Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Steyr Schönauer 6.5 x 55 1964

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
samthedog
.224 member

Reged: 17/02/15
Loc: Norway
Steyr Schönauer 6.5 x 55 1964
      #260602 - 17/02/15 04:43 PM

Hello gents, this is my first post so it will be an introduction of both myself and my rifle. I am Aussie living in Norway and when in Australia, I did the usual hunting of kangaroos, feral dogs, cats, pigs etc... Upon moving to Norway, all I could take were my air rifles. I have recently purchased an interesting rifle which I figured was fairly rare as I have not seen any pictures of the 6.5 x 55 Mannlicher Steyr Schönauer anywhere. I purchased the rifle, scope, about 100 rounds with a bunch of dies and loading equipment for $1700 USD. The gun has only been used on the occasional hunting trip and the lands and throat show no sign of erosion. It is sporting a Pecar Berlin 3 - 7times variable scope in very good shape. I am not sure how I did as the gent did not negotiate on price at all and I wanted the 6.5 x 55 as it will be a deer rifle. Opinions are welcome - did I pay too much?

--------------------
The older I get, the better I was

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bagboy
.224 member

Reged: 16/01/15
Loc: Arizona
Re: Steyr Schönauer 6.5 x 55 1964 [Re: samthedog]
      #260620 - 17/02/15 07:00 PM

That's a nice rifle and pretty rare, at least in the U.S. I would say you made a very good deal. Looks like it was made in 1964.

samthedog
.224 member

Re: Steyr Schönauer 6.5 x 55 1964 [Re: Bagboy]
      #260625 - 17/02/15 07:50 PM

Thanks Bagboy. I am inquiring about getting the double set trigger from Tom as I would like this rifle to have all the bells and whistles. I am also looking at replacing some of the stock screws as they have been damaged through careless use of ill-fitted screwdrivers.

She needs a good clean and then it will be off to the range to sight her in. I just need to wait until my weapons ticket is finalized before picking her up. The rifle won't be a safe queen but rather used in the deer season. I figure life is too short to use cheap rifles.

Paul.

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #260626 - 17/02/15 08:07 PM

Sam, very nice rifle which looks to be in pretty good condition. It is good to hear that you are going to shoot it, that is what these rifles were made for. Well done.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Bagboy
.224 member

Re: Steyr Schönauer 6.5 x 55 1964 [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #260636 - 17/02/15 10:23 PM

Paul,

Personally I would just leave it as is with the single trigger. For a deer hunting rifle I never really saw any advantage to DT's, a varmit rifle yes. Also I think it's a little harder to change from a single trigger to DT then DT to single, you need to look at the triggerguard and see how it's made, I think they are different. I would try to find a nice hood for the front sight instead.

samthedog
.224 member

Re: Steyr Schönauer 6.5 x 55 1964 [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #260637 - 17/02/15 10:25 PM

Thanks Waidmannsheil. It would benefit from a stock refinish in order to steam out some dents and remove some oil stains. As it is now it is all original so I am of 2 minds wether to keep her original or go full tilt and pretty her up. The bluing is in very good shape and there is no rust on the rifle so I will leave the metalwork regardless of what I do to the stock.

The dual set trigger is on the list and I will also make a leather slip for it to protect it from dents and scrapes while transporting it. I am looking for replacement screws so if anyone knows where to source stock screws from, please chime in.

If anyone else has a 6.5 x 55 please let me know. I have not found a single example on Google yet and have been scouring the net. When I get my grubby paws on it I will do a full review and post it up on my blog.

Paul.

--------------------

samthedog
.224 member

#260643 - 18/02/15 03:47 AM

Quote:

Paul,

Personally I would just leave it as is with the single trigger. For a deer hunting rifle I never really saw any advantage to DT's, a varmit rifle yes. Also I think it's a little harder to change from a single trigger to DT then DT to single, you need to look at the triggerguard and see how it's made, I think they are different. I would try to find a nice hood for the front sight instead.

Sorry, I didn't see your post before I posted the last time. Was the hood a standard item? I have seen some with hoods and others without so I am unsure if mine is missing or never actually had one. The double set trigger would be nice but if it isn't possible, I'll shed no tears. The single breaks clean and is very crisp so it will still be a very nice hunter.

If I were to locate a hood for the front sight, where would I start?

Paul.

--------------------

Bagboy
.224 member

#260644 - 18/02/15 04:11 AM

It did have a hood originally. You can change the triggers but I think you will have to change the triggerguard because the single triggerguard is not long enough for the DT's. I would not refinish the stock if it was my rifle.

samthedog
.224 member

#260645 - 18/02/15 05:10 AM

Quote:

It did have a hood originally. You can change the triggers but I think you will have to change the triggerguard because the single triggerguard is not long enough for the DT's. I would not refinish the stock if it was my rifle.

I found the sight hoods. It appears Tom has some:

A.W Tompkins

It appears that a hood will set me back $40 plus postage. I'll see how I feel about the stock when I get it. Would refinishing it reduce the value or are you a fan of leaving things original? Just curious.

Paul.

--------------------

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #260646 - 18/02/15 05:48 AM

Mannlicher Schönauer Mod NO in caliber 6,5x55 is not so uncommon in Sweden, yours neighbour land, samthedog.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

samthedog
.224 member

Re: Steyr Schönauer 6.5 x 55 1964 [Re: Igorrock]
      #260648 - 18/02/15 07:38 AM

Quote:

Mannlicher Schönauer Mod NO in caliber 6,5x55 is not so uncommon in Sweden, yours neighbour land, samthedog.

True... that is where this rifle originally came from. The guy I bought it from purchased it in Sweden originally, 4 years ago for $2000 USD. Why he paid so much I don't know. If he hadn't given me ammunition and loading dies I never would have bought it. I saw a nice .222 for sale that was immaculate. It was just too small for what I want to hunt and had to pass on it.

Paul.

--------------------

Norman4
.300 member

Loc: Vermont,USA
      #260650 - 18/02/15 08:30 AM

Simpsons LTD. here in the US is currently advertising a 1964 Mannlicher Schonauer in 6.5x55. They are advertising it as a Model GK. They are asking $1995US including the claw mounts and rings. This caliber is rare here in the US. I expect Simsons got this rifle from Scandinavia too, as they import from there frequently.

Bagboy
.224 member

Re: Steyr Schönauer 6.5 x 55 1964 [Re: Norman4]
      #260654 - 18/02/15 09:34 AM

As long as the stock is decent looking and from the pictures it is I would not do anything to it. As for a collectible rifle it would hurt the value and I am a guy that likes to leave things original if at all possible.
I don't know if it makes a difference to you but you might want to check with Tom and see if that's an original Mannlicher Schoenauer hood or a reproduction, I know a few years ago he was talking about have some made. It would still look better even if it is a reproduction.

Bagboy
.224 member

#260655 - 18/02/15 09:38 AM

Paul,

The 222 would be a Steyr Mannlicher, totally different then your Mannlicher Schoenauer. I didn't know if you knew the difference. If so please ignore.

samthedog
.224 member

#260656 - 18/02/15 09:59 AM

Quote:

Paul,

The 222 would be a Steyr Mannlicher, totally different then your Mannlicher Schoenauer. I didn't know if you knew the difference. If so please ignore.

The rifle is a Mannlicher SL:

Mannlicher SL

I was very tempted as it was cheaper than what I bought however for hunting it is quite limited as it can only be used for roe deer. I was considering a Sako 375 H&H as well but decided it was a little more rifle than I needed and the ammo was too pricey:

Sako 375

Both these rifles were cheaper than what I ended up purchasing but I have no regrets. I wanted something that was a good allrounder and a classic and the 6.5 x 55 does that well. It will pair up nicely with my FN Browning sa22 from 1920 which will be used on birds.

Paul.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #260709 - 19/02/15 10:24 AM

Hi Paul,

Looks like it will be a good working hunting rifle.

You mentioned wanting to use it for deer hunting. What are planning to hunt? In Norway?

I have hunted a few times in the Nord-Odal region.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (19/02/15 06:41 PM)

samthedog
.224 member

Re: Steyr Schönauer 6.5 x 55 1964 [Re: NitroX]
      #260724 - 19/02/15 05:41 PM

G'day Nitrox. I am currently living in Buskerud, about an hour from Oslo and there are hunting opportunities here to hunt roe deer, hjort ( I don't know the species name in English), reihndeer and moose. I lived in Telemark for 4 years and have a friend that has allowed me to hunt on her land there. On her property I can hunt the full range of animals from birds, fox, hare and deer.

I will be getting a weapon passport for my rifles and will also head across the border to a friends place in Sweden and hunt wild pigs. Since moving to Norway from Oz I haven't done much hunting but am planning on making up for lost time.

Paul.

--------------------

Edited by samthedog (20/02/15 01:38 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #260725 - 19/02/15 06:38 PM

Hi Paul,

hjort is Norwegian for deer per the translator I have. I am guessing it is red deer or perhaps fallow. There are certainly red deer in Norway. What do they look like?

It sounds like you have some good hunting opportunities. How easy is it to get the firearms licence? I've always borrowed a rifle from friends when hunting there. Easier for a non resident foreignor and also as I travel through several different countries, much easier than getting permits from them all.

We have a number of good guys on here from Norway and Sweden, and Denmark and Finland.

I think you will enjoy using your new rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (19/02/15 06:42 PM)

samthedog
.224 member

Re: Steyr Schönauer 6.5 x 55 1964 [Re: NitroX]
      #260739 - 20/02/15 01:44 AM

I just checked the Cervus elaphus which is their technical name and it is the red deer as you suggested. The hunting licence requires me to sit a theory test and taking a practical shooting test each year which is not an issue. I can then get my rifles and have a passport made for them so I can take them over the border for hunting. It is some stuffing about but once it is done, it's not a big deal to keep current.

I have Norwegian permanent residency and speak the hurgen-flurg (Swedish Chef reference from the muppets there) fluently so figuring out the process and navigating the rules should not be a major issue.

The only concern is that the practical test requires 5 shots into a target and I am hearing rumours that the Mannlicher does not lend itself well to firing more than 3 rounds at a time as the barrel heat really affects the accuracy. Can anyone chime in as to wether this is true or not?

Paul.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #260740 - 20/02/15 02:32 AM

I do not know specifically about the Man. rifles, but a Ruger full stock international turned from a 3" rifle to a 1/2" shooter merely by free floating the barrel from action to the forend cap, which was tight to the barrel.
I read about this bedding treatment for all full stocks in a gun magazine, a few decades ago.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: Steyr Schönauer 6.5 x 55 1964 [Re: DarylS]
      #260744 - 20/02/15 03:11 AM

Thats a nice rifly and I would leave it exactly as it is. Over here they are making £1,500 to £2,000 in that sort of condition. I certainly wouldn't try and refinish the stock - the odd ding, knock all just add charachter and have a story to tell. They generally shoot pretty well and certainly more than accurate enough for 95% of hunting requirements. No you are not going to shoot clover leaf sized groups rapidly all day long, but will happily put a bullet through the vitals of any animal you choose to shoot at any sort of reasonable range.

The tang safety is a nice addition - probably not the original. The twin set triggers are horrible when unset, and too light for hunting purposes (cold hands etc) when set - although tey do look nice.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Steyr Schönauer 6.5 x 55 1964 [Re: HeymSR20]
      #260745 - 20/02/15 03:17 AM

Quote:

The only concern is that the practical test requires 5 shots into a target and I am hearing rumours that the Mannlicher does not lend itself well to firing more than 3 rounds at a time as the barrel heat really affects the accuracy.

We have same shooting test for moose/deer hunting in Finland and I have never heard any problem to pass it with full stock Mannlicher Schönauer if the shooter just could do his work.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

GPJ12345
.300 member

Reged: 18/08/12
Loc: South Africa
      #260751 - 20/02/15 04:29 AM

Quote:

I just checked the Cervus elaphus which is their technical name and it is the red deer as you suggested. The hunting licence requires me to sit a theory test and taking a practical shooting test each year which is not an issue. I can then get my rifles and have a passport made for them so I can take them over the border for hunting. It is some stuffing about but once it is done, it's not a big deal to keep current.

I have Norwegian permanent residency and speak the hurgen-flurg (Swedish Chef reference from the muppets there) fluently so figuring out the process and navigating the rules should not be a major issue.

The only concern is that the practical test requires 5 shots into a target and I am hearing rumours that the Mannlicher does not lend itself well to firing more than 3 rounds at a time as the barrel heat really affects the accuracy. Can anyone chime in as to wether this is true or not?

Paul.

Good day to you Paul
Please keep in mind not one rifle respond in the same way, heat up in the same way, we usually tend to lend our ears to opinions of other people usually not even owning such a rifle , Tony Sanchez- Arrino points this out in his book, where a lot of people gave their opinions on double rifle calibers that do not have own the specific caliber they have the said opinion of. Get the rifle , test it and see how it shoots , do not bother your self on issues not conducive at this stage. Please I am not criticizing you I know you are excited and you should be since this is really a beautiful rifle, maybe not scarce in Finland or other countries , but surely in my country...keep it as original as possible, this is only my opinion, on the end it is still your rifle to do what you like with it...but enjoy this rifle...

Regards

Gert

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: Steyr Schönauer 6.5 x 55 1964 [Re: GPJ12345]
      #260762 - 20/02/15 08:09 AM

My combination gun heats up and shots go high. If I take a quick three shots, first is on the money, second half an inch high, third about 2". When zeroing I just take my time, if I was doing a shooting test, I would just take as long as possible / and or adjust accordingly.

samthedog
.224 member

Re: Steyr Schönauer 6.5 x 55 1964 [Re: HeymSR20]
      #260766 - 20/02/15 08:49 AM

Quote:

The tang safety is a nice addition - probably not the original. The twin set triggers are horrible when unset, and too light for hunting purposes (cold hands etc) when set - although tey do look nice.

I was told by the chap I bought the rifle from that it was factory fitted. Apparently the original owner, a Swede, ordered it from factory and it came with the slide safety as the tab safety won't work as the scope interferes with it. It certainly looked well fitted and the guy seemed to know his rifles.

Quote:

We have same shooting test for moose/deer hunting in Finland and I have never heard any problem to pass it with full stock Mannlicher Schönauer if the shooter just could do his work.

I am a decent shot and have hunted a great deal so as long as the rifle is not way off it should be OK. I may borrow a friend's rifle for the test and skip using the Steyr until I become familiar with it's quirks.

Quote:

Get the rifle , test it and see how it shoots , do not bother your self on issues not conducive at this stage. Please I am not criticizing you I know you are excited and you should be since this is really a beautiful rifle, maybe not scarce in Finland or other countries , but surely in my country...keep it as original as possible, this is only my opinion, on the end it is still your rifle to do what you like with it...but enjoy this rifle...

Regards

Gert

Hello Gert, that is good advice. I was looking for info relating to the accuracy as a chap at work mentioned this and I wanted to get some info from you gentlemen. His opinion was that although there can be a loss of accuracy, it was a positive thing as it meant the rifle would likely have spent little time at the range - explaining why the barrel was in great shape for a vintage rifle. I am waiting to get the rifle after which it will get a good clean, inspection and then I will decide where to go with it. I tend to keep my tools and machines original and my rifle may be no exception. I have a 1964 model Deckel FP1 and a 65 model Colchester Chipmaster both in wonderful, original condition. I have a thing for 60's equipment and tools...

Paul.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11784

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com