Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Prechtl rifles?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
adrian500ne
.224 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: USA
Prechtl rifles?
      #264813 - 11/05/15 07:38 AM

I am seeking opinions from those who have actual first hand experience with the rifles in question. I am at a point where I saved enough to buy a top bolt action rifle, and for some time I set my mind on a 416 Rigby by Hartmann and Weiss whose rifles I've handled or shot on occasions and found them to be of absolutely brilliant quality, every bit as good as a Purdey bolt action rifle only not as expensive.

Then I recently saw a Pretchl rifle briefly during a trip abroad, and I also liked the quality a lot. I am aware that, just like H&W, Pretchl makes his own actions in his factory in Germany which is something I personally appreciate in a rifle, but that's just about all I know. I could not locate any more examples or meet someone who owns them. Not willing to make a decision based on seeing only one rifle by that maker, I am seeking your opinion of these rifles in terms of reliability, accuracy, and build quality. How do they compare to H&W rifles?

Any input is highly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Prechtl rifles? [Re: adrian500ne]
      #265113 - 18/05/15 12:06 AM

BTTT

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: Prechtl rifles? [Re: NitroX]
      #265136 - 18/05/15 03:16 AM

Hartmann und Weiss makes nice rifles, but some of the most "price worthy" (what ever that is) customs gun I have seen are those by Joël Dorelac. There are also a great gunsmith in Canada, USA, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Italy etc.

Personally I would consider other gunsmith before Prechtel but this is just my personal taste. Johannsen also makes rifle and some other also.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Prechtl rifles? [Re: adrian500ne]
      #265140 - 18/05/15 04:16 AM

HW rifles are lovely, but for the cost of a new one you can still get an original prewar Rigby .416 or one of the prewar American classics from Hoffman or G&H. The latter will probably hold their value better, esp. an original Rigby and to my eye they are better looking. See steve barnett's website for a lovely Kornbrath engraved .375 Hoffman.

For a newly commissioned piece, I personally would go with Dorleac on an original mag mauser over H&W on one of their actions. I probably focus too much on aesthetics, I admit.

Edited by mckinney (18/05/15 04:29 AM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Prechtl rifles? [Re: mckinney]
      #265167 - 18/05/15 05:19 PM

I don´t think you will get a "new" H&W. As far as I understand it they are both now retired. The company was up for sale a while back but I don´t know what became of that. best, Mike

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Prechtl rifles? [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #265178 - 19/05/15 12:42 AM

Good to know, didn't realize that. HW website is still up, but doesn't seem to be active.

If they're not making any more that certainly makes existing ones more interesting. They made some beautiful doubles as well as bolt rifles.

Pugwash
.300 member

Reged: 24/03/07
Loc: Scotland,UK
Re: Prechtl rifles? [Re: mckinney]
      #265184 - 19/05/15 07:08 AM

H&W are still working and in business.They are getting on a bit and their waiting list is very long so its a bit of a gamble as to whether you would ever get your new gun or rifle if you ordered it now.
Hopefully they will carry on for a while longer as it will be a sad day when the company closes.Although the company was for sale recently they would only sell it to somebody they felt worthy to carry the business on making the very best of guns and rifles.It didn't sell and I find it hard to believe it ever will.

Mark

RobertL
.224 member

Reged: 21/04/11
Loc: Germany
Re: Prechtl rifles? [Re: Pugwash]
      #265640 - 29/05/15 04:09 AM

Mike,
The information about the closure of Hartmann & Weiss is simply wrong.
Although both Gerhard Hartmann as also Otto Weiss have reached their retirement age a decade ago, they still run their business. This is remarkable as the company was founded in 1965 by them and this year they will celebrated the 50. business anniversary.
I have spoken to them today and there are no retirement plans of what so ever.

Adrian,
I have several rifles from both companies H&W and Prechtel including a bolt action rifles in .416 Rigby one each.
You cannot compare the workmanship of the two companies. H&W is on a much much higher level than Prechtl. However having said that, the Prechtel rifles are very sound and good working rifles which I would not mind using on dangerous game. They function as flawless as the much more expensive H&W rifles. Regarding accuracy I cannot see any difference between the two makes.
Let me know if I can give further comments.

Robert

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: Prechtl rifles? [Re: RobertL]
      #265642 - 29/05/15 04:32 AM

Robert, I apologise, I was misinformed. I have a .375 H&W and it is wonderful. It might be going to Africa with me in October if I am allowed to go ! best

RobertL
.224 member

Reged: 21/04/11
Loc: Germany
      #265690 - 30/05/15 05:05 AM

Hello Mike,
Hopefully you can make it in October to Africa with your .375H&H from H&W. The problem for us Europeans with the big bore rifles from H&W is that we cannot use them on a regular basis for hunting unless we are traveling to Africa. Therefore I had H&W build me something smaller, a .257 Roberts on their short length action and a .300H&H on their Magnum action. The later one of course makes also a fine plains game rifle.
Best regards
Robert

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: Prechtl rifles? [Re: RobertL]
      #265714 - 30/05/15 06:00 PM

We don´t have any restrictions on what we use in Spain Robert so I can happily use a .375 on boar or whatever. Lots of folk here have 9.3x74s as well, regards

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #270293 - 10/09/15 05:37 PM

The Prectel certainly make great actions and their rifle are of good value.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4324

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com