Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: new Canadian Ranger Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
new Canadian Ranger Rifle
      #266991 - 26/06/15 08:26 AM

I'm suprised Dayrl didn't post on this already

THUNDER BAY – NEWS – The Canadian Rangers have a new rifle. The Sako rifle will be manufactured in Canada at the Colt Canada facility in Kitchener Ontario.

The Canadian Army in a media release says, “The Canadian Rangers are a sub-component of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) Reserve. They are effectively the military’s eyes and ears in the sparsely settled northern, coastal and isolated areas of Canada that can not conveniently or economically be covered by other parts of the CAF, providing patrols and detachments for national-security and public-safety missions in these locations.

New Canadian Rangers Sako Rifle will be manufactured in Canada

“Today there are approximately 5000 Canadian Rangers living in over 200 communities. Given the critical role the Canadian Rangers play in the safety and security of our Northern communities, and the sovereignty of our North, they require well-functioning reliable supplies and equipment. Rifles are critical tools for the rangers’ work. The model currently used is the Lee Enfield. While the stock of rifles now in use are excellent tools for an Arctic environment, their replacement parts are becoming less available and may be completely unavailable after 2017. The Government of Canada is therefore replacing the Lee Enfields with modern rifles to meet the Canadian Rangers’ needs into the future”.

Lee Enfield Rifle that has been in use since 1947 for the Canadian Rangers

The Lee–Enfield bolt-action, magazine-fed, repeating rifle was the main firearm used by the military forces of the British Empire andCommonwealth during the first half of the 20th century. It was the British Army’s standard rifle from its official adoption in 1895 until 1957. The Canadian-manufactured Lee Enfield went into service during WWII and has been used by the Canadian Rangers since 1947.

The new rifles are designed for the conditions that the Canadian Rangers face.

Canadian Rangers require a specialized, robust rifle that can perform reliably in temperatures well below freezing. There will also be unique cosmetic elements to help CAF and Royal Canadian Mounted Police personnel identify an official Ranger Rifle from a distance, leading to a specific design for these rifles as opposed to purchasing off-the-shelf stock.

The ownership of the intellectual property of the design will remain with the selected design firm, and Colt Canada will acquire a manufacturing license for the design on behalf of Canada. As the rifle manufacturer, Colt Canada will be required to change or update the technical data package periodically, for example in the event a particular part becomes obsolete. Updates are required as, historically, DND’s small arms have a service life of between 30 to 70 years.

These two contracts will support the continued employment of 95 jobs and contribute to the creation of up to approximately 30 jobs in the Kitchener, Ontario region.

The Government of Canada issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) in 2014 for a new Ranger Rifle design, and the contract was awarded in early 2015. Following testing, and any necessary design amendments, Colt Canada will produce more than 6500 rifles, which will be phased into use by the Canadian Rangers between mid-2016 and late-2019.

A Call for a Rifle Design Suitable for Canada’s North
The Government of Canada will turn to a long-established Canadian expert in the weapons industry, Colt Canada, which holds a solid track record in supplying and maintaining small arms, including rifles. Colt Canada assisted the government to competitively select a rifle design and then will manufacture them. The company, previously called Diemaco, has been Canada’s Small Arms Strategic Source and Centre of Excellence since it was competitively selected in 1976, under the federal Munitions Supply Program (MSP). As such, Colt Canada is an experienced and efficient manufacturer and supporter of small arms for Canada, including the men and women of the CAF. This stable Canadian small arms manufacturing and maintenance capacity is considered key for the constant readiness of the CAF for domestic and international operations. The Government of Canada remains committed to the MSP.

The government will in fact issue two contracts to Colt Canada. The first contract, valued at approximately $1.5 million, is for Colt Canada to manage the design competition, as well as the delivery of up to 125 test and evaluation rifles. Colt Canada itself will not be a contender for the rifle design. The Department of National Defence (DND) and Public Works and Government Services Canada will fully participate in evaluating the design bids, along with Colt Canada as the competitively selected manufacturer.

The second follow-on contract will enable Colt Canada to buy the technical data package and a manufacturing license agreement for the design which will be manufactured at Colt Canada. This contract also includes quality control, the production of spare parts, and accessories such as cases and trigger safety locks. Canada will contract General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems, also an identified partner through the strategic source agreement with the MSP, to supply the ammunitions. The production contract is expected to be awarded in early 2016.

- See more at: http://www.netnewsledger.com/2015/06/23/canadian-rangers-have-new-rifle/#sthash.tBiTveGn.dpuf

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: new Canadian Ranger Rifle [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #266997 - 26/06/15 08:56 AM

Saw that - got the link in the NFA mail.
tks for posting it, Matt.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: new Canadian Ranger Rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #267001 - 26/06/15 10:26 AM

Looks like a Tikka ?
Either way, nice.

I would like to handle one of the older SAR orange Ruger 77's

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

DarylS
.700 member

Re: new Canadian Ranger Rifle [Re: Caprivi]
      #267005 - 26/06/15 12:23 PM

That would be a good gun in .458 Alaskan, the ctg. on the right, a slightly rebated rim and new extractor cut in a .450 Alaskan. 2,200fps with 500gr. Hornadys.

--------------------
Daryl

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Re: new Canadian Ranger Rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #267006 - 26/06/15 01:17 PM

Caprivi
It is derived from the Sako T3 CTR and will be chambered in .308 Winchester.
Basically a ballistic duplicate of thier venerable .303 British Lee Enfields.

--------------------
Matt

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Iowa_303s
.400 member

#267007 - 26/06/15 01:25 PM

"The Canadian Rangers require a hunting rifle for survival and self defence against large North American carnivores at ranges of 0 metres to 300 metres."
This is according to the Canadian Department of National Defence and Colt Canada.

--------------------
Matt

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #267130 - 29/06/15 05:56 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Iowa_303, thank you for posting this!

As Caprivi said, it looks to be Tikka T3 based rifle, with a variation with regards to stock and iron sights.

FYI, the standard Finish made Tikka T3 is a very good value for money rifle, and in my experience, exceedingly accurate! If you have a T3 that won't shoot, it is probably the shooter that is at fault!!!
If Colt CA can make them as well as the Fins, the Rangers will have a great and versatile rifle.

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: new Canadian Ranger Rifle [Re: Homer]
      #267139 - 29/06/15 11:48 PM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Iowa_303, thank you for posting this!

As Caprivi said, it looks to be Tikka T3 based rifle, with a variation with regards to stock and iron sights.

FYI, the standard Finish made Tikka T3 is a very good value for money rifle, and in my experience, exceedingly accurate! If you have a T3 that won't shoot, it is probably the shooter that is at fault!!!
If Colt CA can make them as well as the Fins, the Rangers will have a great and versatile rifle.

Doh!
Homer

Agree on the Tikka T3--have a couple of them and they shoot incredibly well

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: new Canadian Ranger Rifle [Re: Ripp]
      #267172 - 30/06/15 09:33 AM

I have some input about Tikka.
I had a customer who bought a 7MM Mag Tikka about 2 years ago from the store I do gunsmithing for.
He fired it with a Federal factory round and the bolt handle got stuck, so he tapped it with a wood hammer handle. The man with him told me the impacts were quite light and there was no sign of any hard impact on the bolt handle, so I believe him. The thinnest part of the handle itself is not the dovetail, and the neck of the bolt was not bent at all. The bolt handle is dovetailed into the bolt body on these rifle.

Well...........THE BODY OF THE BOLT ITSELF broke around the dovetail leaving the bolt closed.
So he brought it to me to see if I could get it open.

We called Tikka at 301-283 2191
And guess what they told us?

Too bad. We don't sell any warranted rifles!

And then the man was stupid enough to try to sell my customer a new one at full price.[u/]
I can't believe he thought anyone would take a chance on such a design again, after he's told us that if the thing broke through no fault of the customer at all it was just tough luck and they didn't care.[u/]

So buyer beware. I love their accuracy and smoothness, but I would not own one myself.

Make your own choices, but I have told you the truth about this matter.

Edited by szihn (30/06/15 09:38 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Re: new Canadian Ranger Rifle [Re: szihn]
      #267179 - 30/06/15 12:26 PM

Tks for the head's-up, Steve.

--------------------
Daryl

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
Re: new Canadian Ranger Rifle [Re: szihn]
      #267472 - 06/07/15 05:59 PM

Quote:

I have some input about Tikka.
I had a customer who bought a 7MM Mag Tikka about 2 years ago from the store I do gunsmithing for.
He fired it with a Federal factory round and the bolt handle got stuck, so he tapped it with a wood hammer handle. The man with him told me the impacts were quite light and there was no sign of any hard impact on the bolt handle, so I believe him. The thinnest part of the handle itself is not the dovetail, and the neck of the bolt was not bent at all. The bolt handle is dovetailed into the bolt body on these rifle.

Well...........THE BODY OF THE BOLT ITSELF broke around the dovetail leaving the bolt closed.
So he brought it to me to see if I could get it open.

We called Tikka at 301-283 2191
And guess what they told us?

Too bad. We don't sell any warranted rifles!

And then the man was stupid enough to try to sell my customer a new one at full price.[u/]
I can't believe he thought anyone would take a chance on such a design again, after he's told us that if the thing broke through no fault of the customer at all it was just tough luck and they didn't care.[u/]

So buyer beware. I love their accuracy and smoothness, but I would not own one myself.

Make your own choices, but I have told you the truth about this matter.

I looked at the newer Tikka T3 rifles to replace a Tikka M695 6.5x55 that I had stolen from military lockup while I was overseas. I liked the M695 very much despite the plastic trigger guard (the magazine is steel) The T3 was too light ,has an entirely plastic bottom metal and now a plastic magazine very cheaply made. You can buy steel upgrades bottom metal from Lumley and others for the T3 but the bolt handle is the most abysmally ugly and poorly designed I ever held in my hands. Gone was the sturdy clean lined bolt handle of the Tikka M595 and 695 ; and they are NOT interchangeable with the T3 .I love my old early Sako Forester and Finnbear rifles but in my opinion the Tikka T3 went just too far in cheapening the rifle.

Edited by Deutsche_Vortrekker (06/07/15 06:01 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4744

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com