Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 20ft Manta Ray

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Fishing

Pages: 1
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
20ft Manta Ray
      #264180 - 26/04/15 01:11 AM

" Fishermen Accidentally Catch 20ft Manta Ray After It Swam Into Their Trawler Net
The 1,000kg giant, which is strictly protected in international waters, swam into the fishermen’s net as they trawled for fish in a homemade wooden boat off Caleta La Cruz in north-western Peru
Yahoo News.Yahoo News. – Fri, Apr 24, 2015

Unsuspecting fishermen accidentally caught this enormous 20ft manta ray while trawling off the coast of Peru.

The 1,000kg giant, which is strictly protected in international waters, swam into the fishermen’s net as they trawled for fish in a homemade wooden boat off Caleta La Cruz in north-western Peru.

Fisherman Franco Vergara, 39, said: 'We were taken completely by surprise when we felt the whole boat shudder and lurch.
Giant: Fishermen believe the manta ray may have been hit by the boat's rudder.
'We looked over the side and saw this enormous creature below us.

'I had never seen a Manta Ray live before and it took a couple of seconds to realise what it was.

Fishermen said it was 'extremely sad' to see the fatally injured manta ray. 'Sadly, it was badly injured and I suspect it had been hit by a boat propeller. We towed it ashore and then called the local authorities.'

When seaport authorities and animal environmental officers arrived they needed a crane to lift the gigantic ray out of the water, where it was snapped by tourist Kelly Cruz Cumpen, 25, who posted it onto social media.

She said: 'I have never seen anything as big as this.

'When they pulled it out of the water it was dripping with blood. It was very sad to see. It is such a beautiful creature.'

In ancient Peru, the manta ray was often depicted in art where they were feared because of their size.

Sailors believed they ate fish and sank boats and it was not until the late 1970s that perceptions began to change when it was realised that they were placid and harmless to humans.

The largest manta ray ever recorded was the Atlantic Ray with a span of 30ft.
The manta ray is thought to have weighed around 1,000kg. (CEN)"
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/fishermen-acci...65.html#H4F4CuH

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: 20ft Manta Ray [Re: lancaster]
      #264183 - 26/04/15 01:50 AM

Wow..that thing is HUGE..

Thanks for posting

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: 20ft Manta Ray [Re: Ripp]
      #264220 - 26/04/15 12:11 PM

Woah! Poor ray though!

I'd love to see pics of that 30' one!

--------------------

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: 20ft Manta Ray [Re: Ash]
      #264226 - 26/04/15 05:44 PM

Blimey, brings back memories. I was fishing for marlin about 25 years ago off Madeira. We were using heavy gear, 130lb bent butt stuff as the marlin get large there (a bit intimidating for me as I only weigh 10 1/2 stone wringing wet with a hard on) when all of a sudden one reel starts pouring line and what comes out of the ocean about 60 yards to the stern ? One of those Mantas which the lure had snagged. It must have been basking on the top. Majestic sight, the skipper ran down from the tower and cut the dacron asap, remember it like yesterday

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3929

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com