Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Firearms Proof Requirements for Import

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
fsrmg1
.300 member

Reged: 25/07/03
Loc: Western Australia
Firearms Proof Requirements for Import
      #270219 - 09/09/15 09:19 AM

Hello,

Are there any EU members who can tell me what the firearms proof requirements are to take a rifle into a EU country and use it for hunting?

I may be posted in Germany in the near future with the military and would like to take a couple hunting rifles with me. They are Browning make in Japan. They have the typical Browning/Miroku "NP" stamps on them. Does this count?

--------------------
Cheers,

Rich

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Firearms Proof Requirements for Import [Re: fsrmg1]
      #270237 - 09/09/15 05:41 PM

fsrmg1, I think you will be fine getting them in (not 100% though, I can check for you) but if you wanted to sell them to someone else you may have to have them re-proofed ? Not sure there but I am sure Kuduae will give you advice here. best

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Firearms Proof Requirements for Import [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #270244 - 09/09/15 10:01 PM

Quote:

fsrmg1, I think you will be fine getting them in (not 100% though, I can check for you) but if you wanted to sell them to someone else you may have to have them re-proofed ? Not sure there but I am sure Kuduae will give you advice here. best

Curious of this myself as I am headed to Spain the last few days of November this year hunting Ibex..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Firearms Proof Requirements for Import [Re: Ripp]
      #270256 - 10/09/15 01:08 AM

Lucky you! Well done.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Firearms Proof Requirements for Import [Re: DarylS]
      #270440 - 13/09/15 10:31 PM

Rich & Ripp

The answer to your question is twofold:
- Short term import: As long as you own your rifles lawfully (with proof of registration in your country) you can travel to and within European Community (EC) countries for hunting purposes without much hindrance. In France, one have to apply for one 'European registered rifle passport' ('Carte Europeenne d'Arme a Feu' in French) for travelling for hunting purposes within the EC for short duration hunting trips; I assume that the rule should be pretty much the same in other EC countries. Ripp, your outfitter in Spain should be able to give you more precise guidance and facilitate your arrival.
- Long term import: Importing rifles within the EC for residency purposes is another story. In France, there is the requirement for obtaining an import licence from the Customs and, in order to apply for that licence, there is the pre-requisite to demonstrate that one can own rifles lawfully by either having a French hunting licence or being the member of a French registered shooting club. Again, I assume that the rule is pretty much the same within all EC countries (also some are not really gun-owner friendly). Rich, I would advise you to check through your Consulate in Germany what are the precise in-country requirements for owning and importing rifles before preparing your relocation.

In both cases I am not sure that proof have much importance as long has rifles bear any kind of internationally recognised proof stamps. I am personally owning rifles with pre-1925 British, pre-1945 Austrian and pre-1945 German proof stamps; there was never the requirement for having them re-proofed in France when I get them registered.

I hope that this will help.

Regards.

Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

fsrmg1
.300 member

Reged: 25/07/03
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Firearms Proof Requirements for Import [Re: Louis]
      #270470 - 14/09/15 07:59 PM

The last time I was posted in Germany, I had a number of guns on my German hunting license. They all had EU CIL proofs on them, so I never gave it much thought. Now I wish I had, because I can't remember what the requirements are.

I have a couple Japan made Browning rifles I'd like to bring if possible. I would even consider having them proofed over there if it's not too difficult. Maybe it's best I try and contact someone from my old hunting club over there and they can help me find an answer.

--------------------
Cheers,

Rich

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1920

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com