Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: nice weather

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
nice weather
      #268160 - 18/07/15 04:50 AM

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Re: nice weather [Re: lancaster]
      #268162 - 18/07/15 05:44 AM

It's cold enough to freeze the nuts of a gum tree here. Best falls of snow along the Great Divide in 50 years. My daughter in Bathurst said they had 15 cm in town where she lives and a bloke I know in Coonabarabran told me of snow falling in the Warrumbungles just out of town.

My wood fire is running 24 hours a day!

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: nice weather [Re: Bidgee]
      #268191 - 19/07/15 12:32 AM

Snow down under!
Sorry guys that just make me smile.
15cm is just a dusting around here.
Enjoy it while it lasts.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: nice weather [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #268198 - 19/07/15 04:45 AM

15cm can be downright horrid in places it is not expected or rarely happens. That's just under 6". If the temps are not well below freezing, it can be VERY slippery indeed - like trying to drive on lithium grease.

A 'nice' light dusting of tracking snow here.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: nice weather [Re: DarylS]
      #268216 - 19/07/15 08:53 AM

My mate texted a pic of the snow at the helipad up top on his way Down into the wonnangatta on a walk in hunt...wish I could be there!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: nice weather [Re: gryphon]
      #268224 - 19/07/15 07:36 PM

Iowa, the south east of Australia gets plenty of snow in winter especially the resorts which can get up to two meters in a good season. I normally have at least one snow hunt each year in about one foot of snow, however last year we couldn't hunt our normal spot as there was over a meter of fresh snow which was to hard to move through.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: nice weather [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #268407 - 23/07/15 03:03 PM

A small amount of snow and ice in Australia can sound funny to "Northernors" used to much more, but I have actually found our houses and buildings are generally colder than friends places when visiting for example Norway and Sweden.

At ErikD's hunting lodge in the forest, I have many times have had to go outside to cool down because it was too hot inside. Wearing fine wool underwear plus fleece of course means one is quite well dressed for warmth inside, but more than a few times, I went outside by myself to cool down. Found other friends houses very cosy too.

The houses and lodges there have tripled glazed glass windows, and frames that fit without breezes. Wall, ceilings and even floors might be insulated. Even sheds are insulated. Central heating, or for the lodge a fire going all the time.

I shared a house with friends from Finland and Sweden in London years ago, and they said the English houses were colder than their's back home, where it might be 0 to -40 deg C and not 4 or 5 deg like in England on a cold day.

Now my house has one wood fire for the whole house, and some electrical heaters for some rooms. No insulation. The bloody windows and doors are drafty and badly fitted when the house was made or worsened since. I should fix some of these things of course. But my house is colder than a Norwegian or Swedish one in winter here to Autumn there. And my corrugated iron sheds are freezing cold in Winter. But I don't have air-conditioning for Summer heat which can go over 40 degrees C either. Every Summer think I should do something about that, but then ... it is Autumn again and not so hot!

So when we get frosts and the very rare snow here, it is felt.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (23/07/15 08:11 PM)

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: nice weather [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #268421 - 23/07/15 07:32 PM

I am in New Zealand with the wife at the moment, down at Twizle. Now it has been down to -4 but no fresh falls.

I know in Aust, in a good snow year, we have more snow covered area than the bulk of Europe but most of it is not skiable. Some resorts in the US will have ski runs over 10 miles long. Most of our snow is thin covering compared to most other countries that get snow. Even PNG gets deep snow than we do.

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: nice weather [Re: Rule303]
      #268428 - 24/07/15 12:16 AM

Waidmannsheil,
Thanks for the clarification about Australian winters/snow fall.
The photo of the vinyard with the roo standing there looking around thinking "WTF!" still makes me chuckle. 😊

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: nice weather [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #268431 - 24/07/15 01:09 AM

Yes - a great picture! I cannot remember the last winter where the temp dropped to -40. Used to be we'd get 3 to 5 weeks of that over winter - usually Dec and Jan. 13' of snow is NOT the record. Lately, no more than about 6 or 7' total fall. The bush seems to hover around 4' or 5' most winters. Used to be 7' - 8' in the bush all winter long, replaced if it melted or if it settled too much with warm spells. Our March spring bunny hunting was always on snowshoes over 6 to sometimes over 8' of snow as well. Bunnys all up top sunning themselves beside birch trees. Hard to spot the white bunny - have to look for his black eye. Once spotted, the stood out quite well - but hard to see initially if they don't move. Sometimes a blink or slight head movement will give them away.

When the snow gets deep too deep for pounding through it, out come the misery slippers (snowshoes). What fun! - not.

When Foxton's Lady Jessica, my runt Liver and White English Springer would get tired of bounding through the snow to retrieve snowshoe hares, she'd sneak around behind me then step up on my snowshoes for a ride. THAT was tiring - not hauling her around, but getting back up onto my feet after digging myself and rifle out of the snow. Flintlocks do not like that, BTW.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2141

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com