rimfire insert in the shotgun barrel will allow head shooting rabbits to 60 yards.

I've only fired about 300 rounds of 9.3x74R, 500 rounds of 22 long rifle and a few hundred shot shells (I had an accident not long after I got it and am on crutches, which rather limits the clay target shooting, especially as my wife injured her arm and cannot load the clay thrower without my help) and its still as tight as it ever was.

Two minor problems - when I first got it the front trigger locked up. I contacted the first owner and he said he wasn't even aware it had a single set trigger. I sent it off to a European trained gunsmith who has a lot of experience with these guns and he found someone had turned the adjustment screw on the set trigger to the point where once it was set you couldn't get it to release. He also told me that the firing pin for the rifle barrel is very long and can jam if you dry fire it even once. He recommends leaving a fired case in the rifle chamber when shooting clays etc, in case the selector is accidentally moved and the rifle barrel fired rather than the shotgun.

I love mine and think it will be something I'll have 'til I die, but, it is a Merkel, not some custom made, light weight, Duralumin framed, engraved Ferlach drilling.

mike

Robie
.275 member

#27299 - 06/03/05 03:51 AM

Hi.
I am considering 20/76 and 7x57R. or .308Win, plus a KS insert-barrel, and a Leupold 1,25-4x20.
Robie

luv2safari
.400 member

#27336 - 06/03/05 03:24 PM

I would strongly suggest you consider a 7X65R. It and 20ga would make one WONDERFUL combination. Ammo for this great Brenneke caliber is readily available from S&B, and in the good killing 173GR cutted edge bullet.

--------------------

Robie
.275 member

#27362 - 06/03/05 10:21 PM

Hi Luv2Safari

I like the 7x57R due to its light recoil and low pressure. I plan on using RWS ammunition, DK and good old TIG (dual dim w/cutting edge). The Doppelkern for deer, and TIG for boar - moose. Might use Rottweil Brenneke slugs on roe-deer and boar, if the distance allows.

Robie

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
      #27400 - 07/03/05 08:15 AM

I have problems getting slugs to shoot to the sights in mine - heavier slugs do better, when I can get them.

mike

luv2safari
.400 member

#27489 - 08/03/05 11:21 AM

Robie,

I wish I had one just like it, and you had a better one... Your choice of gauge/caliber are hard to argue with, as are your bullet choices. I wish I hadn't sold my 16/7x57R drilling. It was a real nice combination for my usual type of hunting...deer and chucker or grouse...all at the same time.

Weight was my only complaint about my recent manufacture Merkel drilling, and it WAS in a heavier caliber and 12 gauge...adds a lot to the heft. A 20/7mm should trim down nicely. The factory will on special order and for extra $$$ regulate the right barrel for Brennekes and configure the rear sight to remain standing when the rifle barrel has been de-selected...essential for shooting the slugs and insert barrels.

--------------------

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #80631 - 14/06/07 05:55 PM

I have heard good reports

RLI

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5410

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com